Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
The dry suit course was a bunch of bullshit too. 10 pages of content spread out over 50 pages.

That and the neck seals were way too fuckin tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I'd be super smug about BSAC courses right now but they still haven't managed to get digital cert cards out and have only had physical cert cards for about a decade (prior to that it was a little ring binder with all certification information).

The new accelerated decompression course is also hilarious in efforts to be great agnostic. Yes, I think a single 15 with inverted 3l ponies that users colour coded regulators to distinguish different mixes is a perfectly valid option :allears:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Pay And DIve

I think it’s hilarious that Padi has a separate course and certification for recreational nitrox diving. It's literally five minutes of explaining what partial pressure is and how to calculate your maximum depth, then showing how to use an oxygen analyser. All dragged out to about two hours.

Which should really be part of the basic course, since it's all safety related and you should always analyze your gas even if you're diving air.

Does any organization collapse EAN into OW?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Did I miss when computers went from a “SERIOUS hobbyist” thing to an “everybody has one” thing? I hadn’t gone diving in a few years but I’m on a dive trip to the Philippines with family this week. Before starting our first dive we were chatting about the profile and the dive master said something like, “of course, follow your computer” and pointed at my wrist. Turned out he assumed my watch was a very compact computer and was surprised to find I was just going to use a table. My sister didn’t bother bringing her BCD and reg all the way from New York, and while setting up her rented gear she realized that the octopus they gave her only had an air gauge, not a depth gauge. We started diving about fifteen-sixteen years ago so it’s totally possible we’re just behind the times. I remember when I started a dive computer was like $Texas so I didn’t plan on shelling out for one.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 6, 2017

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Those are one of the first things people typically get after their OW course. Tables are barely even taught anymore, and every rental reg we have at the shop I work for has a computer on the console. I couldn’t tell you an exact date that that changed, but locally it was sometime between 2010 and 2014.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can get a basic dive computer like the Mares Puck for like $150-$200, but as long as you know what you're doing you can get by just fine on a timer, depth gauge and table for recreational diving. Even if you have a computer you should know the limits of your dive, because computers can and do break or get lost.

The Electronaut posted:

There are some that go outside the ISO training program, usually the ones that have technical diving as a goal from the start.

The one I'm certified with (SwedTech) covers EAN in their Basic course. You also learn to dive with a single stage rigged according to technical practices i.e. longhose and backup.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 4, 2017

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Nobody else in this thread likes the Cressi stuff, but for $300 I've been very happy with my Cressi Giotto wrist computer.
Does everything I could possibly ask for within recreational limits.

https://www.cressi.com/catalogue/cressitech.asp?id=845

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I have only been diving for a few years but I haven’t seen anyone without a dive computer, if not two of them.

I’m picking up a perdix or something similar in the next few years - for reasons.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Squashy Nipples posted:

Nobody else in this thread likes the Cressi stuff, but for $300 I've been very happy with my Cressi Giotto wrist computer.
Does everything I could possibly ask for within recreational limits.

https://www.cressi.com/catalogue/cressitech.asp?id=845

My wife and I both dive Cressi Leonardos, and aside from being a single-button design, we've had no problems with them. They were our first computers because they had the best price at the time we were shopping, and they've been perfectly fine computers.

As for the PADI discussion, I got into an outright argument with a PADI rep when I fired up their app for the first time, expecting to find all my information loaded in when I associated it with my profile. I was just incredulous that not only would have to pay for a digital C-card, but pay more than a physical card. All the rep could do was regurgitate at how convenient digital C-cards were and could not fathom why they should be cheaper than a physical card, or even free.

Also, it's dumb that my wife and I can't share course materials when we want to take a class. I wish we'd used another certifying agency. :sigh:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I went through SDI's OW earlier this year, it was Al dice computer and almost no coverage on tables.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

The Electronaut posted:

GUE Rec1 class does

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Squashy Nipples posted:

Nobody else in this thread likes the Cressi stuff

Any reason why? I love my compact (no metal plate in the back) Cressi BCD.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Okay, cool. It’s just, like... I know how to use the table and we’re not doing super-technical diving here so I’m probably good without it. If I hadn’t moved away from San Diego a computer was on my list of stuff to pick up (after a drysuit) but these dives are just 60ft/50minutes with hour-plus surface intervals. Maybe I’ll think about getting one. How much does a decent one run you these days?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Can't speak for others but Cressi hasn't got a long track record in dive computers. They also obviously targeted the recreational market, like Mares they went for the single button interface that looks much simpler but makes doing anything other than a few basic operations a bit trickier. At least that's my impression. They're price comparable to Suunto and other better regarded brands so they don't really gain traction in diving communities.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

Okay, cool. It’s just, like... I know how to use the table and we’re not doing super-technical diving here so I’m probably good without it. If I hadn’t moved away from San Diego a computer was on my list of stuff to pick up (after a drysuit) but these dives are just 60ft/50minutes with hour-plus surface intervals. Maybe I’ll think about getting one. How much does a decent one run you these days?

