Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
The dog can’t eat the food off the floor, what is he some kind of loving animal

Use this solid gold plate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I like how homeless folks have such discerning tastes in alcohol.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RandallODim posted:

This but it's Bakamitai and Rogue of Love.

Don't worry, they're in the rotation too.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Oh, Rouge of Love !

Started y5's Saejima's chapter by going to the karaoke with him. And then the story made me go there. He sings beautifully.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Finally finished Kiwami after a long hiatus. I was basically running around doing random stuff before the final showdown.

I'm not sure what is sadder. Me getting the final mesuking card after winning 15 matches or the person who figured out to get the card took 15 matches.

Got my monies worth. In the end that is all that matters.

Only thing that really frustrates me that I might revisit is the Dragon accomplishments with Majima, Coliseum and the guy in the park. Lots of empty holes in that one.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Colostomy Bag posted:

Only thing that really frustrates me that I might revisit is the Dragon accomplishments with Majima, Coliseum and the guy in the park. Lots of empty holes in that one.

Should I interpret this as "you finished a Yakuza game without getting Tiger Drop"? That is a truly amazing accomplishment

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Captain Walker posted:

Should I interpret this as "you finished a Yakuza game without getting Tiger Drop"? That is a truly amazing accomplishment

I did too, it's not really that difficult, it's mostly a lot of dodging. The two dudes with knives at the end can bite me though that was dumb.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Doing enough of the colloseum to get the Tiger Drop would have been more annoying that finishing the game without it to me.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I don't know about Tiger Drop because I'm still partway through Zero, but will I be judged too harshly if I just keep using Mad Dog of Shimano during Majima's sections? Holy poo poo it's way too effective

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I’m a shameless tiger drop scummer :smug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ALFbrot posted:

I don't know about Tiger Drop because I'm still partway through Zero, but will I be judged too harshly if I just keep using Mad Dog of Shimano during Majima's sections? Holy poo poo it's way too effective

Nope in fact it's pretty fitting later on

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I felt like I was really getting accustomed to the fight system and I was having a great time with it, then I unlocked Mad Dog and got through the initial three arena fights in about 45 seconds and then tore rear end through the Nishitani and Nikkyo Consortium fights like they were essentially nothing

I might have to force myself not to use it most of the time

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Having an unbreakable knife really is overpowered in this game. But to be fair, Breaker clowns on bosses about as efficiently.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I can't get the timing down for tiger drop because I'm poo poo at it.

Grinding coliseum for the pictures was easy once you unlock the broken walls fight though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I suck a Tiger Drop too but it's so OP you only need to get it like one in five times to completely wreck bosses.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I forgot if it was in this thread or somewhere else where someone was like "Oh Rush mode sucks rear end, don't use it at all" and I listened to them so I ignored it for 75% of Kiwami.

I also started really hating the combat at around the 75% mark. Then I actually tried using Rush mode since by then I had so much extra XP I had to upgrade it... and it owned bones and made fighting all the endgame bosses a lot more fun and easy

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Rush gets extremely powerful when you unlock the upgrades that let you go from a combo to weave into quickstep into combo into weave into

But until then it's not that great, especially in Kiwami where it seems they nerfed the damage quite a bit

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The easiest way to practice Tiger Drop is also the same way you can essentially optimise using it.

Whiff a single light attack with square, that gets whoever it was aimed at to start attacking you. The timing's maybe a third of a second after the attacks thrown, but it's hard to describe honestly and it's just a feel thing but once you're used to it, it generally doesn't matter who's attacking you then. You just bait an attack with a whiffed jab and then tiger drop.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

CharlestonJew posted:

Rush gets extremely powerful when you unlock the upgrades that let you go from a combo to weave into quickstep into combo into weave into

But until then it's not that great, especially in Kiwami where it seems they nerfed the damage quite a bit

And then Godspeed and do it again but 2x as fast.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 will apparently not be at PlayStation Experience this month.

