Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Tama is incredibly annoying, and waiting for yet another final fantasy character to come swooping in got a little tedious.

also if they're going to have a speed up button, let me default it to on - holding down the right trigger 70% of the game gets tiring.

I agree with all of your complaints but these two here are probably why I couldn't be assed to finish the game despite those complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I don't know if it's only in the PC version, but there is totally a config option to switch the speedup from hold to toggle...

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I havent even finished my current playthrough of Zodiac Age and I already want to start a second with different set of jobs. This time doing it old school with single job per character

Also I need to start that drat trial mode so I can unlock lvl 1 mode

If it takes 3 releases to turn an ok game into an excellent one, I,'ll take it

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 2, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
e: I've changed my mind on this one.

e2: A VERY FINAL FANTASY FANART CHRISTMAS - DAY 2

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 2, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
This isn't merry at all.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Wow, this Titan fight fuckin' sucks. Survive until the Imperials put him in a vulnerable state and then try to take 5% off his massive health bar? At least the stupid Imperial bot you fought with Cor kinda made SENSE to fight.

e: quote is not edit

Double e: and then they beat it in a cutscene. gently caress that.

Triple e: Thanks to whoever told me to rent chocobos before the Titan event. That said, you get spawned right next to a renting station, so as long as they're unlocked, you can buy it then.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 3, 2017

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Bogart posted:

Wow, this Titan fight fuckin' sucks. Survive until the Imperials put him in a vulnerable state and then try to take 5% off his massive health bar? At least the stupid Imperial bot you fought with Cor kinda made SENSE to fight.

e: quote is not edit

Double e: and then they beat it in a cutscene. gently caress that.

Triple e: Thanks to whoever told me to rent chocobos before the Titan event. That said, you get spawned right next to a renting station, so as long as they're unlocked, you can buy it then.

Actually Titan is easy

Hint, kill the imperials instead
I dont know why it works, it just does

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
About four hours too late, but thanks anyway. You're right, though, attacking the forces who are bringing down Titan for me to attack sounds like the dumbest thing in the world!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So I'm making my second attempt to get into FFXV. I bounced off the combat pretty hard the first time. I like a lot about the game but I find the combat confusing and frustrating and incredibly lovely. I stopped playing the first time at the cave behind the waterfall, and I just got there again and remembered why I quit. I'm like four or five levels over the recommended level but I go in there and some of the regular enemies can practically one shot me. It's an unfun slog.

What the hell am I missing? This game always gets maligned in the PS4 thread for the combat being simple and easy, so what gives? I think blocking in the most frustrating thing for me. 90% of the time the block thing pops up I hit square and nothing loving happens.

I really feel like I must be missing something really obvious since everyone talks about how easy this game is. I do know about weapon types, elemental weaknesses and such, it's not my first FF.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Are you holding Square?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

kirbysuperstar posted:

Are you holding Square?

You have to hold it down? I was tapping it. Thought it was a timing thing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

When the parry notifier comes up, hold the block button, don't tap it.

Also holding block will block everything but some powerful swings. You only ever need to tap it to dodge if you want to invest in the Blink or w/e ability to return MP on a successful phase.

Similarily, hold down the attack button. Pushing the stick in different directions is what will get you different moves.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

esperterra posted:

Also holding block will block everything but some powerful swings. You only ever need to tap it to dodge if you want to invest in the Blink or w/e ability to return MP on a successful phase.

Similarily, hold down the attack button. Pushing the stick in different directions is what will get you different moves.

Jesus. This stuff could probably have been better explained. I ran through the tutorials twice.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They tell you multiple times to hold the buttons to do stuff

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, the tutorial is kind of poo poo for how long it takes. It does explain this stuff but not very well.

Also I think if you load into the tutorial you can look up weapon move sets, though I never did it myself.

e: maybe try the different control types, too, the default kind of sucks. I went with B.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Is FF XV fun/playable now that it's been patched to hell and back? I played about 15 hours in a long time ago and got a little past the part where you crawl around in the woods around a behemoth. Should I start over?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

screech on the beach posted:

Is FF XV fun/playable now that it's been patched to hell and back? I played about 15 hours in a long time ago and got a little past the part where you crawl around in the woods around a behemoth. Should I start over?

If you didn't like it then you won't like it now. I personally played the hell out of it from the first week on, and have enjoyed pretty much every change and added feature.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, other than some added story content (barely any) and tweaking chapter 13 to be less tedious, it's the same game.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
It was fun enough but I heard about all the chapter 13 stuff and put it down for a while. Didn't know if they made any other changes. I'll start where I left off and ride around in the sweet car.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

esperterra posted:

Thanks dog. I finally got through that cave this morning and combat was like 10x better knowing these things. It still seemed like a pretty significant spike in difficulty given that I was overleveled and it's a main story mission. The Ronin in particular are giant gently caress you enemies and I definitely had my HP wiped once despite holding block when the block symbol cane up.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I'm putting together a Necromunda gang and I'm playing House Escher and I gave all these women placeholder names after FF characters. I decided that I'm too lazy to make up more appropriate names for them so what's a good name for a gang of FF women? They're all from different FF games so like The Returners or NORA don't make any sense.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