A Suunto Zoop (basic entry level) will run $250-300, typically. With Christmas coming up you may be able to find a better deal at a local dive shop, though! They’re around the same price point for either wrist or console. Every brand has their equivalents that are in the same price ballpark, but I’ve used my Zoop for years (first as a primary, then as a backup) and never had a single issue with it at all. I’m not even sure if I’ve had to change the battery after 100+ dives this year alone, come to think of it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Icon Of Sin posted:

A Suunto Zoop (basic entry level) will run $250-300, typically. With Christmas coming up you may be able to find a better deal at a local dive shop, though! They’re around the same price point for either wrist or console. Every brand has their equivalents that are in the same price ballpark, but I’ve used my Zoop for years (first as a primary, then as a backup) and never had a single issue with it at all. I’m not even sure if I’ve had to change the battery after 100+ dives this year alone, come to think of it.

Cool, thanks. Like I said we’ll think about it, though things like this:

The Electronaut posted:

I went through SDI's OW earlier this year, it was Al dice computer and almost no coverage on tables.

make me go :ohdear: but what if the computer fails :ohdear: even though I know in my head that in that 1-in-1,000,000 instance you can probably just surface and get back on the boat. It’s weird to feel like a cranky old man about things. My sister’s boyfriend is with us, and he did the classroom and pool parts of his NAUI cert back in New York and the ocean parts here, and says they didn’t talk about computers during the course. And I’m not trying to square certifying entities off against each other, all my certs are PADI*.

*the joke I learned was “Put Another Dollar In”

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

make me go :ohdear: but what if the computer fails :ohdear: even though I know in my head that in that 1-in-1,000,000 instance you can probably just surface and get back on the boat.
Unless you're doing deco dives it's no emergency, but it's nice not having to abort a dive.

It's like
"My computer broke 10 minutes into the dive. Without it I don't know my current limits so I have to abort the dive and surface"
vs
"My computer broke 10 minutes into the dive, but I noted my maximum depth and bottom time before the dive so I know I can stay down for 30 more minutes."

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

MrNemo posted:

Can't speak for others but Cressi hasn't got a long track record in dive computers. They also obviously targeted the recreational market, like Mares they went for the single button interface that looks much simpler but makes doing anything other than a few basic operations a bit trickier. At least that's my impression. They're price comparable to Suunto and other better regarded brands so they don't really gain traction in diving communities.

Yeah, that's why I bought the $300 one, it has three buttons, which I think makes it MUCH easier to us. Unless maybe you are wearing really heavy gloves? I haven't used a lot of Cressi gear, but it definitely seems a little geared towards warm water diving.

I also had some Cressi short snorkeling fins that I loved, but they didn't fit right and gave me blisters, so I had to get rid of them.

Senso posted:

Any reason why? I love my compact (no metal plate in the back) Cressi BCD.

My dive buddy bought a Cressi BCD on sale on Leisure Pro for $325, and it's very comparable to my $700 Scubapro Knighthawk. Hard to argue with half the price.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

Nothing wrong with tables, but when you’re paying hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, to dive it seems like an easy decision to spend a couple hundred on the one device that actually increases your dive time. It also doesn’t help that some places make them mandatory.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
What should I be looking for in a computer?

Right now all I know is to get one that supports nitrox, and a low profile since the one that I borrowed from the dive shop constantly snagged on my bcd when I got in and out of it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Demon_Corsair posted:

What should I be looking for in a computer?

Right now all I know is to get one that supports nitrox, and a low profile since the one that I borrowed from the dive shop constantly snagged on my bcd when I got in and out of it.

Nitrox, Ease of Use, and Algorithm are the three big ones. I don’t think a lot of people think about the algorithm used, and the three main considerations are: do you want it to be modifiable, how conservative, and if you consistently dive with a buddy then match algorithm type if not computers.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

asur posted:

Nitrox, Ease of Use, and Algorithm are the three big ones. I don’t think a lot of people think about the algorithm used, and the three main considerations are: do you want it to be modifiable, how conservative, and if you consistently dive with a buddy then match algorithm type if not computers.

