Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

RandomPauI posted:

It's probably too soon for them to do a dollop about the guy who was just busted for conducting trials of an experimental vaccine without getting government permission, but only because we're still finding out just how bad things are.

https://khn.org/news/years-before-heading-offshore-herpes-researcher-experimented-on-people-in-u-s/

Speaking of which, Andrew Wakefield would be an interesting Dollop. I dunno if it'd be especially funny, but they've done a few 'righteous anger' topics before. And I know he started in England but you fuckers made him a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I know The Dollop doesn't typically do stories that are still ongoing, but I would love a story about Darius McCollum. The guy's the American hero we need.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I'd like to hear them do an episode on John McAfee

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Harminoff posted:

I'd like to hear them do an episode on John McAfee

gently caress this is a real good suggestion.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I kinda want them to do a dollop on Caro, but I wonder how much actual meat is on that particular bone.

They really love doing dollops about people doing unlicensed medical procedures, though, and its crazy to think that some dude with no actual loving experience was performing surgeries THIS DECADE.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's fairly common over here in China for barbers (who are almost always boys who maybe finished high school and couldn't find work) to "graduate" from cutting hair to doing dentistry. Without any sort of training. They're called black dentists, presumably for the color of the infected pus pouring out of your face afterwards.

This is a country where I wouldn't rust an actual locally trained dentist so I can only imagine what one of these dudes is like.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

dougdougdougdoug posted:

They don't have a place to submit on their website but he's said it on twitter a lot.

thedolloppodcast@gmail.com

Thanks, sent my Louis Riel suggestion, we'll see if it works.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
HOly poo poo the Halinans are the loving best.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I’m glad that the Trump double episode did not end the “Say you’re a guy...” running gag

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Working my way through the archive. Incredibly funny, but you should probably skip any episode on a subject you actually know anything about. Maybe that gets better as the show goes on, but a few of the earlier episodes are pretty common “wild history” topics, and ... uf!

I guess it’s like listening to a bad movie podcast and thinking you’ve seen the film, but it’s definitely closer to a drunk history “I read the Wikipedia page, and kinda remember it like this,” versus a jokey commentary on the actual facts.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I listen just to hear Garry's reactions to everything.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

The Modern Leper posted:

Working my way through the archive. Incredibly funny, but you should probably skip any episode on a subject you actually know anything about. Maybe that gets better as the show goes on, but a few of the earlier episodes are pretty common “wild history” topics, and ... uf!

I guess it’s like listening to a bad movie podcast and thinking you’ve seen the film, but it’s definitely closer to a drunk history “I read the Wikipedia page, and kinda remember it like this,” versus a jokey commentary on the actual facts.

they've gotten better about it as they've gone along, but there's no getting around that they aren't actually historians

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
It’s fine in the grand scheme of things—it’s been a while since I had pause a podcast for fear of passing out—but I came to this after listening to Sawbones (a medical history podcast that’s heavily indebted to The Dollop). The Dave Anthony of that show is an actual doctor, so she brings more “established” facts to the table. She isn’t a historian either, but I think it’s more important to her to get it as right as possible since she’s generally not bringing her own jokes.

It’s all just fodder for the gags, but some of these eps are definitely more “gags around history” than “gags about history.”

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The insurance episode could have used Justin and Garrath because that was a depressing episode.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Sawbones and The Dollop have tackled the exact same subjects several times, and it's really interesting to see the contrast. Sawbones is definitely much more factual whereas The Dollop has no qualms with embellishing for the sake of a narrative.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

inthesto posted:

Sawbones and The Dollop have tackled the exact same subjects several times, and it's really interesting to see the contrast. Sawbones is definitely much more factual whereas The Dollop has no qualms with embellishing for the sake of a narrative.

Care to give a few examples? That sounds interesting. I'd listen to the Dollop first, then the Sawbones.

EDIT: Has there been a Sawbones about John Henry Kellogg? There should be.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A Dollop about the German non-doctor who saved babies would terrify Garrath. He'd keep waiting for not-doctor to be a pedo rapist murderer instead of a guy who saved premature babies by popularizing incubators.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

A lot of sawbones eps are about illnesses and treatments, but I know they did an episode about opiates.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ariong posted:

Care to give a few examples? That sounds interesting. I'd listen to the Dollop first, then the Sawbones.

EDIT: Has there been a Sawbones about John Henry Kellogg? There should be.

Off the top of my head (I haven't listened to a lot of the earlier Dollops), the crossover topics are opiods, eugenics, Phineas Gage, and yes Kellogg is there too.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I think Kellogg is a good start, since it's one of the funnier ones but also features a good breakdown on the quackery.

Things like, it's interesting that he was one of the first to understand the importance of probiotics and the use of yogurt to help with digestion problems...but he decided that yogurt enemas were the only way to do it.

That and a deeper dive into his weird True Detective "let's all go hand and hand into the sunset" belief on 100% celibacy for the human race (unless I'm mixing my quacks up).

