Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

I have been mining almost non stop on that model without issue. As long as it's not a factory defective model it's pretty great

Any coil whine? I have an evga 970 and there is a coil whine that really is starting to annoy me. Was going to upgrade to a 1080. Also does it have a zero rpm mode when idle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ughhhh posted:

Any coil whine? I have an evga 970 and there is a coil whine that really is starting to annoy me. Was going to upgrade to a 1080. Also does it have a zero rpm mode when idle?

Yes on zero-rpm mode. Coil whine tends to be more dependent on the particular card you have rather than the model, for instance I have an EVGA 970 with no noticeable coil whine and I have seen reports of coil whine for most of the cards on the market.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ughhhh posted:

None on mine but it's a more fixable problem than it used to be.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Paul MaudDib posted:

The prices we've got are the prices we've got. And Ampere is probably going to be a notch more expensive too.

NVIDIA and AMD need to just sack up and order more GPUs now that cryptomining is a thing that isn't likely to go away.

i'm waiting for prices to crash so i can finally upgrade my gpu :smith:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Nvidia should install a feature into video cards that detects bit coining and then immediately catches fire

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

logikv9 posted:

i'm waiting for prices to crash so i can finally upgrade my gpu :smith:

nice one, its great how used last gen nvidia is the only reasonably priced game in town

Google Butt posted:

Nvidia should install a feature into video cards that detects bit coining and then immediately catches fire

same but for AMD if it detects you arent mining.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fauxtool posted:

nice one, its great how used last gen nvidia is the only reasonably priced game in town

the funny thing is Maxwell is still probably more efficient at mining than a 290X or w/e, or especially GCN 1.0

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah out of the box, but rx580 undervolted is pretty hard to beat profit wise. That said they are all pretty bad purchases even at msrp when its going to take 100 days to break even. 100 days ago it was only 60 days and by design it doesnt ever get better. No loving way its going to be paying out the same 100 days from now

Has anyone experimented much with undervolting 9xx GPUs? I know my 980ti did ok stock so the hashing power is there.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Consider just buying and mining back the difference.

Fauxtool posted:

yeah out of the box, but rx580 undervolted is pretty hard to beat profit wise. That said they are all pretty bad purchases even at msrp when its going to take 100 days to break even. 100 days ago it was only 60 days and by design it doesnt ever get better. No loving way its going to be paying out the same 100 days from now

Has anyone experimented much with undervolting 9xx GPUs? I know my 980ti did ok stock so the hashing power is there.

You are assuming the value of the currencies themselves doesn't appreciate, which they are doing at a blistering pace atm.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Risky Bisquick posted:

Consider just buying and mining back the difference.

You are assuming the value of the currencies themselves doesn't appreciate, which they are doing at a blistering pace atm.

The miners arent making 4x more than before though. All the new people coming in just keeps raising the difficulty. Its a problem that is solving itself

Yeah buying a vega 56 or 1080ti and mining while you sleep is a somewhat "smart move™" even at MSRP

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxtool posted:

The miners arent making 4x more than before though. All the new people coming in just keeps raising the difficulty. Its a problem that is solving itself

Yeah buying a vega 56 or 1080ti and mining while you sleep is a somewhat "smart move™" even at MSRP
The cards basically pays for itself within a few month. I didn't realize the current state of the market and thought ASICs killed GPU mining a long time ago but at these prices it's super profitable. I should've bought a 1080 the moment prices went over like 6k now I'm wondering if I should or just wait for Volta and hope the prices/difficulty didn't gently caress everything up yet.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Google Butt posted:

yeah this. downright loving unconscionable waste of energy

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Whelp, ordered that 1080ti SC Black. Now to decide if my 980ti is going into the wifes machine or just sell it for $300-$400 :canada: while it's still worth ~something~

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Whelp, ordered that 1080ti SC Black. Now to decide if my 980ti is going into the wifes machine or just sell it for $300-$400 :canada: while it's still worth ~something~

Sell it while it's still worth something then just buy something used when Nvidia next gen. Once Volta or whatever comes out, I doubt you'll get $250+ for a 980 ti if you can get a 1160 for $250. Which could potentially be around the same performance.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 2, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

slidebite posted:

https://www.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator/nvidia-gtx-980-ti?e=0.11&currency=USD

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Wait, I have a ASUS STIX 1070, can I sell this thing and upgrade to a 1080 Ti for marginal cost or something due to bitcoiners?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Raskolnikov posted:

Wait, I have a ASUS STIX 1070, can I sell this thing and upgrade to a 1080 Ti for marginal cost or something due to bitcoiners?

