Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It is fine that a game 5+ years old is gradually losing player base. It isn't the end of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

dota2 is probably heading towards csgo territory where the playerbase shrinks a bit but stays pretty consistent at some point, getting a nice bump when a new patch comes out. league also seems to have lost a decent amount of players so i guess everyone is just playing pubg now? idk.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I will say that it's really weird to be in a year where dota has the worse client and harder to get for free cosmetics than LoL (preempting shitstorm: I like and play both atm)

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Radical posted:

dota2 is probably heading towards csgo territory where the playerbase shrinks a bit but stays pretty consistent at some point, getting a nice bump when a new patch comes out. league also seems to have lost a decent amount of players so i guess everyone is just playing pubg now? idk.

I agree with this assessment and feel that a few hundred thousand active players will be more than enough to keep the game alive.

Maybe one day they'll give us a concede option and stop splitting party/solo MMR.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 4, 2017

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

I will say that it's really weird to be in a year where dota has the worse client and harder to get for free cosmetics than LoL (preempting shitstorm: I like and play both atm)
You have to actually buy heroes in LoL though, right? DOTA probably has to be more stingy with cosmetics to make up for the fact that every aspect of its gameplay is free.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You have to actually buy heroes in LoL though, right? DOTA probably has to be more stingy with cosmetics to make up for the fact that every aspect of its gameplay is free.

I obviously don't have Valve data on cosmetics sales but the problem is that they were significantly easier to find in the past, with the obvious consequence that whatever you got kind of "lured you in" and even non-whales were tempted to buy them. I never buy cosmetics in games but I got 4 different sets in 2014, as most of my friends did. Now it's more of a "gently caress you, buy my cosmetics" system that no one likes and it's really jarring because it wasn't like that before.

They also used to have design competitions for content creators that generated a lot of buzz and the coolest sets at the time. It'd be very easy to make those seasonal (say, one in spring and one in autumn) and, again, promote the pay2lookcool part of Dota. Note, by the way, that it's not an irrelevant part of the game because that little bit of progression/loot after a frustrating loss can make a big difference for some players.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yep, though that tends to get overblown a good bit; LoL design philosophy means that most heroes tend to be variants on the same basic role, and they have heroes for every role available at 450 IP (about 3-4 wins with first-win). At pro play tge heroes have enough differences that some can soft counter others, but at a casual level that's not a make-or-break aspect. A good example was mentioned recently about a player being really stupid for picking Sniper against a team filled with gapcloser heroes; that scenario can show up in LoL, but in that case it's more that the gapcloser hero will have an easier time fighting the slow 'sniper' hero, rather than "oh god half the team is instantly on my face I need to waddle faster gently caress I'm dead" at every fight.

Obviously that opens LoL up to criticisms of "every hero is the same+1 gimmick", but it does a good job making the game not feel pay2win for a casual player.

Also, for anyone curious on how free cosmetics work in LoL; you need a chest, a key, and essence. Chests drop randomly irregardless of score, keys are granted (max 5 per month or so) when you do well enough to S-rank a hero, and essence you get from discarding skins you dont want (the chest and key open a random skin that you get with enough essence, no skins are excluded from the chest).

It's contrived and Dota's old system was better, but it beats accumulating a treasure hoard of Pugna bracers.

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

Kawabata posted:

I obviously don't have Valve data on cosmetics sales but the problem is that they were significantly easier to find in the past, with the obvious consequence that whatever you got kind of "lured you in" and even non-whales were tempted to buy them. I never buy cosmetics in games but I got 4 different sets in 2014, as most of my friends did. Now it's more of a "gently caress you, buy my cosmetics" system that no one likes and it's really jarring because it wasn't like that before.

They also used to have design competitions for content creators that generated a lot of buzz and the coolest sets at the time. It'd be very easy to make those seasonal (say, one in spring and one in autumn) and, again, promote the pay2lookcool part of Dota. Note, by the way, that it's not an irrelevant part of the game because that little bit of progression/loot after a frustrating loss can make a big difference for some players.

