Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm watching seasons 13 & 14 just to see where the long fall really starts becoming obvious and I have no life to speak of.

I started watching "Large Marge" and the episode wasn't honestly too bad. I kept wondering about the title of the episode until of course I reached the scene where Marge is accidentally given breast implants. The remaining fifteen minutes of the episode are completely filled with boob jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I wanted to quote the goon that posted about how monodimensional the characters are in the post era but I can't find it. You know, at first I thought it was a mix of we getting old and goon cynicism but holy christ I got the first seasons and just at Season 1 Episode 1 it is AMAZING how charming the Simpsons were, it was refreshing to rediscover that Homer is not a dumb d'oh machine. It's been such a long time since I first saw the Simpsons that I'll have a great time rewatching it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The show didn’t really hit its stride until season 3 but season 1 and 2 are much better than some give it credit for. There’s a lot of heart in some of those episodes.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 22, 2017

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
When you compare both of them to the landscape of television of 1990 it's pretty easy to see why it was such a phenomenon.

Season 1 is quaint and charming in it's simplicity and also kind of shocking that it was seen as a threat to society because it's practically wholesome family entertainment now.

Season 2 is fantastic, probably the most real, grim, and depressing that the show ever gets. It honestly must have been mind-blowing at the time to see the edgy TV show that shook up network TV get deep and emotional just one season later.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Anyone remember the classic episode where Homer and the gang form a band and end up recruiting a beloved sidecharacter who turns out to have an unexpected singing voice?

Season 5 - Homer's Barbershop Quartet: Barney Gumble
Season 26 - Covercraft: Apu

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

The Grandpa hearing aide episode from a few weeks ago was suggested as a decent one so I checked it out.

...I seriously think the episode scrips are just generated by some computer algorithm at this point. How the hell else do you end up with an A, B, AND C plot that each do absolutely nothing, and STILL need padding with a minute long couch gag and unrelated short tagged at the end? The early bad Simpsons episodes may have committed a lot of sins at the time, but at least they followed the basic fundamentals of a coherent script. The C plot was literally that Lisa realizes she made a mistake on a paper she turned in, so she breaks into the school with Bart to correct it. She feels guilty about it and tells Ms. Hoover, who tells her she somehow knew about it and didn't give a poo poo. That's the resolution.

I remember loving the commentary tracks on the DVDs. In the early seasons they always bitch about how FOX kept cutting how long the scripts could be so they could fit more commercials. They always sounded disappoint because they would have to cut entire scenes and jokes and restructure the plot.

Now every other episode has some couch gag that goes on longer than the Family Guy chicken fight in the hopes that it goes viral and teases the actual episode, which won't have a fulfilling ending because they ran out of time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pooch516 posted:

I remember loving the commentary tracks on the DVDs. In the early seasons they always bitch about how FOX kept cutting how long the scripts could be so they could fit more commercials. They always sounded disappoint because they would have to cut entire scenes and jokes and restructure the plot.

Now every other episode has some couch gag that goes on longer than the Family Guy chicken fight in the hopes that it goes viral and teases the actual episode, which won't have a fulfilling ending because they ran out of time.

Yeah, the commentaries say that back then the longer introduction/couch gag indicated a short episode. There was also mentions of a 12% machine that would speed up the episode by 12% so they could squeeze more story into the time limits. Nowadays when I catch my two yearly episodes the couch gag is excruciatingly long, and we all know that more time is allotted to commercials in 2017.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
The stories are so badly paced now. New episodes will have a ridiculous couch gag, then a long build up to get to the point of the episode. That leaves about 7 minutes of plot and a ridiculously abrupt ending.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Some of the good episodes are pretty badly paced too but the jokes make up for it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

SeANMcBAY posted:

The show didn’t really hit its stride until season 3 but season 1 and 2 are much better than some give it credit for. There’s a lot of heart in some of those episodes.

It’s because people look at the crappy animation and Black Smithers and fail to see the show was really sweet and charming it was at times. Bleeding Gums Murphy, Homer having true faults and not “SMRT” absurdness and even the Christmas episode holds up. I mean, nothing beats mid 90s Simpsons but you see a foundation there.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

SeANMcBAY posted:

Some of the good episodes are pretty badly paced too but the jokes make up for it.

