Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
…there is an idea of a Wolf of Whistler, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there. It is hard for me to make sense on any given level. Myself is fabricated, an aberration. I am a noncontingent human being. My personality is sketchy and unformed, my heartlessness goes deep and is persistent. My conscience, my pity, my hopes disappeared a long time ago (probably at Harvard) if they ever did exist. There are no more barriers to cross. All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane, the vicious and the evil, all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it, I have now surpassed. I still, though, hold on to one single bleak truth: no one is safe, nothing is redeemed. Yet I am blameless. Each model of human behavior must be assumed to have some validity. Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do? My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape. But even after admitting this—and I have countless times, in just about every act I’ve committed—and coming face-to-face with these truths, there is no catharsis. I gain no deeper knowledge about myself, no new understanding can be extracted from my telling. There has been no reason for me to tell you any of this. This confession has meant nothing….

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
http://www.macleans.ca/economy/surprise-realtors-want-you-to-be-able-to-raid-your-rrsp-to-buy-your-kid-a-house/

Realtors - Nothing to see here, continue purchasing!

Maclean's posted:

The real estate industry knows buying a home in major cities is becoming prohibitively expensive for many Canadians. So it’s proposing to help. The Canadian Real Estate Association is lobbying the federal government to allow parents to dip into their registered retirement savings accounts to fund their children’s home-ownership dreams.

CREA, which represents more than 100,000 agents, brokers and salespeople, has made a 2018 pre-budget submission proposing changes to the Home Buyers’ Plan (HBP). That program allows a first-time buyer to withdraw up to $25,000 from an RRSP account to purchase or build a home. The realtors’ association suggests expanding the program so that parents can withdraw from their own RRSPs for their children to purchase of a home. Both parents would be eligible to take funds from their accounts, subject to a maximum amount. “Extending the HBP is a compassionate and fiscally responsible way to help modern Canadian families finance the purchase of a home, and also help close the gap for young Canadians,” according to CREA’s submission.

Family already plays a big role in financing first-time buyers. A survey conducted this year by Genworth Canada, a mortgage insurer, found that 22 per cent of first-time buyers received a gift from a family member and 12 per cent received a loan, up from nine per cent in 2015. “As many parents are already ‘loaning’ their savings to their children, a formalized mechanism which allows for the transfer of RRSP savings would help not only increase the available down payment and reduce the amount borrowed, but also limit risk to the lender,” CREA contends.

Some observers are not convinced. “This is a remarkably stupid idea,” says Josh Gordon, an assistant professor at Simon Fraser University’s School of Public Policy. “One of the dumbest ideas I’ve heard in the housing debate.” The policy change would only fuel demand for real estate, he says. With more access to funds, buyers are able to pay more for homes, driving up prices and exacerbating the very problem CREA purports to address. “You’re just allowing people to take on more debt, meaning they can bid more for the same house,” Gordon says.

John Pasalis, president of Realosophy Realty, agrees. “It’s a terrible policy,” he says, adding that it’s typical for real estate groups to propose ideas that stimulate demand in response to affordability issues. “They’re going to recommend things that drive real estate sales, independent of whether it’s good policy,” he says.

Home ownership can be beneficial, says David Madani, an economist at Capital Economics in Toronto. Homes operate like a forced savings mechanism as owners pay down the mortgage and build equity. But now is the wrong time to implement CREA’s policy suggestion, he says, given Canada is grappling with record high household debt and overvaluation in large markets such as Toronto. “It’s unwise to encourage potentially thousands of younger people to rush buying a house at this particular correction point in the housing cycle,” according to Madani.

Tim Syrianos, president of the Toronto Real Estate Board, which is supporting CREA’s proposals, rejects the criticism. “Why would it drive up home prices?” he asks. “The intent of CREA’s proposals is not to drive up more demand. It’s to provide the opportunity for people to own a home.” The government requires that RRSP withdrawals are paid back within 15 years, but Syrianos contends “intergenerational RRSP loans,” to use CREA’s term, do not amount to more debt for first-time buyers. “It could be paid back by the parent,” he says. (A CREA representative was not available for comment.)

In addition to RRSP loans, the real estate association is recommending an expansion of the home buyer’s program to include those who have undergone major life events, such as a divorce or relocating for work. CREA also proposes raising the maximum withdrawal limit from $25,000 to $35,000, since the cap hasn’t increased with inflation since 2009. “Anyone knows $25,000 for a down payment doesn’t get you very far right now, so it makes sense to perhaps increase that a little bit,” Pasalis says.

Government officials, the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation and the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI) have all been working to temper demand for real estate, however. OSFI, the country’s banking regulator, tightened mortgage qualification criteria twice since 2016. The latest measures, which take effect in January, could affect up to 10 per cent of prospective homebuyers, according to the Bank of Canada, prompting them to purchase cheaper properties or simply delay.