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

The Modern Leper posted:

The part that gets rough for me is Dave not actually understanding anything he has in his script leading to situations where:
-Dave reads a passage and some phrase comes up that I don't understand, Dave doesn't understand, and Gareth doesn't understand
-Gareth asks Dave what he means
-Dave repeats his sentence, shuffling the exact same words around each time Gareth prompts him
-Gareth eventually gives up and pretends that he now understands, making a quip that is probably wrong
-Dave moves on to the next passage

If I'm not at a computer to look it up myself, then I have to just give up and wonder why Dave left in a passage that he couldn't understand or explain - it gets super close to "I stole someone else's book report for my presentation and hope the teacher doesn't notice" territory.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I remember super early in the podcast in the David Hahn episode, Gareth seemed to be operating under the belief that the word "irradiate" mean the same thing as "disintegrate"

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

SubSEEquent.

Also the new ep was pretty good. Maybe it's just the contrast with all the live episodes lately. The only real good live ones are with Wil Anderson IMO and audio can be hit or miss (but seems to have gotten better as of late)

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 6, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

barbed wire is some nasty poo poo. i ran through a fence of it once and it took my foot clean off

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Serf posted:

barbed wire is some nasty poo poo. i ran through a fence of it once and it took my foot clean off

Like, all the bones and everything?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ariong posted:

Like, all the bones and everything?

yep. one second foot, next second stump. it was an odd feeling, from what i remember. it felt like my foot was stuck in a hole or something but it was just gone. i lived way out in the woods and our town's one ambulance couldn't find us, so my family had to take me to the hospital instead and my dad had to find my foot and put it in the cooler. it's a wonder the wire didn't just decapitate me, i've got some gnarly scars all along my neck.

basically, don't gently caress with barbed wire

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Holy poo poo was it old fashioned barbed wire? Not new fangled razor wire? That’s crazy. Did they reattach it? :ohdear:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Snowy posted:

Holy poo poo was it old fashioned barbed wire? Not new fangled razor wire? That’s crazy. Did they reattach it? :ohdear:

yep, it was the classic barbed wire. and they tried to reattach it but it didn't work.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

It’s fine in the grand scheme of things—it’s been a while since I had pause a podcast for fear of passing out—but I came to this after listening to Sawbones (a medical history podcast that’s heavily indebted to The Dollop). The Dave Anthony of that show is an actual doctor, so she brings more “established” facts to the table. She isn’t a historian either, but I think it’s more important to her to get it as right as possible since she’s generally not bringing her own jokes.

You ever notice that when people talk about the best/their favorite Dollops, the baseball ones get mentioned a lot?

I think a big part of that is Dave actually knows baseball.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Theris posted:

You ever notice that when people talk about the best/their favorite Dollops, the baseball ones get mentioned a lot?

I think a big part of that is Dave actually knows baseball.

Also, baseball episodes aren't always "holy poo poo humans are terrible, terrible peoplemonsters".

prefect fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 6, 2017

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don’t like baseball but I love hearing about sports fans being scumbags

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
The live episode with My Favorite Murder is good.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Binowru posted:

The live episode with My Favorite Murder is good.

My favourite part is when Karen Kilgariff has had enough of Dave trying to skirt the issue, and starts describing this woman's insane chest.

Then you look at a picture and its exactly as ridiculous as she says it is.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Serf posted:

yep, it was the classic barbed wire. and they tried to reattach it but it didn't work.

I'm sorry to hear that.
I know people who got seriously injured on barbed wire, but I didn't know it was possible to take off limbs :(
Did you literally run into it, or where you on a bike or something?

Serf
May 5, 2011

mrfart posted:

I'm sorry to hear that.
I know people who got seriously injured on barbed wire, but I didn't know it was possible to take off limbs :(
Did you literally run into it, or where you on a bike or something?

sitting on the front of a four-wheeler. brakes went out while going downhill and welp

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

My stepdad went over the handlebars of an ATV as a young adult, hit some barbed wire, and shredded the poo poo out of his neck and chest. After a long rehab he was fine except his voice is super scratchy and hoarse. He sounds super angry all the time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Snowy posted:

I don’t like baseball but I love hearing about sports fans being scumbags

Yeah I don't give the tiniest poo poo about baseball but all the baseball Dollops are great. It helps that one of them is about a man who fought alligators and another was a stadium turning into literally Thunderdome.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm surprised he passed over WWI so quickly. They would string up barbed wire in no man's land. When people went over the top, they'd get caught in it. Best case scenario, you'd just be a sitting duck and the enemy would shoot you. Worst case was they didn't. You'd be caught in the wire, too tangled up or too injured to free yourself. The enemy wouldn't shoot you because they wanted your guys to come out of their trenches to try to help you, where they'd be easy picking for enemy gunners. So you'd just lay out there, for days, until you died of your injuries/dehydration/infection/whatever.

There are stories of people caught on barbed wire begging to be shot. Not to end their suffering, but because they couldn't help from crying out in pain, and they didn't their comrades to have to endure hearing them.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Is... is this the same barbed wire you just see on fences in some places, where there's free ends of wire sticking out along the regular wire?

I had no idea this stuff could be so loving horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Modern barbed wire has less spots with pointy bits, and the pointy bits are less sharp.

Imagine navigating through that in a cluster of people while under fire. Even when it was quiet, they had to balance over it on loving planks because it was everywhere.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 8, 2017