Sorry for everyone who thought the breakneck pace would continue! But they do say 2018 is gonna be exciting so it's probably coming eventually.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I’m just happy we got 0 and Kiwami this year. And 6 isn’t that far off.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I'll bet we'll also get Hokuto ga Gotoku in 2018 too. I hope so at least.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i mean they said they made kiwami 2 because of the success of zero in the west, we're absolutely getting it

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I assume they also don't want to cannibalize Yakuza 6 which will be there presumably.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Probably announced the Kiwami 2 release date minutes after 6 launches :rms:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Meanwhile, I'm scratching my head at how all of a sudden Majima goes from his 0 persona to his Kiwami persona. Like what specifically broke him to make him... well... that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

He spends like 5 minutes at the end of 0 explaining that

Edit: Specifically, he says about the events of 0 that playing by the Yakuza rules just made him a pawn of the powerful, so he was inspired by Nishitani's example to become a wild card and unpredictable so no one could control him

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 5, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The weirdest thing playing it in Kiwami then 0 order was that Majima's obsession with Kiryu made me think that they interacted more than never in 0.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

He spends like 5 minutes at the end of 0 explaining that

It's still pretty dumb.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

It's still pretty dumb.

I wouldn’t say dumb, just not fully earned through the characterization. The pieces are there (see above) but they don’t land for whatever reason.

The very end of 0 though...that hit hard.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

harperdc posted:

I wouldn’t say dumb, just not fully earned through the characterization. The pieces are there (see above) but they don’t land for whatever reason.

The very end of 0 though...that hit hard.

Let me see: the higher ups plan was to promise a (except for a single emotional moment) quite loyal yakuza the very thing he has been yearning for years if he follows orders, and later on threatening him with death if he doesn't, knowing perfectly well he's going to flip the gently caress out? And rebel just up to the point where he's not going to shoot Shimano when he has the chance, even if it means Makoto loses his protector? Even if that works, being unpredictable doesn't mean "scream on a high pitched voice at every chance"

And let's not talk about Majima's relation with Sagawa.

Almost as dumb as rubber bullets.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They probably have shown him become a bit more unhinged than he actually did during the game and Kiryu and Majima probably should have had a real meaningful fight during the end parts of 0 to cement Majima's respect of Kiryu's fighting ability and to affirm his need to better Kiryu in a fight.

Majima being wacky high pitch meme lord is as much of a character to him as it is to someone playing the game though. He breaks it during the game's plots as much as you see him in it.

I think it'd have probably worked for the player too if you had to fight the other character you've been playing as as a dramatic thing. Like, I wouldn't want to beat up either of my two Yakuza 0 friends if I didn't have to.

The thing with Sagawa really hits. That guy was a good guy for a total piece of poo poo.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

lets hang out posted:

i mean they said they made kiwami 2 because of the success of zero in the west, we're absolutely getting it

Still need a source on this as the one post linked to a video that said nothing about it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's pretty unlikely unless Kiwami 2 was developed in less than 9 months.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Sakurazuka posted:

The weirdest thing playing it in Kiwami then 0 order was that Majima's obsession with Kiryu made me think that they interacted more than never in 0.

I'm fairly sure that there's a significant but ill-defined timeskip at the end of 0 between the final action and the 'epilogue' where Kiryu gets his suit and what not.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Sakurazuka posted:

It's pretty unlikely unless Kiwami 2 was developed in less than 9 months.

Maybe he means 'the reason K2 is coming west is because of the western reception of 0.'

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
People always add "in the west" to it, probably to feel involved even though no one said that specifically, but really it's the success of 0 as a whole that lets the yakuza team do whatever they want.
0's success in the west probably only increased our localization chances, but that's all. The Japanese market barely cares about what happens outside of their country.

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 5, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

That's not true at all. The market in Japan has shrunk so much that they can't ignore the rest of the world. For years Japanese games were coming out on PS4 only for the West because no one in Japan owned the things until persona 5 came out.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I wanted to combine my brand new baby daughter with my newfound love of Yakuza, so I made her this.

I didn't realize until later that it's almost identical to Nishikiyama's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I hope she'll grow up to be as strong as a dragon then ! Congrats.