Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Pomp posted:

Or freeze tag, or instagib, or any other dozen modes that appeal to casual players and would actually keep the game alive.

I jumped into do4m mp for what was meant to be 5 minutes to see if they ever changed anything and ended up in there for a few hours because it has a ton of modes it cycles through that I missed dearly.

edit:the reason i actually came into the thread https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyi-GsqzBcA&t=704s

You realize that when you introduce other places for people to play within a game, they stop playing in the places that already exist? One might argue adding all these game modes is just going to make the current population worse.

Of course, I'm part of the problem. I haven't played this in months, and I don't miss it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Essobie posted:

You realize that when you introduce other places for people to play within a game, they stop playing in the places that already exist? One might argue adding all these game modes is just going to make the current population worse.

Of course, I'm part of the problem. I haven't played this in months, and I don't miss it. :(

This is the age of everything being in big dumbfuck playlists, we can force everyone to play freeze tag.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Bring back Capturestrike.

BTW whatever happened to Threewave?

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

amitlu posted:

Bring back Capturestrike.

BTW whatever happened to Threewave?

Contract industry work to out of business.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Threewave-CTF-Multiplayer-Mod-Quake,9214.html

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

The guy they mention in that article, Zoid, now works at Valve on DotA 2. He's also a Goon and his avatar picture is the McKinley Revival (q2ctf1) logo with the Red and Blue team logos.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

:420: :smith: :420:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
really stoked for the double whammy of doomguy salt this month when berserk isn't busted as gently caress and and a functioning lg let's anyone laugh at their attempts to double jump all the time forever

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Pomp posted:

really stoked for the double whammy of doomguy salt this month when berserk isn't busted as gently caress and and a functioning lg let's anyone laugh at their attempts to double jump all the time forever

same, also eagerly anticipating 'performance fixes'. I'm getting random -40fps hitches on an i5 4570 + gtx 1080 (which reduces for a couple days to -20fps if i do the" delete the qc folder in %localappdata%" trick.) whether i'm running on low or ultra makes no difference and my cpu is maxing out on all cores. i keep hearing "this game is very processor intensive!" but i can't see how it would be that much more demanding than QL unless it's offloading rendering tasks to the cpu (which would be almost as dumb as having damage ticks and upload bandwidth tied to framerate, derp.)

not sure how i feel about the upcoming anarki/slash speed nerfs either. I'd rather they just made their hitboxes a tiny bit more forgiving and let them keep their speed but whatevs, I mainly play visor to counter annoying nyxes and corner peeking sorlags :p.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I am literally waiting until classic mode is released since all of my steam buddies refuse to touch the game until the class abilities/stats are removed.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ChickenHeart posted:

I am literally waiting until classic mode is released since all of my steam buddies refuse to touch the game until the class abilities/stats are removed.

all of my friends doing this play overwatch instead, which is baffling

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Pomp posted:

“I hate abilities and heroes!” Plays the swingiest ability centric hero shooter there is.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Pomp posted:

its almost like they're incapable of forming their own opinions and just do and say exactly what their peers do.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I'll give them credit, that's far less boring than what I'm doing. Sitting here and hoping some company comes to their senses and makes an arena game that doesn't suck.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Xenaero posted:

I'll give them credit, that's far less boring than what I'm doing. Sitting here and hoping some company comes to their senses and makes an arena game that doesn't suck.

Ratz is pretty good (and currently 90% off): http://store.steampowered.com/app/338170/Ratz_Instagib/

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Xenaero posted:

*remembers nexuiz, warsow, xonotic, reflex, shootmania, toxikk, cube 2, quetoo, diabotical, master arena, leap of champions, kwari, doombringer, world of padman, sauerbraten, insight, wickland, alien arena and lawbreakers*

*is skeleton with insanely long white beard*

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
shootmania loving blew chunks

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
can't wait to add diabotical to the pile of games with 5 concurrent players while i try to find a QL game that isn't 32 man ffa or clan arena

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Jose Mengelez posted:

*remembers nexuiz, warsow, xonotic, reflex, shootmania, toxikk, cube 2, quetoo, diabotical, master arena, leap of champions, kwari, doombringer, world of padman, sauerbraten, insight, wickland, alien arena and lawbreakers*

You got me. A lot of those were fun, but still paled in comparison to the Quake giant. Reflex is a fantastic title in the current void we're experiencing, I'll give you that. I shoulda emphasized that I want it to take over the gaming world again. The tiny communities are okay (if existent at all after 6 months) but man trying to bring in new blood is a chore.

I suppose it's trivial to make an arena game that's fun, compared to the monumental task of it catching on to the "GAMING POPULACE"

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Quake and/or UT are pretty much the only thing with the brand power to get a good amount of people for an arena shooter in this day and age. Reflex is great but it's tiny community is only top tier players which keeps it tiny.

The classes and abilities in QC were supposed to bring in new blood but it's still the same old assholes from the deathmatch community, so it was a waste and they could have just made a straight arena shooter without any of that stuff.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Jose Mengelez posted:

If/when Champions bites the dust I think pretty much QL clan arena will be the only way to shoot a rocket and bunny hop.

