Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Grey Fox posted:

House bill does this, the version the Senate passed does not

Right, I forgot that bit. I got out of grad school in 2009 (and out of the USA in 2012) so I'm personally in the clear, but I have a lot of friends who are going to be profoundly hosed by that if it becomes a reality. I was talking to someone who JUST got out a few months ago, though, and we were all "hey good news is the job market may get a lot less competitive in a couple years if nobody can afford to get a Ph.D. any more". Gallows humor, but it's all we've got these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The Tampa Bay Police Department hired a fake sign language interpreter for a news conference.

quote:

"Fifty-one hours ago, zero 12 22 (indecipherable) murder three minutes in 14 weeks ago in old (indecipherable) murder four five 55,000 plea 10 arrest murder bush (indecipherable) three age 24."

If only there was a way to do a cursory check on Ms. Derlyn Roberts oh wait i just googled her name

whoops

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Trig Discipline posted:

Right, I forgot that bit. I got out of grad school in 2009 (and out of the USA in 2012) so I'm personally in the clear, but I have a lot of friends who are going to be profoundly hosed by that if it becomes a reality. I was talking to someone who JUST got out a few months ago, though, and we were all "hey good news is the job market may get a lot less competitive in a couple years if nobody can afford to get a Ph.D. any more". Gallows humor, but it's all we've got these days.

Don't get excited about PhD availability in the gutter. We'll just keep importing them like before. At least that's what my place of employment does. The number of homegrown grads is small compared to foreign grads coming in.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Dillbag posted:

The Tampa Bay Police Department hired a fake sign language interpreter for a news conference.

If only there was a way to do a cursory check on Ms. Derlyn Roberts oh wait i just googled her name

whoops

Huh, was the guy from Nelson Mandela's funeral not available?

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Don't act like a big puppy when you have to get a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T73MrS-oTYg&t=55s

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Mama duck and ducklings don't even look back.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BovineFury posted:

Don't act like a big puppy when you have to get a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T73MrS-oTYg&t=55s

I notice (s)he made a beeline to the vet techs after the owner wasn't reacting the way they wanted. Vet techs, you're rewarding the behavior and making it worse! :colbert:

A little later is my favorite. Mastiff Rodeo!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

This reminds me of a story I heard about a leader of a church youth group. He took the kids out to a lake to demonstrate how one would fish with a net the way that Jesus and the apostles would have done in their time.

Unbeknownst to him, it was super illegal without the correct licensing and he got caught by game and fish and got levied a fantastically huge fine. Oops!

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Fail army best fails of the year (so far)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDhVJfEFxik

Fail army, "watch out johnny!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxZmWuib_Bk

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Mama duck and ducklings don't even look back.
"loving amateurs :rolleyes:"

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

They just couldn't help themselves, could they? They couldn't just say, "We can't comment on this issue."

How does this keep happening?

Applicant: I can totally do sign language. I've been doing sign language for, like, fifty years. Everyone at my house does sign language. [Waves hands in random circles, makes potentially rude gestures]
Interviewer: You're hired.
Interviewer's brain: Heh, heh. She has no idea I couldn't read what she was saying.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Because people keep not checking for job-relevant certification.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

They just couldn't help themselves, could they? They couldn't just say, "We can't comment on this issue."

Applicant: I can totally do sign language. I've been doing sign language for, like, fifty years. Everyone at my house does sign language. [Waves hands in random circles, makes potentially rude gestures]
Interviewer: You're hired.
Interviewer's brain: Heh, heh. She has no idea I couldn't read what she was saying.

I surprised the deaf haven't gone to the internet wondering about the sudden outbreak in glossolalia.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Maleh-Vor posted:

He wanted to go to a broccoli farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7yMZGA2lzg

A brocoli farm invited them over though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hswdDZgcwHA

This kid is the best. Millions of people have gone to the circus, but how many kids can say they've stood in a field of nothing but broccoli as far as the eye can see? Chicks dig guys who've had cool life experiences like that.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Humphreys posted:

EDIT 2: Schaden is on me actually watching cricket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAvppR-rgeY

I'm sorry for bringing up cricket again but what happened when there was a no ball ruling there? The score they had to get went down by a bunch, is that a penalty?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Aerdan posted:

Because people keep not checking for job-relevant certification.

