Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Because it'd make no sense.
It would be better than the movie. C-22 is pretty episodic, it would translate to TV fantastically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It would be better than the movie. C-22 is pretty episodic, it would translate to TV fantastically.

Not wanting to kill Nazis is a harder sell than not wanting to kill North Korean though.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's insane to me, given MASH's popularity, that none of the streaming services have done a Catch-22 series.

At the risk of me missing a joke, they are making one like right now:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2017-11-17/george-clooney-returning-to-tv-in-catch-22-adaptation/

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

but unfortunately, Lloyd Webber was chums with Steve Harley of Cockney Rebel at the time and cast him as the Phantom, which doesn't quite work, as you'll hear if you watch the video. Michael Crawford he is not.

Ironically he sounds more like Frank Spencer (Michael Crawford's break out role) in this than Michael Crawford does

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Adding my voice to the "watch 'Phantom of the Paradise'" crew. Movie is awesome. One of these days I'm gonna make a halloween costume.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's basically no way to do justice to the novel's overlapping out of order flashback format in TV, and without it I think you'd be missing out on a decent amount of the novel's impact. You can get away with more in a streaming format and Netflix has been gently pushing the envelope with experimental episodes, but nothing like what Catch-22 would require.

Probably the closest you could do would be to have a few flashback/flashforward jumps in order to preserve the biggest reveals, but the effect wouldn't really be the same and you'd still be confusing 70% of the audience.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Dec 1, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Straight White Shark posted:

There's basically no way to do justice to the novel's overlapping out of order flashback format in TV, and without it I think you'd be missing out on a decent amount of the novel's impact. You can get away with more in a streaming format and Netflix has been gently pushing the envelope with experimental episodes, but nothing like what Catch-22 would require.

Make a hundred micro-episodes of about 10 minutes each in a playlist, then make the only way to watch said playlist be on Shuffle.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

Make a hundred micro-episodes of about 10 minutes each in a playlist, then make the only way to watch said playlist be on Shuffle.

also the shuffle setting does not preclude repeats

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Adding my voice to the "watch 'Phantom of the Paradise'" crew. Movie is awesome. One of these days I'm gonna make a halloween costume.

Comic version took some weird liberties:

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's insane to me, given MASH's popularity, that none of the streaming services have done a Catch-22 series.

I have some bad news for you, FAU. :(

edit: crap I should have refreshed. How long did I have this tab open?

edit 2: to pivot off Altman's son adding lyrics to "Suicide is Painless" and getting huge royalties, Gene Roddenberry also added his own lyics to Alexander Courage's Star Trek theme, to be a dick and claim credit as co-writer, and make money off it.

Mister Mind has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Dec 1, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

No poo poo? That owns.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I haven't read the book but this sounds a lot like what Netflix already did for Arrested Development Season 4.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Solice Kirsk posted:

Comic version took some weird liberties:

Miura is legit a huge fan of that movie and has straight-up said he based Griffith's armor on the Phantom's getup

e: also, yeah, TV actually makes that a lot easier since you have between-episode breaks as natural stopping and starting points. You can just do one episode for one story, then another for another, etc. sort of like what the book does with its chapters.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not a TV episode that didn't age well, but this week's South Park was about Kyle realizing the comedy of his heroes Terrance and Philip didn't age well.

That's interesting, because "Not Without My Anus" is more or less the only episode I still think is funny

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I've been watching MASH reruns in the evening lately and I think it holds up pretty well. The treatment of women not as much, but that gets toned down more after S4 or so.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Mister Mind posted:

edit 2: to pivot off Altman's son adding lyrics to "Suicide is Painless" and getting huge royalties, Gene Roddenberry also added his own lyics to Alexander Courage's Star Trek theme, to be a dick and claim credit as co-writer, and make money off it.

This is actually an old Hollywood gimmick to give more money to show creators. The theme to Bonanza or I Dream of Jeanie also had lyrics written for them but not used in the intros.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Achernar posted:

This is actually an old Hollywood gimmick to give more money to show creators. The theme to Bonanza or I Dream of Jeanie also had lyrics written for them but not used in the intros.

Same with Star Trek.

Gene Roddenberry posted:

Beyond
The rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand’ring in star-flight
I know
He’ll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His STAR TREK
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me.

Gene Roddenberry was a bit of a tool. (And a perv, which is nicely alluded to in these very lyrics)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The lyrics are ok but sung to the theme song it just doesn’t conjure up images of Kirk because Kirks sole purpose was to do it with as many sexy space broads as possible

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Achernar posted:

I'm pretty sure the lyrics for Suicide is Painless were used in the film. When the story was adapted for TV, they got cut. It's kind of a different situation since when that song was written the MASH tv show was a ways off

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'm pretty sure the lyrics for Suicide is Painless were used in the film. When the story was adapted for TV, they got cut. It's kind of a different situation since when that song was written the MASH tv show was a ways off

It had to be a royalties issue not using the lyrics. The show hasn't been off the air since day one and that would have cost a small fortune.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Kingdom posted:

It had to be a royalties issue not using the lyrics. The show hasn't been off the air since day one and that would have cost a small fortune.

