Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Just an FYI, personally I hate playing lower tiers when a new ship line has just been released. For the last month or so I've just been playing 1-2 games a day when I can just to keep getting the first container each day to try and complete my Yamamot collection but today I tried a few games in the lower tier PA DDs and its not fun at all.

If you can play a gunboat non-PA DD then it could be good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I took out my USS Smith with a 19 point captain and had a blast.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

kaesarsosei posted:

If you can play a gunboat non-PA DD then it could be good though.

That. It's taking seal clubbing to a whole new level.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

They released the Ashitaka and Huanghe pretty much as they were. Amazing. An A hull Amagi that's still dog poo poo even down at T7 and a completely awful cruiser with no range, no DPS, and awful surviveability. I love it.

Don't worry. Next up, we get a BB with no heal. As to the AssediTaka, if it had Amagi Armor or Amagi shells it might be okay. However, it is even more vulnerable to IFHE than the Dunkerque, currently. You would think you would at least get awesome shells, sigma, and/or reload. Nope.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Japanese battleship premiums are out of control!

Gadjah Mada is incredibly good except in the following scenarios:
1 CV 3 radar ships
2 CV 4 radar ships

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

rex rabidorum vires posted:

They released the Ashitaka and Huanghe pretty much as they were. Amazing. An A hull Amagi that's still dog poo poo even down at T7 and a completely awful cruiser with no range, no DPS, and awful surviveability. I love it.

I mean... At least they didn't make more OP premiums? Since they made them dogshit I feel no need to spend any money on them, which is nice with Christmas coming up.

Fizzil posted:

I got a super container expecting more credits, but i just got Juliet Charlie flags?! I thought they removed that super container.

Quite the opposite, they removed credits from super containers.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I mean I don't really care about the Ashitaka because lol whatever it's a BB just point guns at CA and hope. The Huanghe though could be a unique little thing if it could be a DD hunter, but it has none of the tools it needs to be able to do that so it's released as the trash fire that it is. Give it good detection, high RoF, some decent hydro, and then maybe hide the citadel a bit or something. Boom interesting/unique CA that's capable of filling a niche without breaking anything.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
The low tiers are such a loving LongJam right now, its amazing. Any non-PA DD playing at those tiers is cleaning up due to the deepwater torpedoes. Low tier BBs are going to be unplayable this weekend.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

squidflakes posted:

The low tiers are such a loving LongJam right now, its amazing. Any non-PA DD playing at those tiers is cleaning up due to the deepwater torpedoes.

Now that you mention it, it has been a while since I played Clemson. :getin:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

bloom posted:

Now that you mention it, it has been a while since I played Clemson. :getin:

Didn't flamu say specifically on how the t4 pa-dd is waay better than the clemson?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

squidflakes posted:

The low tiers are such a loving LongJam right now, its amazing. Any non-PA DD playing at those tiers is cleaning up due to the deepwater torpedoes. Low tier BBs are going to be unplayable this weekend.
I wrecked low tiers with the PA DDs. Sure, you can't torp other DDs, but the guns are loving terrifying.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
The tier 4 PA *is* good even verses a Clemson (non-seal clubbing Clemson maybe). The the tier 2 and 3 have terrible shell velocity and long reloads and without being to torp DDs they get into trouble when there's a DD gunfight. Verses cruisers and BBs though, they are amazing.

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:

Twigand Berries posted:

Picked this up on steam. If anybody is willing to give a few tips for someone who poopsocked WoT in beta and release it'd be appreciated. I've been known to shed some disposable income on this poo poo so basically what premiums should I get, what's a good line to focus on from the start? (i didn't much care for artillery in tanks, so probably will pass on carriers)

So uh, I'm just seeing this. On Steam? Why the hell can I not merge my account. Just ... jesus

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

There's a workaround if you want to try it.

Femennenly posted:

So World of Warships released on Steam today however you can't log in your original account. A simple file rename will allow this however so that you can log into any account through Steam.

Simply, go to the file location of the Steam download, for me it was: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\World of Warships

Find the file named "steam_api.dll" and rename it to whatever you like, for example: "whatever.dll"

Relaunch the game, click your preferred server, allow the game to load and you should be presented with the normal log in options. It should be noted all your settings will be reset.

This exploit will allow you to clock game time through steam using your main account, and patch through Steam, beyond that however I'm not sure what else will be tracked.

Edit for Clarity: People complained because it wasn't do-able, so I present you a way to do it. Do it or not, doesn't phase me, just giving you the information for it if you choose to do it.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Catpants McStabby posted:

So uh, I'm just seeing this. On Steam? Why the hell can I not merge my account. Just ... jesus

Same reason the game doesn't support proper UI scaling: good programming is hard.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So in the absence of anyone more competent I'm starting the clan battles group tonight.

May god have mercy on our souls.

EDIT: Yup bad idea.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 3, 2017

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Go forth and prosper.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

wdarkk posted:

So in the absence of anyone more competent I'm starting the clan battles group tonight.

May god have mercy on our souls.

