Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

I've come around to the perspective that Scalia remains much worse than Gorsuch, simply because Gorsuch is so openly incompetent and unlikeable that his effect will be more limited.

vvv yeah, tell me about it...

Scalia was thought to have been such a complete rear end in a top hat that he pushed O'Connor significantly to the left. I dunno if he can match that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Scalia was also personable enough that he and ginsburg were best friends. No one likes gorsuch.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Scalia was also personable enough that he and ginsburg were best friends. No one likes gorsuch.

Breyer went out of his way to (subtly) mock Gorsuch during the Oil States argument.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/alexazura/status/937699324800262144

Can anyone explain what this ruling actually means? I can’t tell if the Texas court ruled that Houston cannot provide benefits to same sex spouses, or if it just isn’t constitutionally required to.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
My reading is the latter; more specifically that Houston can grant them all the rights and benefits it wants to, but the state is under no obligation to uphold them, which is the issue at hand; Houston wanted to provide same sex partners of state employees the same rights as hetero couples, and the state refused to do so.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/alexazura/status/937699324800262144

Can anyone explain what this ruling actually means? I can’t tell if the Texas court ruled that Houston cannot provide benefits to same sex spouses, or if it just isn’t constitutionally required to.

Neither. It ruled that a particular remand order sending the case back to the trial court was badly worded, and then sent it back to the trial court to decide whether Houston was constitutionally required to do so in light of Obergefell.

Now, it did so in a way that said that Obergefell hadn’t decided the issue (which is true in only the most technical sense), but it didn’t actually rule on the question.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kalman posted:

Neither. It ruled that a particular remand order sending the case back to the trial court was badly worded, and then sent it back to the trial court to decide whether Houston was constitutionally required to do so in light of Obergefell.

Now, it did so in a way that said that Obergefell hadn’t decided the issue (which is true in only the most technical sense), but it didn’t actually rule on the question.

And that Obergefell statement really should be read as a "please please handle this case in the most airtight manner possible and blame the SCOTUS so we don't get primaried" plea from the Texas Supreme Court judges to the lower court.

I seem to recall it initially looked like they were going to let the dismissal stand but the fundies got really worked up over the "technically it didn't say exactly X" thing while murmuring that they might have to find judges that understand that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m seeing a report that Kennedy appears sympathetic to the bakery in that case heard this morning? This case should be clear cut.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m seeing a report that Kennedy appears sympathetic to the bakery in that case heard this morning? This case should be clear cut.

Milsner from ThinkProgress said the pro equality side gave a poor showing at oral arguments.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

That would be pretty terrible and would gently caress up public accommodations statutes big time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

Milsner from ThinkProgress said the pro equality side gave a poor showing at oral arguments.
Great. Just what we need.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This thread has talked a lot about preserving the respectability and sacred aura of the Supreme Court. If the court legalizes clear-cut discrimination, it doesn't matter what else they do, that's done.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

dont even fink about it posted:

This thread has talked a lot about preserving the respectability and sacred aura of the Supreme Court. If the court legalizes clear-cut discrimination, it doesn't matter what else they do, that's done.

This is a bad take.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

So... Since 1944 then, if not well before?

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

You're right, I sure hope Justice Taney does the right thing in that whole Dred Scott affair.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Armack posted:

You're right, I sure hope Justice Taney does the right thing in that whole Dred Scott affair.

Oh is that the same Taney who just had his statue knocked down? Yeah.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

So... Since 1944 then, if not well before?

1857 at least.

Probably 1787 tho, the US Supreme Court government has always been trash.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Silver2195 posted:

This is a bad take.

If you don't think religious discrimination based on race is going to end up in the courts if the bakery wins this lawsuit you have an unacceptably positive view of the right wing in the US.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I mean, it's totally obvious that the Supreme Court, like the presidency, has never been an unmitigated ally to minorities, but this ain't exactly 1830 either. Nobody sat down and shut the gently caress up after corporations were declared people, and that's really nothing next to "actually gays don't have rights after all!"

Besides, as a bonus, if corporations are people, that means they can be killed.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm guessing the distinction that would be made is celebration of a particular event vs general status of the person. That is, you could have decision be that a bakery can't discriminate against 2 guys holding hands walking into the shop and wanting a donut, but can refuse to make a cake for their wedding. Tangentially, the custom-making of the thing is also being pointed to as a distinction.

