Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

iajanus posted:

Is there a way to copy a subsection of a message in messages? I've tried every combination of actions to no avail.

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

LODGE NORTH posted:

Apple Maps has taken me to literally no actual location three times. I’ll drive down a road and it’ll tell me I’ve arrived. Load up Google Maps and I’m 12 minutes away or some poo poo.

the location info is definitely not as good/up to date. as someone in a major metropolitan area that doesn't run a car apple maps is more than good enough for my uses tho. i just wish they'd add biking directions/transit times

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Generic Monk posted:

the location info is definitely not as good/up to date. as someone in a major metropolitan area that doesn't run a car apple maps is more than good enough for my uses tho. i just wish they'd add biking directions/transit times

Yeah. The one reason I use Google Maps is so I can get transit directions/times. Literally that's it. Google Maps is loving tits at transit. At least in my city, it's integrated with the transit system so you know if the bus/train will be early/late. It's great.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don’t use transit data but could you get dedicated transit apps or whatever that would add the info to Apple Maps?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don’t use transit data but could you get dedicated transit apps or whatever that would add the info to Apple Maps?

Last time I tried this it just kicked me to the transit app. Lame. It’s got transit directions for my city now though so it’s all good. Google maps is still better at displaying data for that, though. Apple‘s is always just a smidgen too minimalistic.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Last time I tried it, it sucked, but that was admittedly a few years ago. I had forgotten about it. I'll try it again just for you.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I have a hard time seeing how Apple Maps can ever be as good as Google except in specific, niche circumstances.

Google just has access to so much data.

(which is problematic in all sorts of ways, and I'd prefer a different situation except I can't think of another situation where we still get all the benefits)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I do not like the handle 11.2 put under connection status.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Wi-Fi calling seems to have been nerfed for me in 11.2. Tried all the fixes, am on Sprint.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Can someone with an iPhone X confirm something for me? If you swipe down to bring control center down and then swipe from the bottom indicator up to close it again, do you also get a weird vibration? I get no vibration when swiping the notification shade back up or when just tapping somewhere on the control center screen. But when I swipe up all the way from the bottom my iPhone does this weird vibration.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bronin posted:

Can someone with an iPhone X confirm something for me? If you swipe down to bring control center down and then swipe from the bottom indicator up to close it again, do you also get a weird vibration? I get no vibration when swiping the notification shade back up or when just tapping somewhere on the control center screen. But when I swipe up all the way from the bottom my iPhone does this weird vibration.

Yeah it does that, and if you look at the bottom handle, it bops up and bounces back, which it doesn't do in any other circumstance that I've noticed. It's entirely intentional.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Owners who have the iPhone X for a month, do you miss the touch id button? Now that the iPhone X is in stock in my area, I was thinking about upgrading. The only thing I'm hesitant on is the face id unlocking. When I'm running, I tend to unlock my phone every 10-20 minutes to switch albums. With sweat and movement while running, should I worry about face id not working?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Apple Pay Cash toggle now shows up in Settings for me (after reboot) on the release build of 11.2, but it's still broken at the moment:

Maybe it'll start working by the end of the day.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rabid Snake posted:

Owners who have the iPhone X for a month, do you miss the touch id button? Now that the iPhone X is in stock in my area, I was thinking about upgrading. The only thing I'm hesitant on is the face id unlocking. When I'm running, I tend to unlock my phone every 10-20 minutes to switch albums. With sweat and movement while running, should I worry about face id not working?

Only thing I miss is being able to unlock my phone on the nightstand without putting in my PIN. Otherwise, nope!

Sweat won't affect Face ID at all, unless you happen to be like, "slathered in Astroglide" glistening, then maybe the IR beams could get diffracted (but even still I doubt it.) It also works quite well in motion; sometimes, it'll unlock as I'm quickly pulling the phone up to my face at an angle. I imagine the average movements of running/jogging won't be a problem.

enojy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 4, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rabid Snake posted:

The only thing the lack of touchID and button has bothered me is whenever I go back to using my work phone I find myself swiping up when trying to close/move an app then sitting there like an idiot wondering why it isn’t working.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I don't miss the button at all. Only time it trips me up is when I'm dragging around apps and there isn't a button to close out of the jiggle icon mode instead they have a "Done" button at the top corner.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

particle9 posted:

I don't miss the button at all. Only time it trips me up is when I'm dragging around apps and there isn't a button to close out of the jiggle icon mode instead they have a "Done" button at the top corner.

Nah just do the 'go home' gesture, like you would push the Home button. Didn't even notice the Done button.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Thanks for the replies! I'll be picking one up after work

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The Apple Pay Cash toggle now shows up in Settings for me (after reboot) on the release build of 11.2, but it's still broken at the moment:

I just got a pop up in Messages of all places that it’s enabled.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah it does that, and if you look at the bottom handle, it bops up and bounces back, which it doesn't do in any other circumstance that I've noticed. It's entirely intentional.

