Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
That was my thinking. Any experience with the husky warranty process? My friends say it's a pain, and suggested I go to sears and buy this:

http://m.sears.com/craftsman-450-piece-mechanic-s-tool-set/p-A010318153?unitNo=0001443

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Husky warranty for me was as easy as going into Home Depot and asking them to replace the part. Dunno if that's normal or not, but I had the same experience with both Kobalt and Husky. Sears is a dying company, I wouldn't suggest buying ANYTHING from them unless it's on clearance.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That's a pretty good deal as well, though the last craftsman ratchet I bought is junk even compared to HF...dunno what their quality is like now.

Maybe the Sears in your area is better, but my personal experience with their warranty is that it's useless. They never have individual sockets in stock, and try to make you warranty through the mail. Also the craftsman brand was purchased by Black and Decker, and it remains to be seen how the they will handle the warranty in the future.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Husky warranty for me was as easy as going into Home Depot and asking them to replace the part. Dunno if that's normal or not, but I had the same experience with both Kobalt and Husky. Sears is a dying company, I wouldn't suggest buying ANYTHING from them unless it's on clearance.

Yeah, Husky warranty has been painless for me. Walk to the returns counter, show them the broken tool, they have me run back to grab the current equivalent, they fill out some paperwork and send me on my way with new tool.

Sears I haven't even tried in ages. The last Craftsman tool I broke I paid for a repair kit on because they don't make it anymore.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The Sears torx bits (and I'll assume the hex) are absolute garbage based on the last I got a year ago if that makes your decision easier.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Thanks a lot for the replies. I knew about Craftsman a little from following this thread, and based on your husky warranty experiences I am going to go with that kit.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I just bought the Husky one and it feels decent. Guess we will find out when I try to use it. HD wasn’t too crazy but the staff were pretty aggressive as expected.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Looks absolutely gorgeous in person. Only £135 from Halfords (half price)

except:
1) I need it even less than the last one I bought and
2) Every time I look at it, all I can hear in my head is the chorus of 'gently caress black tools!' from this forum.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I already can’t see them.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I wish someone would start making tool sets in Dayglo colors.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MRC48B posted:

How is this not an option yet? I can get an adjustable wrench in realtree but so help me if I want a good set in bright orange.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

the closest thing you can get are 1kv insulated sets, which are for electricians doing poo poo live, and are covered in several mm of plastic.

they're expensive as hell and hard to work with.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

MRC48B posted:

What happens if you rattle can them?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Then you have paint that gets scratched and peels off with use.

I want them dyed that color when they plate them.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Color coded sockets are pretty close to what you’re asking.

https://m.harborfreight.com/10-pc-38-in-drive-metric-color-coded-socket-set-61292.html

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Powder coating work?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
You could ceracoke, probably.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
spray painting every couple of years is probably the easiest way to go

fake edit: i'm trying to talk myself in/out of getting a portable table saw and the black friday sales on the bosch 4100 with gravity stand are just too good to ignore :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Brush on or dip in plasticoat. Not groundbreakingly permanent but pretty good and a good range of colours.

E: I need deep stickers and hex bits and that Halfords set is tempting as hell...in chrome though

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 25, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

E: I need deep stickers and hex bits and that Halfords set is tempting as hell...in chrome though

They seem nice stuff, just be warned that you need to check the have all the rights bits in there.

I bought the size smaller and despite have 3 ratchets and loads is pointless Allen keys, the had no extension bars, which is a really stupid omission.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Just grabbed an m18 fuel 1/2 impact for $150 after clearance/sale/promo pricing at HD. This thing is a loving tank.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets

Not all their deals seem to appear on the front page.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Is there such a thing as a grease gun that would be suitable for living life inside a vehicle? My Dad is trying to find a grease gun which would solely be used to grease the ball on his gooseneck every once in a while, can go with as low as a $10 mini grease gun from Harbor Freight or as high as a $269 M-18 2 speed grease gun. . . Will a $35 Husky grease gun be any less likely to leak than a Harbor Freight special? Part 2 - what is a good heavy duty grease for goose neck balls? *note the grease gun might live in the cab of the pickup, or it might spend it's life inside a tool box, I assume the tool box is obviously the safer storage location although then it would be kinda hot all the time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Maybe a small push one like this with a screw-on cap for the tip?

