Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Vox Nihili posted:

He's being arrested for civil disobedience in a civilized country and he knows he will be treated humanely by professionals rather than beaten or shot by psychotic sadists as he would have been in the US. He'll probably be out with his family tonight adding those pics to his social media accounts.

ACAB m8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

https://twitter.com/Zeurel/status/937474639856467968

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Tiler Kiwi posted:

god was never great
and now he's dead

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hes not wrong

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

frankenfreak posted:

and now he's dead

and we killed him

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Yossarian-22 posted:

platoon has the most oliver stone peak liberalism line ever: "I think now, looking back, we did not fight the enemy; we fought ourselves. And the enemy... was in us."

are troops :cry:

I somehow ended up watching Platoon at school once and all I could think was why weren't we watching Apocalypse Now instead :argh:

god drat yoga loving liberal cuck English teacher

A Handed Missus has issued a correction as of 15:44 on Dec 4, 2017

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

frankenfreak posted:

and now he's dead

https://youtu.be/4BuZamufWAs

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

oh gently caress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

that makes ben garrison the gayest of all

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

A Handed Missus posted:

I somehow ended up watching Platoon at school once and all I could think was why weren't we watching Apocalypse Now instead :argh:

god drat yoga loving liberal cuck English teacher

you stupid motherfucker

you should have watched *reading out loud from the box* SEAN PENN MICHAEL JAY FOX CASUALTIES OF WAR

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

honestly, the right is more taoism and nihilism combined

buddism isn't that enlightened~

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lastgirl posted:

That's interesting - does taoism have a conception of the world as inherently just?

That's what I think of as the Right's defining characteristic but this view might be years out of date now

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

greend00d
Nov 9, 2017

hello friend
this is from February of this year, but I feel this thread would be incomplete without it.

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/836377069546319874

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RaVE
Nov 28, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's interesting - does taoism have a conception of the world as inherently just?

no, the baseline is "the world is the way it is you idiot, you loving moron" and poo poo things happen because people don't get this

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

buddhism and taoism are both similar to christianity in that most of the actual religious texts are very contrary to how most modern adherents behave themselves
og buddhism was basically a reaction to the horrific discrimination and classism built into hinduism but like most religions it very quickly was corrupted and there was an early buddhist schism in which a bunch of people did a fygm reinterpretation of the religion and shocker it became the popular version

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's what I think of as the Right's defining characteristic but this view might be years out of date now

not really but like most eastern religions it says you should try to not be a little poo poo
The Master has no possessions.
The more he does for others, the happier he is.
The more he gives to others, the wealthier he is.
Dao De Jing chapter 81

a good book to learn more that is short enough for the cspam attention span is awakening an introduction to the history of eastern thought by patrick s bresnan

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Dairy Days posted:

buddhism and taoism are both similar to christianity in that most of the actual religious texts are very contrary to how most modern adherents behave themselves
og buddhism was basically a reaction to the horrific discrimination and classism built into hinduism but like most religions it very quickly was corrupted and there was an early buddhist schism in which a bunch of people did a fygm reinterpretation of the religion and shocker it became the popular version

:hai:

what a surprise, people trying to make it mean something else is the most ironic thing to do for taoism~

Nebakenezzer posted:

no, taoism's views are "as is" so you never really have to wrack your brain and do mental gymnastics to justify things at all, thefore if the boot stamps on you its fine because thats just what it is!! :sun:

the comic is right about that buddhism likes to suffer but its always to prove something, where taoism accepts things unblinkingly

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

hell yeah

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

you stupid motherfucker

you should have watched *reading out loud from the box* SEAN PENN MICHAEL JAY FOX CASUALTIES OF WAR

hachi machi :ohdear:

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
https://twitter.com/PrettyBadLefty/status/937728535669682176

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

https://twitter.com/turing_police/status/937742523107196929

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Don't listen to these people, taoism is about becoming a wizard and making jiangshi.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

is Alyssa’s issue with slavery that they’re being sold for too little?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Volcott posted:

Don't listen to these people, taoism is about becoming a wizard and making jiangshi.

the only correct take, i see my errors now and retract all previous statements on taoism

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dairy Days posted:

not really but like most eastern religions it says you should try to not be a little poo poo
The Master has no possessions.
The more he does for others, the happier he is.
The more he gives to others, the wealthier he is.
Dao De Jing chapter 81

a good book to learn more that is short enough for the cspam attention span is awakening an introduction to the history of eastern thought by patrick s bresnan

I can't believe God is loving dead

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
It finally happened. The most newsworthy story of all time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/937719464552009729

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

SplitSoul posted:

Animal rights protester at G7 last year. For other examples of ~civilised~ police, refer to G20 earlier this year where hundreds of protesters were brutalised.

https://i.imgur.com/cc2PbA8.gifv

in america, the other police would not have pulled him off, in fact they'd be busy breaking their ribs and wrists

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Al! posted:

in america, the other police would not have pulled him off, in fact they'd be busy breaking their ribs and wrists

he deserves worse for that haircut imo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Al! posted:

acab has no borders, comrade

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jose posted:

ACAB m8

I mean yes, but this is also coming from someone who doesn't know how good he has it. You aren't going to get shot 15 times for reaching for your wallet or opening a car door in the UK or Germany.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
To be fair, most of those 15 bullets will probably miss.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

The Little Kielbasa posted:

It finally happened. The most newsworthy story of all time.

he's running

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

Vox Nihili posted:

I mean yes, but this is also coming from someone who doesn't know how good he has it. You aren't going to get shot 15 times for reaching for your wallet or opening a car door in the UK or Germany.

do you know who mark duggan is

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

He wasn’t opening a car door, or reaching for a wallet. If I recall he was running to catch a train while looking a bit foreign.

[Edit]No I was thinking of a different person killed by police under dubious reasoning

Varkk has issued a correction as of 00:13 on Dec 5, 2017

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

tag youre fat posted:

do you know who mark duggan is

there's a mark duggan every single day in america

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i remember some black dude who got beaten by french cops and they claimed that during the beating his pants accidentally fell down and they accidentally happened to shove their batons up his rear end repeatedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012