Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

oliwan posted:

One of the things that makes berlin the best city in the world is that Uber is not allowed and that the public transport is so amazing that you will never need a cab. Also it runs 24/7.

(airbnb is also not allowed which rules)

I would extremely take a job in Berlin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lawman 0 posted:

would you really want to be in the same city as oliwan

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Lawman 0 posted:

if you live in the u.k. you should have started looking a year ago lol

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

if you live in the u.k. you should have started looking a year ago lol

Us of A btich

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
RIP britain

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

what’s it got to do with black cabs

read the posts before you reply to to find out I guess

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

lol if you think the tube and london buses - the actual public transport - are in any competition with uber

you think that if Uber does get barred from London their clientele will all move to vastly more expensive black cabs instead of transport they can actually afford?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Blair is genuinely deranged by Corbyn, isn't he

corbyn keeps trying to get him locked up for war crimes whenever he shows his face and blair just can;t handle that

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

oliwan posted:

One of the things that makes berlin the best city in the world is that Uber is not allowed and that the public transport is so amazing that you will never need a cab. Also it runs 24/7.
It's also extremely walkable - as in, there are a lot of ways to get around the city that's basically walking in areas which are actually worth taking a walk in, even if you're not going anywhere. In conclusion, getting bombed to pieces and then having a wall built right down the middle of your city is actually a great way to make it livable, so the Brexit team might be on to something.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Jose posted:

i'm glad british politics decided to get funny again

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

don’t look a gifted horse in the mouth

what does mike pence have to do with this?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

augias posted:

True but riding a bike on all that cobblestone really sucked so i dont wanna go back.

E: when did airbnb get banned because my gf got an airbnb in berlin in july.

Yeah, it's getting a lot better for bikes though!

Airbnb has been banned forever, but you are still allowed to rent out a room in a house for a certain amount of time as long as you are also living there at the same time.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah did I talk about rents? Our 65m2 flat in Kreuzberg is €550 all inclusive per month lmao

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yinlock posted:

corbyn keeps trying to get him locked up for war crimes whenever he shows his face and blair just can;t handle that

Can you imagine that, though? Blair locked up for War Crimes? It would be so great.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If T.May hadn't called that snap election nobody would give a poo poo what the northern irish thought about any of this.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Oh hey i got a new avatar! rip rip general anime

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

oliwan posted:

Oh yeah did I talk about rents? Our 65m2 flat in Kreuzberg is €550 all inclusive per month lmao

cons: have to speak german

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bryter posted:

read the posts before you reply to to find out I guess

you think that if Uber does get barred from London their clientele will all move to vastly more expensive black cabs instead of transport they can actually afford?

Minicabs exist and will continue to do so, and the only people who think the actual competition for Uber are black cabs or buses and trains are PR people working for Uber who desperately have to pretend Uber are anything other than a minicab company with very, very expensive PR.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Minicabs exist and will continue to do so, and the only people who think the actual competition for Uber are black cabs or buses and trains are PR people working for Uber who desperately have to pretend Uber are anything other than a minicab company with very, very expensive PR.

Minicab riders don't typically have most of their fare paid by VC funding

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

hakimashou posted:

Oh hey i got a new avatar! rip rip general anime

haahha i thought you were zegermans for a second :twisted:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Bryter posted:

i thought uber london actually generated a profit on paper unlike most of their operations.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Cerv posted:

i thought uber london actually generated a profit on paper unlike most of their operations.

On paper, yes, but in reality the company is structured so that its profits have nothing at all to do with its actual taxi operations

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

A Handed Missus posted:

perfectly normal human bean who will stop brexit

Remember when he cucked Rupert Murdoch?

I laughed so hard that I forgave him a month of Iraq.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's not the only thing that's driven him insane, just the most recent.

