Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Probably better off with an active poster just starting a new thread and getting this unstickied

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Someone really needs to update the OP so people stop posting lists with Intel i7 7700s.

To be fair the i7 7700k is a strong cpu and is only 250ish.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.

TheFluff posted:

Are you planning on overclocking? If so, I'd get about $20 worth of more cooler (Noctua NH-D15 or Cryorig R1 are the go-to options) and a bit beefier motherboard (for example Asus Z370 Strix-E or Asrock Z370 Taichi would do - both have wifi and the kind of good voltage regulation you want for an overclocking board). If not, you can drop down to a non-K CPU and an even smaller cooler and save some money.

$120 is way too much for a 750W PSU. Get a Seasonic Focus Plus - it's the gold standard for reliability, comes with a 10 year warranty and should cost you less than $80.

The monitor is a TN panel, which means pretty awful color reproduction and viewing angles. Normally the reason you go TN is that you want really high refresh rate for cheap, but the one you picked here is only 60Hz and you said you want to edit photos and movies. I really can't recommend a TN panel for that. You can have a good 27" 4k IPS monitor for about $500 these days - I just recently got a LG 27UD68P myself, and it's great.

Excellent advice, thank you. Is there anything on that list I could find a comparable product that's cheaper? I'll look at the parts you listed.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

MobMentality posted:

Excellent advice, thank you. Is there anything on that list I could find a comparable product that's cheaper? I'll look at the parts you listed.
Well, looking closer I think you can get a 1080Ti for about $800 (or less) rather than $900, but it seems many of the cheaper options are out of stock. If you really want to minmax I think Asus' variant is generally regarded as having the best cooler, but it's not a huge deal.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

grimcreaper posted:

To be fair the i7 7700k is a strong cpu and is only 250ish.

Yea but the 8400 is just as good in most situations, and leaves you with room to upgrade. The 8600K is pretty much always better and the same price.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Power supply is overkill. I have a water cooled overclocked 7700k with a water cooled overclocked 1080ti that I use for vr with a ton of usb poo poo attached drawing power with a 650w power supply and using a kill-a-watt meter I peak at around 300w under full load. Peaking in the middle has you right in the efficiency curve of the PSU. A good 650w power supply is really all you need and a 550w would even be absolutely fine.

Thank you!

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Someone really needs to update the OP so people stop posting lists with Intel i7 7700s.

My bad. So should I do a 8700? 8700K? Something else?

eames
May 9, 2009

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I posted this months ago during the Ryzen launch and the answer was pretty much "How many cores does my CPU need? Four. Maybe two.". :discourse:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

eames posted:

I posted this months ago during the Ryzen launch and the answer was pretty much "How many cores does my CPU need? Four. Maybe two.". :discourse:

A lot of fast cores are better than a poo poo ton of slow cores tho.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Same Great Paste posted:

My bad. So should I do a 8700? 8700K? Something else?

If you're not overclocking and aren't doing something like video encoding where tons of threads is beneficial, I'd say the i5-8400 is pretty good value at the moment. i7-8700K has maybe 15-20% better single thread performance but costs close to twice as much. The i7 also has hyperthreading, but whether that is of any use to you depends on what you're doing. For most games it doesn't matter, at the moment, but that might change in the future. A lot of people here are doing full-system rebuilds and blowing over $2000 though, and at that point you might as well spend another $150-200 on an i7-8700K, especially since you cannot actually buy a (cheaper) non-overclocking motherboard at the moment.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 3, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've been looking into CPU's and motherboards lately, what -is- the good price/value point cpu then?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I've been looking into CPU's and motherboards lately, what -is- the good price/value point cpu then?

What are you using your PC for? For something like video encoding on the CPU with x264 where having a ton of cores is really beneficial, I think Ryzen is actually pretty good value at the moment. For gaming, you'll want Intel. Are you willing to overclock? You can get a good bit more performance out of your CPU (usually at least 20%, possibly more) with some fiddling.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 3, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Going to be using it for gaming, just got a 1070 TI and some DDR4 memory but going to need to upgrade the motherboard and CPU to use the memory, so I've been looking into what to pick and why I want to pick it, looking for something in the 250-400$ range of motherboard/cpu/cooler.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Going to be using it for gaming, just got a 1070 TI and some DDR4 memory but going to need to upgrade the motherboard and CPU to use the memory, so I've been looking into what to pick and why I want to pick it, looking for something in the 250-400$ range of motherboard/cpu/cooler.

i5-8400 ($200), Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo (around $30) and whichever cheap Z370 motherboard you like (around $130) will total somewhere around $350. The next logical step up is the i7-8700 (non-overclocking version) at $340. The i5-3600K is $300 and not worth saving $40, if nothing else because you need to spend at least that much more just on cooling to get it up to where the i7-8700 is stock. The i3's are 4-cores and generally not so much cheaper that they're worth looking into this generation.