YRP, clearly.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I'm trying to come up with something thematic but I also don't take Warhammer and its related properties super seriously so I was thinking The Gullwings are something corny like that lol

Edit: I googled YRP. I never played FFX-2 so I had no idea. Hilariously, none of those women are in my gang

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DrNutt posted:

Thanks dog. I finally got through that cave this morning and combat was like 10x better knowing these things. It still seemed like a pretty significant spike in difficulty given that I was overleveled and it's a main story mission. The Ronin in particular are giant gently caress you enemies and I definitely had my HP wiped once despite holding block when the block symbol cane up.

if you warp to a hang point you heal and get all your mp back

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
DAY THREE OF CHRISTMAS and stuff

makoto20
Nov 23, 2006
So I stopped playing Assassin's Creed: Origins to sneak in some Final Fantasy XV before bed and now Noctis and Prompto are wearing Bayek's outfits and assassinating Magitek soldiers and I don't know what's real anymore.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I'm putting together a Necromunda gang and I'm playing House Escher and I gave all these women placeholder names after FF characters. I decided that I'm too lazy to make up more appropriate names for them so what's a good name for a gang of FF women? They're all from different FF games so like The Returners or NORA don't make any sense.
NORA makes sense because Moms Are Tough

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

DACK FAYDEN posted:

NORA makes sense because Moms Are Tough

Oh My God.

"Moms Are Tough" might be the name of my gang.

Thank you.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

esperterra posted:

Yeah, other than some added story content (barely any) and tweaking chapter 13 to be less tedious, it's the same game.

I wouldn't have had half the fun with the game I did if off-roading wasn't in by the time I played it. gently caress the default car.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was a theatre kid in high school and even I would have shoved Hope into a holo-locker given the opportunity.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

I was a theatre kid in high school and even I would have shoved Hope into a holo-locker given the opportunity.

I'm playing through FF13 again right now and he's not nearly as annoying as I remember. He grows up quick after Palompolum and then he's just kinda there until his eidolon fight and then he doesn't do or say much.

Also it's really irritating how many people complain about the behavior of a boy in his early teens who just watched his mom die right in front of him and then gets involved in a war between machine gods who turn him into a magical abomination to do their bidding and he has to look forward to an early death in his early teens. Give the kid some loving slack. None of you would act a whole lot different.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hope's reaction to his mom's death kind of stretches the limits of believability and comes off more like a series of contrivances designed to make him hate Snow for the first half of the game with zero payoff. Like there's no setup for their relationship at all and so no impact when Snow makes a bad decision and his mother dies as a result. It would have been more natural to just write Hope to hate Snow because he's a gigantic dumbass, which is 100% true and involves no mom death.

Anyway, that's not the main reason why I dislike the character. The main reason why I can't stand Hope is that he makes old lady sounds whenever he exerts himself to the slightest degree.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I agree that the thing about Hope blaming Snow for his mom's death was really contrived and dumb and I agree that Snow was hateable enough on his own but that personality clash was there to make it worse for Hope. It's another reason I hate Snow so much. At all times he's some combination of oblivious and stupid and willfully running from his past mistakes and he only sort of kind of a little bit redeems himself when he admits to Hope that he didn't know what the gently caress he was doing but at least he was trying to make up for his mistakes in his own dumbass way.

He still does the annoying anime hero bullshit after that and I just want Lightning to keep punching him forever until he learns to knock that embarrassing poo poo off.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm playing through FF13 again right now and he's not nearly as annoying as I remember. He grows up quick after Palompolum and then he's just kinda there until his eidolon fight and then he doesn't do or say much.

Also it's really irritating how many people complain about the behavior of a boy in his early teens who just watched his mom die right in front of him and then gets involved in a war between machine gods who turn him into a magical abomination to do their bidding and he has to look forward to an early death in his early teens. Give the kid some loving slack. None of you would act a whole lot different.

hope's eidolen fight would have made so much more sense like, earlier. waaaaaay earlier

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Snow is literally just Zidane or Bartz but stuck in a lovely story where heroes can't be heroes because Death Is Inevitable. He's the exact same kind of loud, brash adventurer who can come off as a bit obnoxious or goofy but is legitimately trying to do the good guy thing and the fact that anyone hates him when The Worst Character in 13, Vanille, is standing right there is absolutely baffling to me.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Snow is literally just Zidane or Bartz but stuck in a lovely story where heroes can't be heroes because Death Is Inevitable. He's the exact same kind of loud, brash adventurer who can come off as a bit obnoxious or goofy but is legitimately trying to do the good guy thing and the fact that anyone hates him when The Worst Character in 13, Vanille, is standing right there is absolutely baffling to me.

Zidane is good at what he does and you actually get to see his relationship develop. Snow is nothing but endless fuckups and not even Troy Baker can save him.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Snow has one of the best themes in FF13 though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FaZQoZf4OY

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

morallyobjected posted:

Zidane is good at what he does and you actually get to see his relationship develop. Snow is nothing but endless fuckups and not even Troy Baker can save him.

Yeah but that's more a problem with the fact that the entire plot, cast, and setting of FF13 are terminally underwritten than anything else. 13-2 and LR gave snow a lot more and made him have a pretty fun little arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

STEELGUARD!