This would probably be what is making people most afraid:

Kennedy posted:

"Tolerance is essential in a free society," he told the lawyer, "and tolerance is most meaningful when it's mutual. It seems to me that the state in its position here has been neither tolerant nor respectful of Mr. Phillips' religious beliefs."

If Kennedy views this as a balance between religious practice/ free speech and sex discrimination he'll most likely come down on the side of the bakers and write the majority with a narrow ruling that allows for religious exemption in very specific cases.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

I mean, it's totally obvious that the Supreme Court, like the presidency, has never been an unmitigated ally to minorities, but this ain't exactly 1830 either. Nobody sat down and shut the gently caress up after corporations were declared people, and that's really nothing next to "actually gays don't have rights after all!"

Like do you even have a loving clue what personhood means in a court of law? I'll take a wild stab and say no.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you don't think religious discrimination based on race is going to end up in the courts if the bakery wins this lawsuit you have an unacceptably positive view of the right wing in the US.

It’s going to end up in courts but it’s not going to go very far.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tsa posted:

Like do you even have a loving clue what personhood means in a court of law? I'll take a wild stab and say no.

Originally it was a legal fiction that meant the corporation can be named as a defendant rather than requiring plaintiffs to sue officers in their official capacity and prove that they deliberately ordered the actions that led to the suit or else the plaintiffs have to sue some low-level grunt who doesn't have the money to pay out.

Now it's used by analogy to award corporations more rights than people including absurd ones like the right to bribe politicians speak using wheelbarrows full of cash to get legislation that they want until legislation they want just happens to pass without any causal relationship to the money they gave to the politicians who wrote it.

Also apparently legal fictions can somehow have religious beliefs and get the right to religious accommodations if those beliefs are shared by 5 old dudes on the Supreme Court, otherwise no

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 6, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

tsa posted:

This would probably be what is making people most afraid:

If Kennedy views this as a balance between religious practice/ free speech and sex discrimination he'll most likely come down on the side of the bakers and write the majority with a narrow ruling that allows for religious exemption in very specific cases.
I was reading the SCOTUSBlog coverage, and I feel like this might be a different case if one of the members of the Colorado Civil Rights Commission hadn't written a statement barely this side of, "religion is a cancer."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

I was reading the SCOTUSBlog coverage, and I feel like this might be a different case if one of the members of the Colorado Civil Rights Commission hadn't written a statement barely this side of, "religion is a cancer."
I love how that makes Kennedy upset, but Hobby Lobby previously offering contraception coverage for female employees until they conveniently decided to sign onto this Obamacare lawsuit is perfectly A-OK.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Eh that's not an accurate description at all, they may not have been PC enough in their wording for the fragile snowflakes out there, but the point the CCRC dude made was "religious beliefs have been used to justify unjust discrimination in the past, therefore 'it is my religious belief' alone isn't enough to require accommodation and you have to look at what the results would be (in this case legalized discrimination)" and not "religion is a cancer that must be burned with radiation and cut out of society".

Also it was just one member of the CCRC, the statement wasn't endorsed by the rest of the commission, it didn't factor into the other members' decision, etc but whatever that's just boring facts.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 6, 2017

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Corporate personhood exists so you can do business with a corporation as a single entity, instead of having to sign thousands of contracts with the many, many people who work there (and likewise, so it can be taxed as a single entity). It doesn't mean a corporation is literally a person, which you would know if you spent about 30 seconds googling about it instead of raging against the machine.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

there are certain ways in which extending constitutional rights to the corporate entity is the simplest way of protecting the rights of the actual holders of the rights, the owners of the company. for example, giving the company rights against arbitrary seizure of property protects the owners of the company whose property is indirectly being seized. while people who rant against corporate personhood generally aren't aware of the legal differences between that (the corporation is a person for the purposes of constitutional rights) and the actual meaning of corporate personhood but its important to not just get dragged into arguments over legal terminology

that said, the supreme court frequently loses track of that distinction, and the distinction that you do not have an unfettered right to conduct your affairs through a corporation rather than individually. that a for-profit corporation does not have religious beliefs and you do not have a right to conduct for-profit activities through a corporate entity while also claiming religious exemptions is the paradigmatic example of this, because the conservatives are insane.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 6, 2017

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

evilweasel posted:

while people who rant against corporate personhood generally aren't aware of the legal differences between that (the corporation is a person for the purposes of constitutional rights) and the actual meaning of corporate personhood but its important to not just get dragged into arguments over legal terminology
We're in the Debate & Discussion forum in the thread specifically about the Supreme Court of the United States of America, so the legal terminology of corporate personhood seems highly relevant.

