Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

Yeah Prime Minister Trumble is hosed.

Time for the pool.

Players (Essential Best Liberal Leader)

Turnbull (21%)
Bishop (19%)
Abbott (10%)
Dutton (4%)
Morrison (2%)

Now Turnbull is clearly shown to be the most popular out of the (miserable field), and given the Coalition's tendencies to totally ignore the will of the electorate until poo poo is literally on fire, you can count on that not to matter worth a poo poo.

Bets in!

Check the Turnbull Death Pool guesses to date here and then PM me or post in the thread to add yours everyone who hasn't yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Depressing

quote:

Requiring Indigenous politicians to prove their Australian citizenship has been an upsetting and anger-inducing process that resurfaced a colonial “legacy of hurt and pain”, two federal parliamentarians have said.

Some were unable to say when or where their family members were born because the Australian government never registered the births or recognised them as citizens.

Linda Burney, a Wiradjuri woman, was not considered an Australian citizen until she was 10 years old, and in her maiden speech described her experiences of “racism and exclusion”.

I had no idea that there were Aboriginal people still not being recognised as citizens in the 60's.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/dec/05/australias-citizenship-saga-uncovers-gut-wrenching-stories-for-indigenous-mps

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Gimme May 9

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Spudd posted:

So is our media still giving Milo whateveropalos free attention?

Well, you are...

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Milo has been on every TV network this week.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Done.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Please stop tarnishing the Milo brand by talking about anything that isn't a beverage or a cat that is friends with a dog.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The prize is a copy of Lazarus Rising

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Half the revolutionaries in the country will die from alcohol poisoning if this happens

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
My date was tomorrow. Let us hope.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

Turnbull (21%)
Bishop (19%)
Abbott (10%)
Dutton (4%)
Morrison (2%)

Bets in!

There should be a spill, but the new leader should be Turnbull! There's a Shyamalan twist for you.

After losing the next election.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Anidav posted:

The prize is a copy of Lazarus Rising Battlelines - signed by Chris Kenny.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Tokamak posted:

There should be a spill, but the new leader should be Turnbull! There's a Shyamalan twist for you.
"IT'S MEEEEEEE, ABBOTT!"

Chris Uhlmann: "OH MY GOD WHO COULD'VE THOUGHT?!?"

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Christensen in charge now!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The flagship ABC radio current affairs programs PM and The World Today will be halved in length next year and Business PM will be axed. Staff have been told the shortened formats will "leave the audience wanting more".

I see that the heads at the ABC have seen the popular comic book The Phantom successfully cut into 4 panels and decided that if you make a show half of the time people will come back wanting more!

Genius, why aren't all shows just 60 seconds then?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

The government has been forced to abandon its plan to drug test Centrelink recipients on Newstart and Youth Allowance, after Labor, the Greens and Nick Xenophon Team refused to lend it their support in the Senate on Monday.

The proposed drug-testing policy, which was set to begin in January 2018, included a two-year trial in three locations for 5,000 new recipients of Newstart and Youth Allowance. Those on Newstart or Youth Allowance who lived in the trial locations and returned "an initial positive drug test" for marijuana, ice, or ecstasy would have their payments downgraded and “quarantined” onto a Cashless Debit Card. If a welfare recipients tested positive a second time, they would be referred to a medical professional.

The Senate crossbench was reluctant to support the model, with most crossbenchers citing the fact that similar drug testing schemes in Canada, the United Kingdom, and New Zealand saw little success. In 2013, a report funded by the Australian Government found drug testing welfare recipients was not only ineffective in curbing drug addictions or helping people find work, but also highly unethical.

One Senator, David Leyonhjelm, felt the scheme didn’t go far enough—he wanted Centrelink recipients to be tested for alcohol, too. Okay.

Numerous experts from organisations including the Youth Support and Advocacy Service, Victorian Alcohol and Drug Association, and Harm Reduction Australia told VICE back in May they thought the Federal Government's proposal wouldn't work.

While the plan is shelved for now, this might not be the last we see of it. Social Services Minister Christian Porter told parliament that he may reintroduce the policy if he finds support for it later on.

Anidav posted:

The flagship ABC radio current affairs programs PM and The World Today will be halved in length next year and Business PM will be axed. Staff have been told the shortened formats will "leave the audience wanting more".

Well you can't argue with that can you

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Hobo Erotica posted:

Well, you are...

I was curious why people were talking about him on Facebook was all and I really don't want to google search him

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I notice Amazon Australia is up and I see virtually no savings on this thing. Most of the prices are number to number exactly the same as JB-Hi-fi and in some cases even more expensive than actual retailers.

