Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

lets give a quick shout out to velkoz in this thread, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Everyone of note is building lethality draven now.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

aery draven is surprisingly good. so is klepto draven with first item coin

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Enigma89 posted:

I am a hard core DotA player that started playing League because I hit my MMR goal in DotA and want to play something a bit more casual. Currently level 18 and playing with a few friends. I was curious about the build path for Draven.

It seems like ghost blade is the first item you should build but most of my friends recommend getting BF sword and then building a full item (like BT or Death dance), then a zeal item and then finishing the BF sword item. They are all pretty low level bronze players so I am a bit cautious on their advice.

First, take back what you said about league being casual

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

Everyone of note is building lethality draven now.

Are high MMR players other than qtpie going full Lethality? I don't think it's awful, but in a world of mega tanks it seems like it'd feel kinda bad.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

pog boyfriend posted:

lets give a quick shout out to velkoz in this thread, everyone.

Velkoz good. Support Velkoz players however can gently caress off.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Aery lethality draven baby

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Vermain posted:

Are high MMR players other than qtpie going full Lethality? I don't think it's awful, but in a world of mega tanks it seems like it'd feel kinda bad.

Even when guys go crit they're typically going like ghostblade into iedge, I havent seen the BF lifesteal item into BF item build in a while, even before preseason.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Tanks are really strong but the reality of solo queue right now is theres a dickload of poke crap & minimal bruisers & extremely fragile mids so realistically I think it's fine to concede the maokai & hit xareth for 70% of his bar.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Aery lethality draven baby

it sounds super dumb but with the way he chases you actually get a bunch of procs from it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tanks are really strong but the reality of solo queue right now is theres a dickload of poke crap & minimal bruisers & extremely fragile mids so realistically I think it's fine to concede the maokai & hit xareth for 70% of his bar.

I get around this choice by playing MF and just ulting into the tightly packed enemy team and killing the carries and chunking the tanks in one easy step.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

njsykora posted:

Velkoz good. Support Velkoz players however can gently caress off.

hey now, I'd be offended if I wasn't definitely not playing Vel'Koz support, and instead play a mild mannered everyday working Joe with eyeglass and coffee.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

definitely not support

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
here;s the thing - when you say all of rumble's ability names in a cockney accent his winrate goes up to 72%

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

rabidsquid posted:

so is klepto draven with first item coin

quoting this hoping it's not a joke

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

njsykora posted:

Draven seems like one of the ADCs who should be benefitting from the same lethality stuff as other one-shot nuke champs like Jhin and MF so yeah go Youmuu's>Duskblade and see how it feels. The Death's Dance thing was a big deal on Draven a while back but I don't know if it's worth building before 3rd-4th item right now.

I am still very new to the game but the only thing that I have noticed with death dance is that it's nice not being instantly blown up and having the damage tick over a bit of time. However, it is annoying to build death dance if you have bought a naked BF sword early. It just seems like the BF sword sits there for the longest time.

rabidsquid posted:

aery draven is surprisingly good. so is klepto draven with first item coin

Is this the item that gives more gold or something? I saw a big post/video on this on /r/draven on how this really works. You basically just use your stacks and klepto to outfarm everyone. The push back to it on /r/draven was that Draven should try to end the game early, so by doing that you are trying to just make sure you always stay on top of farm and win the game with your gold advantage.

Not sure who is right but just asking for clarification because I have never built klepto and not sure if this is what it is.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I lost three very winnable games last night because my bot lane inexplicably decided to run into the enemy jungle with no vision over and over again, ama

For real, though, I wish I was good at ADC, because it seems like the fate of bot lane is deciding every game in this patch.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Enigma89 posted:

Is this the item that gives more gold or something? I saw a big post/video on this on /r/draven on how this really works. You basically just use your stacks and klepto to outfarm everyone. The push back to it on /r/draven was that Draven should try to end the game early, so by doing that you are trying to just make sure you always stay on top of farm and win the game with your gold advantage.

Not sure who is right but just asking for clarification because I have never built klepto and not sure if this is what it is.

Klepto isn't an item, it's a Keystone rune in the Inspiration tree that gives either a random consumable item (potions, elixers, sometimes just bags of gold) or additional gold when you attack an enemy champion after using an ability. It's gotten some traction on ADCs because most of the time you're doing the ability>auto attack double tap to poke anyway so you're going to proc it fairly reliably and more gold is more good.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Klepto doesn't just give you gold but also potentially consumables that can provide incremental advantages to help you win lane. When it's readied it also extends your autoattack range by 25, which is great on Draven who can slap a squishy once for a big chunk of their health.