Also refusing to capitalize your posts while simultaneously using double spaces to separate your sentences is very dumb.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

twodot posted:

We're in the Debate & Discussion forum in the thread specifically about the Supreme Court of the United States of America, so the legal terminology of corporate personhood seems highly relevant.

Also refusing to capitalize your posts while simultaneously using double spaces to separate your sentences is very dumb.

:lol: getting upset about double spaces.

EW is right.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

twodot posted:

double spaces is correct in that i am much more likely to have someone senior to me consider one space wrong than i am to have someone senior to me consider two spaces wrong, and since ultimately it conveys no grammatical meaning and following one rule or the other serves only to avoid jarring the reader with something that appears to be a typo it is much more important to follow the common practice than to follow what someone outside my profession considers correct

also if you can't distinguish between terms used in their legal meaning vs. their colloquial meaning and avoid getting tripped up in meaningless debates over the difference you are either a bad lawyer or angling for a supreme court seat from a republican president or both

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I was basically making a joke with regards to "killing corporations"; I forgot for a moment that the SCOTUS thread is the residence in D&D for under-employed lawyers who can't wait to let you know as much.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

evilweasel posted:

double spaces is correct in that i am much more likely to have someone senior to me consider one space wrong than i am to have someone senior to me consider two spaces wrong, and since ultimately it conveys no grammatical meaning and following one rule or the other serves only to avoid jarring the reader with something that appears to be a typo it is much more important to follow the common practice than to follow what someone outside my profession considers correct
Is it much more likely for someone senior to you consider capitalizing words wrong? I don't generally care about grammar, but you're optimizing in a really stupid fashion.

quote:

also if you can't distinguish between terms used in their legal meaning vs. their colloquial meaning and avoid getting tripped up in meaningless debates over the difference you are either a bad lawyer or angling for a supreme court seat from a republican president or both

Nobody sat down and shut the gently caress up after corporations were declared people
This is very clearly using a legal meaning. This is not a person talking about the day Michael Scott walked out of his office and shouted "corporations are people".

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

twodot posted:

This is very clearly using a legal meaning. This is not a person talking about the day Michael Scott walked out of his office and shouted "corporations are people".

Yeah but when people use it now, especially in relation to the Supreme Court, they are referring to the new legal meaning, the meaning people have a problem with, not the old legal meaning, which people generally did not.

Context actually matters.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

twodot posted:

Is it much more likely for someone senior to you consider capitalizing words wrong? I don't generally care about grammar, but you're optimizing in a really stupid fashion.

using two spaces is habit, one i am unlikely to change between posting on the internet and writing irl things, while I may get lazy or inconsistent with capitalization.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

evilweasel posted:

using two spaces is habit, one i am unlikely to change between posting on the internet and writing irl things, while I may get lazy or inconsistent with capitalization.

Same. Only time i'm single space is on my phone, and when i'm phone posting i'll rarely capitalize because :effort:

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah but when people use it now, especially in relation to the Supreme Court, they are referring to the new legal meaning, the meaning people have a problem with, not the old legal meaning, which people generally did not.

Context actually matters.
Agreed, my objection was to the person objecting to arguments over legal terminology in the Supreme Court of the United States of America thread. (and also to adhering to arbitrary standards like double spaces after sentences, while not adhering to arbitrary standards like capitalizing words)

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I always use two spaces because writing and typing instructors at various levels of my education have drilled it into me and I won't change no matter how many times goony D&Ders tell me that it's "wrong" now because people don't use type writers anymore. So stop doing that you fucks.

That said I single space when writing posts from my iPad (like this one) because if you make two spaces on an iPad you get a period and one space and that's very handy.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There is no new legal meaning to corporate personhood. There's the same meaning there always has been, and the one dumb people have in their heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ugh its Troika posted:

and the one dumb people have in their heads.

This wouldn't be a problem if 5 of those people weren't Supreme Court justices.