Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Like the story can tend to turn into “wow look at these Hollywood sickos” rather than “abuse is rife, even amongst high profile men with a reputation to protect, victims are everywhere, even amongst women who appear far more powerful and with more agency than most”

This is my main issue. It also descends very quickly into (((Hollywood))) territory. The crux of it is that if I manage a 7-11 and rape my staff no one gives a gently caress because I'm just a 7-11 guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
yeah my personal philosophy is not "look at all these hollywood sickos", it's "look at these loving men". it's the same way i feel about mass shooters

of course i am also extremely anti-semitic

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

pokemon posted:

yeah my personal philosophy is not "look at all these hollywood sickos", it's "look at these loving men". it's the same way i feel about mass shooters

of course i am also extremely anti-semitic

Let me tell you about the crimes committed by Ariel..

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I’m basically the witch king of angmar or whatever “consume no media made by the hand of man”

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

lovely analogy as well since it's more like selling the family home and then renting it off the new owner.

Also, you've sold it for under its true value and given them your car for free to help pay them for the years of good service that they will surely provide you in the future.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

JBP posted:

When is the Tarantino stuff going to happen? How is that man clean?

I mean he's probably part of a fetishist community rather than just being a weird lone creeper so his behaviour is probably policed better.

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
abuse by famous people is such a weird situation and because of the cult of celebrity it's become massively widespread in a way that it never was. most abusive men only manage to abuse a few women in their lives, because it's a personal, intimate thing; getting their claws properly into a victim and then maintaining control consumes a huge amount of time and energy. but fame gives them instant access on that level to millions of people. the abuser is still an abuser and was always going to be, but now instead of a few victims, there are many. each victim is just as important and hurt by the experience as if they'd been the only one - but society doesn't treat them like that, and they get diminished and drowned out just by dint of being one in a crowd, not to mention the obvious constant suspicion and accusations of being in it for money/exposure/attention. and because america and to a lesser extent australia suck rear end regarding availability of services, only a small fraction of the victims will ever get the help that they need to actually deal with what happened to them and get on with their lives. and then they're subjected to relentless ongoing secondary abuse from the famous person's fans, not to mention the damage to their life over the long term. (none of these people who are speaking out and being named will ever work in media or entertainment again.)

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe

tithin posted:

Let me tell you about the crimes committed by Ariel..
nobody in this thread can even hope to understand how complex that man's life and works were

but yes he did kill several thousand people and institute a genocide, which was wrong

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Freudian Slip posted:

You can enjoy Wagner, he was never a Nazi as he died in 1883. Nazis did enjoy the poo poo out of his music though and appropriated his work.

He was a proto Nazi. He was a hardcore nationalist who hated the Jews. For further information, please consult his writing "Jewry in Music".

He was also a fan of loving married people.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

JBP posted:

I thought his reaction to the Weinstein stuff was super interesting. Like, he came straight out and went "anyone who's high up and says they didn't know this poo poo was going on is lying, we all loving knew".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-20/quentin-tarantino-ashamed-he-knew-about-harvey-weinstein/9068900

I mean, while everyone else did their absolute best to distance themselves from the man and throw themselves at the mercy of "we had no idea", Tarantino I think was actually kind of brave by being like "nope those are lovely excuses, we knew".

pokemon posted:

you will have to become the next bourne

:ninja:

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
i consider ariel sharon and osama bin laden to be on about the same level of general karmic negativity, which is to say that they both had good points and bad points but at the end of the day were responsible for many, many deaths and didn't really achieve anything. i hope to achieve more with my life than they did, with a smaller death toll (hopefully just one man: donald j trump). incidentally, osama was also a devoted husband and father and although his culture is different to mine it sounds like he also had a deep respect for women. september 11 kind of wasn't even his fault, just like sabra-shatilla kind of wasn't even ariel's fault. both these incidents were caused, at their root, by america; but neither of these idiots did anything to avert them when they had the power to, and for that reason have probably both been reincarnated as cane toads.

pokemon fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 4, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zenithe posted:

I will never give a poo poo about this.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
tbqh i'm just surprised that the username 'pokemon' was still around circa december 2017

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
(i have no reason to believe cane toads are anything other than gentle and sociable creatures, like all toads)

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe

Milky Moor posted:

tbqh i'm just surprised that the username 'pokemon' was still around circa december 2017
i was surprised too. pikachu was my first choice but it was taken lol

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
i wish there was a photo of osama bin laden and ariel sharon standing side by side because lol

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
in conclusion donald j. trump must be impeached with a bullet

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rip avs, your fiery light blinds all who look too close

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe

tithin posted:

Rip avs, your fiery light blinds all who look too close
ps - i'm auditioning for hard quiz season 3 next weekend

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

pokemon posted:

ps - i'm auditioning for hard quiz season 3 next weekend

I will pay you cash money to goatse them

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

pokemon posted:

in conclusion donald j. trump must be impeached with a bullet

Dear Various United States Security and Intelligence Agencies,

This man does not speak for me.

Best regards,

JBP

cc: Richard Kyanka

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Not the hero we deserve, but the hero we need.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

JBP posted:

Dear Various United States Security and Intelligence Agencies,

This man does not speak for me.

Best regards,

JBP

cc: Richard Kyanka

Way to misgender pokemon

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
i am a red/blue/yellow pokemon, i pre-date the concept of gender

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Watching those games get destroyed is a loving art form tbh

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

pokemon posted:

i am a red/blue/yellow pokemon, i pre-date the concept of gender

Nidoran♂
Nidoran♀

no true pokemon master

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

HookShot posted:

The biggest one for me is going to be arrested development. I don't think I can watch it with much enjoyment anymore knowing that Jeffrey Tambor is a sexual predator.