This is true but with the good ones, I never noticed until closer reflection. This could also be used as an indicator of when the show really became really unwatchable, when instead of an A and B story you have a first act that is its own entire micro plot that introduces but has no bearing on the second and concluding acts- this really became apparent in Season 12 and 13. It’s a lack of cohesion and bad storytelling, on top of the bad writing followed by stilted voice acting. This is also partly due to the shorter airtime they have for the actual show but they still waste that reduced time with overly long couch gags. RIP Good Simpsons

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Justin Godscock posted:

It’s because people look at the crappy animation and Black Smithers and fail to see the show was really sweet and charming it was at times. Bleeding Gums Murphy, Homer having true faults and not “SMRT” absurdness and even the Christmas episode holds up. I mean, nothing beats mid 90s Simpsons but you see a foundation there.

James l Brooks had a heavy and good influence early on creating a show with a heart

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
This thread made me turn on family guy since I’m at home with the babe anyway. It’s never been half as funny as renaissance simpsons

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just saw the Kamp Krusty sequel last night (having an Every Simpsons Ever randomizer in the FXX app is a hell of a monkey's paw).

The thing that floored me most about it was that they seriously did this joke:

"You don't name a company Microsoft when you're gettin' some!"

I mean ... whoa, fuckin rip roaring wordplay comedy straight outta 1992, god drat

Also my favorite Simpsons "moment" ever, as it has been since I first saw it as a kid, is Homer's bleating scream when he pulls the wad of Otto's hair out of the sink.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Simpson and Delilah is such a good episode

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Jose posted:

Simpson and Delilah is such a good episode

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
going through this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simpsons_(season_2) makes me realise i thought a lot of those were season 3 episodes and they're mostly all great episodes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Justin Godscock posted:

FYI "SMRT" was Dan Castellaneta loving up the line, and they thought it was funny and kept it in.

Jose posted:

going through this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simpsons_(season_2) makes me realise i thought a lot of those were season 3 episodes and they're mostly all great episodes

I actually did too until I bought season 2 on DVD. That reminds me I should invest in seasons 1, 9 and 10 eventually to finally have the full series

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Iron Crowned posted:

FYI "SMRT" was Dan Castellaneta loving up the line, and they thought it was funny and kept it in.

How does that even work? Him screwing up the spelling is like the whole joke of that scene. If he didn't gently caress it up what would the line even have been?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

family guy was never great, but it was decent in its pre-cancellation seasons and its first post-cancellation one because fox had seth macfarlene on a very short leash. once they let him run free and gave him control over a decent chunk of their programming, that's when it became the abomination it is now

at least seth couldn't care less if family guy ends or not. al jean wants the simpsons to continue being a grotesque mockery of its former self

There are people that enjoy and defend that episode where stewy makes brian eat his poo poo and brian talks about killing himself. There are people that actually get into the pathos of family guy, the dumbest show ever that hates all of its own characters and can never even keep the characters acting the same from episode to episode. It is so odd that I don't even know what point I'm trying to make here because I'm not sure I can actually make one

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Data Graham posted:

How does that even work? Him screwing up the spelling is like the whole joke of that scene. If he didn't gently caress it up what would the line even have been?

1) I don't believe that he really hosed up the line, even though that's Simpsons canon. If anything, I'd believe that he always intended to gently caress it up like that but never told anybody before recording.

2) There just wouldn't have been a joke, it would have just been him singing, which would have been amusing on its own.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Data Graham posted:

homer setting the living room on fire

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

By the way, catching up on the thread and I have to LOL at the general opinion a while ago that Homer Badman is "more relevant now than ever".

I mean it's an amazing episode and all, one of the show's best ever to be sure, just for sheer density of top-tier jokes... but I mean yeah, what we need right now is for someone to make a strong statement that sexual harassment is a made-up thing that hysterical women peddle through a complicit muckraking media to drag innocent men's names through the mud

When the episode came out "sexual harassment" was like a brand-new term in the public consciousness, it was a response to the whole Anita Hill thing where we all learned that apparently politicians pronounce it "harris-ment" ... and apparently the Simpsons decided that the way to tackle such a touchy subject was to portray Homer as the victim of fake rape accusations

The show had some pretty buggy takes even in its best moments

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Yeah you’re not wrong. I’ve seen the ‘your tears say more than real evidence ever could’ GIF shared by MRA types.