Edited the above for clarity.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 3, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

TheFluff posted:

i5-8400 ($200), Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo (around $30) and whichever cheap Z370 motherboard you like (around $130) will total somewhere around $350. The next logical step up is the i7-8700 (non-overclocking version) at $340. The i5-3600K is $300 and not worth saving $40, if nothing else because you need to spend at least that much more just on cooling to get it up to where the i7-8700 is stock. The i3's are 4-cores and generally not so much cheaper that they're worth looking into this generation.

Edited the above for clarity.

Looking at the i5-8400, but it appears to be sold out at amazon/newegg/BH and pretty much everywhere and looking through google searches I'm getting the feeling it's sold out the instant any new ones come around.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 4, 2017

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Im helping my brother install his pc, weird that his atx motherboard doesnt line up with all the standoffs. It doesnt use the outer 3, and it uses an matx position

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

underage at the vape shop posted:

Im helping my brother install his pc, weird that his atx motherboard doesnt line up with all the standoffs. It doesnt use the outer 3, and it uses an matx position

Those may be for eATX server motherboards :shrug:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

kloa posted:

Those may be for eATX server motherboards :shrug:

Nah its an atx case, it just straight up doesnt have holes on that outside edge. Asrock pro 4

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

TheFluff posted:

i5-8400 ($200), Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo (around $30) and whichever cheap Z370 motherboard you like (around $130) will total somewhere around $350.
I think this has been mentioned before, but if you buy a retail i5-8400 then you shouldn't need an extra cooler like the 212 Evo since it already comes with a stock HSF. Only the K and OEM/tray processors don't come with stock coolers.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

underage at the vape shop posted:

Yeah, this is normal for boards that don't quite need all the area of full ATX; my work PC has an Intel P55 motherboard that doesn't use the rightmost row. The mATX screw position is a safe bet too since every full ATX case I've ever seen includes a spot for the standoff even if it's not preinstalled.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Grog posted:

I think this has been mentioned before, but if you buy a retail i5-8400 then you shouldn't need an extra cooler like the 212 Evo since it already comes with a stock HSF. Only the K and OEM/tray processors don't come with stock coolers.

_but if you're styling with noctua_ they do make a slightly taller HSF that is pretty much stock but just, way better.

No need for a 212 Evo type monster tho.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm leaning towards the i7 7700k for 240$ish which seems like it will last me for quite a few years at a decent price, no?

I'd get the i5 8400k but it seems to be extremely low supply high demand.

The other choice is the i5 8600k for 300$, but that's quite a price increase over the other choices.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 4, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Consider a 7700K a three year CPU at this point.

An i5-8400 will be a 4-5 year CPU, while an 8700K *might* be able to soldier on for 5-7 years. All of this is subjective, since we might see a ~multi-core explosion~ in the next five years. Who knows, in five years we might have 48c/96t CPUs under $1000, and six-core CPUs will be grandma-grade.

We only have our current barometers to go off of. Parallelism is what CPU makers can do *easiest* at the moment, until the next-gen technologies become economically viable for us schnooks to play vidya gaemz on.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Looking at the i5-8400, but it appears to be sold out at amazon/newegg/BH and pretty much everywhere and looking through google searches I'm getting the feeling it's sold out the instant any new ones come around.

It is indeed sold out, but if you create a free account on NowInStock.net you can add an alert that will email you and/or text you when they become available. 8400 is probably the 3rd most popular chip in the Coffee Lake generation (After 8700k/8600k) and I had no problem picking up 8600k's when I tried so you should get an opportunity to grab an 8400 in a few days.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So I made a new pc based on all the info found in this thread and basically: thanks, thread. I've used this thread as a base for multiple pcs and it never let me down. This time was no different.

