Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

coolusername posted:

I thought the ding was the sound of the doors opening as they move through the maze, similar to an elevator when it arrives on the right floor.

The ding was thoroughly explained in the previous comic, Alice-un is absolutely wrecking poo poo in this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

SunAndSpring posted:

Cat Master laying his life on the line to save that cat kinda throws a wrench in Cio's statement that devils don't care for anything but themselves, don't ya think?

I think you misread that statement. She says they are creatures of whim and dont care about anything except what they desire, doesnt she? Which is not necessarily themselves. They are unbound by perceived rules and standards put upon them by other, but their own desires and aims can still be varied and catmaster clearly desires to keep his cat safe. He just wouldnt have any qualms about killing innocent orphans to do so because he is a devil.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 4, 2017

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Cowcaster posted:

this made me take a quick peek at dresden codak for the first time in probably 5 years and the current page is literally the main character half naked changing her clothes while gratuitously showing off her various cyborg parts. it's like i never left
Same. The page prior to that one on the other hand is why all of us have read the thing in the first place. The two together pretty much encapsulate the entire Dresden Codak experience.

EDIT: Just to be clear, the previous "story" page.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 4, 2017

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

pokemon posted:

even diaz is getting in on it, his latest update was basically k6bd and hellboy mashed brutally together with his characters' names written on the resulting mince in sharpie. most of his pages are like that, basically it's just the last two or three things he read and liked regurgitated as a semi-digested syrup for his audience, as a mother bird does for her child

Well I went and read it and my god did it make me appreciate both Mignola and K6BD all the more. K6BD has its own real style, and the impressionistic coloring (it's a little loose but extremely evocative) makes the whole thing feel organic, aggressive, multitudinous.

Of Mignola I suspect little needs to be said, he's a master.

Then there's this, by Diaz. First, he's aping Mignola's style halfway competently but he doesn't understand what it's good for at all and it ends up looking more like Darkest Dungeon than Hellboy. He's trying to play on the Dying Earth, Hellboy, and Dark Souls all at once, but he doesn't capture any of them while at the same time not putting the print of new ideas on an of them due to the multiple mash-up. The whole point of it is supposed to be 'my work is derivative but nobody is perfectly original!' But it comes across flat because he has nothing original to say within the replicated styles. Hellboy is mostly composed of reconstructed pulp and mythology and is also startlingly original in character and overall sweep; K6BD is its own hallucinogenic new thing, the Dying Earth genre itself played host to the masterpiece Book of the New Sun (which was also a knowing reiteration of the genre).

Dark Souls is inventive too I guess. It certainly has better character designs than that D&D-standard tiefling.

Diaz is arguing for a decent point but his argumentative structure, the comic itself, does not defend his position.

I don't know why this has me so heated up, but it really does. I'm going to go calm down by reading Hellboy in Hell.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 4, 2017

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I went and looked myself and WOW that's astonishingly worthless, just WOW.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I remember when Dresden Codak was a funny comic about all kinds of weird nerd poo poo. What happened to the guy that made Dungeons and Discourse? :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GunnerJ posted:

I remember when Dresden Codak was a funny comic about all kinds of weird nerd poo poo. What happened to the guy that made Dungeons and Discourse? :smith:

Got high on his own farts and realized he could bilk nerds for cash and do effectively nothing.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Maybe that rapidfire dinging is from Mottom juggernauting through the outer layers of Yre and Cio's expression is her realizing the ticker is going a lot faster than the current rate of murder and what's doing that

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I think Cio's alarm is from what she's looking at in that panel. Namely the fireflies. Which is reminding her oh gently caress all those explosives.

coolusername posted:

I thought the ding was the sound of the doors opening as they move through the maze, similar to an elevator when it arrives on the right floor.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The ding was thoroughly explained in the previous comic, Alice-un is absolutely wrecking poo poo in this one
Also in the panels around the maze, you can see the sound effect is attached to the dead accountants.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 4, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

I'm wondering if Mammon is thinking this whole ordeal is costing him too much and is changing to a drastically cheaper strategy.
Unshackle the room from the infinite and let it go where things unmoored drift to.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Archenteron posted:

Maybe that rapidfire dinging is from Mottom juggernauting through the outer layers of Yre and Cio's expression is her realizing the ticker is going a lot faster than the current rate of murder and what's doing that

I don't think that's happening right now, but it needs to happen in a few strips, just before a giant baby does his Kool-Aid man impression again.

ding
ding
ding
ding
OH YEAHHHHHH
ding

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

what's mobbing them rn is just the top couple of hundred countpriests, though, i doubt that they would be dinging if people with higher numbers were getting offed

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

while 00000221 might have the assured devotion to run into the assorted fangs, claws, swords, guns or little paper men of a band of demon burglars, 034673535 is another matter entirely and might just try to get out of there alive

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
nah one of the preist's chainsaw lances was still running when he died and fell against a pipe.

its nothing to worry about.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Ah, you're right! Consider me enlightened. Any time I remember Diaz exists, I remember that time he pathetically attacked Mary Cagle (author of a bunch of cute webcomics).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

coolusername posted:

Ah, you're right! Consider me enlightened. Any time I remember Diaz exists, I remember that time he pathetically attacked Mary Cagle (author of a bunch of cute webcomics).
What, on the basis of "completes deadlines on time or something"? It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a procrastinator blame everyone but themself for their problems.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Here's a thing about it. Basically Cagle did a comic to lampoon the whole thing about dudes who pat themselves on the back for being super feminist, and pretend their fetishy cheesecake art is sex positive or whatever.