If only it was some kind of victim-less offense they could do some great "no touching!" jokes from it.

JBP posted:

I can see Tarantino being totally clean because I don't think he has the filter required to keep public and private personas of himself separate.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Zenithe posted:

He was a proto Nazi. He was a hardcore nationalist who hated the Jews. For further information, please consult his writing "Jewry in Music".

Cheers for that.

The mother-in-law is a massive fan of his music. She corrected me when I called him a Nazi years ago.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the government lost another vote in the house of reps due to their MPs being absent

can you imagine the response if Gillard had hosed up even half as much as Turnbull and his whips have?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

HookShot posted:

I'll probably cry if Matt Damon gets caught up in this and I can't watch Jason Bourne movies anymore though, TBH.

I haven't heard any allegations against him but he's never criticised or spoken out about best mate/serial sexual harasser Ben Affleck.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Although I do think the intense othering and monstering of anyone who is accused of predatory behaviour is perhaps hiding the real horror: that it is actually mundane, widespread, and carried out by otherwise seemingly normal men

This is 100% the truth. I can understand that many men might not realise just how widespread this issue is, but I doubt there is a woman alive who doesn't have at least one story.

I worked for a male dominated company for 15 years and in that time I was inappropriately touched, kissed, co-workers took photos up my skirt. I once attended a compulsory work event that had some highly sexualised entertainment. I complained about that one, and that became the office joke among my boss and peers - "remember that time fv got offended by that dancer, hahaha".

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

BBJoey posted:

the government lost another vote in the house of reps due to their MPs being absent

can you imagine the response if Gillard had hosed up even half as much as Turnbull and his whips have?

What on?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BBJoey posted:

It was a vote calling on the government to allow manus refugees be settled in New Zealand

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Government loses vote on New Zealand refugee offer – politics live
House of Representatives vote agreeing with a Senate resolution to accept New Zealand’s offer to settle refugees won 73 to 72, with two MPs absent, before government calls for second vote

Thank gently caress.

Now lets ram through more stuff like banning coal and guillotining the rich

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I haven't heard any allegations against him but he's never criticised or spoken out about best mate/serial sexual harasser Ben Affleck.

This is 100% the truth. I can understand that many men might not realise just how widespread this issue is, but I doubt there is a woman alive who doesn't have at least one story.

I worked for a male dominated company for 15 years and in that time I was inappropriately touched, kissed, co-workers took photos up my skirt. I once attended a compulsory work event that had some highly sexualised entertainment. I complained about that one, and that became the office joke among my boss and peers - "remember that time fv got offended by that dancer, hahaha".

Jesus Christ. I recall Ben Lomas did a show at a western Melbourne concreting co's Christmas do and so outraged was the boss that his female employees resisted having strippers he actively spiked Lomas and got him booed for being the stripper replacement.

On the Damon stuff (and in general I suppose) bro code or whatever you want to call it is always a strong factor. You're also talking about friends who defend one another and probably see the good in the other more than the bad, so they focus on that. I know I've had situations where I've privately pulled up mates and spoken to them about behaviour (same for them to me) and you wouldn't call the newspaper and tell on them in real life because no one gives a poo poo about nobodies. I also suppose I am talking more like "you treated this person poorly" more than "stop punching your spouse" or something truly heavy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Government loses vote on New Zealand refugee offer – politics live
House of Representatives vote agreeing with a Senate resolution to accept New Zealand’s offer to settle refugees won 73 to 72, with two MPs absent, before government calls for second vote

Thank gently caress.

Now lets ram through more stuff like banning coal and guillotining the rich

That's a surprise, and hopefully a sign that they've realised that there isn't really any more political hay to be made out of torturing refugees.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh god.

buzzfeed posted:

Geoffrey Rush Steps Down From Screen Academy Role After "Inappropriate Behaviour" Complaint

The Sydney Theatre Company is still yet to disclose details of the allegation.

The 66-year-old actor was the subject of a complaint lodged to the Sydney Theatre Company about his alleged "inappropriate behaviour" during a production of King Lear.

"The complainant has requested that their identity be withheld," a spokeswoman told the Daily Telegraph.

In a statement sent to BuzzFeed News, Rush said there had been no provision of "any details, circumstances, allegations or events that can be meaningfully responded to".

Rush announced on Saturday (via his lawyer Nicholas Pullen) he would step down as president of the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts, "effective immediately".

“Certain recent media reports have made untenable allegations concerning my standing in the entertainment community," the statement said. "It is unreasonable that my professional colleagues should be somehow associated with such allegations."

Rush said the decision had "not been made lightly".

"However, in the current climate of innuendo and unjustifiable reporting, I believe the decision to make a clean break to clear the air is the best for all concerned," he said.

AACTA said in a statement it accepted and respected Rush’s decision to voluntarily step aside.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

They reheld the vote apparently. No idea what grounds they used to revote. Quorum exists for a reason.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ewe2 posted:

Oh god.

Rush is a pig.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I thought Rush had been in trouble for awhile? He was on the cover of a Courier Fail over a week ago with the headline King Leer, I remember because I cringed so hard I broke something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Anyone surprised that Geoffrey rush is a weirdo creep has clearly never seen a picture of him

• Locked thread