Reflex looks fun but I never bought it cause of the no players thing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Xenaero posted:

You got me. A lot of those were fun, but still paled in comparison to the Quake giant. Reflex is a fantastic title in the current void we're experiencing, I'll give you that. I shoulda emphasized that I want it to take over the gaming world again. The tiny communities are okay (if existent at all after 6 months) but man trying to bring in new blood is a chore.

Quake itself was a bunch of little communities. Everyone was playing the same executable, but a lot of people in QuakeWorld were playing TF or Rocket Arena or CTF regularly with little switching. Quake II was all about CS and Action, mods like Jailbreak or Gloom had tiny little communites like the endless list of games did. Things aren't too different now, except that mod makers can make some money because they stopped being mod makers and became indie game developers instead. And that huge variety of gameplay styles isn't going to show up under just one application because not only do people like progression and queues over ephemeral scoreboard wins and server browsers, but people also have a desire for balance now so something like Q1DM won't cut it unless you simply get rid of spinning weapon pickups and let people choose what they want to spawn with every time. It's not perfect, the "MMR queueing" poo poo annoys me because I like being able to play a DM against an expert and think it makes you better, but we've replaced a shitload with mods with a shitload of games.

The only thing that makes me sad is that people didn't get to play online the select few mods that did some really crazy stuff but never got any play because they were too ambitious to work with Quakeworld's dial-up friendly netcode.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Pomp posted:

while i try to find a QL game that isn't 32 man ffa or clan arena

Social Animal posted:

QL clan arena will be the only way to shoot a rocket and bunny hop.

*a single tear rolls down tim willit's cheek*

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

RA3 was really the closest Quake came to being a more mainstream friendly game that isn't full of grognards. I'm still sad RA3 died off when QL hit, even years after being 'serious' about Quake it was worth having it installed because you could jump into a bunch of active servers at any time and just shoot poo poo.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Who's the new guy?

Also, is this game multi-core-processor friendly? Got an Intel i9 18 core don't know how well itll run alongside the GTX1080.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It's Keel from Q3

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Pomp posted:

shootmania loving blew chunks

ShootMania and Mania Planet were so bad that they killed QuestMania and severely damaged TrackMania to the point where it barely exists any more. What an awful game.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
So Keel is the Doom Revenant. Seems like you can shoot the should mounted launcher twice.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I thought he was getting a grenade launcher.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Patch notes released: https://quake.bethesda.net/en/news/5FspmmWh8ckIMcIaEsisa?utm_source=SocialMedia&utm_medium=bitly

They added run acceleration to all heroes except Visor. Clutch can now dodge after each landing so he will get to 1200 ups super fast I assume.

Also other stuff!

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

sensy v2.0 posted:

Patch notes released: https://quake.bethesda.net/en/news/5FspmmWh8ckIMcIaEsisa?utm_source=SocialMedia&utm_medium=bitly

They added run acceleration to all heroes except Visor. Clutch can now dodge after each landing so he will get to 1200 ups super fast I assume.

Also other stuff!

cant get on, servers seem to be down (error code 1201) :smith:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Decided to pick up the QC comics and they're decent for promotional material.

Hopefully, they'll finally explain how everyone is getting constantly respawned over and over.

Still waiting for my new rig but until then I'm guessing the patch will be fully out and ready.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Hopefully, they'll finally explain how everyone is getting constantly respawned over and over.
Never explain respawning. Ever. Otherwise you get Unreal Tournament 3. Do you want Unreal Tournament 3, Kitchener?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

The Kins posted:

Never explain respawning. Ever. Otherwise you get Unreal Tournament 3. Do you want Unreal Tournament 3, Kitchener?

Okay, completely disregard that question. Now, please let me forget UT3.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
still getting massive framedrops on full servers regardless of detail settings (slightly less frequently though), still maxing out all four cores of my i5. can jump around an empty map on ultra settings with no drops now though, so that's something.

fully working LG is nice as hell though and keel's a lot of fun to play.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Keel is a cool character. Really defensive and probably useful for certain modes like Gahena.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Should they put rocket speeds back to QL speeds or what?

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Jose Mengelez posted:

still getting massive framedrops on full servers regardless of detail settings (slightly less frequently though), still maxing out all four cores of my i5. can jump around an empty map on ultra settings with no drops now though, so that's something.

fully working LG is nice as hell though and keel's a lot of fun to play.

I was going to post the same thing, I'm on a 7700k at 5ghz and a 1080 Ti and this thing at "High" on 3440 is dropping to 20fps at moments. Zero titles I've ever played have done this.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

I'm going to say that after owning and playing UT3 a bunch I never got to that explanation and then forgot everything about that game like a few months after release. Now my broken brain wants to research about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Guillermus posted:

I'm going to say that after owning and playing UT3 a bunch I never got to that explanation and then forgot everything about that game like a few months after release. Now my broken brain wants to research about that.

The flags in CTF powered a respawn machine. You shut down the other teams machine by capturing enough flags. It was something like that, anyways.