Yeah there's not much in the way of safety as a factor in choosing computer. Basically all modern computers should work well and have a basic sensible algorithm (barring occasional quality issues, I think the Mares Puck had a bad run a while ago). Nitrox capability is also pretty universal now but worth checking.

Clarity of the display is probably the major one, especially the display on the dive (as opposed to the surface display). Make sure it's clear and easy for you to understand. No Deco Time should be really prominent and current depth should be the next most obvious data items. Being able to set conservatism ratings can be useful as it lets you tone down the agressiveness of your dive profiles if you find yourself feeling really worn out after diving or you've got any health factors. Profile is also worth thinking about, the two general approaches seem to be big and clear or smaller and portable. The latter look more like watches and can be worn all day (makes it easier to make sure you've got your computer on) and the former are easier to use and read. If you're doing any cold water diving or have eyesight issues I would seriously advise ignoring fashion and getting a big one like the Zoop.

Beyond that some things to think about might be air integration to let you monitor everything in one place. Gas switching is a nice option if you think your diving might develop to using a richer mix for decompression (very, very much an optional feature). Gauge mode is a good future proof as well since if you want to do more advanced diving it will still be able to work as a backup with tables. A more important extra factor is computer integration. I've got an Oceanic Geo 2 and it has a USB cable that lets it upload to the Oceanic logbook programme, so it will automatically upload depth, time, profile and I can add in location data and dive notes. Air integration means that also gets included automatically. I think most modern computers have a cable or bluetooth capability but it's worth checking as some charge extra and some are infrared connections (they'll also sell you an overpriced IR dongle).

On the computer thing generally: I'd say the community has gone to computers as standard over the last 10 years or so. In our club it's one of the first pieces of kit we recommend people buy and try to fit teaching understanding how the computers work into our basic courses. With things like the Zoop being relatively cheap (especially with occasional deals or sales or eBay) and being super easy to transport and good for any kind of diving (and considering the rental costs), they're basically the most no-brainer thing to buy for someone who is pretty certain they're going to keep on diving once they have a mask and fins.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrNemo posted:

Yeah there's not much in the way of safety as a factor in choosing computer. Basically all modern computers should work well and have a basic sensible algorithm (barring occasional quality issues, I think the Mares Puck had a bad run a while ago). Nitrox capability is also pretty universal now but worth checking.

Clarity of the display is probably the major one, especially the display on the dive (as opposed to the surface display). Make sure it's clear and easy for you to understand. No Deco Time should be really prominent and current depth should be the next most obvious data items. Being able to set conservatism ratings can be useful as it lets you tone down the agressiveness of your dive profiles if you find yourself feeling really worn out after diving or you've got any health factors. Profile is also worth thinking about, the two general approaches seem to be big and clear or smaller and portable. The latter look more like watches and can be worn all day (makes it easier to make sure you've got your computer on) and the former are easier to use and read. If you're doing any cold water diving or have eyesight issues I would seriously advise ignoring fashion and getting a big one like the Zoop.

Beyond that some things to think about might be air integration to let you monitor everything in one place. Gas switching is a nice option if you think your diving might develop to using a richer mix for decompression (very, very much an optional feature). Gauge mode is a good future proof as well since if you want to do more advanced diving it will still be able to work as a backup with tables. A more important extra factor is computer integration. I've got an Oceanic Geo 2 and it has a USB cable that lets it upload to the Oceanic logbook programme, so it will automatically upload depth, time, profile and I can add in location data and dive notes. Air integration means that also gets included automatically. I think most modern computers have a cable or bluetooth capability but it's worth checking as some charge extra and some are infrared connections (they'll also sell you an overpriced IR dongle).

Nitrox is available in basically all but the most basic, budget computers. One thing that I’d look for specifically is the above mentioned editable profiles and stop depths, but for opposite reasons. My Suunto Vyper Novo is a great computer, but the thing insists on REALLY shallow safety stops. Everyone I dive with plans a twenty foot safety stop, so after stopping with everyone else for five minutes at twenty feet, my computer loses its loving mind as I pass through ten feet. I also consistently have the most conservative bottom times and surface intervals, sometimes by as much as 20% compared to someone else with a different computer. Being able to tweak those things would make it a much better computer, though I’d already recommend it. The display is extremely easy to read, and it’s easy to use, even with thick gloves on.