Or just put it in a container so it can't leak on things.

I'd try Lucas red 'n' tacky grease on the towball, it seems quite good for sliding surfaces, which in effect is what it is.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
3oz grease gun from HF in a ziplock.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Maybe a small push one like this with a screw-on cap for the tip?

Or just put it in a container so it can't leak on things.

I'd try Lucas red 'n' tacky grease on the towball, it seems quite good for sliding surfaces, which in effect is what it is.
That actually looks really good but I'm still trying to find a place to buy one.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
This grease works fine and is reasonably priced.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/traveller-multi-purpose-no-15-lithium-based-lubricating-grease-3-oz-cartridge-pack-of-3

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

If he's just greasing a hitch ball there's no need for a gun or any super special grease properties, just find something cheap and thick in a squeeze tube with a skookum screw-on cap. Consider NLGI#3 or maybe #4, it's less likely to make a mess or collect dirt and shmoo (but will probably not come in a squeeze tube and will have to be applied by hand or with a rag, and also will be a lot harder to find than #2)

Got sick of patching my CP 7733 back together every couple months (use it on 500 ft.lb m22x1.5 nuts like weekly, blew it apart on 7/8" U-bolts this time) and ordered an IR 2235 since the bastards discontinued my gun on me. Will report back on skookumness. ive been using 7733s since 2006 i dont like change oh god i am so scared :ohdear:

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 28, 2017

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Will dry graphite spray suffice instead of grease?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Will dry graphite spray suffice instead of grease?

I took a door off recently that the previous owner had graphited the hinges. It was a bit of a mess. I was very confused at all of the black dust coming out when I was knocking out the hinge pin.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
brand recs for allen/hex keys?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Wera?

https://www.amazon.com/Wera-05073593001-Multicolor-Metric-Blacklaser/dp/B009ODV0OE

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Solid and affordable: Eklind or Bondhus
Slightly better: Wiha or Wera
You're Rich: PB Swiss
I've got both Eklind and Bondhus, they're really good. I suggest a set of short arm and a set of ball end. I've never used them, but the Wiha magic ring keys are supposed to be amazing.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

brand recs for allen/hex keys?
Wera makes a really nice set that’s not too crazy expensive:

Wera 05073593001 950 Spkl/9 Sm N Multicolor L-Key Set, Metric, Blacklaser, 9 Pieces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ODV0OE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Cn5iAb208VAD7

There’s a standard set as well, but the packaging is different (Velcro cloth case).

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Weird, I'm pretty sure I picked up the all-green wera allens for less than that last year, but they're crazy overpriced now. Maybe that was the old version and was phased out? Anyways, they're great, I'd recommend them.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have a Bondhus long ball-end set which has treated me very, very well.

Edit: I now also seem to have amassed a short Bondhus, imperial Bondhus, torx Bondhus, long Wiha and a color coded long Wera...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

bolind posted:

Edit: I now also seem to have amassed a short Bondhus, imperial Bondhus, torx Bondhus, long Wiha and a color coded long Wera...

Does Bondus make Whitworth sizes?

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

For a while there were some PB Swiss tools listed on Amazon under cosmetics. I got some gold plated screwdriver sets, hex drivers, and some bottle openers for something like 60% off, as I understand it there were category based discounts assigned by robot. Should have bought more.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Grabbed the M12 starter kit with drill/impact for $99. These fuckers are tiny and have some serious balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Congrats! The batteries seem to last forever too. I’m extremely happy with my M12 Fuel set.