Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mugaaz posted:

Man this gap filling is a real pain in the rear end. This stuff takes several hours to cure, it would take like two days minimum if I have to do 3 coats of gap filler.
I know it's expensive, and I don't know what kind of gaps you're filling, but the GW Liquid Greenstuff dries in a few minutes and is really easy to work with. Just throwing that out there.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

The Vallejo airbrush flow improver is concentrated magic in a bottle; it only takes a drop for every 5-10 drops of paint. You want your consistency to be close to that of skim milk after adding the improver.
poo poo, I've been doing a 50/50. Guess I've got to ratchet that down a few notches then.

On an airbrush note, I am really fed up with my Patriot 105. The thing has air leaks everywhere, and, after I installed a Super Detail needle kit, paint winds up backflowing into the body and up the trigger. What a piece of poo poo. The $25 Master G233 I picked up is better built that that 105 trash. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Booyah- posted:

The model is looking dope.

What type of grass are you using? It looks like flock. I'm a much bigger fan of static grass and pre-made tufts when I'm lazy.

It's the long field grass, glued at one end and cut down. I hadn't seen the pre-made tufts before but yeah that looks like what I'm looking for

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I know it's expensive, and I don't know what kind of gaps you're filling, but the GW Liquid Greenstuff dries in a few minutes and is really easy to work with. Just throwing that out there.

poo poo, I've been doing a 50/50. Guess I've got to ratchet that down a few notches then.

On an airbrush note, I am really fed up with my Patriot 105. The thing has air leaks everywhere, and, after I installed a Super Detail needle kit, paint winds up backflowing into the body and up the trigger. What a piece of poo poo. The $25 Master G233 I picked up is better built that that 105 trash. :argh:

contact Badger. They have a good reputation for costumer service.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BULBASAUR posted:

I would consider a black rim. The blue doesn't really do anything for your model, in my opinion. The grass is fine, but I'd cut it much shorter and have each tuft a different height. Just something to consider.

Goblin Green rims or get out. Have some respect for your history.

:colbert:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

dexefiend posted:

You think? I bought it just over a year ago.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

berzerkmonkey posted:

You think? I bought it just over a year ago.

Absolutely! Worst case scenario you end up where you are now!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Goblin Green rims or get out. Have some respect for your history.

:colbert:

Counterpoint: there's a reason that stopped being the norm.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The base is the picture frame of the model. Ideally you want either a neutral base, or one that compliments the model's colours. I'd use Steel Legion Drab on that Inquisitor's base personally. It's pretty neutral and it would work a lot better for making the red pop than that murky blue. It also makes sense if you're looking at the rim as a cross section slice of the ground the guy stands on.

Goblin green is and was terrible for base rims because it draws the eye away from the mini, and looks bad alongside a lot of colours.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

dexefiend posted:

Yeah, they're usually really good about stuff. Try reaching out to Candi Carnes (candi@badgerairbrush.com), I believe she is their customer service rep, she's been very helpful with things in the past.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Welp, yesterday saw way more work get done than I was expecting.

Going for simple lava bases on these guys. (That's a pile of 8 skulls on the Mighty Lord of Khorne's base, and 8 skulls beneath the Slaughterpriest).

Sucks that Khorgoraths are monopose, but they're good models.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Broken Record Talk posted:

Yeah, they're usually really good about stuff. Try reaching out to Candi Carnes (candi@badgerairbrush.com), I believe she is their customer service rep, she's been very helpful with things in the past.

OK, thanks.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Goblin green is and was terrible for base rims because it draws the eye away from the mini, and looks bad alongside a lot of colours.