EDIT: Yup bad idea.

yeah i uhh
ate some meat my aunt cooked

bad idea

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Sperglord Actual posted:

Same reason the game doesn't support proper UI scaling: good programming is hard.

It's financial. Steam takes a 30% cut from the steam account purchases.

BlackDesert Online did the same thing and I'm sure plenty of other companies do it this way.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i think the rng hates me today. a shell set me on fire and i repaired. on my return volley every shell missed due to dispersion. another shell then set me on fire again

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Fiji seems good without any upgrades or mods.. firing rate is a little slow but that's battlecrusier right?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

demonR6 posted:

Fiji seems good without any upgrades or mods.. firing rate is a little slow but that's battlecrusier right?

Battlecruiser, hell. That thing plays like a jacked up DD with a citadel.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

demonR6 posted:

The Fiji is amazing and is definately the high-point of the RN cruiser line in terms of how it compares to its peers, and matchmaking. I could argue its the best tech-tree cruiser (per tier) in the game to be honest.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i popped into the pan asian line to see what its like to have some decent ranged torpedoes (i dont have any ships above rank 3 so this is all low tier)

id probably do better just playing stealthier and doing more short ranged runs but drat if getting a full spread on to an inattentive cruiser from outside secondary range aint a good feeling

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

demonR6 posted:

Battlecruisers are more like the Graf Spee, closer to a battleship without the armor. Or if you want a more rounded example, the USS Alaska.

Fiji, and really the entire RN line is more like a cruiser that pretends (quite successfully really) to be a destroyer. You are correct though, the Fiji is a pretty solid ship out of the gate. I'd pass on the torpedo upgrade unless you're very definitely sure you want to keep it long-term, 1 million credits and I forget how much XP for like 430 more damage isn't really worth it IMO.

Edit: This is quite possibly the tightest my rear end in a top hat has ever been while playing this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f9QSn8SbAc

Rorac fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 4, 2017

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Agean90 posted:

i popped into the pan asian line to see what its like to have some decent ranged torpedoes (i dont have any ships above rank 3 so this is all low tier)

id probably do better just playing stealthier and doing more short ranged runs but drat if getting a full spread on to an inattentive cruiser from outside secondary range aint a good feeling

Watch Flamu's video's on Pan Asia, the spotting range for the torps is absurd. (Which is weird given the Japan destroyer nerfs).

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Kind of bullshit that BB AP can do so much damage to DDs. Chances are I'm spotted if I close to torpedo range, and then the BB AP fun begins.

If you point straight at the BB, you might ( will ) get hit, but every hit is guaranteed to be full pen. If you go sideways, you will definitely get hit a lot more, but some might be overpens.

Piss.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

EDIT:

OK, so if we want to have any hope of actually succeeding in clan battles we need Hazdoc/shepherd to train someone else to call games, and a set of good positioning plans we can use.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 4, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
So the Duke of York is a KGV with no heal but with Hydro and Def fire. Yeah, I think I'll pass :confused:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I just got given something called an Okhotnik for 3 days. Is this tied to some mission or is WG just throwing random gold boats at you now?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

bloom posted:

I just got given something called an Okhotnik for 3 days. Is this tied to some mission or is WG just throwing random gold boats at you now?

Throwing random gold boats to get you to buy. The Okhotnik is a good gimmick boat that excels at murdering other DDs. However, it is long and slow to turn, so it doesn't do the whole DD dancing thing very well.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
There's a Scharnhorst as well now. They really want you to buy stuff huh.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
so I had a game with three of us at tier 7, our DD was being a potato and was sailing away from enemy ships just as he would have been useful. We inevitably lose the game, I get back to port and find this being aimed at me:

and yes, I did report him.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
LoL, he hides his stats. What he had before he hid it wasn't pretty.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
loving baffling. Is he suggesting you stay at tier 3 until you grind out captain skills? Or just that you suck so hard you shouldn't go above 3?

Neither makes sense. The former is insane and the latter doesn't work because even if you were that bad, game play changes so much as you climb the ranks that eternal tier 3 wouldn't teach you poo poo.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

:laffo: WG is trying the Shima with options for torpedo reload booster and deep water torps.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Those deep water torps should have been the Japanese gimmicks from the start. In context with the wakeless Type 93 torps it would make perfect sense historically....

...and then make them really explodey if they get hit by a shell....for even more historical accuracy.....:japan:

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 5, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wdarkk posted:

:laffo: WG is trying the Shima with options for torpedo reload booster and deep water torps.

20km torpedoes with deepwater detection range and reload booster sounds sufficiently hilarious it might actually cut my current hiatus short.

Of course, since it's still the IJN DD line they'll probably just nerf it in some way again instead to make the line even more pointless.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

20km torpedoes with deepwater detection range and reload booster sounds sufficiently hilarious it might actually cut my current hiatus short.

Of course, since it's still the IJN DD line they'll probably just nerf it in some way again instead to make the line even more pointless.

They can't damage cruisers so it's sort of pre-nerfed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Hammerstein posted:

...and then make them really explodey if they get hit by a shell....

We should absolutely be able to shoot torpedoes and I am furious that this hasn't been included in the game yet.