Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Port took Lindsay Thomas hah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

realbez posted:

Port took Lindsay Thomas hah

Must have missed the “north” in front of him when selecting Melbourne rejects. What a loving weird off season they have engineered

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Testekill posted:

I really like the changes to the rookie list which lets them play from day 1; it really gives the mature state leaguers more of a chance to pitch in when they don't have to wait for an injury. So stoked for David Mirra to finally get his chance after being a VFL champion for the last 5 odd years.

I haven't heard anything about this, what are the changes?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Must have missed the “north” in front of him when selecting Melbourne rejects. What a loving weird off season they have engineered

Yeah, it's practically a who's who list of players who could be great or could be absolute busts but probably the latter.

Out: Jackson Trengove, Matthew Lobbe, Jarman Impey, Brendan Ah Chee, Aaron Young, Logan Austin, Cam O'Shea
In: Tom Rockliff, Jack Watts, Steven Motlop, Lindsay Thomas, Trent McKenzie, and some new recruits

Verdict: :shrug:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Cats took Crameri in the rookie draft.

Maybe it'll work out this time.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

cmndstab posted:

I haven't heard anything about this, what are the changes?

Rookie listed players don't have to be elevated in order to play, they can just play from day 1.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Like, all of them? Or have they just moved the nominated rookie stuff to round 1?

What is the point of the rookie list, then? It doesn't do have any restrictions that the senior list doesn't have. Is it solely down to having looser requirements on contracts/payments/etc?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

cmndstab posted:

Like, all of them? Or have they just moved the nominated rookie stuff to round 1?

What is the point of the rookie list, then? It doesn't do have any restrictions that the senior list doesn't have. Is it solely down to having looser requirements on contracts/payments/etc?

At a guess, this is step 1 on the road to phasing out the rookie list entirely, letting the teams play them like regular list players for a season or two before deleting the looser payment requirements when they remove the list entirely.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I'm trying to remember the rules for the rookie list. From memory, you can offer contracts on a year-by-year basis, but if you want to do it for a third year you have to let them go back into the rookie draft again and someone else might take them.

Other than that, I assume there's a slightly lower base salary.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Talking on the radio about mid-season trading becoming a thing next year :jerry:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Spedman posted:

Talking on the radio about mid-season trading becoming a thing next year :jerry:

It's a thing in American sports and works pretty well in the NHL and NBA. I could absolutely see it falling to pieces here.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Gil McLachlan is a big proponent of it, it will happen

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I'm completely in favor of it. It sucks terribly when an otherwise good side that might threaten the finals has their season ruined because all their rucks went down.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hiddenmovement posted:

I'm completely in favor of it. It sucks terribly when an otherwise good side that might threaten the finals has their season ruined because all their rucks went down.

Personally I look forward to two periods a year of “IS JESSE GOING HOME” instead of just one

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

Personally I look forward to two periods a year of “IS JESSE GOING HOME” instead of just one

Yeah, it seems great if all it allows is clubs to trade in players to cover injuries but if it lets players bail on clubs mid season then that could be just as disruptive as injuries.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Yeah, I dunno how the narratives work in the other sports that do mid season trading, but I, for one, do not look forward to the heartbreak stories of players moving from clubs they think are poo poo, only to have that team turn it around in teh latter half of the year to make the finals. Or conversely, the "feel good" stories of players who jump off sinking ships to find finals/premiership glory in the same year.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Brett Deledio come on down

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Periphery posted:

Yeah, it seems great if all it allows is clubs to trade in players to cover injuries but if it lets players bail on clubs mid season then that could be just as disruptive as injuries.

Which it well do, because the Free Agency rules have demonstrated that the AFL lacks the wherewithal to copy the American system properly

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

BrigadierSensible posted:

Yeah, I dunno how the narratives work in the other sports that do mid season trading

It isn't really a thing because teams move cities/states every decade and all the players had to move across the country to play college football/basketball etc so they've been away from their home city for 4 years already.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Surely the midseason trade thing is just begging for a bunch of senior players each year in bottom 4 sides to just say "hey trade me to the top side please" and the top clubs getting better while the worst clubs get screwed?