Counterpoint: It looks :krad: when it's clashing against primary blue, yellow and red.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

berzerkmonkey posted:

Depends on the paint you use. I personally like 50/50 for reaper paints or scale (though I also add some AB thinner) and like to spray at 10-15 PSI. For vallejo air, they're already much thinner so I do maybe 1:3 of flow improver to paint and no thinner, but still spray at 10-15 PSI. At low PSI I can cover areas with minimal overspray, which I like.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

On my previous blood angels I noticed that they got a slight zenithal priming effect from the red spray that I used, because the plastic itself was blue and I didn't spray equally from all angles. Now that I have an airbrush I'm going to try to replicate that effect on future blood angels, so I tried it on the terminator captain here:

Does that look about right for the priming? The deathguard to the right was primed normally so to speak.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yep, looking good.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx

Boon posted:

Went with a slight compromise MSP, collar and mask bone, helmet is blended.

Next step is to accent the helmet gems, eyes, then clean up the mistakes on the black and anywhere the gems bled into the armor plates, wash and touch up the bone areas, then dot the gems and finish.

This is my favourite thing posted in terms of colour in a while

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Getting back into painting after a long break, I've got 6 models done and this is the first one I like:

The picture of his back came out blurry and now my camera won't save anything :saddowns:

Not 100% done -- need to touch up the leather straps / metal belt loops and the wire on the wrench, as well as figure out what to do for a base. But other than that...

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
So I'm looking to get back into miniature painting again after a loooong hiatus, and I'll basically be starting over completely from scratch. I was curious to try Scale75 paints, so I thought I'd see what the thread's opinions on them were. I've used Vallejo, P3, Army Painter, and even craft paints (Delta Ceramcoat, Apple Barrel, FolkArt, etc.) before, so I wanted to see if any of you guys had experience with the Scale75 line of paints and how they might compare to the aforementioned lines.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So I'm looking to get back into miniature painting again after a loooong hiatus, and I'll basically be starting over completely from scratch. I was curious to try Scale75 paints, so I thought I'd see what the thread's opinions on them were. I've used Vallejo, P3, Army Painter, and even craft paints (Delta Ceramcoat, Apple Barrel, FolkArt, etc.) before, so I wanted to see if any of you guys had experience with the Scale75 line of paints and how they might compare to the aforementioned lines.

All paints have their place.

Scale paints are heavily pigmented, have some really vibrant colors and are very thick and ultra-matte. You have to thin them heavily for airbrushing, and even then I sometimes find they gum poo poo up.

They need a ton of shaking too, much like Vallejo.

Compared to Vallejo, they're way more matte, have colors you can't find in those lines (and vice versa) and are even thicker (which I like for edge highlights).

Their metals are the best around, hands down, in the water-based acrylic realm.

I have the full scalecolor range and will eventually get the full fantasy range too as it has some really awesome colors.

Also, they have a good range of skintones between the base range and fantasy range.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Bought the full scalecolor range when the black friday deals were going on. Now I do the two month wait of the store having to place an order to Scale75 and then them shipping everything from Spain to California then to me.

All the cool mini stuff is from Spain.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

bonds0097 posted:

All paints have their place.

That's a very good point, even the cheap craft paints can come in handy for doing things like bases or "slop" work where you're more concerned about just getting the paint on something in a quick & dirty fashion.

quote:

Their metals are the best around, hands down, in the water-based acrylic realm.

Even better than the Vallejo Air metallics? That'd be hard to beat, but I'm definitely willing to give 'em a shot if they're that good.

quote:

Also, they have a good range of skintones between the base range and fantasy range.

Good to know. I did like the P3 skintone range, so I'll probably just get 2 or 3 each of P3 and Scale75, and see what I think.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Philthy posted:

Bought the full scalecolor range when the black friday deals were going on. Now I do the two month wait of the store having to place an order to Scale75 and then them shipping everything from Spain to California then to me.

All the cool mini stuff is from Spain.

I think Scale75 has a US store now, from what I can tell. Haven't ordered from 'em yet, though.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I think Scale75 has a US store now, from what I can tell. Haven't ordered from 'em yet, though.

Reddit claims this will get you 15% off an order on their US shop if you buy $50+.