Currently running 8700k with a noctua u14s, still windows 7 for the moment but upgrading soon.

Did run into a few things;

- temps seem higher on all cores compared to earlier gens. Odd heat spikes. People report this in many places. Apparantly delidding does a lot, suggests bad TIM. Which is weird for something of this price. Not planning on doing that yet.
- needed ps2 emulation to get in windows an install usb 3 drivers. Forgot w7 doesn't have those natively. :downs:
- Extreme4 z370 mobo had components that couldn't get installed through the cd or support page from Asrock. The device manager stopped crying after installing inf files from Intel's 200 chipset support page? :shepface: Maybe it's because a lot of parts are lifted wholesale from z270.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I don’t think Windows 7 is supported officially for Kaby Lake or newer chipsets

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Hence upgrading to 10 soon! I really like 7 so I held on to it for as long as it was possible but yeah, it's time to move up.

Riggy
Jul 14, 2017

So I built a PC a little over a year and a half ago with a bit of lurking in this thread and some guidance from my Dad (he's been building PCs since the 80's so I figured why not listen to him). This was my first PC build.

Here is what I've got.

Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 3 Mid Tower Case - Black
Mobo: ASUS X99-A II LGA 2011-v3
CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GAMING iCX
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM 2400
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 240mm
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 80+ GOLD 750W
SSD: Samsung 950 PRO M.2 2280 512GB
HD: 1 WD Blue 4TB Desktop HDD

Display: Acer Predator X34 34" UW-QHD Monitor (3440 x 1440)(Certified Refurbished)

So...kinda expensive yeah. From reading it looks like I screwed up on ram, the platform looks like it prefers quad channel as opposed to 2 sticks. I also only had a 1070 in this build but later got the 1080 to help run the 3440 x 1440 display for maxed out DOOM and the like.

I mainly use my PC for games and the Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects). I was wondering what kind of upgrade path the thread would recommend for my system? I think I still have a good 2-3 years with this build with no changes. Just upgrading the CPU sounds kind of expensive and pointless.

Edit: Forgot the SSD and HD.

Riggy fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 4, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Riggy posted:

I was wondering what kind of upgrade path the thread would recommend for my system? I think I still have a good 2-3 years with this build with no changes. Just upgrading the CPU sounds kind of expensive and pointless.

HEDT platforms always have a pretty healthy upgrade prospect in the form of Xeon server pulls years from now. X99 has no upgrade path at present other than waiting for the people with their Broadwell-Es trade up into Cannonlake-Xs (which will be the 'tock' of X299 before they EOL it). Getting your hands on a used 6900K eventually for the right price would give you 8/16 plus the additional PCIe lanes.

Other than that, you really don't have an upgrade path other than considering an Ampere card ~6-9 months from now and/or rounding out your RAM to 64GB.

Riggy
Jul 14, 2017

BIG HEADLINE posted:

HEDT platforms always have a pretty healthy upgrade prospect in the form of Xeon server pulls years from now. X99 has no upgrade path at present other than waiting for the people with their Broadwell-Es trade up into Cannonlake-Xs (which will be the 'tock' of X299 before they EOL it). Getting your hands on a used 6900K eventually for the right price would give you 8/16 plus the additional PCIe lanes.

Other than that, you really don't have an upgrade path other than considering an Ampere card ~6-9 months from now and/or rounding out your RAM to 64GB.

I was told to get 6 cores due to the idea that future programs and games will demand more for core count and this is a way to ensure that my system will be relevant when those products hit shelves.

GPU upgrades are always an option to get easy frames but as far as the platform is concerned it looks like I'm at a dead end. The CPU and GPU only have a 2% bottleneck according to bottleneck.com so they are paired nicely.

Would I see any significant gains from a platform swap? (I.E. X99 to X299 or Ryzen?) Most of my early glossing on the specs show that the gains would only be sort of marginal and again subjective to what the user is doing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Riggy posted:

I was told to get 6 cores due to the idea that future programs and games will demand more for core count and this is a way to ensure that my system will be relevant when those products hit shelves.

GPU upgrades are always an option to get easy frames but as far as the platform is concerned it looks like I'm at a dead end. The CPU and GPU only have a 2% bottleneck according to bottleneck.com so they are paired nicely.