Thanks. It also makes a weird rattling sound when doing that though. No other vibration from the Taptic engine does that. Only the vibration from the control center...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Hmm... I don't have that listed as an option. In the US and verified 11.2 iPhone 8 plus on T-Mobile.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's on mine and turning it on, gives that message, but leaves it on, and the Apple Pay Cash card is in my Wallet, but won't let me set up.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Rabid Snake posted:

Thanks for the replies! I'll be picking one up after work

No regerts

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

enojy posted:

Only thing I miss is being able to unlock my phone on the nightstand without putting in my PIN. Otherwise, nope!

Sweat won't affect Face ID at all, unless you happen to be like, "slathered in Astroglide" glistening, then maybe the IR beams could get diffracted (but even still I doubt it.) It also works quite well in motion; sometimes, it'll unlock as I'm quickly pulling the phone up to my face at an angle. I imagine the average movements of running/jogging won't be a problem.

I’m constantly slathered in Astroglide and it still works fine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

It's on mine and turning it on, gives that message, but leaves it on, and the Apple Pay Cash card is in my Wallet, but won't let me set up.

I got mine setup already and even linked my bank account to it. It appears you need a debit card linked to Apple Pay in order to add cash to it. You can add a bank directly (routing/account numbers) in order to transfer money to the bank.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 4, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I turned it off since it wasn't working and now the switch is completely gone. :negative:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Hmm... I don't have that listed as an option. In the US and verified 11.2 iPhone 8 plus on T-Mobile.

Did a reboot and still nothing. Crud.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Weird, the release they rushed out to apparently fix a weird date bug ends up with bugs and weird inexplicable discrepancies between users.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sleepwalkers posted:

Weird, the release they rushed out to apparently fix a weird date bug ends up with bugs and weird inexplicable discrepancies between users.

The iOS 11 slogan.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Everything is fine for me! Realized AirPods were very quiet at max connected to iPhone X but re pair fixed it.

Don’t get that control centre vibe you guys get either.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Pivo posted:

Everything is fine for me! Realized AirPods were very quiet at max connected to iPhone X but re pair fixed it.

Don’t get that control centre vibe you guys get either.

I have this issue too and it's really goddamn annoying.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I'm really digging my iPhone X.. had it for almost a full week now.

I've only encountered one weird bug, with the OS refusing to rotate out of landscape mode. A reboot fixed it.

I hope Apple comes up with a better way to activate control center, maybe with a force-press on the app switcher bar at the bottom? That upper-right swipe is tough, and I used CC all the time.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

I have this issue too and it's really goddamn annoying.

Yeah but I mean it’s fixed now. I’ve reconnected disconnected etc and the volume stays fixed. Does it reoccur for you?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Pivo posted:

Yeah but I mean it’s fixed now. I’ve reconnected disconnected etc and the volume stays fixed. Does it reoccur for you?

yep. and i have connection problems to my macs (work iMac 5k, and home MacBook). Apple store replaced my buds but not the charging case and I have no idea what the gently caress is going on.

I'm extremely tempted to call amex and see if they'll replace them because im fed up.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hm. I haven't had any connection problems, just the volume thing. Amex's extended warranty / insurance should be pretty legit, but if Apple's warranty is still active, what would you claim? I haven't tried it with my Amex but when I claimed my laptop against my renter's insurance, they needed a repair order with a value attached to process the claim. Based on accounts I've read of people using it, it's similar - you show them a receipt for an out of warranty repair, for example.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Pivo posted:

Hm. I haven't had any connection problems, just the volume thing. Amex's extended warranty / insurance should be pretty legit, but if Apple's warranty is still active, what would you claim? I haven't tried it with my Amex but when I claimed my laptop against my renter's insurance, they needed a repair order with a value attached to process the claim. Based on accounts I've read of people using it, it's similar - you show them a receipt for an out of warranty repair, for example.

I'm going to chalk it up to them being busy with the holiday rush. So if his shot keeps up I'm going to go back and ask for a battery case repair. I just get a spinning connect circle on my devices sometimes or the volume icon dance on my macs and it'll take a few minutes to connect.

Meanwhile my QC35s connect instantaneously. It's infuriating and I'm out of the return window by a lot.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah that doesn't happen to me at all, sounds like something's up. Good luck dude, they're pretty awesome when they work.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Is anyone else seeing this behavior, where the time display is blurred out as if it’s under a translucent overlay?

It’s unlocked in my screenshot but that happened as i was taking the picture. It looks like that unlocked too.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

SLOSifl posted:

Is anyone else seeing this behavior, where the time display is blurred out as if it’s under a translucent overlay?

It’s unlocked in my screenshot but that happened as i was taking the picture. It looks like that unlocked too.

Works for me (shameless wallpaper plug)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Something I haven't thought about since the release of the iPhone 5, but is it safe to buy third party lightning cables these days? I just snapped the usb on my last one and I'd rather just grab one from the grocery store or a gas station vs paying $25 or however how much they are now. I just remember that buying third party was a horrible idea back when they switched over from the 30 pin thing.