I figured something like that had to exist. It's both hilarious and a little disturbing that this particular weird thing seems to keep happening.

Proteus Jones posted:

I surprised the deaf haven't gone to the internet wondering about the sudden outbreak in glossolalia.

"She's speaking in hands!"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

"She's speaking in hands!"

Holy poo poo.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

canyoneer posted:

This reminds me of a story I heard about a leader of a church youth group. He took the kids out to a lake to demonstrate how one would fish with a net the way that Jesus and the apostles would have done in their time.

Unbeknownst to him, it was super illegal without the correct licensing and he got caught by game and fish and got levied a fantastically huge fine. Oops!

He was probably using gill nets. They are very illegal so gently caress that guy.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
https://i.imgur.com/pcsYLEy.mp4

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
perfect.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

play stupid games win stupid prizes

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Punxsutawney is famous for their yearly Groundhog Day ritual in the USA, but there are several other towns that have notable groundhogs trotted out for the special day. One of them is Jimmy from the town of Sun Prairie. In 2015, the mayor of the town held a speech after Jimmy gave his forecast. For some reason, Jimmy was held up near the mayor's face during it.

Groundhogs are cat-sized, naturally aggressive, and have teeth like this:

So the inevitable happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZdIYAHtYNE&t=27s

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mizuti posted:

Punxsutawney is famous for their yearly Groundhog Day ritual in the USA, but there are several other towns that have notable groundhogs trotted out for the special day. One of them is Jimmy from the town of Sun Prairie. In 2015, the mayor of the town held a speech after Jimmy gave his forecast. For some reason, Jimmy was held up near the mayor's face during it.

Groundhogs are cat-sized, naturally aggressive, and have teeth like this:

So the inevitable happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZdIYAHtYNE&t=27s

Eh, just do it differently next time.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Wow, the vet reaction video.. starting at 3m37s, if the cat wasn't white, I would have thought I filmed it.

That is exactly how my cat reacts when at the vet. It takes 3-4 people to hold her down. The neck trick doesn't work on her.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

stevewm posted:

Wow, the vet reaction video.. starting at 3m37s, if the cat wasn't white, I would have thought I filmed it.

That is exactly how my cat reacts when at the vet. It takes 3-4 people to hold her down. The neck trick doesn't work on her.

My female Maine Coon had to be sedated. In fact there was a MUST SEDATE in her file since she took a (small) chunk out of a vet tech when she was 3 years old. Maine Coons can do some serious damage when they get pissed off. Plus that amount of stress just isn't good for the animal, in general.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 03:05 on Dec 5, 2017

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Trig Discipline posted:

They removed exemptions for tuition waivers (and fellowships?), which will cause grad students to have to pay hefty taxes on money they literally never had. It will make grad school far more expensive and probably keep some people from going at all.

Don't be surprised. The uneducated are far easier to manipulate.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Proteus Jones posted:

My female Maine Coon had to be sedated. In fact there was a MUST SEDATE in her file since she took a (small) chunk out of a vet tech when she was 3 years old. Coons can do some serious damage when they get pissed off. Plus that amount of stress just isn't good for the animal, in general.

this poo poo makes me glad my cat is awesome. When he's in a cat carrier he makes the most pitiful noises, but once he's out and allowed to chill on the vet table he doesn't care. He'll even just lay there and let the vet pet him. Half the time he had to get shots, he didn't even realize until she'd already jabbed him. He does not appreciate getting a thermometer up the rear end though. Nor does he like having his claws trimmed, it's taken a while but he finally puts up with it just because he gets treats afterwards.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