MINIXMAS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That's a very good point, even the cheap craft paints can come in handy for doing things like bases or "slop" work where you're more concerned about just getting the paint on something in a quick & dirty fashion.

Yeah, craft paints are fine for terrain too.

When airbrushing, I tend to like Reaper because the triads make it dead simple to do a basecoat followed by a shade and a highlight and the have a consistency and translucency that I like for that kind of application.

For edge highlights, nothing really beats Vallejo Model or Scale because they're nice and pigmented and I can add a drop of flow improver to slow their drying time and get some really crisp highlights.

quote:

Even better than the Vallejo Air metallics? That'd be hard to beat, but I'm definitely willing to give 'em a shot if they're that good.

Yes. I have the Valejo Game and Model Air metallics and while I like the Model Air metallics, the Scale ones are superior. Plus they have a full range of colored metals for Alpha Legion shenanigans or whatever floats your boat. I like mixing the cobalt and steel color to make a nice blue metal for power swords for example.

Anyway, I like Scale and they definitely have a solid place in my arsenal.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Sydney Bottocks posted:

They do, but I'm told they do what all the other shops do. They place orders back to the home base in Spain for nearly everything. I would imagine some order would luck out when they have stuff in stock, but who knows. I got 25% off at Fantization so eh. I've got the Army Painter line which is okay, but almost all the paints are glossy as hell and it's the one thing that drives me insane with paints. I enjoy my P3 paints, but they're all in these lovely little pots with tabs that break off and I want to kick myself for ever having bought this nonsense. The amount of misery I've had trying to get those lovely little pots open is just not worth it.

My buddy who does some amazing stuff recommended Scale to me over all else, and especially their metallics. So I jumped on the deal.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 5, 2017

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Philthy posted:

I enjoy my P3 paints, but they're all in these lovely little pots with tabs that break off and I want to kick myself for ever having bought this nonsense. The amount of misery I've had trying to get those lovely little pots open is just not worth it.

When I had some P3 paints, I just transferred 'em over to dropper bottles (the cheap ones you can get off Amazon). Made life sooo much easier using them that way.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

bonds0097 posted:

When airbrushing, I tend to like Reaper because the triads make it dead simple to do a basecoat followed by a shade and a highlight and the have a consistency and translucency that I like for that kind of application.

What, if anything, do you mix it with for that?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I absolutely love every scale paint I've used, a mix of the fantasy line and the normal line. I keep finding myself buying more. Pretty soon I'll probably find myself only using a couple of Vallejo metal color paints and the citadel reds for my blood angel armor, and even those are just for consistency with what I've done already. They're not the easiest paint to work with, and buying a shaker from ebay is well worth it, but I love the appearance and coverage. Their bright gold covers perfectly over black in 2 thin coats. No mid layers at all.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

wdarkk posted:

What, if anything, do you mix it with for that?

I tend to spray at 10-15 PSI so for reaper MSP (not HD) I usually mix 50/50 with Vallejo Flow Improver plus 1 drop of Vallejo AB Thinner for every 5 drops of paint, more for some of the sludgier ones (like some of the blues and bone colors). This gives me a very thin consistency with a lot of control at 10 PSI which I love because I can spray small stuff at a close distance with minimal overspray.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

bonds0097 posted:

I tend to spray at 10-15 PSI so for reaper MSP (not HD) I usually mix 50/50 with Vallejo Flow Improver plus 1 drop of Vallejo AB Thinner for every 5 drops of paint, more for some of the sludgier ones (like some of the blues and bone colors). This gives me a very thin consistency with a lot of control at 10 PSI which I love because I can spray small stuff at a close distance with minimal overspray.

I've done something similar although not with the AB Thinner. I assume it's actually useful over using drops of water or w/e?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

wdarkk posted:

I've done something similar although not with the AB Thinner. I assume it's actually useful over using drops of water or w/e?

