Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

in shocking news eric garlicman is dumb as gently caress

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/937704296698777600

Bad dems trying to blame shift everything on to Russia.

Bernie had a such a unprecedented popularity and increase in political standing because people believe his message & trust his integrity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its gonna own so hard when trump appoints a chud as fed chair who then cuts off the quantitative easing money train and destroys the economy in a deflationary death spiral

bring back the gold standard

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

comedyblissoption posted:

:wrong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtXRX9P5PuY

note that in addition to extension of the tax cuts, obama also massively cut the estate tax

So what actually happened is Obama cut a deal with Republicans in order to get what he wanted from them. It was probably a bad deal, but Obama wasn't "pushing for" those cuts at all, that's just bullshit you made up.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

So what actually happened is Obama cut a deal with Republicans in order to get what he wanted from them. It was probably a bad deal, but Obama wasn't "pushing for" those cuts at all, that's just bullshit you made up.

I liked it when he almost sold out everything benefit like social security for a grand bargin but the greed of the Tea Party caucus meant they missed out on the deal because they want just a bit more.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

etalian posted:

Even sea life is becoming Bernie bros

https://nypost.com/2017/12/03/wall-street-big-killed-by-shark-while-diving-in-costa-rica/

From birds to sharks Bernie's animal army is getting stronger over time

Oh no. :effort:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

lol the democrats had a filibuster proof majority in the senate for a large period of time

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also the democrats supported the original bush tax cuts and tax repatriation as well setting up the stage for the lovely bill in december ityool 2017

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

do you really not understand at all why sanders did an 8 hour filibuster in protest

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

lol the democrats had a filibuster proof majority in the senate for a large period of time

it was only for 10 months what do you expect them to get done in that time??

I say as republicans smash a horrific tax bill down our throats in under 3 weeks.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/SenateDems/status/937835958350897152

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

They had 58 Senators (including Bernie and the other independent at that time). They could not have passed anything without Republican votes.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

do you really not understand at all why sanders did an 8 hour filibuster in protest

I understand it quite a bit better than you.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

They had 58 Senators (including Bernie and the other independent at that time). They could not have passed anything without Republican votes.
oh my loving god dude do you not know anything

these are the votes on obamacare by a filibuster proof majority of the democratic party causus. not a single republican voted for it and it passed.
https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=111&session=1&vote=00396

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

oh my loving god dude do you not know anything

these are the votes on obamacare by a filibuster proof majority of the democratic party causus. not a single republican voted for it and it passed.
https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=111&session=1&vote=00396

That was later on, look up the stimulus bill legislative process--they had 58 senators seated. Three Republicans voted for it (one of whom later switched parties). It was time-sensitive so they couldn't wait for a longer process and slammed through a compromise bill. Again, you're just fundamentally wrong.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the democrats can have a filibuster proof majority caucus which they just used to pass huge legislation and you will still cry and mewl about how the republicans are so mean and how the democrats had to cave and pass massive tax cuts for the wealthy and slash the estate tax for the wealthy

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

you see they had to keep the filibuster alive so republicans would rewrite all the laws with just 50 votes.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

That was later on, look up the stimulus bill legislative process--they had 58 senators seated.
what the gently caress dude you're being just as bad as concerned citizen

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

what the gently caress dude you're being just as bad as concerned citizen

Have you looked it up yet? Let me know if you need some links, lmao.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lieberman and sanders were part of the democratic caucus that passed obamacare with absolutely zero republican votes. this caucus could have been used to not pass giant tax cut extensions for the wealthy and giant cuts to the estate tax which benefits only the wealthy. they needed zero republican votes

i know you're trying to rationalize a good guy bad guy narrative in your head that obama didn't want to pass immense tax cuts for the wealthy like the bush and trump administrations, but the facts state otherwise

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

obama is trash

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/keithellison/status/937845393941041152

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Calibanibal posted:

obama is trash

As are all liberals, agreed

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

lieberman and sanders were part of the democratic caucus that passed obamacare with absolutely zero republican votes. this caucus could have been used to not pass giant tax cut extensions for the wealthy and giant cuts to the estate tax which benefits only the wealthy. they needed zero republican votes

i know you're trying to rationalize a good guy bad guy narrative in your head that obama didn't want to pass immense tax cuts for the wealthy like the bush and trump administrations, but the facts state otherwise