I thought they still did competitions? They had themes for CNY, TI7, and Frostivus.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kawabata posted:

The other thing that Valve did which is sort of unfortunate is that they made dropped items untradeable. You used to be able to use the Steam Market to sell drops you didn't want and buy the sets or pieces you liked. Now, you get a drop once in a blue moon and you can't trade it, so it just sort of sits in your inventory, and you can't use it as seed money to buy some other cheap hat.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

making ti immortals untradeable for a year whilst i have 5 of those golden lifestealer hats and 3 brood ones is a dick move and that's why this game is dead

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

It is fine that a game 5+ years old is gradually losing player base. It isn't the end of the world.

excuse but league of legends has seventy BILLION players online each day and it triples each month???

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
jajajaja pendejos xd is my life now

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

ElGroucho posted:

jajajaja pendejos xd is my life now

I can’t play solo anymore because of this. All my games now are parties, almost always against a China or Quebec stack.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just had a game with some dude who thought he was the Tom Landry of dota.

"Hey guys, how about we have a guy who announces strategy?"
"No man, just help me in lane"

"Runes incoming, 10 seconds.... 2 men top... PL missing, oh no, nevermind, he's back.. stacking ancients"

"MOTHERFUCKER COME DENY CREEPS"

He did this running monologue all game, ended up like 2 -15 -6 on Skywraith

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

it is my pleasure to announce that there is actually zero reason to be playing dota 2 in late 2017

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Wangsbig posted:

it is my pleasure to announce that there is actually zero reason to be playing dota 2 in late 2017

Masochism is a valid reason to play DotA. Don't kinkshame

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wangsbig posted:

Oh thank god

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

There was a reason to play dota2?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
do you guys also still auto-buy dust for broodmother

because if it's any consolation I still buy it for phantom lancer

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
im at the exact same winrate and mmr as ive been since new mm but randomly got bumped up a star, lkol what

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Neon Belly posted:

There was a reason to play dota2?

Yes, to have fun.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

turboraton posted:

Yes, to have fun.

hots thread is in blizzard subforum

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

turboraton posted:

Yes, to have fun.

???

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Kawabata posted:

I love Dota! And no it's not fine at all, bleeding 15% of players over a year after a steady growth from 2012 to 2016 is not normal or a good sign, Valve knows it and players have been discussing this for a while now. Even the SA thread is dead as gently caress compared to last year.

What puzzles me is that gameplay wise Dota is the best it's ever been. Compared to 2 years ago more heroes are interesting/playable, the new additions look pretty good and the game now has excellent comeback mechanics that seem to be effective at preventing stomps provided the stomping players make mistakes/the losing team gets creative. It definitely wasn't like that once and I'm having tons of fun even in my placement matches.

The thing is, the qol improvements games like LoL have (concede button, encouraging you to make a team with different roles etc) are nowhere to be seen 5 years after the beta, cosmetics are the hardest they've ever been to get in Dota history (which is simply grotesque) and there's no carrot whatsoever for the hundreds of thousands of players that like carrots from time to time. New players will forever be stuck in the typical low bracket 4 carries team where everyone tilts after 15 minutes or you stomp the other guys because their picks are even worse. This is what their Dota 2 experience will be and Valve doesn't particularly care. The jokes on mobas being social experiments are kind of tired in 2017 and other games have successfully found ways to make that aspect less unpleasant than when the genre was still young.

I swear sometimes it feels like this game holds a grudge against its own players, especially if they're new.

Oh, I personally agree but some people in this thread get very mad when you back up your thoughts with evidence. It was 20% until the new patch turned it around, but it only corrected a single month of decreasing numbers so far.