I got mine for less than half price, when someone gave me an older Suunto computer that was in need of service. Suunto doesn’t make parts for that model anymore, and upgraded me for like $275.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I also consistently have the most conservative bottom times and surface intervals, sometimes by as much as 20% compared to someone else with a different computer. Being able to tweak those things would make it a much better computer, though I’d already recommend it.

I ran into the same problem with my Suunto D6I re: hilariously conservative NDLs. The gas bubble model used (RGBM) is more conservative than the DSAT one, but I could adjust it down a touch if I wanted. I moved mine to RGBM 50% and it’s a bit more in line with my other computers now (but still more conservative).

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I see a ton of computers called out for very conservative gas models, do any of them sub $500 actually have adjustable or more permissive models? Or is it jump into Shearwater territory?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

The Electronaut posted:

I see a ton of computers called out for very conservative gas models, do any of them sub $500 actually have adjustable or more permissive models? Or is it jump into Shearwater territory?

Oceanic computer Are dual algorithm and offer a choice between a liberal DSAT and a more conservative Buhlmann PZ+. I believe Aeris and Genesis are similar. Suunto and Mares are the two that a very conservative using a RGBM model. I believe older Mares models used a modified Haldanean algorithm, but the newer models appear to have switched.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

asur posted:

Oceanic computer Are dual algorithm and offer a choice between a liberal DSAT and a more conservative Buhlmann PZ+. I believe Aeris and Genesis are similar. Suunto and Mares are the two that a very conservative using a RGBM model. I believe older Mares models used a modified Haldanean algorithm, but the newer models appear to have switched.
This for me is a big selling point for the Oceanic computers. For tech dives I'd use my Suunto but for everything else it's my Oceanic that I'm using.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

A few points worth making on that: absolutely right generally, Suunto's are famously conservative although I'd say that all Bulhman algorithm computers are similar. DSAT computers like my oceanic can react badly to repeated deep dives, if you're doing a week of decompression diving you can end up with things like 2 minutes of no Deco time at 30m.

The most important thing, related to that is to make sure you have a similar algorithm to your dive buddies if you can. It's a pain calling a dive because your buddy has hit their limits.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Planning the Spring Break 2018 dive trip with the kid. As always, on a tight budget, so it looks like the Florida Keys this year. Does anyone know of a Keys all-inclusive that runs dive charters on location?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

GORDON posted:

Planning the Spring Break 2018 dive trip with the kid. As always, on a tight budget, so it looks like the Florida Keys this year. Does anyone know of a Keys all-inclusive that runs dive charters on location?

Have you compared the keys to Bonaire?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Ropes4u posted:

Bonaire owns and everyone should dive there

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ropes4u posted:

Priced it earlier today, the air fare there is triple for about anywhere else in the Caribbean. It breaks the budget.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

let it mellow posted:

Bonaire owns and everyone should dive there

Yeah Bonaire is great

GORDON posted:

Priced it earlier today, the air fare there is triple for about anywhere else in the Caribbean. It breaks the budget.

This is understandable though.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I thought the Keys were pricey?

Bonaire can get expensive, but direct flights from JFK on JetBlue gets you to Curacao pretty cheap.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
So I'll admit, I've only dove in the US and Mexico, and have nearly 700 dives. And I know there are so many great locations all over the world that I am just...missing. I think it's tough because travel for two(since I dislike leaving the wife at home) is annoying...but GOOD NEWS EVERYONE, wife is in the process of getting tuned up for diving and we'll be traveling together soon. I'm figuring Roatan is probably first on the list

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Go to Provo, seriously, and hook up with aqua tci. Steph and Bill own

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Bonaire is crazy easy diving and you do it at your own pace. I think it'd be a great spot for an experienced person to take a newbie.

I just got back from Indonesia and have a ton of pictures, would it be okay to post ~20 pics to this thread or is that too spammy?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Bonaire is crazy easy diving and you do it at your own pace. I think it'd be a great spot for an experienced person to take a newbie.

I just got back from Indonesia and have a ton of pictures, would it be okay to post ~20 pics to this thread or is that too spammy?

Post them all 😍

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DeadlyMuffin posted:

This is a silly question.

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Post themmmm.

I still have my DMT pics from Komodo I've yet to edit and post. Including flamboyant cuttlefish vids.

(I'm lazy)