Diaz decided this was a specific attack on him - because of course that's literally his entire deal and he's massively self-centered - and went after Cagle. Thereby proving that she was entirely correct about him being a creep the entire time, without even having singled him out initially.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

To be fair, the "all shaved, no worries there" thing was very specifically directed at him

and it was hilarious

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

That reminds me: I once ran across a pretty interesting blog post by Diaz about how to draw characters' bodies realistically. Basically, no matter what they typically wear, you need to be able to draw them without clothes. The thing is that in theory you could do this without, say, drawing their junk too, but I scrolled down and suddenly learned a whole lot of deep Dresden Codak lore about which of his female characters shave their pubes and which don't!

Naturally he didn't draw any male characters like this. :thunk:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Oh yeah I forgot about that.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

GunnerJ posted:

That reminds me: I once ran across a pretty interesting blog post by Diaz about how to draw characters' bodies realistically. Basically, no matter what they typically wear, you need to be able to draw them without clothes. The thing is that in theory you could do this without, say, drawing their junk too, but I scrolled down and suddenly learned a whole lot of deep Dresden Codak lore about which of his female characters shave their pubes and which don't!

:stare:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The things you learn when you hang out in the other other webcomic thread

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Diaz also tried to say that a Jewish author (I forget exactly who) had never experienced bigotry because of white privilege.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Mary Cagle is a treasure.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Her new magical girl comic is fun, although I wish the partner artist didn't ditch out after chapter 1.

Also, it occurs to me that Princess Jack Moonshine could end up as just Princess in a few tiera. Would that make them psuedo-royalty

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

Diaz also tried to say that a Jewish author (I forget exactly who) had never experienced bigotry because of white privilege.
it wasn't just any jew lol, it was will eisner. according to diaz he was a "mediocre white man" (quote) who only achieved success because of his white privilege, unlike diaz, who was born in the wagon of a travelling shoooooow and had to fight his way up from the bottom by selling cans (he's like 1/8 cuban and only found out about that 1/8 like five years ago)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GunnerJ posted:

:wtc:

pokemon posted:

it wasn't just any jew lol, it was will eisner. according to diaz he was a "mediocre white man" (quote) who only achieved success because of his white privilege, unlike diaz, who was born in the wagon of a travelling shoooooow and had to fight his way up from the bottom by selling cans (he's like 1/8 cuban and only found out about that 1/8 like five years ago)

:ughh:

Like, Dresden Codak, before it got a proper "plot" was actually interesting, or, when he got high on his own farts.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Were you there
When the group ran the maze with clevin

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bravestofthelamps is banned so Clevin is absent.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah that's actually what inspired the Mary Cagle comic iirc.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

pokemon posted:

even diaz is getting in on it, his latest update was basically k6bd and hellboy mashed brutally together with his characters' names written on the resulting mince in sharpie. most of his pages are like that, basically it's just the last two or three things he read and liked regurgitated as a semi-digested syrup for his audience, as a mother bird does for her child

The term for this is "crop milk" mmmm

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

Bravestofthelamps is banned
:toot:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
he's not banned yet he just ate consecutive week long probes back to back because he cannot quench his poo poo posting instincts, like a moth ramming into a campfire.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
What a waste.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

iospace posted:

Like, Dresden Codak, before it got a proper "plot" was actually interesting, or, when he got high on his own farts.

100% agreed. It was a fun, clever series of creative one-offs, and then he decided to take his 2-D waifu on adventures.

"Time travelers dress like morons because they don't have any more than a broad and shallow understanding of period fashion" was a fantastic bit and it sucks knowing that this was the descent into Plot that eventually killed the really interesting things about DC.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

pokemon posted:

The funniest bit is that he started bringing up his Cuban heritage in reaction to being called out on his Eisner diss.

:roboluv: "Will Eisner was a mediocre white man who only got success because of white privilege. Look how woke I am, belittling the achievements of Old White Men like a proper ally."
:fuckoff: "He was Jewish and experienced discrimination first-hand, which you'd know if you took two minutes to read Wikipedia, you moron."
:roboluv: "Did I mention I'm a Latino? Yup, totally not a white man myself. From this day onward, I'm going to mention my Cuban blood in every single tweet I make."

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/938153005634830336

:toot:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yessssssss

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Rules:

- Drink until you can see the shape of creation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And then drink some more until you can't see it.