MNIMWA posted:

I'm sorry for bringing up cricket again but what happened when there was a no ball ruling there? The score they had to get went down by a bunch, is that a penalty?
One of the video comments explained it, basically there were a bunch of wide bowls edited out. Wides also don't count against the remaining balls but do add to the run score.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

My female Maine Coon had to be sedated. In fact there was a MUST SEDATE in her file since she took a (small) chunk out of a vet tech when she was 3 years old. Coons can do some serious damage when they get pissed off. Plus that amount of stress just isn't good for the animal, in general.

i'm just imagining that third sentence being taken out of context

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i'm just imagining that third sentence being taken out of context

:stare:

Fixed. Totally didn't even see that.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/sage-hill-rock-hit-parking-lot-1.4431931

quote:

Drivers can't seem to stop hitting a giant rock in a suburban parking lot, despite it being an inanimate object surrounded by yellow-painted curbs.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I had to click to make sure that wasn’t where I used to live in NC. There was a huge Best Buy parking lot with a rock that size in one of the medians near the exit to another giant parking lot. One day there was a car fully upside down 30 feet from it and no other explanation.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/4/16732952/winklevoss-twins-bitcoin-billionaires-surge

The Winklevoss twins (of Facebook lawsuit fame) now have a billion dollars worth of Bitcoin. I'm still not sure how they are supposed to spend it. I guess they can buy a ton of poo poo on Overstock and Newegg. But yeah investing $11 million into Bitcoin in the early days is either the smartest or dumbest thing the twins have ever done.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/4/16732952/winklevoss-twins-bitcoin-billionaires-surge

The Winklevoss twins (of Facebook lawsuit fame) now have a billion dollars worth of Bitcoin. I'm still not sure how they are supposed to spend it. I guess they can buy a ton of poo poo on Overstock and Newegg. But yeah investing $11 million into Bitcoin in the early days is either the smartest or dumbest thing the twins have ever done.

My understanding, unless it's changed in the last handful of years, is that these companies/websites don't even touch Bitcoin. There's a middle-man processor that takes the Buttcoins and hands them USD. Is that still true?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Croccers posted:

My understanding, unless it's changed in the last handful of years, is that these companies/websites don't even touch Bitcoin. There's a middle-man processor that takes the Buttcoins and hands them USD. Is that still true?

Every major company that accepts bitcoins uses a bitcoin exchange to turn it into real money, yes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Are people buying Bitcoin in such amounts that it's actually possible to offload $1 billion worth and turn it into cash in a reasonable timeframe?

Also, would selling a billion dollars of Bitcoin cause it to noticeably depreciate in value?

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
https://i.imgur.com/OHbrV4J.gifv

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

According to a guy at work who is really into cryptocurrencies but also seems somewhat realistic about them (at least to the extent that those two statements are compatible), you could -- with the market in the state it is right now -- convert about $10,000 worth of bitcoin into USD per day without running into problems. He says that none of the marketplaces or w/e they're called have enough USD available to cover much more than that.

So no, the Winkelvosses aren't going to be able to turn that into real money any time soon, unless they find an extremely stupid billionaire who's willing to pay enormous amounts of real money for fake internet money.

I wonder if they've hit up Notch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

chitoryu12 posted:

Are people buying Bitcoin in such amounts that it's actually possible to offload $1 billion worth and turn it into cash in a reasonable timeframe?

Also, would selling a billion dollars of Bitcoin cause it to noticeably depreciate in value?

I mean, the biggest issue would be finding a distributor/exchange that has over a billion, which... I severely doubt exists in any legitimate form.

So they'd have to cash out through a ton of distributors... And if they start doing it all at once, yeah, it'd probably start spooking everyone else into thinking that poo poo is about to hit the fan and doing a run on the exchange as well while they still can.

So, yet more of a lesson on why we put in all those rules and regulations on banks in the wake of the Great Depression.