Would I see any significant gains from a platform swap? (I.E. X99 to X299 or Ryzen?) Most of my early glossing on the specs show that the gains would only be sort of marginal and again subjective to what the user is doing.

X299 is getting Cannonlake-X (probably in mid-to-late 2018), which evidently will *start* at 12/24 (for who knows how much), and there are also supposedly Cannonlake-X i7s which will come in 6/12 and 8/16 flavors (but probably still locked at 24 or 28 PCIe lanes and dual-channel DDR4 support). After Cannonlake-X, though - X299 and LGA2066 are dead, to be followed (probably) by the X499 on LGA2076, because AMD already made an X399 chipset, leaving Intel with a naming/numbering conundrum. The fact that Cannon-X/X299 is getting an 8/16 i7 option means it'll probably pre-date the 'consumer' 8-cores (presumably the i7-9600/9700 & K models) by ~6-9 months, because Intel likes to do that sort of thing to sell to the ~gotta-have-its~ first, as well as enabling them to profit *twice* from the people who buy a Cannon-X i7 being tempted down the road to snag a Cannon-X i9 as an upgrade path to breathe new (and expensive) life into their already extremely expensive motherboard.

On the plus side, hopefully by the time Cannon-X i7s and i9s are released (if Intel's smart, they'll try and time it with/near the release of Ampere), the boardmakers will have ironed out the initial clusterfuckery of the X299 launch and first-gen board issues and shortcomings.

As for Ryzen, I'd wait until more details come out about the second generation chips (AMD's claiming Zen 2 will be manufactured at 7nm, and I'm calling horseshit on that). The one feather AMD has it its cap over Intel at the moment is that they've committed many times to saying Socket AM4 has a lifespan that'll continue until 2020. Meanwhile, according to that leaked roadmap Intel will neither confirm nor deny, Z370 owners will only get the 8750K, a first-gen 10nm 6/12 Cannonlake as an upgrade option, while the 8/16 isn't coming until Icelake, presumably on a Z390 or Z470 using LGA1161.

To answer your question more succinctly, though...no, you won't see noticeable or significant gains from 'trading up' at this time. Wait for more details on Cannonlake-X and/or Ryzen's second gen offerings before you open your wallet.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Dec 4, 2017

Riggy
Jul 14, 2017

BIG HEADLINE posted:

X299 is getting Cannonlake-X (probably in mid-to-late 2018), which evidently will *start* at 12/24 (for who knows how much), and there are also supposedly Cannonlake-X i7s which will come in 6/12 and 8/16 flavors (but probably still locked at 24 or 28 PCIe lanes and dual-channel DDR4 support). After Cannonlake-X, though - X299 and LGA2066 is dead, to be followed (probably) by the X499 on LGA2076, because AMD already made an X399 chipset, leaving Intel with a naming/numbering conundrum. The fact that Cannon-X/X299 is getting an 8/16 i7 option means it'll probably pre-date the 'consumer' 8-cores (presumably the i7-9600/9700 & K models) by ~6-9 months, because Intel likes to do that sort of thing to sell to the ~gotta-have-its~ first, as well as enabling them to profit *twice* from the people who buy a Cannon-X i7 being tempted down the road to snag a Cannon-X i9 as an upgrade path to breathe new (and expensive) life into their already extremely expensive motherboard.

On the plus side, hopefully by the time Cannon-X i7s and i9s are released (if Intel's smart, they'll try and time it with/near the release of Ampere), the boardmakers will have ironed out the initial clusterfuckery of the X299 launch and first-gen board issues and shortcomings.

As for Ryzen, I'd wait until more details come out about the second generation chips (AMD's claiming Zen 2 will be manufactured at 7nm, and I'm calling horseshit on that). The one feather AMD has it its cap over Intel at the moment is that they've committed many times to saying Socket AM4 has a lifespan that'll continue until 2020. Meanwhile, according to that leaked roadmap Intel will neither confirm nor deny, Z370 owners will only get the 8750K, a first-gen 10nm 6/12 Cannonlake as an upgrade option, while the 8/16 isn't coming until Icelake, presumably on a Z390 or Z470 using LGA1161.

To answer your question more succinctly, though...no, you won't see noticeable or significant gains from 'trading up' at this time. Wait for more details on Cannonlake-X and/or Ryzen's second gen offerings before you open your wallet.