But it was way ahead of its time in terms of rolling news coverage, and the news basically becoming a bunch of opinions rather than facts.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That entire segment was so good, and I watched it on youtube the other day and laughed my rear end off but then I saw the comments and it was majority MRA dudes bitching about everything

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jose posted:

we've been saying that for a while, dum dum

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Aesop Poprock posted:

There are people that enjoy and defend that episode where stewy makes brian eat his poo poo and brian talks about killing himself. There are people that actually get into the pathos of family guy, the dumbest show ever that hates all of its own characters and can never even keep the characters acting the same from episode to episode. It is so odd that I don't even know what point I'm trying to make here because I'm not sure I can actually make one

that episode was still better than latter day simpsons.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Data Graham posted:

By the way, catching up on the thread and I have to LOL at the general opinion a while ago that Homer Badman is "more relevant now than ever".

I mean it's an amazing episode and all, one of the show's best ever to be sure, just for sheer density of top-tier jokes... but I mean yeah, what we need right now is for someone to make a strong statement that sexual harassment is a made-up thing that hysterical women peddle through a complicit muckraking media to drag innocent men's names through the mud

When the episode came out "sexual harassment" was like a brand-new term in the public consciousness, it was a response to the whole Anita Hill thing where we all learned that apparently politicians pronounce it "harris-ment" ... and apparently the Simpsons decided that the way to tackle such a touchy subject was to portray Homer as the victim of fake rape accusations

The show had some pretty buggy takes even in its best moments

To be fair, the episode goes out of it's way to avoid demonizing Homer's accuser and makes the whole thing a horrible but inevitable misunderstanding. It's more about the media hysteria then the sexual harassment.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, the accuser comes off pretty okay; it's everybody else in the whole media circus (including all the other women standing with her in solidarity) who don't.

The turn of brilliance in the episode for me though is how they took the Rock-Bottom-edited "grab that sweet can—swee-swee-sweeeeet can" soundbite and evolved it instantly into a catchphrase of fictional Homer: "Time to grab me some sweet. :smuggo:"

Instant memeification in remix culture, predicted 20 years in advance by the Simpsons. *cranks up the Crazy Old Man Singers*

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

It's also worth noting, that Homer's defense in that Episode, that he was grabbing a Gummi Venus de Milo off of her rear end, isn't really a good defense. It just makes him stupid instead of malicious.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Data Graham posted:

They used to often let the voice actors just ad-lib and if it was funny they used it. The original joke is that he's burning down the house but too busy gloating to notice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhrfhjLd9e4

See also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQz4sk6kuhw

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The latest episode has a callback to Season 3's "Stark Raving Dad." Bart shows up with the white Michael Jackson to sing more verses to the Lisa's birthday song, including a line from an MJ impersonator.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, the accuser comes off pretty okay; it's everybody else in the whole media circus (including all the other women standing with her in solidarity) who don't.

The turn of brilliance in the episode for me though is how they took the Rock-Bottom-edited "grab that sweet can—swee-swee-sweeeeet can" soundbite and evolved it instantly into a catchphrase of fictional Homer: "Time to grab me some sweet. :smuggo:"

Instant memeification in remix culture, predicted 20 years in advance by the Simpsons. *cranks up the Crazy Old Man Singers*

I've actually been thinking about this episode a lot, probably one of the best sendups of lovely sensationalist infotainment programming but even as a kid I never thought the accuser was some stinking whore, it was clearly all a misunderstanding.

you can't really do an episode like that today because on the one hand people would complain it's making light of actual sexual harassment and painting all accusers as liars and attention whores and then incels on the other doing the "yeah Simpsons telling those SJW whores what for" and "actually you need high intelligence to understand simpsons" thing

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

PostNouveau posted:

The latest episode has a callback to Season 3's "Stark Raving Dad." Bart shows up with the white Michael Jackson to sing more verses to the Lisa's birthday song, including a line from an MJ impersonator.

not sure if real

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
In all seriousness is there any episode this season worth watching

for someone who has long since abandoned it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

In all seriousness is there any episode this season worth watching

for someone who has long since abandoned it

This season's sucked the whole way through.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MissEchelon posted:

not sure if real
I just looked it up. It's real. :stare:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Why are they suddenly trying to do gimmick direct sequels to 25+ year old episodes. Are the ratings really that bad now?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You know what has to be in the top three worst things about modern Simpsons? Whenever Homer breaks randomly into song.

It’s always these drawn-out, overly “clever” riffs on existing songs played like homer is just ad-libbing new lyrics off the top of his head, like two and three verses of super punny meaningless crap out of nowhere.

I mean an occasional snatch of misheard lyrics in the old days was funny and in character, but this is just like ... wtf

E: oh god and they’re straight up doing amnesia episodes now, kill me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Homers loud-whispering is agonizing too