Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
shitcoin :69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I don't understand how 4 million bitcoins just go missing.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

a bone to pick posted:

a huge irreplaceable part of a real money always always goes missing

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
This Cryptokitties thing is really cool and the first time I've ever actually seen an easy-to-understand example of how the Etherium network can actually be used in a practical way (even if it's just Crypto beanie babies)

I'm trying to buy a kittie on it but the cheapest ones sell out insanely fast and I don't wanna pay more than $20 to mess around with it :(

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

No chargebacks, simple as that

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

spandexcajun posted:

It's not bitcoin, it's either, but I made $200 this weekend playing cryptokitties.co !

Finally, a litigate use for crypto. Eat it haters.

Tulips within tulips. Sorry but I have to upstage cryptokitties with:

quote:

"Venezuela will create a cryptocurrency," backed by oil, gas, gold and diamond reserves, Maduro said in his regular Sunday televised broadcast, a five-hour showcase of Christmas songs and dancing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/03/venezuela-is-launching-a-cryptocurrency-backed-by-oil-gas-gold-and-diamonds.html

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
remember bitgem?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Ups_rail posted:

remember bitgem?

Was that backed by hyperinflation too?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I wish I'd invested in Butterfy Labs

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

spandexcajun posted:

It's not bitcoin, it's either, but I made $200 this weekend playing cryptokitties.co !

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/03/people-have-spent-over-1m-buying-virtual-cats-on-the-ethereum-blockchain/

I'm glad you had a fun productive weekend exchanging imaginary money for imaginary cats.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

spandexcajun posted:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/03/people-have-spent-over-1m-buying-virtual-cats-on-the-ethereum-blockchain/

some of those kitties look like squirrels

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
If the kittens were cuter this might be right up my alley.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I made $10 by buying a pretend cat and then immediately selling it

E: and now the prices are completely skyrocketing because everyone else wants to do the same, maybe i should've kept it

E2: this cryptokitties thing is like BTC in microcosm - prices are spiking right now because Forbes and Techcrunch posted articles about it, so everyone is jumping on board hoping to make a quick buck. I wonder how long until it crashes into the ground?

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 4, 2017

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Bardeh posted:

I wonder how long until it crashes into the ground?

Well, my kitties have doubled in value overnight but I can't sell poo poo because I think the eth network is totally broke. By pictures of cats on the internet. Visa, central banks, large governments, watch out!

I have worked for internet companies for 15 years now and the biggest problems are always related to scaling.... adserving, search, social, image hosting, you name it. Crypto can't scale so it won't work. I'm sure someone will figure it out, but it looks pretty far of for now.

PROTIP: Buy all the kitties as soon as you can, I'm up $300 now :)

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm gonna buy a kitty but not because of Bitcoin, because they're cute.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

CassandraZara posted:

I'm gonna buy a kitty but not because of Bitcoin, because they're cute.

good luck to you, it seems like the network is completely overloaded by Kitty transactions and the fees are ridiculous compared to only a few hours ago

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
what the gently caress is going on in this thread

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
another cyrptocoin got crashed by a neopets microtransaction skinner box

in real life

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

willroc7 posted:

Kitties

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

fiat will be replaced by cryptokitties

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

willroc7 posted:

I’ll tell you what’s going on bitch

It’s crypto

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

And now crypto has morphed to be actual digital beanie babies :hellyeah:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If we had all bought bitcoins at 6000 a month at we'd all be rich

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Comment from the developers of Cryptokitties on hackernews:

"When we started the project, we expected to use a standard, eBay-style, rising auction with successive bids, but that resulted in way too many on-chain transactions. So, we had to find a kind of auction that required just two committed transactions: Starting the auction, and claiming the winning bid. The answer was a descending clock auction, where you set some start price and gradually drop the price over time until someone chooses to pay. (It's formally equivalent to a first-price, sealed bid auction, if you're an auction theory aficionado!)
The common name for a descending clock auctions? "Dutch Auction" or "Tulip Auction". The irony is not lost on us..."

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

spandexcajun posted:

The common name for a descending clock auctions? "Dutch Auction" or "Tulip Auction". The irony is not lost on us..."

As I said tulips within tulips. I do like how ETH smart contracts are good enough to cave when someone tries to use them. It's as if all cryptos are unsuited for mainstream use.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
What happens when wallets are deleted?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I want to buy a kitty but I don't want to set up a wallet and poo poo *sigh*

e: ok it's pretty easy to do actually

myDad posted:

What happens when wallets are deleted?

... aaaand it's gone!

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 4, 2017

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
OK I had to make a CoinBase account to buy some EtherCoins so it asked me to put my email in and then it send me the verification code... and now there's no link in the email and nowhere on their page to enter the verification code.

:thumbsup:

e: Had to go back to some other page but manage to do it.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 4, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

COMRADES posted:

OK I had to make a CoinBase account to buy some EtherCoins so it asked me to put my email in and then it send me the verification code... and now there's no link in the email and nowhere on their page to enter the verification code.

:thumbsup:

e: Had to go back to some other page but manage to do it.

Welcome to crypto. If you'd done this very easy thing in February of this year and invested 1% of your net worth, you could be worth tens of thousands of dollars at this point.

Or zero.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Lol thread luminaries divabot and now COMRADES are stymied by "signing up for stuff online" that's really weird to me

Good luck goons

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Lol thread luminaries divabot and now COMRADES are stymied by "signing up for stuff online" that's really weird to me

Good luck goons

Everything is all verified and whatnot and I'm trying to buy ETH and it keeps loading on the "Confirm Purchase" thing and then flashing 'User is unable to buy' at me.

What now? Do I let it run until it works, do I hit the buy button or refresh again (but I don't want to get charged 2x...), do I call them?

e: Oh I need to submit photo ID and get verified. lol but they don't say that.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 4, 2017

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

Everything is all verified and whatnot and I'm trying to buy ETH and it keeps loading on the "Confirm Purchase" thing and then flashing 'User is unable to buy' at me.

Did you know that 3 million people, 3 million, signed up for a Coinbase account from start of September to end of November

3 million people can manage to make that webpage work, I hope you can find your way to this illicit cabal and join them

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I was going to joke about how many of those accounts were bots, but then I wondered if we were going to see a complete bot market somewhere one day from a series of rogue algorithms that’s just bots trading virtual currency with other bots.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Did you know that 3 million people, 3 million, signed up for a Coinbase account from start of September to end of November

3 million people can manage to make that webpage work, I hope you can find your way to this illicit cabal and join them

What does that loving mean to me guy lol if I can't easily buy a kitty how is my gf's mom who can barely log in to her email supposed to do it?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
The page actually is crap though, when I signed up for it a few months ago it kept failing to accept my driver's license photo which was perfectly readable and there was no one to talk to about it since they don't really have support

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

What does that loving mean to me guy lol if I can't easily buy a kitty how is my gf's mom who can barely log in to her email supposed to do it?

3 million people didn't have email problems and managed it in the span of a few months, so while there are hiccups it seems to work for many people

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

LOL crypto can really do no wrong in the eyes of Ham

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Coinbase is good but it has this weird front-end race condition glitch where it shows all your balances as $0.00 from time to time. Perhaps an omen for things to come.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Goodpancakes posted:

It can convince people to eat their own left testicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Goodpancakes posted:

lol I find it hilarious that people are like "I can't work a webpage" while 3 million randoms on the internet manage it and are like "Clearly crypto is hosed because I can't work an email verification" unironically

which was the same move divabot did