Would a prime time TV show in the 70s have been allowed to have a theme song extolling the benefits of suicide? Hell, would it now?

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE3OBiFflHI

I do like the Andy Griffith Show theme with lyrics (sung by Andy Griffith!)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

oldpainless posted:

The lyrics are ok but sung to the theme song it just doesn’t conjure up images of Kirk because Kirks sole purpose was to do it with as many sexy space broads as possible

this is a good example of how star trek has aged weirdly in the public consciousness

the brash womanizer kirk is a myth!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Jazerus posted:

this is a good example of how star trek has aged weirdly in the public consciousness

the brash womanizer kirk is a myth!

Yeah, it's crazy, you go back and actually watch TOS, and Spock gets more ladies throwing themselves at him than Kirk ever does.

And on top of that, the stereotypical SHATNER...pausing...DRAMATically style is not at all present. Comedians started doing that in the 80s and 90s and Shatner himself picked up on it because he has no problem with making himself a joke and a character. Don't get me wrong, there are certainly plenty of Star Trek scenes where he's hamming it up and overacting to the extreme, but that weird pause and emphasize thing that's the stereotype for impressions of him is nowhere to be seen.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Choco1980 posted:

And on top of that, the stereotypical SHATNER...pausing...DRAMATically style is not at all present.

Bullshit.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKvuZFukjuk

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

And on top of that, the stereotypical SHATNER...pausing...DRAMATically style is not at all present. Comedians started doing that in the 80s and 90s and Shatner himself picked up on it because he has no problem with making himself a joke and a character. Don't get me wrong, there are certainly plenty of Star Trek scenes where he's hamming it up and overacting to the extreme, but that weird pause and emphasize thing that's the stereotype for impressions of him is nowhere to be seen.

Well this didn't help, 1978:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXSWx5Q2XCo

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
the man is a talented artist, what of it?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, it's crazy, you go back and actually watch TOS, and Spock gets more ladies throwing themselves at him than Kirk ever does. .

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pBqY5ECU4

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

There's a Twitter account that documents the questionable 2000's fashion choices of Charmed: https://twitter.com/charmedoutfits?s=09

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

grittyreboot posted:

There's a Twitter account that documents the questionable 2000's fashion choices of Charmed: https://twitter.com/charmedoutfits?s=09

One TV at work is always showing Charmed at like 3 or 4 in the morning, muted thankfully. It's utterly fascinating how dated that show is.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Did anyone ever actually watch Charmed with the sound on?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Shatner/Kirk get closer to their stereotype around season 3, but yeah, it's a bit overstated.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Achernar posted:

And it is GLORIOUS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bczfyoafHBk

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

married but discreet posted:

I'm pretty sure the network it was on (the WB? It was one of the channels that was merged to create the CW afaik) got to the point where it based its advertising for the show around the clothes the characters would be wearing that week.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

That twitter account made me look up Kaley Cuoco's imdb page and she has never been in anything good. Every thing she has starred in has been trash.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

married but discreet posted:

:colbert:

grittyreboot posted:

This, on the other hand, is amazing.

Zamboni Rodeo has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Dec 4, 2017

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

food court bailiff posted:

I haven't read the book but this sounds a lot like what Netflix already did for Arrested Development Season 4.

The key difference is that Catch-22 is mostly a single POV. When it repeats a scene you're not getting a new perspective on events, except in that your own perspective has subtly changed as you've learned more about the timeline. Also, from what I recall each episode of Arrested Development on Netflix stuck to its own internal chronology and loosely spanned the same stretch of time, there wasn't switching back and forth.

I mean, yeah, ultimately I'm probably overstating the difficulties of translating the book to TV, and I'm sure someone clever enough could come up with a decent approximation. It's definitely not a trivial task, though.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Dec 5, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The key difference is that Catch-22 is mostly a single POV. When it repeats a scene you're not getting a new perspective on events, except in that your own perspective has subtly changed as you've learned more about the timeline. Also, from what I recall each episode of Arrested Development on Netflix stuck to its own internal chronology and loosely spanned the same stretch of time, there wasn't switching back and forth.

I mean, yeah, ultimately I'm probably overstating the difficulties of translating the book to TV, and I'm sure someone clever enough could come up with a decent approximation. It's definitely not a trivial task, though.

Unless I'm mistaken I thought Catch-22 was a bunch of different POVs and they just intertwine with each other at different times. It's gonna be interesting to see how they deal with the heavier stuff though. I'm looking forward to it. Maybe if it goes well they'll make a Closing Time show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Or maybe they'll just make a version of Catch-22 that's completely linear, uses 3 cameras, and has a laugh track.

[Scene - tailgunner jumps from plane, pulls parachute rip cord, falls to death as a bunch of eggs go streaming out.]

"Oh, Milo!"

[Laughtrack]