The RNG involved in the items you get can end up not paying off in terms of lane presence but the extended range is handy, if not quite as strong on its own as keystones like Press the Attack. I can see it "working" but I don't think it's as consistent as other keystones and in the process of investing in Inspiration as a primary tree you're passing up minor rune slots he likes in Precision, Sorcery, and Domination.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
To provide Klepto you need to use an ability and Draven doesn’t do that nearly enough, Aery is his best keystone

Klepto is only for on-hit pokers like GP or Ezreal, Draven doesn’t have spammable poke

Teikanmi fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 4, 2017

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Sexpansion posted:

I lost three very winnable games last night because my bot lane inexplicably decided to run into the enemy jungle with no vision over and over again, ama

For real, though, I wish I was good at ADC, because it seems like the fate of bot lane is deciding every game in this patch.

Or, hear me out

you could play yorick, as I am going to because botlane is a cointoss rn

(seriously though, Yorick is busted and will probably only get moreso next patch)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Teikanmi posted:

To provide Klepto you need to use an ability and Draven doesn’t do that nearly enough, Aery is his best keystone

Klepto is only for on-hit pokers like GP or Ezreal, Draven doesn’t have spammable poke

Draven W has a lower cooldown than anything GP or Ezreal can do, you need manaflow band or you'll run out of mana fast but activating Klepto is extremely simple with him

edit: press W gain attack speed and range is actually really strong on Draven ignoring everything else

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 4, 2017

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Sexpansion posted:

Play J4, build lethality, one shot the AD

Problem solved

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

a medical mystery posted:

Klepto doesn't just give you gold but also potentially consumables that can provide incremental advantages to help you win lane. When it's readied it also extends your autoattack range by 25, which is great on Draven who can slap a squishy once for a big chunk of their health.

The RNG involved in the items you get can end up not paying off in terms of lane presence but the extended range is handy, if not quite as strong on its own as keystones like Press the Attack. I can see it "working" but I don't think it's as consistent as other keystones and in the process of investing in Inspiration as a primary tree you're passing up minor rune slots he likes in Precision, Sorcery, and Domination.

I know it was said already, but you can W every time you catch an axe, and between manaflow and the mana regen pots from klepto he'll be swimming in mana. It also provides adaptive ad/ap from a potion, and Draven will be proccing regularly enough to have that up most of the time too. The auto range really helps him, and other stuff. It's one of those keystones thats great in solo-queue because solo-queuers are bad against aggression (which it rewards).

It's bad because it doesn't provide the damage of other keystones, so a properly counter-aggressive bot lane will eat him for breakfast if they stop and realize how much damage he's lost from his rune setup.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Firebert posted:

Play J4, build lethality, one shot the AD

Problem solved

I am a highly mediocre AD who used to play jungle and let me tell you, J4, Nocturne, Kha, and anyone else that stacks lethality and can get on top of me easily? Those fuckers are nightmares right now. Doesn't matter how good your CS or positioning is if J4 flashes or E-Qs your frontline and ults you, or Nocturne ults onto you, or Khazix stealths in from the back. One-shotted every time.

poo poo's rough.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm someone who would regularly go tank junglers and build a locket for those 1000 hp team shields, 2000 with gargoyle, I'm finding in preseason the squishies are dying before I can react to press that button, the other half of the time I press it and they just burst through it anyway.

fnox
May 19, 2013

The thing is that ADCs are so powerful right now that if you're not camping bot with a strong ganker you're going to lose unless you have the better ADC. So you're gonna see more J4s, Nocturnes and the like.

NaotoSaysNo
Jul 1, 2012
itt: Nasus talk

Nasus is a good situational counterpick against tanks, so he's good when tanks are good.

Grasp and Phase Rush aren't very good on him. Grasp requires stacking by autoattacking your opposing laner and that's not really something you want to do as Nasus in the early game. Phase Rush is awkward because you have to be on top of them to be able to proc the rune and at that point it's not necessary at all, not to mention the Sorcery tree isn't very good on him. I think that the best keystone/tree for him is Inspiration. Glacial Augment scales well without any real investment and the tree itself is really good for sustain due to Biscuits, Future's Market and Celestial Body. As for the secondary tree, Precision/Resolve is probably the way to go because of the tenacity runes.

Also, Dark Harvest isn't really viable on laners, considering you only get it online at 150 stacks and the only way to acquire souls there outside of kills are cannon minions. I don't know how long it would take to get to 150 stacks but the answer is probably "too loving long" since junglers with really good clears like Kayn only get it by like 20 minutes.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Monathin posted:

Or, hear me out

you could play yorick, as I am going to because botlane is a cointoss rn

(seriously though, Yorick is busted and will probably only get moreso next patch)

HOw so and what do you take on him??

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheAnomaly posted:

I know it was said already, but you can W every time you catch an axe, and between manaflow and the mana regen pots from klepto he'll be swimming in mana. It also provides adaptive ad/ap from a potion, and Draven will be proccing regularly enough to have that up most of the time too. The auto range really helps him, and other stuff. It's one of those keystones thats great in solo-queue because solo-queuers are bad against aggression (which it rewards).