Yeah, Intel has really made things sort of difficult to sort out what to do with all of the wacky crap they are trying to pull and I'm real hesitant on pulling the trigger with X299 with the fear that it will immediately be replaced with an X499 so Intel and the third party MOBO makers can force more money out of the consumer. It's this kind of behavior that makes me want to jump ship to AMD.

Guess I'll just wait for now. Thank you for the advice!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Riggy posted:

Yeah, Intel has really made things sort of difficult to sort out what to do with all of the wacky crap they are trying to pull and I'm real hesitant on pulling the trigger with X299 with the fear that it will immediately be replaced with an X499 so Intel and the third party MOBO makers can force more money out of the consumer. It's this kind of behavior that makes me want to jump ship to AMD.

Guess I'll just wait for now. Thank you for the advice!

Going with an Intel HEDT setup is pricey, but what you're buying is a hedge bet on the ~futcha~, and if you buy on the ground floor, you're guaranteed an upgrade path...if only for one generation, and occasionally with some 'hiccups' - the first gen X99 boards needed a BIOS update to run the Broadwell-Es, which made a lot of people angry when they tried to plug their Broad-Es into first-gen X99s that had been sitting around for years and were never refreshed with updated stock.

People with 5820Ks are still able to thumb their noses at new 8600/8700 owners and claim that ~they~ owned a hexacore *before* it was cool. They also have the ability when it starts to flag to get their hands on someone's used Broadwell-Es (Intel sold 6950Ks cheaply during one of their Retail Edge events) or wait to see what the Xeon Fairy SKUs up on server farm surplus websites and eBay. There are people with X58s who are - today - able to run 6/12 CPUs on them (granted, not particularly *swift* ones) because of Xeon server pulls - the X58 came out in November 2008.

But Intel's not replacing X299 anytime soon. "X499" won't be a thing until Icelake-X, which will probably be a 2020 chip. Icelake's scheduled for 2019, and the HEDT version always follows the consumer release, hence the fact that the current HEDT chip is Skylake-X.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I run Xeon 5660 in my ancient x58 motherboard, and it was ok at 3,53 GHz, would probably go higher but I didn't want to risk it. If the motherboard wouldn't start to poo poo itself and throw "driver power state failures" I'd wait for a bit longer with a new stuff. I'll assemble it with stock speeds and one hard drive plugged in and keep it as a backup desktop, that hardware had some serious longevity.

Riggy
Jul 14, 2017

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Going with an Intel HEDT setup is pricey, but what you're buying is a hedge bet on the ~futcha~, and if you buy on the ground floor, you're guaranteed an upgrade path...if only for one generation, and occasionally with some 'hiccups' - the first gen X99 boards needed a BIOS update to run the Broadwell-Es, which made a lot of people angry when they tried to plug their Broad-Es into first-gen X99s that had been sitting around for years and were never refreshed with updated stock.

People with 5820Ks are still able to thumb their noses at new 8600/8700 owners and claim that ~they~ owned a hexacore *before* it was cool. They also have the ability when it starts to flag to get their hands on someone's used Broadwell-Es (Intel sold 6950Ks cheaply during one of their Retail Edge events) or wait to see what the Xeon Fairy SKUs up on server farm surplus websites and eBay. There are people with X58s who are - today - able to run 6/12 CPUs on them (granted, not particularly *swift* ones) because of Xeon server pulls - the X58 came out in November 2008.

But Intel's not replacing X299 anytime soon. "X499" won't be a thing until Icelake-X, which will probably be a 2020 chip. Icelake's scheduled for 2019, and the HEDT version always follows the consumer release, hence the fact that the current HEDT chip is Skylake-X.

Yeah I didn't know about what the purpose of HEDT was when building beyond having 6 cores, but I lucked out and am in a decent spot performance wise. My 6800k is running at stock clocks so its kind of slow (and hot) compared to the 4.0ghz + you'll find in Z270/370 chipsets but that only seems to matter with certain programs (emulators) so I'm not really worried about OCing stuff. So X299 is still only on their first set of CPU's with Skylake X and will be getting a Coffeelake/whatever lake chip later on down the line? Like I said I'm new to the whole computer market thing so your insight is really helpful.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Riggy posted:

So X299 is still only on their first set of CPU's with Skylake X and will be getting a Coffeelake/whatever lake chip later on down the line? Like I said I'm new to the whole computer market thing so your insight is really helpful.