I personally don't like thinning with water. I use distilled water as a component for washes but not regular thinning, I prefer an actual acrylic thinner or medium as it won't risk pigments splitting or tide marks or any other weird poo poo.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
So I went and bought myself a mini cause of course I'm going to become obsessed with tabletop gaming in its entirety. My main question is going to be whether it looks like I should pin one of the two things on a sprue or not.

I thankfully found a picture of the mini unpackaged, so as you'll see in the image below it's mostly just the axe/hand and mohawk that aren't already part of the mini. For someone who is 100% new to this stuff, should I still try to set up a pin on this or just glue it? I know I need to get some shears but just figured I ought to ask. This is mainly for D&D purposes, and I don't expect to attempt to paint it for a good long while.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Arthil posted:

So I went and bought myself a mini cause of course I'm going to become obsessed with tabletop gaming in its entirety. My main question is going to be whether it looks like I should pin one of the two things on a sprue or not.

I thankfully found a picture of the mini unpackaged, so as you'll see in the image below it's mostly just the axe/hand and mohawk that aren't already part of the mini. For someone who is 100% new to this stuff, should I still try to set up a pin on this or just glue it? I know I need to get some shears but just figured I ought to ask. This is mainly for D&D purposes, and I don't expect to attempt to paint it for a good long while.

Pinning is pretty easy. Just need a hand vise and some paperclips. You should absolutely pin axe given that you have a small flat plane, the worst possible bonding surface for superglue as it will be subject to plenty of shear forces.

Just drill a hole on both components, stick a piece of paperclip in and glue it all together. Obviously there's a bit of nuance to hole alignment, etc. but nothing complicated.

For the mohawk, you can pin but probably not necessary. I would use a metal file or knife to cut grooves into the bonding surfaces though, as that will make the glue fill those little grooves and make the bond much stronger.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Thinning with water in an airbrush in my experience just makes for more hassle with drying out on the needle when spraying or going the other way and beading on the surface to get blown around. Typically Vallejo airbrush flow improver is my go to, but if I want a thinner additive then Liquitex airbrush medium or the trusty Future floor polish.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

Pinning is pretty easy. Just need a hand vise and some paperclips. You should absolutely pin axe given that you have a small flat plane, the worst possible bonding surface for superglue as it will be subject to plenty of shear forces.

Just drill a hole on both components, stick a piece of paperclip in and glue it all together. Obviously there's a bit of nuance to hole alignment, etc. but nothing complicated.

For the mohawk, you can pin but probably not necessary. I would use a metal file or knife to cut grooves into the bonding surfaces though, as that will make the glue fill those little grooves and make the bond much stronger.

Agreed. Pin the hand. Mohawk shouldn't need it, as there is more contact area and not as much leverage on that part as it doesn't have an axe sticking out.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Thanks for the advice guys! Going to a local gaming shop this Friday for a game and they've got some supplies so I'll see what I can pick up there. Only need the pin vise and the appropriate glue, but maybe I'll get lucky and they'll also have an area I could use to put it all together.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Just bought the Citadel buttplug. I really can't get over how cheap it is, I wanted to run out of the store before they realized their mistake.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Scale Paints are fantastic. I bought the full scale colour and then the full fantasy line.

It’s a really magic line.

Also, buy their inks. They’re double plus good.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeast posted:

Scale Paints are fantastic. I bought the full scale colour and then the full fantasy line.

It’s a really magic line.

Also, buy their inks. They’re double plus good.

Quoted for truth.

I have switched almost totally over to scale 75, and other than a few GW colors I particularly like or use to keep an army consistent I can't see using anything else.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
Mostly finished up a Heroforge mini for one of my buddies and started playing around with this new Macro Mat. Haven't quite gotten the hang of lighting properly yet but it's still a vast improvement over my previous hold the mini under the light and try and get the camera to focus stuff.

I need to figure out a good way to do a tiny stencil to put an emblem on his shield and then I think I will call it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

So much good advice in this thread.

This whole thread is like one big OP on painting.