If you call ~$350-400 on top of what you'll get for the 1070 a 'marginal cost,' sure. Used 1070s are going for ~$325-375ish, depending on condition, demand, and which brand/SKU. The best price for a 1080Ti on BF/CM was $699 before a few promos that brought it down ~$30 more (they're all now back above $700 because the weeks immediately following BF/CM are when the retailers are cashing in on gift buyers and oh gently caress gotta-have-its). It's a bad deal from a 'sunk cost' perspective - since you'd be selling your 1070 to then spend as much money as you spent on the 1070 (if not more) to get a 1080Ti.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Raskolnikov posted:

You can get maybe $375 for your card.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
how safe is it to buy used GPUs from (presumably) bitcoin miners? the last time i checked with buttcoin a few years back the heat generated / how much they pushed their hardware meant that one of the reasons they decided to sell their merch at all was because the heat and long-term usage physically damaged the cards

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd be more likely to buy one if my intention was to watercool it, then I wouldn't care at all.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Get one with a serial-based warranty. The ex-miner cards I've purchased had the fans bearings go bad before too long.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

logikv9 posted:

how safe is it to buy used GPUs from (presumably) bitcoin miners? the last time i checked with buttcoin a few years back the heat generated / how much they pushed their hardware meant that one of the reasons they decided to sell their merch at all was because the heat and long-term usage physically damaged the cards

Wouldn't trust it unless they are up front about the conditions. For example, you can run cards at 60% power cap and they will stay fairly cool and not over work the fans. Or you can BIOS mod and completely go overboard and pull more watts than the card is designed to handle - and then keep them in a hot room.

Pretty huge difference in card lifetime I imagine.

EDIT: Anecdotally - I have an old AMD 5450 and a somewhat newer AMD 7700 that I had mined with back in 2014 ish that are now on gaming duty in two friends PCs and are still going strong. I had kept them both in cases with poo poo loads of airflow in a controlled data center.. your mileage may vary.

Numinous fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 3, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah get a brand with a serial-based 3-year warranty, those are (in rough order of ease of RMA from easiest to worst): EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, Asus.

It's pretty much just the fans that can go bad; you can't really overvolt any more and even cards that are pegged at 90c are not really going to care.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Pascal cards are too new to worry about. Even the hoards of 290's mining for years at (relatively) crazy temperatures were considered a good deal used. Pascal cards are far newer (less maximum time being used) and run far cooler, fan bearings have a much better chance at a much longer life that way. The actual GPU itself and PCB components I wouldn't worry about at all.

Over time that may change once the bad eggs start popping up. Almost for certain it will be a series of fans that dont hold up at some point. But by then, used prices drop accordingly as well.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Rumor: AMD will stop producing Vega reference cards.

Get ready for prices to spike even more, on top of the whole mining thing.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 4, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pretty sure they already stopped making vega cards shortly after it came out. The shortages were painfully obvious.

You cant get vega at a good price if its even in stock and nothing will really have changed

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Paul MaudDib posted:

What, did Apple get enough of them already?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Apple doesn't use reference cards. AMD just supplies the chip and some software, everything else is Apple designed.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Paul MaudDib posted:

Says they're stopping to provide more chips for aftermarket cards.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

OhFunny posted:

Says they're stopping to provide more chips for aftermarket cards.

Which sounds good, but in practice it means they're just shifting their production around, not actually increasing it. And the quantities they're producing are, to be blunt, wildly insufficient. Try finding a Vega for less than $150 over MSRP right now - and that's how it's been since launch. And once the board partners get involved, they'll tack on another $100 premium over MSRP for their coolers/PCBs. The best-case scenario here is pretty much that prices stay $100 over MSRP, the worst case scenario is they jump up to $250 over MSRP or beyond.

Vega just continues to get sillier and sillier. Paying the GSync tax is literally cheaper than paying the Vega tax, and that's not a healthy thing for the GPU market as a whole.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 4, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

pretty hillarious drama surrounding Zotac and one of their sponsored SC showmatch events, admittedly not very relevant to their GPUs but we have enough sad vega news in here. :v:
content here and explanation here

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

eames posted:

pretty hillarious drama surrounding Zotac and one of their sponsored SC showmatch events, admittedly not very relevant to their GPUs but we have enough sad vega news in here. :v:

LOL at how annoyed the other player is. That was like Mayweather vs Terri Schiavo.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 4, 2017

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Paul MaudDib posted:

And the quantities they're producing are, to be blunt, wildly insufficient.
Wildly insufficient for who though? Outside of fanboys, miners, and people with cold homes, who really wants a vega card?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

SlayVus posted:

Sell it while it's still worth something then just buy something used when Nvidia next gen. Once Volta or whatever comes out, I doubt you'll get $250+ for a 980 ti if you can get a 1160 for $250. Which could potentially be around the same performance.

The few listed locally are asking $400 :canada: - so if I can get $300+ for it locally, I'd be willing to do that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

eames posted:

If you're going to have the cameras on them _all the time_ you were clearly expecting something to happen. I don't know of any top-tier event where the cameras are on the players the entire time like that.

Seems to me like they asked him to spice things up a bit, and are secretly excited that they're getting viral traffic.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

They must be. I'd watch that winning player play again if he's going to do poo poo like that, particularly if the losing player gets so totally pissy, I've never wanted to watch esports before.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

They must be. I'd watch that winning player play again if he's going to do poo poo like that, particularly if the losing player gets so totally pissy, I've never wanted to watch esports before.

Same. Highly amusing, and genuinely impressive.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

LOL at how annoyed the other player is. That was like Mayweather vs Terri Schiavo.

:vince:

Best simile of all time

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Wow, Red Devil Vega 64 was on sale tonight at Newegg. I'm really surprised given that partners were bitching at the start of November about the lack of timelines. AMD must have shipped chips mid-November and partners must have turned them around within days.

Apparently they will be back with more stock soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what about 56, the one actually worth buying?