Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/byrobot/status/937443247345020928

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

talk about the "bear" necessities for a stuffed animal toy ahahahagreanfczjhtrwgh

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Sombrerotron posted:

talk about the "bear" necessities for a stuffed animal toy ahahahagreanfczjhtrwgh

:silent:

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

syscall girl posted:

pretty sure val kilmer was not in master of disguise

but :ohdear:

i've been told that these are the same person but i'm not buying it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

KoRMaK posted:

I downloaded it to my phone so i can hear it when I want. I'm partial to cheesy on my peeny

same

stupid song, i kept singing it on the drive home today

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

David Mitchell is very versatile.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
I don't know who posted Adam needley in this thread first (think it might have been trig?) but every time I watch one of his videos I start out think that I know a little bit about music but it gets complicated fast and then end the video thinking I know nothing and that good music is basically wizardry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtK0qi7uqkg

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

that's a super dumb movie but i liked it

the part that annoys me the most is the physics lecture. can't find it on youtube but it's like

"well, what happens is, you have these palladium electrodes, and the deuterium gets in there, and it gets packed closer and closer and closer together, and then, the atoms are all in there, and...they fuse!"

and this is supposed to be a brilliant postdoc lecturing to a bunch of physics phd candidates at oxford

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well actually also the part where she's trying to figure out the formula for cold fusion is also real dumb. she has like eight post-it notes with different equations on them which she hides in her bra and now and then she pulls them out and rearranges them on the table like dominoes because she's "almost figured it out" and just needs to put them in the right order, apparently.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

:lol:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

cold fusion is also real dumb

*nods sagebrushly*

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/valkilmer/status/937449062466547714

etherealshaq
Mar 6, 2010

COME DOWN AND EAT CHICKEN WITH ME, BEAUTIFUL. IT'S SOOOOOOOOOO DARK

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/radio__dog/status/937420762591371264

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

well actually also the part where she's trying to figure out the formula for cold fusion is also real dumb. she has like eight post-it notes with different equations on them which she hides in her bra and now and then she pulls them out and rearranges them on the table like dominoes because she's "almost figured it out" and just needs to put them in the right order, apparently.

more like yourmominos

hot and fresh and ready in 20 minutes

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

that's a super dumb movie but i liked it

the part that annoys me the most is the physics lecture. can't find it on youtube but it's like

"well, what happens is, you have these palladium electrodes, and the deuterium gets in there, and it gets packed closer and closer and closer together, and then, the atoms are all in there, and...they fuse!"

and this is supposed to be a brilliant postdoc lecturing to a bunch of physics phd candidates at oxford

just remembered this

quote:

Jack Hall: [On Sam failing calculus] I'm not angry. I'm disappointed.
Sam: Do you wanna hear my side of it?
Jack Hall: Sam, how can there be two sides?
Sam: Hey, look, I got every question right on the final and the only reason why Mr. Spengler failed me was because I didn't write out the solutions.
Jack: Why not?
Sam: I do them in my head.
Jack Hall: Did you tell him that?
Sam: I did. He didn't believe me. He said that if he can't do them in his head then I must be cheating.
Jack Hall: Well, that's ridiculous! How can he fail you for being smarter than he is?
Sam: That's what I said.
Jack Hall: You did? [Smirks] How'd he take it?
Sam: He flunked me, remember?

buhhh duhhhh math is smart. none of this poo poo is hard, the professor could probably do the work in his head and Sam is an idiot for missing the point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uoM5kfZIQ0

zoom. enhance. it’s bad. often curious about the increasingly specific misrepresentations of fields in media and what they think but probably most don’t care

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Agile Vector posted:

more like yourmominos

:thurman:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Agile Vector posted:

more like yourmominos

also doughy and heavily sauced

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

:piss:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i too am confused by why movies and tv shows spend hundreds of millions on production budgets yet never seem to hire writers above fanfiction.net-tier

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

imagine being on a plane, you're traveling home from a business conference and you're exhausted, you just want to relax and take a nap but val loving kilmer is sitting next to you doing this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

i too am confused by why movies and tv shows spend hundreds of millions on production budgets yet never seem to hire writers above fanfiction.net-tier

chris nolan hired some real scientists for interstellar, and apparently the representation of the black hole and the visual distortion as they enter it is the most accurate rendition of one ever produced, at least with our current knowledge of physics

too bad he had to gently caress it all up at the end with the whole "the secret to time-travel is LOVE" horseshit