Yeah, X299 is scheduled (tentatively - Intel won't confirm or deny leaked roadmap info because it makes people *expect* dates if they do) to receive Cannonlake-X chips in both i7 and i9 trim. The i7s will be a 6/12 and an 8/16 option. The i9s start at 12/24 and max out at 20/40 and 22/44 for the X and XE SKU.

Here's the image I'm talking about again, for a new page (for reference: LGA1151v2 is what Z370 is using right now, and LGA2066 is what X299 is using):

As you can see, Icelake is scheduled to use LGA1161 and Ice/Tigerlake-X will use LGA2076, which will EOL Z370 and X299, respectively.

And Tigerlake...that's the chip coming *after* Icelake, so we're talking 2020+ there.

-----

EDIT: And Intel evidently decided to react to the above by releasing this - https://www.techpowerup.com/239390/latest-intel-roadmap-slide-leaked-next-core-x-is-cascade-lake-x

"Cascade Lake-X" in Q4'18. Chipset as yet unknown.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 4, 2017

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Is there an easy way to transfer my Windows install to a new build? I’m wondering if I’m better served moving poo poo off my OS SSD and then just doing a clean install. I have a retail copy of Win 7 so I believe it’s kosher and I can transfer it to a new build.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

ukrainius maximus posted:

Is there an easy way to transfer my Windows install to a new build? I’m wondering if I’m better served moving poo poo off my OS SSD and then just doing a clean install. I have a retail copy of Win 7 so I believe it’s kosher and I can transfer it to a new build.

Windows puritans will tell you to always reinstall, I think, but I can't say I've ever really noticed a difference between a freshly installed Windows and an old one. The way I've always done it is to just plug in the old OS drive to the new build computer, install drivers, uninstall old drivers and welp everything just worked. I think last time I did that was pre-Win7 though. With Windows 10 I know you might have to contact Microsoft support to get them to re-activate your key if you switch motherboards, but I can't remember if that applies to Win7.

Do note that as mentioned just a few posts ago, Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake officially require Win10. You can still upgrade Win7 to Win10 for free until the end of this year by grabbing the installer via the assistive technologies page - it'll never ask you if you actually use any such technologies or try to activate them for you and you'll just end up with a regular Win10 install. I did so myself about a month ago and I have no complaints.

Riggy
Jul 14, 2017

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, X299 is scheduled (tentatively - Intel won't confirm or deny leaked roadmap info because it makes people *expect* dates if they do) to receive Cannonlake-X chips in both i7 and i9 trim. The i7s will be a 6/12 and an 8/16 option. The i9s start at 12/24 and max out at 20/40 and 22/44 for the X and XE SKU.

Here's the image I'm talking about again, for a new page (for reference: LGA1151v2 is what Z370 is using right now, and LGA2066 is what X299 is using):

As you can see, Icelake is scheduled to use LGA1161 and Ice/Tigerlake-X will use LGA2076, which will EOL Z370 and X299, respectively.

And Tigerlake...that's the chip coming *after* Icelake, so we're talking 2020+ there.

-----

EDIT: And Intel evidently decided to react to the above by releasing this - https://www.techpowerup.com/239390/latest-intel-roadmap-slide-leaked-next-core-x-is-cascade-lake-x

"Cascade Lake-X" in Q4'18. Chipset as yet unknown.

Good lord this poo poo is getting out of hand. What is Intel trying to prove by gearing their lineup like this?

bblaze
Oct 18, 2004

Ask me about how chocolate chips act as barriers to dislocation for plastic deformation.
I am currently running windows 10 via a free upgrade from windows 8 multiple years back.
I still have the windows 8 CD and made a bootable USB in the past.

When I build my new coffee lake PC, will I be able to use an updated windows 10 boot image and my existing windows 8 activation key?
Or do I need to buy windows again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

That image is super fake, I think that’s pretty obvious. typos, missing SKUs, DDR4 increments make no sense, Cannonlake isn‘t coming to desktop let alone servers, sockets are the same as the old ones plus ten arbitrary pins, etc.