I really want to see more politicians have their sanity stripped away as they are dragged along the endless dirt road of the consequences of their decisions

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Isn't Uber's main source of revenue predatory lending?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

sullat posted:

I thought they didn't have revenue, they are more of a ponzi scheme

I mean, this thing got lots of laughs in the aeronautical insanity thread:

Sagebrush posted:

check this out: Uber's new concept for an electric VTOL self-flying taxi that will get you from the Marina to SJ in 15 minutes

Without pulling up the chart, who can name all the regulations this flight path violates? :jeb:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bryter posted:

That would be the very, very expensive PR I mentioned.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

sullat posted:

no, they even managed to gently caress that up and lost millions of dollars

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whorelord posted:

cons: have to speak german

Eh, not really. I speak German but most of my international friends don't (except for a few words). You can live perfectly fine with just English here.

edit: in fact:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/germany-berlin-english-speaking-waiters-minister-jens-spahn-finance-cdu-a7894436.html

'The Independent' posted:

German minister lashes out at English speaking waiters in Berlin
Globalisation and immigration have made speaking German a political issue

A German minister has criticised Berlin’s restaurant staff for speaking English and not German.

Jens Spahn, a deputy finance minister, spoke out against the increasing use of English in Germany and specifically attacked those who worked in the country despite being unable to speak the language.

Speaking to Neue Osnabrücker Zeitung newspaper he said: “It drives me up the wall the way waiters in Berlin restaurants only speak English.

“Co-existence can only work in Germany if we all speak German. We can and should expect this from every immigrant.

“You would never find this kind of madness in Paris.”

The minister, who sits on the right wing of Angela Merkel’s Christian Democratic Union Party, is the latest public figure to join the debate about the prominence of the German language. Speaking good English is part of the German education system and lessons for children start in primary school.

Fashionable areas in Berlin like Mitte and Prenzlauer Berg have drawn American and English expats for years and bar and restaurant staff are often recruited from across Europe.

However, this has led to many establishments advertising their menus exclusively in English and hiring staff who speak only limited German.

Dominik Drutschmann wrote an article in Tagesspiegel about a visit to a restaurant in Neukölln where none of the four waiters spoke German.

Drutschmann wrote: “You shouldn’t be ostracised from Berlin life just because you can’t speak English very well.”

The German government recently made it compulsory for asylum seekers to learn German. Those who don't can lose their benefits and right to live there permanently. The rule, however, does not apply to EU citizens.

lmao at this dud of course.

oliwan has issued a correction as of 09:29 on Dec 5, 2017

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

sullat posted:

Who do they lend to?

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Remember when he cucked Rupert Murdoch?

I laughed so hard that I forgave him a month of Iraq.

???

I have to know more

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Regular cabs aren't expensive, but rather Uber is unrealistically cheap.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

tarbrush posted:

Who do they lend to?

Poor people w/o cars who want to drive Uber in their spare time. They charge 20-30% interest, with all payments going to the vig first.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Handed Missus posted:

???

I have to know more

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3468530/Blair-s-secret-night-Rupert-Murdoch-s-infatuated-wife-led-divorce-media-mogul-it.html

Shikantaza
Sep 10, 2016
https://twitter.com/ed_miliband/status/937960558170689537

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

hahahahaha oh my loving god :lol::barf:

quote:

‘He has such a good body and he had his really, really good legs Butt [sic] . . . and he is slim tall and good skin. Pierce blue eyes which I love. Love his eyes. Also I love his power on the stage . . . and what else what else what else . . .’

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/AidanKerrTweets/status/937816363485356032

https://twitter.com/Ed_Miliband/sta...n-politics-live

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

oliwan posted:

Eh, not really. I speak German but most of my international friends don't (except for a few words). You can live perfectly fine with just English here.

edit: in fact:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/germany-berlin-english-speaking-waiters-minister-jens-spahn-finance-cdu-a7894436.html

lmao at this dud of course.

They lost the war doesn't he realize that? Its why people speak English and not German.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
is that the bacon sandwich dude?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
because that is one spicy bacon sandwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012