CREA’s proposals, especially intergenerational RRSPs loans, appear to run counter to the aims of housing and finance authorities. But politics have trumped sound real estate policymaking in the past. The former Liberal government in B.C. introduced a down payment loan program for first-time buyers in response to eroding affordability last year, a few months ahead of an election. CMHC head Evan Siddall was a strident critic. “Programs that support demand in supply-constrained markets, like Vancouver, serve primarily to increase prices and make the affordability problem worse,” he emailed to provincial officials.

Siddall has also used recent speeches to point out governments at all levels offer ample assistance to homebuyers. When talking about affordability in a speech this month, Siddall said it makes more sense to “restrict unhealthy demand” by keeping lending rules tight and stimulating housing supply, rather than providing more financial support to prospective homeowners.

Affordability is a real—and growing—concern in major cities, of course, but Gordon says policymakers need to target the underlying causes of soaring home prices, namely speculation and foreign investment. Although both Ontario and B.C. implemented taxes on non-resident buyers, the programs might not be adequately capturing foreign dollars. Gordon’s colleague at SFU, Rhys Kesselman, has proposed a one per cent annual tax on homes worth at least $1 million that increases with the value of the property. Importantly, the levy is deductible against income tax paid in the previous year—effectively exempting those who pay income tax in Canada while targeting those who don’t. Such a tax would be more difficult to evade, according to Gordon, even for foreign buyers who use business entities to purchase homes.
Measures like that come with an another benefit: parents can hold on to their retirement savings, guilt-free.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 4, 2017

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/bitcoin-mine-canada-1.4436149

quote:

Bitcoin gamble: Canadian couple pours life savings into backyard bitcoin mine

'If this is going to work, it's going to work really well'

100k hahah

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Speaking of bitcoin... So I've got a friend who seems very, very interested in bitcoin. The entire thing seems like a massive ponzi scheme to me, but I've never really done a lot of digging into the matter. I've heard that it can be pretty hard to cash out, but he says apparently there are ATMs that just let you get a (reduced) amount? And that Canada doesn't have any real regulations on this sort of thing, so it's actually fairly easy to connect your bitcoin exchange account to a bank account.

I'd like to convince him not to dump his money into what still strikes me as a really bad idea. Any good run-downs of the pitfalls of bitcoin as it stands today?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Falstaff posted:

Speaking of bitcoin... So I've got a friend who seems very, very interested in bitcoin. The entire thing seems like a massive ponzi scheme to me, but I've never really done a lot of digging into the matter. I've heard that it can be pretty hard to cash out, but he says apparently there are ATMs that just let you get a (reduced) amount? And that Canada doesn't have any real regulations on this sort of thing, so it's actually fairly easy to connect your bitcoin exchange account to a bank account.

I'd like to convince him not to dump his money into what still strikes me as a really bad idea. Any good run-downs of the pitfalls of bitcoin as it stands today?

Apart from the fact it can lose $3000 within a day even now?

How about it's killing the planet?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Jan posted:

Apart from the fact it can lose $3000 within a day even now?

How about it's killing the planet?

A day? It's gained and lost and gained that back in the past 3 hours. Shits hosed, but it's hit the point where enough lunatics are jumping in that the major whales will actually be able to liquidate their profits into cash.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rime posted:

A day? It's gained and lost and gained that back in the past 3 hours. Shits hosed, but it's hit the point where enough lunatics are jumping in that the major whales will actually be able to liquidate their profits into cash.

And that's not anyone joining in at this point.

Bitcoin is the only bubble bigger and less reliable than Vancouver real estate right now.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Bahaha investing in bitcoin :allbuttons:

Just light your money on fire, there is no liquidity. When people go to the exits, you will be waiting days to get your cash out assuming the exchanges have the liquidity to fulfill the requests

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Risky Bisquick posted:

Just light your money on fire, there is no liquidity. When people go to the exits, you will be waiting days to get your cash out assuming the exchanges have the liquidity to fulfill the requests

Hey now my brother was able to cash out by selling it direct to some guy who followed him on Twitter. After he failed to cash out through other means. I’m sure this is an option for everyone.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
There's no actual value to bitcoin just whatever the next idiot is going to pay for it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Risky Bisquick posted:

At least two multimillion-dollar positions have been liquidated by Canadian holders in the last month. They’re not using an exchange, obviously.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
It's telling that Bitcoin, which was supposed to replace money, is now seen as a way to make money. If we ignore all of the structural issues with Bitcoin, this is basically currency speculation. No one is talking about how great Bitcoin is for buying your drugs or paying a strange Filipino man to kill your wife anymore, it's how much we believe its value will rise relative to real currencies.