I suppose the treat is discount days and coupon codes but with Aussie retailers importing Black Friday and Cyber Monday, is the Amazon launch really as apocalyptic as people said it was going to be for retail?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cartoon posted:

Anidav posted:

The prize is a copy of Lazarus Rising Battlelines All Dogs Go To Heaven - signed by Chris Kenny

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

The prize is a copy of Untamed and Unashamed signed by Pauline Hanson

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Can we test David Leyonhjelm for the presence of a brain cell?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anidav posted:

I notice Amazon Australia is up and I see virtually no savings on this thing. Most of the prices are number to number exactly the same as JB-Hi-fi and in some cases even more expensive than actual retailers.

I suppose the treat is discount days and coupon codes but with Aussie retailers importing Black Friday and Cyber Monday, is the Amazon launch really as apocalyptic as people said it was going to be for retail?

free home delivery tho

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anidav posted:

Apparent Retail Killer Amazon

JB

Big W

:shrug:

Synthbuttrange posted:

free home delivery tho

So now we can be fatter!

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
I don't really recall Big W or JB HiFi kicking up a stink about Amazon to be honest, but this guy did:

e: now to go scrub my history

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah but any good shooper can just pricematch most of this poo poo down to parity.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
Excuse me I was aiming for these goal posts, not those ones

Taking a quick peek through their department store stuff it looks like they've set their pricing at parity with various other online stores. It'll be interesting to see where this goes, especially given the sheer breadth of their range compared to ...basically everywhere else.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

What I mean is any shopper that doesnt pricematch wouldn't take advantage of a fully deployed amazon with coupons and all. Amazon's market at the moment is to net all the bargain hunters and every shitshop and its mom offers free shipping under certain conditions these days. Doing price parity and sitting back probably won't win hearts and minds.

I just feel they haven't done enough at this launch. It's not the tidal wave people were expecting.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

You Am I posted:

"IT'S MEEEEEEE, ABBOTT!"

Chris Uhlmann: "OH MY GOD WHO COULD'VE THOUGHT?!?"

I should have really realised earlier that he is a dead politician.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Prime Minister Uhlmann

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

I just feel they haven't done enough at this launch. It's not the tidal wave people were expecting.

I think it's a case of our media (or whoever) looking at what happened in the US and expecting the exact same thing to happen here.

Except due to the way Amazon changed things in the US ordering from online stores in Australia has been a thing for a while now. Amazon aren't going to be a paradigm shift when we've already shifted.

Also stop reading so many news corp papers because only the Australian and Gerry Harvey were that much in arms about it because they actually hate competition :ssh:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It wasn't so long ago that people were joking derisively about PM Dutton but that poo poo is real and is going to happen so let's just shut the gently caress up about Uhlmann forever okay

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I can't stop reading Newspapers. I actually am required to.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bandaid.friend posted:

Amazon Australia's opened up. On the one hand, it'll be a shame to see a massive multinational price local retailers out of business. On the other hand, I walked into a shop for a new computer part to be told they wouldn't sell it to me unless I bought it with an expensive part I don't need, so that mob specifically can get stuffed

On the gripping hand, some big Australian retailers, Officeworks specifically, are so loving backwards they charge a loving stocking fee if you order something from them.

A lot of stores here really need a kick up the arse to move into the modern world.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Amazon prices will drop a little bit once the site is properly populated with items and the hourly sales begin.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

One Senator, David Leyonhjelm, felt the scheme didn’t go far enough—he wanted Centrelink recipients to be tested for alcohol, too.

Noted libertarian fuckstain/champion of small government advocates for greater government intervention. I know libertarianism is pretty loving idiotic but at least the true believers will stick to the "gubmint bad" line a lot better than this dickhead. I suppose it makes sense when you realise that small government and lack of rules/regulations should only apply to him in his mind, everyone else should have the full weight of bureaucracy dumped on them. Much like virtually every proponent of the free market too I guess.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
A pile of retailers are expected to fall over after Christmas regardless of Amazon, but I fully expect the media to crap on about the Amazon bogeyman rather than terrible wage growth and sky high retail rents.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Think Amazon is just doing third party sales at the moment. Probably just wanted to be running with something before Christmas.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Nibbles! posted:

Think Amazon is just doing third party sales at the moment.

Not unless they let a third party seller call themselves Amazon AU.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-05/turnbull-announces-foreign-interference-laws/9227514

quote:

Foreign political donations will be banned and those trying to influence Australian politics on behalf of other nations will be forced to declare who they are working for, under new laws.

Finance Minister Mathias Cormann said activist group GetUp! would need to comply with the transparency scheme and the reporting requirements that apply for political parties.
"If GetUp! were to change focus, if they were to stop involvement in political campaigning in the future and become a charity [and] only be involved in non-political activities, then they would be absolutely free to receive and use foreign donations," Senator Cormann said.
A GetUp! spokeswoman told the ABC that 0.5 per cent of its donations have come from overseas since its establishment.
She said 97 per cent of donations last financial year were under $100 and were sourced from 57,149 individuals.

They really don't like GetUp, do they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

I can sense this being a gigantic self own when the libs can no longer accept massive donations from foreign nationals, all to stop a few gofundme dollars going to GetUp

• Locked thread