It's bad because it doesn't provide the damage of other keystones, so a properly counter-aggressive bot lane will eat him for breakfast if they stop and realize how much damage he's lost from his rune setup.

you can actually play really passively in lane if you have to since between klepto and coin you should be finishing a major damage item before your opponent is even close to a completed item, especially if you can proc your passive. people assume because it's not a ~combat keystone~ that it's not as strong but the idea is you have completed items so much faster that you hit your power spike early. draven q is still pretty strong on its own.

if y'all are interested in more bot lane weird poo poo arcane comet ashe is actually her highest winrate key stone, you just rain w spam down and win from all of your free damage.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Dark harvest is really really fun in aram. Weirdly, I rarely see other people taking it.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

fnox posted:

The thing is that ADCs are so powerful right now that if you're not camping bot with a strong ganker you're going to lose unless you have the better ADC. So you're gonna see more J4s, Nocturnes and the like.
My bot lane in my last two games is a combined 8/37.

Shockingly, I lost both.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

gowb posted:

HOw so and what do you take on him??

Resolve + Sorcery. Grasp/Demolish (Unflinching also works)/Whichever Resist You Need For Lane/Second Wind on Resolve, Celerity(Or Transcendance I GUESS, if you're boring) + Ultimate Hat from Sorcery.

Grasp empowered Q means you are incredibly hard to out-trade, and Q's heal means you'll basically have the boost from Iron Skin/Mirror Shell up 95% of the time. W is basically either a get-out-of-gank free card or forces someone's flash, and E does a lot more damage than anyone expects. If you are going anywhere close to even in lane you will probably force a lovely back and claim first tower before botlane manages to figure out that objectives are a thing that exist.

Once you have Maiden, any W you land on the toplaner is basically kill threat. Trap them in W, throw E, summon Maiden, walk in for your Q/summon more ghouls alongside Maiden. If they don't flash/dash away they're effectively screwed and then Maiden helps you take tower faster. Maiden's cooldown is obscene so being able to knock 15% off that is actually pretty goddamn bonkers.

Start corrupting potion, build Triforce/Zzrot/Steraks, usually in that order but sometimes you're snowballing hard and want Steraks before Zzrot. Fill out the rest of your build with the appropriate resist boosts and tank items to taste. Spirit Visage is hilarious if their team is AP-heavy. Dead Man's Plate helps you go fast and thus secure kills with Q. You can also go Titanic Hydra if you aren't murdering enough but I don't find that to be a huge problem with Yorick

Once you've taken top tower basically just roam all over the map. Leave not a single lane unpushed. Put ghouls in one lane, Maiden in another, Zzrot in the third, or save Maiden for a teamfight where most dweebs will ignore her in favor of trying to kill you/your team and she'll do hilarious amounts of damage and then, again, guarantee an objective.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 5, 2017

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Also Yorick is going to get more busted because

Revitalize is going to work on his self-heal Q next patch which is going to give him +15% healing on Q below 40% HP, which already does double healing if you hit it when you're below half, so I fully expect once that hits it'll be taken in favor of Second Wind and just turn Yorick into a sustain monster who can't be shoved out of lane by anything less than a 3-man top dive.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 5, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Monathin posted:

Also Yorick is going to get more busted because

Revitalize is going to work on his self-heal Q next patch which is going to give him +15% healing on Q below 40% HP, which already does double healing if you hit it when you're below half, so I fully expect once that hits it'll be taken in favor of Second Wind and just turn Yorick into a sustain monster who can't be shoved out of lane by anything less than a 3-man top dive.

And mid-game Yorick can already 1v4, so you might not even shift him with a 3-man dive.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Why not just play tom kench tho and be more useful and tankier than yorick?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah why not just play a totally unrelated champ with a totally different role in the game

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

The Current Best split pusher in the game, is Yorick. He's great 1v1, crushes towers, and has crazy sustain. I don't even know what beats him except like a god mode fiora or fwiggin trundle, which nobody plays.

A small voice from the darkness: Why not play taric tho

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

gowb posted:

Why not just play tom kench tho and be more useful and tankier than yorick?

The Current Best split pusher in the game, is Yorick. He's great 1v1, crushes towers, and has crazy sustain. I don't even know what beats him except like a god mode fiora or fwiggin trundle, which nobody plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

To actually answer your question, gowby, it's because in a solo queue environment in which people will randomly forget about objectives all the way up to like high gold/low plat, Yorick is basically the man who can force down any objective sans like, Elder/Baron. Need to do dragon? Team wandering around in the other lanes? Summon Maiden, 2v1 Dragon. Your presence in any lane once you get either a Phage and/or a Sheen will basically force either a kill or a death, and if you have Maiden up it makes an easy objective take.

Play Yorick to crush towers and the hopes of your opponents.