I'd be all for a midseason draft, where players in state leagues etc can be picked up to cover injuries. But midseason trades? Don't like that one bit.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Former AFL star Michael Talia has signed with Norwood

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
We've had mid-season trading in the past, before the draft etc. One of the more notable examples is Russell Greene who trained with St Kilda one week and Hawthorn the next in 1980. He was pretty useful - ended up in three flags.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

cmndstab posted:

Surely the midseason trade thing is just begging for a bunch of senior players each year in bottom 4 sides to just say "hey trade me to the top side please" and the top clubs getting better while the worst clubs get screwed?

I'd be all for a midseason draft, where players in state leagues etc can be picked up to cover injuries. But midseason trades? Don't like that one bit.

I’d be up for a mid season draft to get players from state leagues, and possibly enable players that haven’t played a game that season to move clubs

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah, a mid season draft makes sense to cover the unexpected losses. A trade period might just end up being good players in poo poo clubs trying to get traded up the ladder.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Drinking free beer (crowns) at princes park, sometimes it pays to be a member. Some nice canapés too, thanks carlton. Tharlton.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

realbez posted:

Yeah, a mid season draft makes sense to cover the unexpected losses. A trade period might just end up being good players in poo poo clubs trying to get traded up the ladder.

Yeah this would be my concern, I'd prefer a state league draft over a inter-club trade period. Although I suspect state leagues would be pretty pissed losing good players and possibly screwing their season.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

thepokey posted:

Yeah this would be my concern, I'd prefer a state league draft over a inter-club trade period. Although I suspect state leagues would be pretty pissed losing good players and possibly screwing their season.

They would, but the AFL doesn't care in the slightest bit about inconveniences to state leagues.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

They would, but the AFL doesn't care in the slightest bit about inconveniences to state leagues.

At least Gil and I can agree on something

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
Agreed, gently caress the state leagues.

Mid season draft/limited trade period exclusively for players that have played fewer than 3 matches up until the midway point of the season (and not because of injury) would be fine by me.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
They should bring in a loan system for younger players. Reilly O’Brien has been ready to go for about 3 years but has played 2 games because of Jacobs never getting injured or rested.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/AFL/status/936042979730505729

Nice, 30% are girls, huge increase.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

PC Gone Mad :qq:

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Interesting that more people participating in NSW/ACT and QLD than SA. I get the significant population difference but the Auskick programs really must be working well up there.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
South Australians evidently barely deserve one team nevermind two imo

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

snaeksikn posted:

South Australians evidently barely deserve one team nevermind two imo

They couldnt even be bothered fielding a team in the grand final. Relegate them I say.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Port didnt even bother to put in an aflw bid.

And half the crows womens team is from the Northern Territory! Strip them of the premiership I say.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
GWS (Goons with spoons)

(not mine)

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BTW ABC has a sports personality of the year poll so you can all vote for Erin Phillips http://aisawards.abc.net.au/

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I went to a member forum on Wednesday at Princes Park, it was interesting, good of the club to give us free drinks afterwards and to let fans ask questions to some of the board members for 3 hours even if half the questions were dumb...

Anyway I wrote up a pretty big post detailing what was said over on bigfooty (yeah yeah I know, I only signed up for AFLW discussion because surprisingly they probably have the best/biggest online community to talk about it with subforums for each club) with a some information on things, some financial stuff which was mentioned by the president, a few detailed answers for questions and a response to my question about membership discounts for auto-renewal which I asked in this thread the other page for information on other clubs.

Anyway a new episode of the carlton show podcast came out to wrap up the year and they (mainly andy maher) said he talked to a bloke about the members forums and pretty much read my post verbatim there. So i guess I know Andy Maher and spoke to him! Roughly 1 hour and 10 mins in, right before the end.
https://twitter.com/drunkill/status/937014274664173568

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

quote:

ST KILDA defender Dylan Roberton needed stitches in his testicles on Monday after a freak indoor cricket incident which saw him hit by a tennis ball.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcTYj4BBNxM/?taken-by=dylanroberton

E: Can you embed an instagram video?

• Locked thread