As much as people like to say it's just the game being old, although that has some effect, it's a bit strange to say it's the real reason when DOTA 2 had been growing year after year before suddenly plumetting by 15-20% inside twelve months. So, I'd say it's more that 7.00 was divisive (which is probably the kindest way of putting it), that there are other games that sort of replicate the 'hardcore' experience (PUBG), and that Valve's history of treating DOTA 2 like a money pinata is catching up to them. HotS might suck but it feels like Blizzard wants you to play it. DOTA2 feels like Valve wants to shake you down. Like you say, Valve doesn't particularly care.

they outsourced loving frostivus to the custom games community ahahahah

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

gonna stream a few games https://www.twitch.tv/risquebarber

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

you just pressed stop streaming in front of me, making it an excellent troll to be honest but a very subpar viewing experience

EDIT: nvm you're up again but no audio

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Not that anyone here plays, but can we at least come together as people of good will and agree that adding LoL's concede button at any point in the game is a terrible idea and that the game should just end relatively quickly in lovely situations like when there are feeders, or someone can't reliably stay logged in, or you're demoralized and the enemy is extending the game to troll you/get achievements for their hats.

Might as well end the game after first blood or first tower the way every idiot evaluates the state of their own games. It's in captains draft for competition, which seems the only reasonable place for it.

It used to be hard to log in when games would end in 20 with heavy push or seemingly as often hit 70+ minutes because all these late game things weren't in. You had to have like two hours free to start a game, just in case, or risk being the rear end who leaves in the middle of a harrowing one hour game.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
counterpoint: these are videogames and not esports, and if you're not interested in a 50 minute comeback you should be allowed to do a "is it cool if we end here y/n" vote 20 minutes in rather than someone needing to offer up a blood sacrifice of LPQ-dom first

you never see surrenders in ranked mode in LoL, and in casual who cares if your team decides they're not having fun and concede

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Kawabata posted:

hots thread is in blizzard subforum

I always marvel at the diverse taste you first worlders acquire. How can a human being enjoy more Hots than Dota is beyond me. It is also beyond me how can you post pages and pages and pages of opinions about a game you no longer play.

Me? I'm a simple man, I read words about Dota, I get desire to play Dota. Then I boot this game called, you know, Dota. And mostly win and collect stars on my new badge.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 5, 2017

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

what weird mental gymnastics must you concede will ruin the game people do when the most successful game in the genre has had a concede button since inception and has not in fact been ruined by it at all

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Maybe no concede button, but how about a vote off the island button? I had three games yesterday where some idiots started feeding straight down mid.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

turboraton posted:

I always marvel at the diverse taste you first worlders acquire. How can a human being enjoy more Hots than Dota is beyond me. It is also beyond me how can you post pages and pages and pages of opinions about a game you no longer play is also beyond me.

Me? I'm a simple man, I read words about Dota, I get desire to play Dota. Then I boot this game called, you know, Dota. And mostly win and collect stars on my new badge.

hots is the perfect game for america in 2017. nothing you do matters and in the end the only person that gets anything out of it is th corporation

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Another big reason I think is that the report system is hosed and Valve doesn't seem to care about overhauling it because it meets some arbitrary internal metric.

They seem to make random unannounced changes to the sensitivity of reports so you'll go six months with not a single person you reported being punished and then a patch hits and suddenly you get 3 notifications in a day. People seem to figure it out over time and adjust their behavior accordingly. When you report game ruiners and get notifications back every 2 days saying someone has been punished, you feel like you're probably going to get punished too if you gently caress up. And if you haven't gotten any in six months, well....

(Disclaimer: Haven't gotten any kind of punishment in Dota in like a year)

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

ILL Machina posted:

Not that anyone here plays, but can we at least come together as people of good will and agree that adding LoL's concede button at any point in the game is a terrible idea and that the game should just end relatively quickly in lovely situations like when there are feeders, or someone can't reliably stay logged in, or you're demoralized and the enemy is extending the game to troll you/get achievements for their hats.

Might as well end the game after first blood or first tower the way every idiot evaluates the state of their own games. It's in captains draft for competition, which seems the only reasonable place for it.