OldAlias posted:

buhhh duhhhh math is smart. none of this poo poo is hard, the professor could probably do the work in his head and Sam is an idiot for missing the point

bad student, who doesn't get the point of the exercise
bad professor, who doesn't conduct an experiment ("do this one in your head right now") and carry out the appropriate action (fail him if he's cheating, point him towards advanced study if he's a genius)

overall i am just really disappointed with the way that scientific rigor was portrayed in The Day After Tomorrow

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 5, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i thought that was the movie where marky mark demonstrates to his geology class how sound waves travel at different speeds through different type of rock by playing out-of-tune notes on his trumpet at a block of stone sitting on the desk

but that was The Core

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
they hired legit pseudo scientists for that movie and it’s representation of unobtainium smashing through building sized diamonds was one of the least realistic ever caught in film

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i thought that was the movie where marky mark demonstrates to his geology class how sound waves travel at different speeds through different type of rock by playing out-of-tune notes on his trumpet at a block of stone sitting on the desk

but that was The Core

for a sec i was worried you were talking about the happening (i've heard that's a pos)

but if you have not seen the core

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG1RwE_x6Vg

this makes all the stupid go away

oh wait

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

they hired legit pseudo scientists for that movie and it’s representation of unobtainium smashing through building sized diamonds was one of the least realistic ever caught in film

i liked the part where they had to drop the driller train thing from an oil platform into the marianas trench, the deepest part of the ocean where the crust is the thinnest

because the extra five miles or so that you save by starting there instead of in some salt lake in nevada totally makes the difference when you are drilling another

four
thousand
miles

into the earth's core

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wait, the oil platform was sitting above the trench?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

syscall girl posted:

for a sec i was worried you were talking about the happening (i've heard that's a pos)

no, the happening is the movie where marky mark apologizes to a potted plant

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Sagebrush posted:

chris nolan hired some real scientists for interstellar, and apparently the representation of the black hole and the visual distortion as they enter it is the most accurate rendition of one ever produced, at least with our current knowledge of physics

too bad he had to gently caress it all up at the end with the whole "the secret to time-travel is LOVE" horseshit

bad student, who doesn't get the point of the exercise
bad professor, who doesn't conduct an experiment ("do this one in your head right now") and carry out the appropriate action (fail him if he's cheating, point him towards advanced study if he's a genius)

overall i am just really disappointed with the way that scientific rigor was portrayed in The Day After Tomorrow

that scene in the day after tomorrow made me super duper angry forever

if youve ever studied math you know that the point of the math test is to write out the method

if he is doing this poo poo in his head that's dope, write it all the gently caress down because THAT IS THE POINT OF THE EXAM YOU IDIOT THE PROFESSOR KNOWS THE loving ANSWERS ALREADYT

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Synthbuttrange posted:

wait, the oil platform was sitting above the trench?

oil rigs float

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

at least they got the beginning sort of right. the shuttle doesn't turn sideways to fire the re-entry burn (it flips end over end) but they did acknowledge that it doesn't just point the nose down and fly in

anyway it sure would have been nice if los angeles had any long runways available anywhere in the city, so that they wouldn't have to land in the river

oh well. maybe someday they can build one

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got confused and thought people were mad at The Day After, not remembering that The Day After Tomorrow was also a movie.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh and i guess i'll pick one particular thing to sperg at about that scene: the space shuttle cannot retract its landing gear from the cockpit once it has been deployed :spergin:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FMguru posted:

also doughy and heavily sauced

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

but that was The Core
its called the cure and his name is robert smith

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg5Sy8-cd9o

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

syscall girl posted:

but if you have not seen the core

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG1RwE_x6Vg

this makes all the stupid go away

oh wait

ive never actually seen the beginning of the core, that scene does make the movie marginally better, it's still a poo poo show though

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

oh and i guess i'll pick one particular thing to sperg at about that scene: the space shuttle cannot retract its landing gear from the cockpit once it has been deployed :spergin:

this is why i like yospos

how many people, roughly would you say know this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW LONG I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIND THIS VIDEO

• Locked thread