Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The really wild thing about the endowment effect is that it sets in with totally inanimate objects that you didn't want or need in the first place basically the second you give them to someone.

Like, the original study by Thaler was done with coffee mugs, which then showed an endowment effect to the tune of 50% of the median value.

If I gave you a coffee cup and ask you how much I'd have to pay before you'd sell it to me, you'll name me a price that's 50% higher than the price for which you'd buy that same cup.

Incredible stuff.

It is an elegant concept with a lot of BWM-related explanatory power re: personal possessions, but I'm not really comfortable attaching it to living things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Vox Nihili posted:

Endowment effect: certain inferior humans experience emotions such as love and/or affection.

I get being sad that you're pet is dying, but part of being an adult is being rational enough to do something that makes you sad to avoid financially ruining your family.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The really wild thing about the endowment effect is that it sets in with totally inanimate objects that you didn't want or need in the first place basically the second you give them to someone.

Like, the original study by Thaler was done with coffee mugs, which then showed an endowment effect to the tune of 50% of the median value.

If I gave you a coffee cup and ask you how much I'd have to pay before you'd sell it to me, you'll name me a price that's 50% higher than the price for which you'd buy that same cup.

Incredible stuff.
Yes because they like the coffee mug. Fathers who have gotten lovely coffee mugs made by retarded 2 graders really love it and of course the amount required to relinquish the item to someone else will be illogically high. There's a difference between what the person is willing to sell it for and what the person actually believes the value of the item is. I believe a similar experiment was done with IKEA self assembled furniture, they actually thought the items value had increased because they assembled it. Going back to the cat, it's really sad they can't let the animal move on. It's really scary when this effect is applied to living beings, the horror stories of people trying to keep their loved ones or pets alive. :( Just let them go. I know their super valuable to you, but you need to let them die.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Suspicious Lump posted:

Yes because they like the coffee mug. Fathers who have gotten lovely coffee mugs made by retarded 2 graders really love it and of course the amount required to relinquish the item to someone else will be illogically high. There's a difference between what the person is willing to sell it for and what the person actually believes the value of the item is. I believe a similar experiment was done with IKEA self assembled furniture, they actually thought the items value had increased because they assembled it. Going back to the cat, it's really sad they can't let the animal move on. It's really scary when this effect is applied to living beings, the horror stories of people trying to keep their loved ones or pets alive. :( Just let them go. I know their super valuable to you, but you need to let them die.

Thought this was a John Smith post.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Haifisch posted:

OP of the cat post edited in some budget info:

Alright, I'm asking.

We were making dinner rolls for Thanksgiving and stepped out of the room for a minute. Turns out a dog’s stomach acts like an oven, the yeast makes the dough rise inside the stomach and the yeast also creates ethanol gas. So you have to get them to vomit out the dough to avoid a bowel obstruction and then watch the liver for possible damage from the ethanol depending on how much the dough rose. In our case it was an overnight stay, although if you have to you can take the dog home and just keep a close eye on them after the initial intestine X-ray or whatever it is and the liver test.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

Jordan7hm posted:

Thought this was a John Smith post.

John Smith only hates black cats.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I don’t understand all these dogs eating themselves to death when the vast majority of the world’s dogs are feral animals that roam wild and eat garbage in developing countries.

Do all of you just have dumbshit inbred labs?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Mwahaha, it's like a BWM double-header. Tell me they can't afford it, or an unexpected $1000 expense.

They are Disney fanatics (all of their vacations are Disney related. :barf: ) so it is marginally harder to say if they can afford it. Sadly they could weather a surprise expense. That being said being able to afford it today and being able to afford it in who knows how many years is two very different things. I think they already spend way too much on Disney poo poo, but they do it all with cash on hand and funded retirement accounts.

we all made fun of them for buying it and they told us about it with shame in their eyes.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

cowofwar posted:

I don’t understand all these dogs eating themselves to death when the vast majority of the world’s dogs are feral animals that roam wild and eat garbage in developing countries.

Wild dogs just die virtually nonstop but you don't get specifically informed of it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

cowofwar posted:

Dogs have been bred to be dumb as hell (mostly) and their natural prey items are not balls of dough.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Suspicious Lump posted:

Yes because they like the coffee mug.

No, Lump, if it was just as trivial as you describe it wouldn't have been worth a Nobel Prize.

If you give someone a coffee mug and then IMMEDIATELY make them pay to keep it - they will pay MORE than if you offer them a coffee mug for sale.

If you allow people to exchange trivially without transaction costs, people are far less likely to exchange goods they received IMMEDIATELY before being offered an exchange.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Garbage dumps are full of bones from chickens or pork chops and whatever. Yet they support stable dog populations. So why are your dogs so dumb?

