Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I just want to see some different movies, yeah. Also, specifically for Fantastic Four, they would not be a good fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Oh I don't know, they got their start direction episodes of Community after all.

Edit: Arrested Development too!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I know.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Dan Didio posted:

The first one was called that in Britain.

So Britain can rename it to Infinity War Part 2 or something. An off the cuff decision back in 2012 should not be stopping greatness.

Yakmouth posted:

I just always feel like in the comics X-Men tend to (narratively) steamroll everything in their path. There are so drat many of them for starters, and they’ve got these insane universe-bending storylines...

...I dunno. As much as I like them, I’m fine with the X-Men being their own thing to be honest. Now the Fantastic Four I would love to see done right — along with all the villains and secondary characters that come with them.

I feel like there's always the weird assumption that an X-Men film has to have 35 mutants in it. They don't. It could easily be a team the size of Guardians of the Galaxy. And sure the X-Men have some massive stories, but who doesn't? I think the obvious method to integrating the X-Men is just to not overcomplicate things. Nobody will really care that much as long as they get to see Spider-Man teaming up with Wolverine.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Do we know for sure Bucky lost his arm in the fall? If not I have an idea on how to introduce Wolverine.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

SonicRulez posted:

So Britain can rename it to Infinity War Part 2 or something. An off the cuff decision back in 2012 should not be stopping greatness.

I feel like there's always the weird assumption that an X-Men film has to have 35 mutants in it. They don't. It could easily be a team the size of Guardians of the Galaxy. And sure the X-Men have some massive stories, but who doesn't? I think the obvious method to integrating the X-Men is just to not overcomplicate things. Nobody will really care that much as long as they get to see Spider-Man teaming up with Wolverine.

Respectfully, this is not something I think the X-Men as an IP is capable of doing. I like the characters, but simple and straightforward has never been a strength of the brand.

As for needing a hoard of mutants in every story, I agree with you that it’s weird, but the writers just can’t seem to help themselves. I mean, in the comics ‘House of M’ was specifically set up as a way of cutting down the mutant population to a “manageable” 198 and how long did that last? A year, even?

To be fair, the numbers problem is kind of baked right into the premise. You need the team itself, another team of badguys to fight — and if you’re going to have a School for Mutants then you need students. Add on the Morlocks, Genosha, Weapon X, Starjammers... I imagine most fans of the property want all of this stuff.

X-Men are a property that can easily sustain three or four films a year on their own. They don’t need the MCU to feel ‘whole’ the way, say, Spiderman does.

The point is entirely moot — it’s going to happen. I’m just not especially itching for it is all.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I find it sad they're blowing their wad on the Infinity Gems this early. I mean yeah people are gonna die, but it's all going to be brought back by someone using the gauntlet AGAIN to make things as they were but different. That would have been a good use of bringing in new actors, younger, to replace certain ones aging out.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
What's gonna happen is they're gonna find the other infinity gauntlet that Odin had, and they're going to put easter eggs in it and trick Thanos into thinking they have god powers too. Then they'll trick him into thinking their gauntlet is WAY COOLER than his and he'll take it and leave the other one behind, which they'll then use to punch him in the dick or something.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jiro posted:

I find it sad they're blowing their wad on the Infinity Gems this early. I mean yeah people are gonna die, but it's all going to be brought back by someone using the gauntlet AGAIN to make things as they were but different. That would have been a good use of bringing in new actors, younger, to replace certain ones aging out.

“This early” being 10 years after the first movie and five years after Thanos was introduced?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey Thanos it's cool you have the gem of space and power, but do you have the gem of updog?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Beachcomber posted:

Do we know for sure Bucky lost his arm in the fall? If not I have an idea on how to introduce Wolverine.

Look at the scars around Nick Fury's missing eye.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I just rewatched Hulk 2008. It really doesn’t feel like an MCU movie.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Dan Didio posted:

Avoid the Russo brothers and Whedon (lmao) and get a good, solid team on a Fantastic Four film and it would be a great kick-start to the next seventeen decades of Marvel films.

Honestly, I'd be really interested to see what Taika Waititi could do with FF. He handles the over-the-top, Kirby aesthetic well, he doesn't seem afraid to go weird but he also is really good with maintaining the emotional core of characters and stories. I can imagine him keeping FF from getting too serious and pompous, that dolt Richards notwithstanding :doom:, but still providing the heart that the family needs to be interesting.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Beachcomber posted:

I am looking forward to seeing various performance charts and line graphs. I went to box office mojo and couldn't figure out how to put one together.

I am dumb :saddowns:

The one I always use is pretty drat good

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Jiro posted:

I find it sad they're blowing their wad on the Infinity Gems this early.

Did you just get thawed out?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Make the fantastic four mischievous college students and make Dr. Doom the dean. Really lend it some heft when he shouts "Riiiichaaaards!" Mr Fantastic uses his powers for basketball, the ever loving thing pretends he's school mascot, Sue is the unconfident sexy nerd girl who just needs to take off her glasses and let down her hair, and Johnny is a real Van Wilder.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yakmouth posted:

As for needing a hoard of mutants in every story, I agree with you that it’s weird, but the writers just can’t seem to help themselves. I mean, in the comics ‘House of M’ was specifically set up as a way of cutting down the mutant population to a “manageable” 198 and how long did that last? A year, even?
The post-House of M status quo lasted two years until Hope was born, then a few more new mutants were created after the Cable series ended. Even since then, they've been fairly restrained in creating new mutant characters (largely because they didn't want Fox using them). That said, it seemed like it was shorter because, while they did cut down the number of mutants on earth, the ones that managed to be saved were, unsurprisingly, almost all X-Men or immediately related characters, so the actual status quo of the comics barely changed.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
You know something's just occurred to me,Thanos will definitely have power over time at some point in the movie,wouldn't it be cool if he aged cap to be what he really is? I thought those special effects were great back then they'd be even better now,i dunno i'd just get a kick out of seeing that,maybe it could be an excuse to see uncle ben as well if they were doing that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just start with IvX except Emma's plan works and kill off the Inhumans. Nobody likes them, and you don't need them anymore.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Harmony Korine for F4.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I just want them to have FF villain rights. Just so we can finally see Moleman and Aunt May marry on thr big screen

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Moleman must be played by Jason Alexander because Aunt May has a thing for stocky, funny, bald men. It all falls apart when she finds out he's engaged.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Regarding JLs numbers, I am a bit surprised it's doing that bad.

While it's gotten lukewarm reviews, it wasn't an outright terrible movie, it's even Ok. Has word of mouth given it a bad buzz?

Will be interesting to see how the DVD sales will go.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Jack Kirby's ghost cursed the movie to try and stop them from doing further harm to the Fourth World.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McCloud posted:

While it's gotten lukewarm reviews, it wasn't an outright terrible movie, it's even Ok. Has word of mouth given it a bad buzz?

I was under the impression that most of the word of mouth was, "It's not bad."

Then again, that might be a problem in itself.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It also came out right around the time that sexual assault in hollywood became a super visible issue and it's two biggest stars were both accused of doing some pretty disgusting stuff. Might have played a bit of a role.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Two biggest?

I heard about the Affleck stuff, are you referring to Whedon? Or the Gal Gadot stuff? (The Gal stuff was an anonymous blog post that never had any substantiation). I know Momoa made some insensitive comments on something recently as well. Cavill is, of course, a saint.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Justice League is doing bad despite apparently being better than the bad dceu movies because people hated the bad dceu movies and most people aren't going to see Part 4 of a series where they hated parts one and two. It's a Goddamn miracle that Wonder Woman survived it but Wonder Woman was extremely good.

They should just put Patty Jenkins in the Russo's role and let her do everything.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wonder woman was a notch above average, but it seems it's the type of average that has mass appeal, and with Snyder moving on she is the best suited to take the reins. Will at least spare us jokes like thirsty and boobplanting

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Affleck and Gadot, yes. They're both pretty disgusting people.

If Jenkins is really pushing that super visible and stupid pitch for Wonder Woman 2, I'm not sure she'll be the saviour of Warner Bros' superhero efforts, but who knows.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I did love the Moviebob take on a Fantastic 4 movie where they're straight up from the 60s but get warped forward in time by the accident. The movie then revolves around their personal struggles adapting to the new world they're in mirroring their struggles with their powers.

Oh and no Doom, he deserves his own movie seperate from the re-introduction to the Fantastic 4.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Affleck and Gadot, yes. They're both pretty disgusting people.

Got any secret info that validates the Gadot thing?
What's the WW2 pitch?

\/ Oh, right.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 4, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He probably means the IDF stuff.

(Supporting the IDF isn't worse than supporting the US military.)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

Harmony Korine for F4.

Clobberin time. Clobberin time....forevahhhhhh

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

purple death ray posted:

Justice League is doing bad despite apparently being better than the bad dceu movies because people hated the bad dceu movies and most people aren't going to see Part 4 of a series where they hated parts one and two. It's a Goddamn miracle that Wonder Woman survived it but Wonder Woman was extremely good.

They should just put Patty Jenkins in the Russo's role and let her do everything.

I blame a lot of it on BvS poisoning the well of public perception on the current iteration of Batman and Superman. JL is enough like Snyder’s take to turn off people who hated BvS but not enough like Snyder’s take to satisfy people who did like BvS.

JL had only a moderately bad second weekend compared to BvS and MoS, but its first weekend was so awful it’s likely to underperform both. That points to bad word of mouth ahead of the movie, not following the movie.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Got any secret info that validates the Gadot thing?

I believe the victim. I don't much care if you don't.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I blame a lot of it on BvS poisoning the well of public perception on the current iteration of Batman and Superman. JL is enough like Snyder’s take to turn off people who hated BvS but not enough like Snyder’s take to satisfy people who did like BvS.

JL had only a moderately bad second weekend compared to BvS and MoS, but its first weekend was so awful it’s likely to underperform both. That points to bad word of mouth ahead of the movie, not following the movie.

I think it's less that people hate the movie 'version' of Batman and Superman and more that people are enjoying being enthused about every piece of a superhero franchise and it's hard to get invested in the sequel to a movie that a lot of people weren't excited about and is also introducing a lot of b-tier characters people aren't familiar with.

Captain America and Thor weren't huge successes as we've come to expect these days, but people at least had some time to get invested and get familiar, whereas Aquaman and Cyborg, I mean, even if the JL versions are the best possible iterations, there's a lot of apathy stacked against them.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 4, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Has anything of the Gadot stuff been validated yet?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dan Didio posted:

I believe the victim. I don't much care if you don't.

There's zero evidence any "victim" exists at all. It's essentially a paste bin and may not even line up factually with where Gadot was even located at the time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The Gadot thing wouldn't shock me if it were true, If true, I also barely hold it against a 18 or 19 year old Gadot ~15 years ago for handling that type of situation extremely poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

You guys are really running a gamut here, congrats.

• Locked thread