I'm not rationalizing a single thing; I'm explaining the foundational facts to you. Franken wasn't seated due to the recount and Arlen was a Republican at the time. The Dems had exactly 58 votes if you count Sanders and Lieberman. They got three Republicans, Collins, Snowe, and Specter (who later flipped and became a Democrat) onboard to get 61 total votes and break the filibuster. They probably traded too much to get these votes, of course, but it wasn't an Obama plot to demand extra tax cuts.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Calibanibal posted:

obama is trash

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

why beat around the bush and not just straight out say we already are an oligarchy

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Vox Nihili posted:

He has finally surpassed HA Goodman. He has achieved maximum polarity. My God, my gosldejwi

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm not rationalizing a single thing; I'm explaining the foundational facts to you. Franken wasn't seated due to the recount and Arlen was a Republican at the time. The Dems had exactly 58 votes if you count Sanders and Lieberman. They got three Republicans, Collins, Snowe, and Specter (who later flipped and became a Democrat) onboard to get 61 total votes and break the filibuster. They probably traded too much to get these votes, of course, but it wasn't an Obama plot to demand extra tax cuts.
Ok I looked it up and you're right mostly and I'm wrong. They only had 58 for a caucus in the lame duck session for 2010 because they got owned in special elections for 2010 which gave republicans 2 seats. I thought this bill and obamacare happened in the same year, but they happened on two separate years. Your timeline is a little wrong. Both Franken and Arlen voted for the tax cut extensions in 2010 as democrats:
https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=111&session=2&vote=00276

A much larger majority of republicans voted for this 'compromise' while the dems had a slim majority vote for it.
Vote by party Yea Nay
Democrats 43 13
Republicans 37 5
Independents 1 1

Vote by party Yea Nay
Democrats 139 112
Republicans 138 36
Total 277 148

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Vox Nihili posted:

or they could have had balls, nuked the filibuster and passed it with 51 just like Mitch is doing right now

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Raskolnikov38 posted:

or they could have had balls, nuked the filibuster and passed it with 51 just like Mitch is doing right now

but what if the republicans nuke the filibuster?!

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

SKULL.GIF posted:

but what if the republicans nuke the filibuster?!

They won't because the democrats won't make them by using it in the first place

Actually they'll probably do it anyway whether Dems do poo poo or not.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/937858839160016896

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

look once the dems nuke the filibuster theres no going back and we need to keep it so itll be a weapon the dems can use in the future

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

look once the dems nuke the filibuster theres no going back and we need to keep it so itll be a weapon the dems can use in the future

if the dem party was capable of blowing a homophobic racist who thinks women shouldnt vote and has a large number of pedophilia accusations against him out of the water id say get rid of it but they aint so

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

im just saying it was a specious argument that the dems cant loosen the rules because thatd let the republicans operate under those loosened rules because the first thing the republicans did was loosen the rules so they could steal the gorsuck seat, and it was as obvious in 2010 that they didnt respect the rules that democrats think they do as it is now

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Shear Modulus posted:

im just saying it was a specious argument that the dems cant loosen the rules because thatd let the republicans operate under those loosened rules because the first thing the republicans did was loosen the rules so they could steal the gorsuck seat, and it was as obvious in 2010 that they didnt respect the rules that democrats think they do as it is now

it was the dems that loosened the rules that ultimately led to that because they tossed the filibuster to pass judicial nominees

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the legislative filibuster will never die because every election year a new sociopathic cruz-lite comes into congress eyeing the filibuster as a way to get the limelight

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

logikv9 posted:

it was the dems that loosened the rules that ultimately led to that because they tossed the filibuster to pass judicial nominees

right but they left it in place for scotus nominees which the republicans undid

i dont think the republicans would have let the dems filibuster gorsuch and potentially lose the scotus even if the dems didnt nuke it for non-scotus nominees

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obama loosened his bowels all over the US Constitution iykwim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

logikv9 posted:

That's true but let's be honest here, the GOP would have done it anyway for their SCOTUS seat.

Also lmao, losing that seat blocked meaningful campaign finance reform basically for our lifetimes.

• Locked thread