And sure wild dogs have higher mortality rates but a lot of that is puppies or young animals - just like pre modern humans.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Can I hear more details about this Disney timeshare? I have several Disney fanatic friends and this seems like something quite a few would fall for

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Drunk Tomato posted:

Can I hear more details about this Disney timeshare? I have several Disney fanatic friends and this seems like something quite a few would fall for

We haven't yet extracted their monthly premium, but it is called "Disney vacation club" or something. More news as it breaks.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Known Lecher posted:

~$300/month combined on cell phones/internet/cable.

I swear people go full retard whenever they see "subsided" phones. No, a $500 subsidy for the phone isn't worth the extra $40/month on a 2 year contract over contractless, you idiot.

And no, nobody cares about your new shiny iPhone X either after your first 30 seconds of showing it off.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

cowofwar posted:

Garbage dumps are full of bones from chickens or pork chops and whatever. Yet they support stable dog populations. So why are your dogs so dumb?

And sure wild dogs have higher mortality rates but a lot of that is puppies or young animals - just like pre modern humans.

Stable dog populations just means that they’re making new dogs fast enough to make up for the ones that die.

And pork bones are fine, dumbass. It’s bird bones that can cause bowel perforations because they’re hollow and can splinter much worse than solid bones.

Do you just not know anything about dogs other than that they exist? Or animals in general? Animals eat poo poo that kills them all the time, even in the wild.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Drunk Tomato posted:

You buy "points" that can be exchanged for stays at timeshare style resorts on property. How much stays cost vary a lot based on resort, room choice, and timing (google "DVC Points chart" if you're curious). You pay annual dues based on the number of points you have. It's marginally more flexible than your average timeshare, I think, and Disney gives you some perks. It's a shitton of money and only even sort of makes financial sense if you were planning on staying at the nicest tier of on-property hotels every single year anyway. There is a fairly robust resale market, but the ability to get out easily isn't really a reason to buy in.

Also, as a Disney fanatic, I can tell you that if your friends like the parks, they 100% know about DVC. They have people hawking the program at each of the parks. The perks for sitting through the presentation is a bit poo poo though (I think it's just a fastpass, which will not save you anywhere near the amount of time it takes to sit through a timeshare presentation).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm delighted by each of these derails.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My grandpa has about ten different timeshares. I do not envy my mom having to sort through that in the relatively near future.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Y'all need to watch the Always Sunny episode Mac and Dennis Buy a Timeshare. It's also got Charlie and Dee getting sucked into an MLM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQlPsZmx8l0

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I really appreciate the Disney derail. My parents have been going there now in their 50s after not ever doing so before, and my dad has a tendency to be BWM (the number of gimmicky kitchen items he's bought from poo poo like HSN is absurd, for starters) and I could see them being hooked on a sales presentation enough to buy into a timeshare.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

brugroffil posted:

My grandpa has about ten different timeshares. I do not envy my mom having to sort through that in the relatively near future.

Christ, that’s like half a million pissed away.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
old people who are about to die anyway can't be bwm by definition really

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The best possible outcome there is the timeshares dying with grandpa.

Everything I've heard about trying to get rid of a timeshare still attached to you sounds utterly horrible, since there's way more people trying to get rid of the things than interested buyers. Sometimes you can't even give them away, and the timeshare companies can make dealing with them a pain in the rear end:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196394 posted:

Do NOT consider purchasing a timeshare. After my father retired, my parents bought five timeshares over the years (two Pueblo Bonito timeshares in Mexico, one at Wapato Point in E. WA, one Wyndham timeshare in Branson, MO and one Wyndham timeshare in SF). As a family we enjoyed some vacations at the Wapato unit as it was only 2.5 hours of where most of us lived. They never used the Branson timeshare and tried unsuccessfully to sell it several times. My parents enjoyed a few years of using the Mexico units (one in Cabo and one in Mazatlan) until my father passed away 7 years ago. My mother continued to use the Cabo unit, but not the others, but continued to pay maintenance fees until she passed away two years ago. She did do some trading of points through Wyndham and RCI to extend her time in Cabo and do a couple of cruises, but I believe she had to pay additional $ even to do that. I was the PR for her estate and had to deal with trying to get rid of the timeshares. My siblings and I were not interested in them (one of my sisters spends 3 months a year at her timeshares in Cabo already that she ended up purchasing by attending those presentations while staying with my Mom in her Cabo unit).