It used to be hard to log in when games would end in 20 with heavy push or seemingly as often hit 70+ minutes because all these late game things weren't in. You had to have like two hours free to start a game, just in case, or risk being the rear end who leaves in the middle of a harrowing one hour game.

I think adding a concede button at 20 mins isn't blasphemy because even though the game now has a sort of comeback mechanism in place getting stomped hard at 20 mins (with feeders/leavers/demoralized players) isn't the same as at 8 mins. You're not coming back from that. And yeah I think the thought of wasting 20 more minutes of your life losing even harder is part of what's making people leave mobas in droves.

I agree that allowing people to concede at any point in the game would be weird and bad.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

turboraton posted:

I always marvel at the diverse taste you first worlders acquire. How can a human being enjoy more Hots than Dota is beyond me. It is also beyond me how can you post pages and pages and pages of opinions about a game you no longer play.

but I'm playing it again, where did you read I'm not playing it anymore

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like that there are people who think dota is good, and not just an addictive treadmill

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kawabata posted:

I love Dota! And no it's not fine at all, bleeding 15% of players over a year after a steady growth from 2012 to 2016 is not normal or a good sign, Valve knows it and players have been discussing this for a while now. Even the SA thread is dead as gently caress compared to last year.

What puzzles me is that gameplay wise Dota is the best it's ever been. Compared to 2 years ago more heroes are interesting/playable, the new additions look pretty good and the game now has excellent comeback mechanics that seem to be effective at preventing stomps provided the stomping players make mistakes/the losing team gets creative. It definitely wasn't like that once and I'm having tons of fun even in my placement matches.

The thing is, the qol improvements games like LoL have (concede button, encouraging you to make a team with different roles etc) are nowhere to be seen 5 years after the beta, cosmetics are the hardest they've ever been to get in Dota history (which is simply grotesque) and there's no carrot whatsoever for the hundreds of thousands of players that like carrots from time to time. New players will forever be stuck in the typical low bracket 4 carries team where everyone tilts after 15 minutes or you stomp the other guys because their picks are even worse. This is what their Dota 2 experience will be and Valve doesn't particularly care. The jokes on mobas being social experiments are kind of tired in 2017 and other games have successfully found ways to make that aspect less unpleasant than when the genre was still young.

I swear sometimes it feels like this game holds a grudge against its own players, especially if they're new.

Holy poo poo you couldn't be more wrong about everything. Concede button takes toxicity and amps it up to 1000. Take this from your grongards. The gameplay now is also complete poo poo unless you like super fast paced high APM, which is exactly what DotA wasn't when it started. It was the low APM alternative to wc3 ladder for people who don't click fast. There were like 5 heroes for people who liked APM, but they weren't impossible to play or necessarily anything more than niche heroes. All I do in games now is dread the stupid boring 15 minute farm fest it takes to get from level 11 to 25 and all of a sudden all 10 heroes have all the 6-slotted plus talent fuckery nightmares that only one or two heroes used to get and only in 60+ minute games. It takes all of the wind out of the build-up. And I'm not even talking about the haste mode or whatever it is.
It's no wonder its original base is long gone, they shot them in the face and stomped their corpse. Valve doesn't even make their own game modes anymore, pathetic for the money they make off of this.

JollyPubJerk fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 5, 2017

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

What if you could concede after losing two lanes of rax, instead of an arbitrary point in time?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Please IceToad never add concede button. Also if possible please lets goonhouse so I can teabag that Elgroucho guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

JollyPubJerk posted:

Holy poo poo you couldn't be more wrong about everything. Concede button takes toxicity and amps it up to 1000. Take this from your grongards. The gameplay now is also complete poo poo unless you like super fast paced high APM, which is exactly what DotA wasn't when it started. It was the low APM alternative to wc3 ladder for people who don't click fast. It's no wonder its original base is long gone, they shot them in the face and stomped their corpse. Valve doesn't even make their own game modes anymore, pathetic for the money they make off of this.

i think i still have a couple of your videos where you have a fedora on your head and you're screaming like a little girl at some goon in team with you while misplaying hard