Wasting fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 7, 2017

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Subjunctive posted:

At least two multimillion-dollar positions have been liquidated by Canadian holders in the last month. They’re not using an exchange, obviously.

if you've been around a while and you know gullible idiots with too much money this is an option, but let's not pretend there's any kind of liquidity for random retail investors

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

E: forget it

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 7, 2017

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

the talent deficit posted:

if you've been around a while and you know gullible idiots with too much money this is an option, but let's not pretend there's any kind of liquidity for random retail investors

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7hn921/i_went_to_buy_some_bitcoin_payed_5500_cad_in_cash/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Holy gently caress

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Is that Australia or Canada?

Is it bad that I cant tell them apart anymore when it comes to ludicrous housing costs?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

it's san francisco

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

it's san francisco

Of course

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Isn't the tenderloin one of the sketchiest, most druggy neighbourhoods in the US? I seem to remember it being featured on an episode of drugs inc. and in the TCC heroin thread.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

B33rChiller posted:

Isn't the tenderloin one of the sketchiest, most druggy neighbourhoods in the US? I seem to remember it being featured on an episode of drugs inc. and in the TCC heroin thread.

Yeah, that's why the rent is so cheap.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah there's a lot of similar places here in Whistler. $900 a month for one bed in a three-bunk room is actually commonplace now.

Also Bitcoin was obviously a bubble as soon as randoms like my high school teachers started talking about it on Facebook. Nope, nope, nope.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Bitcoin is now at 17,000$ lol.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

HookShot posted:

Also Bitcoin was obviously a bubble as soon as randoms like my high school teachers started talking about it on Facebook. Nope, nope, nope.

I'm hearing buzz everywhere from everyone and Global was running a "intro to bitcoin" thing once an hour all day.

People are going to get fuckin' nuked on this.

I never played but I would 100% be hitting the sell button on this today if I had any. Wayyy too frothy.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Didn’t it only hit 10k like a week ago? :stare:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
yeah its up almost 100% in a week lmao

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Canadians fleeing the housing bubble and into the waiting jaws arms of the bitcoin bubble is going to be magical.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Perfect time to use a HELOC for a sizable Bitcoin investment.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
What??? An honest Nigerian can't buy some bitcoin every now and then??

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I mean, the one silverlining to this BTC thing is that the underlying system is solid enough that your average Nigerian scammer won't be able to exploit it.

Instead, it's just lottery for your average speculator. :v:

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
Could someone with actual experience in bitcoin speak as to how difficult it is to unload for the average user? If people can't sell, this is a disaster.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You can sell it, in 2-5 days depending on how much you want to lose as a fee and whether that exchange you try to withdraw money from has an equivalent dollar value deposit. When people stop believing in the hype, the value will crater overnight to basically nothing.

Light your money on fire if you think it will last forever, I don't and I have a bunch of miners

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

:suicide:

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Dollard des Ormeaux is a random-rear end place to be scoring between West Van and Burnaby. Is there a large contingent of organized crime in the West Island I'm not aware of?

Icemakor
Sep 11, 2000

Wasting posted:

Could someone with actual experience in bitcoin speak as to how difficult it is to unload for the average user? If people can't sell, this is a disaster.

It’s not that hard. Just a bunch of buthurt fomo in this thread.
https://bitpam.com/blogs/cryptocurrency-guides/how-do-i-buy-bitcoin-in-canada

Saw insane gains over the last two days, I don’t day trade. Just long term hold. Bitcoins futures being traded on the NASDAQ on the 10th is fanning the flames right now. Or the wall street guys are pumping it up so they can pull the rug out after they short it.

I moved a bit of cash from my TFSA into crypto a while ago. Quadriga and Coinsquare are the two big Canadian exchanges. Don’t invest any more than you are prepared to lose, it might all come crashing down any day now. Or we can race our lambos on the moon.

I hold 50% bitcoins 50% alt coins.

When you buy move your coins to a secure wallet right away, Don’t let it sit on the exchange unless you are buying and selling that amount.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Aramis posted:

Dollard des Ormeaux is a random-rear end place to be scoring between West Van and Burnaby. Is there a large contingent of organized crime in the West Island I'm not aware of?

A lot of lazy spoiled kids who don't want to work and have a credit card courtesy of their parents.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Icemakor posted:

It’s not that hard. Just a bunch of buthurt fomo in this thread.
https://bitpam.com/blogs/cryptocurrency-guides/how-do-i-buy-bitcoin-in-canada

Saw insane gains over the last two days, I don’t day trade. Just long term hold. Bitcoins futures being traded on the NASDAQ on the 10th is fanning the flames right now. Or the wall street guys are pumping it up so they can pull the rug out after they short it.

I moved a bit of cash from my TFSA into crypto a while ago. Quadriga and Coinsquare are the two big Canadian exchanges. Don’t invest any more than you are prepared to lose, it might all come crashing down any day now. Or we can race our lambos on the moon.

I hold 50% bitcoins 50% alt coins.

When you buy move your coins to a secure wallet right away, Don’t let it sit on the exchange unless you are buying and selling that amount.

Saving this text for the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Bitcoin is going to explode once Trump replaces the US dollar with it so he can own the idiot libs