Being responsible for handling my mother's estate, I investigated trying to sell the units, but quickly learned how difficult it is to sell timeshares on the secondary market. I tried to give them away, but no one was interested. So, I contacted the timeshare agencies to return the units. The Wapato unit was easy to return due to death and probate in same state (WA). The Mexico units took lots of phone calls and emails, but both were finally returned at no cost to the estate. The two Wyndham timeshares were the most difficult. They consistently provided bad information, would lose legal documents that I sent, didn't return phone calls or respond to emails. I was constantly transferred between departments. I finally got in touch with someone that was willing to help me at Wyndham and after several false starts due to bad information they were provided by their own company, I ended up going through a probate process in both states to return the units. I had to use and pay for attorney services in both states to get this done, meanwhile having to pay an additional year of maintenance fees. I burned a lot of hours and had many sleepless nights in fear of not being able to unload these two units. It took me over a year to get rid of all the timeshares. I could not close out the estate and disburse inheritance $ until I could prove the title for the units were out of my mother's name. My parents were middle class and unfortunately were an easy target for these companies. They paid full price for each of the timeshares and upgraded the Mexico units several times paying additional $. I was so sad to see how much money they spent on the units while going through the paperwork and documents. They were definitely taken advantage of by these timeshare companies. I know that my parents would have been saddened to see the time, energy and heartache I went through to get rid of these units.

Please think about the long term consequences of buying a timeshare. They are boat anchors.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I will admit that sometimes when I am drunk I consider buying a timeshare. But more than one? JESUS!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The interest rates on financing a timeshare are pretty insane too, like 25% for a $19,000 timeshare in Vegas.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

HFX posted:

That's kind of amazing. John Cena should have enough money from his wrestling to have invested it where he is pulling millions for the rest of his life.

Honestly he probably realized he's never home to use any of this poo poo, and hasn't got that many big wrestling paydays left. He's 40 years old, is about to get married, and has had several career-threatening injuries.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is starring in crappy kids comedies still an option for ageing wrestlers?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Inescapable Duck posted:

Is starring in crappy kids comedies still an option for ageing wrestlers?

He's been guesting on TV shows and showing up in movies for a while now, I suspect he can carry on doing that until he's ready to retire. Especially the voice acting work.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

cowofwar posted:

Christ, that’s like half a million pissed away.

They've used the hell out of them over the years, at least, and now I'm getting a free week in Colorado next summer out of it. Still, timeshares are always bwm.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

brugroffil posted:

They've used the hell out of them over the years, at least, and now I'm getting a free week in Colorado next summer out of it. Still, timeshares are always bwm.

Ooooh, timeshares.

Friends of ours came down to visit and stayed at the local hilton at a great rate, but there was a catch -- they had to go to a presentation by the 'hilton grand vacations' company. They came down insisting that they would never buy a timeshare, it doesn't make sense, etc etc.

They showed up an hour late for dinner, as the proud new owners of a timeshare!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I have one of my many pocket notebooks somewhere with a page and a half of notes I took during a timeshare presentation I attended for free airfare (turns out the airfare was worthless). The notes all point out all the lies, contradictions, and half-truths used during the presentation. Maybe I'll dig it up.

One of the tricks they used is to say if you bring in a credit card or check with last 4 digits matching their special number you would win something bonus. I wrote a program that calculates out all the possible valid last 4 digits for a credit card and determined it was likely that they would pick one of the combinations that wasn't a valid card number. I checked later and supposedly they used a valid combo but I actually think it's more likely my code was wrong.

After the presentation they sit you down with one of their reps to try to sell you on it. The woman explained to me how she drives 3 hours south down here to pitch these presentations and all these sacrifices she makes to do it. I remember feeling sorry for her, not in a, "Oh how terrible let me help support you" sort of way. More like, "Why would you do this to yourself?" I think I pointed out how that seemed like an unwise decision given the costs involved. By the end of the whole ordeal they were pretty happy to be rid of me.

Before anybody gets on my case about the time wasted, this was a few years ago before I really had my career poo poo together and wasting time being annoying at a timeshare presentation was much less BWM than if I felt like doing it these days. Hopefully this isn't too self-post but I figured talking about experiences related to the timeshare infrastructure is sufficiently on-topic.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 4, 2017

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Panfilo posted:

The interest rates on financing a timeshare are pretty insane too, like 25% for a $19,000 timeshare in Vegas.

It's essentially unsecured debt (maybe literally; I have never looked at one of these contracts). 25% is a little steep but these are probably through a finance company and most likely don't have very strict credit requirements. If you shop for the loan it looks like you can get into typical unsecured debt territory of between 8 and 15%.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hoodwinker posted:

I have one of my many pocket notebooks somewhere with a page and a half of notes I took during a timeshare presentation I attended for free airfare (turns out the airfare was worthless). The notes all point out all the lies, contradictions, and half-truths used during the presentation. Maybe I'll dig it up.

One of the tricks they used is to say if you bring in a credit card or check with last 4 digits matching their special number you would win something bonus. I wrote a program that calculates out all the possible valid last 4 digits for a credit card and determined it was likely that they would pick one of the combinations that wasn't a valid card number. I checked later and supposedly they used a valid combo but I actually think it's more likely my code was wrong.

After the presentation they sit you down with one of their reps to try to sell you on it. The woman explained to me how she drives 3 hours south down here to pitch these presentations and all these sacrifices she makes to do it. I remember feeling sorry for her, not in a, "Oh how terrible let me help support you" sort of way. More like, "Why would you do this to yourself?" I think I pointed out how that seemed like an unwise decision given the costs involved. By the end of the whole ordeal they were pretty happy to be rid of me.

Before anybody gets on my case about the time wasted, this was a few years ago before I really had my career poo poo together and wasting time being annoying at a timeshare presentation was much less BWM than if I felt like doing it these days. Hopefully this isn't too self-post but I figured talking about experiences related to the timeshare infrastructure is sufficiently on-topic.
What happens if you are willing to be a real rear end in a top hat and calls them out on their lies? They kick you out? You still keep the incentive? What?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

John Smith posted:

What happens if you are willing to be a real rear end in a top hat and calls them out on their lies? They kick you out? You still keep the incentive? What?

There's a story in, I think, The Dark Side of Disney (though I might be misremembering where I got this from) about how the author agreed to go to a talk about timeshares in exchange for free park passes for the day. They got driven out to some craphole in the Florida swampland, listened to a pitch for a while, then got increasingly browbeaten and yelled at by the salesman and his boss until they finally threw the passes at them and left them to make their own way back to the resort, so they had to get a cab which took ages and they'd lost half the day. So I imagine if you call them on their bullshit during the presentation something similar would happen.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

There's a story in, I think, The Dark Side of Disney (though I might be misremembering where I got this from) about how the author agreed to go to a talk about timeshares in exchange for free park passes for the day. They got driven out to some craphole in the Florida swampland, listened to a pitch for a while, then got increasingly browbeaten and yelled at by the salesman and his boss until they finally threw the passes at them and left them to make their own way back to the resort, so they had to get a cab which took ages and they'd lost half the day. So I imagine if you call them on their bullshit during the presentation something similar would happen.
They absolutely know when you're going to be a pain in the rear end and shuffle you out ASAP. We weren't kept long.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Hoodwinker posted:

They absolutely know when you're going to be a pain in the rear end and shuffle you out ASAP. We weren't kept long.

Everyone in the process is either aware it’s a scam or a true believer.

The scammers try to get as many butts in seats as possible even if they know most there will see through the scam, because they only need to convert a few percent to make a profit (or else their bosses pay by the head, so they get paid regardless, and for the same reason as above). If someone is disruptive they’ll just shuffle them out to avoid poisoning the rest of the crowd. There was that story of the cruise couple took a random van to a timeshare talk to get out of the rain, a ride offer that started at $50 each and got down to free by the time the skies opened up and they took the offer. Margins on time share talks must be huge.

True believers are rarer, but will probably follow the same playbook.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
My sister in law is taking the steps to be some sort of Disney travel planner that sounds very much like a MLM gig. I've tried searching on it some but I can never remember the "job" / BWM title she calls it.

She's also the one of the family that is ALWAYS selling Lularoe and trying to get my wife to join.

There's always at least one in the family right?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Did you know for these MLM "parties" they don't even have the decency to come to your home and ply you with food and alcohol anymore? They try to do this poo poo via Facebook. I had a friend of a friend ask me to "host" one of these Jamberry (the nail polish decal bullshit) "parties" via some Facebook live or messenger thing. As if they weren't enough of a crock of poo poo to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I was curious what all this costs, so I went to the DVC website. To get 6-12 nights on average using the flexible schedule it's $30,000 purchase price, $678 in "closing costs", and $108/month in fees which go up 3-6%/year. Financing shows no APR, just that for 120 months it's ~$400 a month with excellent credit on 10% down.

So for $1282+/year in forever prices, plus $4,800/year for 10 years you too can hopefully spend 6 nights in a Disney hotel. I assume plus park admission, food, & beverage?

Or, for $6,000/year you could take multi-week vacations to anywhere not Disney. I guess if this is all you do for 30 years it's cheaper? It seems like a sad way to live.

The sales commission on this, especially if financed, must be like $10k.

Edit: In the source for the page: {"Excellent":"9.99","Good":"12.0","Fair":"14.5"}

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 4, 2017