Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Drone posted:

They did? I'm still relying on old CD's :shobon:

They redid all of them but only two have been made available on Steam because Matrix Games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

They redid all of them but only two have been made available on Steam because Matrix Games

The CC2 remake is not a remake. The campaign is very different.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

The CC2 remake is not a remake. The campaign is very different.

Yeah, and a number of people were not happy about it. Matrix's reply was pretty funny because it pretty much amounted to "When we redid the games, we didn't feel like spending the time to recreate CC2's unique campaign mode."

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
The boxed version of the CC3 remake starts at $500.
https://www.amazon.com/Close-Combat-Cross-Iron-pc/dp/B000NPNO50

I ran the numbers in my head and decided to go with the $14.99 digital download instead on http://www.matrixgames.com.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
I remember buying CC3 at a Babbage's in my local mall as a teen and the incredulous clerk asking me if I understood what the game was about. Led me on a huge Eastern Front book kick, ranging from Glantz to hot garbage like Mellenthin's memoir. :corsair:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

A Close Combat 3 remake at $15 is tempting. Any particular reason not to jump on it? Never played CC3 but played the hell out of CC2 as a kid and the entire Russian front sounds fun.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Close Combat in general is just very overrated. Great for it's time, but ultimately really shallow.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

actually they are good

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

cool new Metroid game posted:

actually they are good

:same:

Also there are more "modern" CC games out, Gateway to Caen and Panthers in the Fog are both solid.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

A Close Combat 3 remake at $15 is tempting. Any particular reason not to jump on it? Never played CC3 but played the hell out of CC2 as a kid and the entire Russian front sounds fun.

If you’re nostalgic for it, it’s worth the $15. The graphics are a little rough, but it’s still a blast to play.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The Close Combat games are not objectively the greatest games ever, but when I played them as a kid, they totally blew my mind.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

The Close Combat games are not objectively the greatest games ever, but when I played them as a kid, they totally blew my mind.

I played a poo poo-ton of CC1 back in the day. I loved tracking my soldiers between missions and seeing who got medals and promotions in rank.

My 12 year old brain didn't think too much about the half of my troops who died every mission though :smith:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

I played a poo poo-ton of CC1 back in the day. I loved tracking my soldiers between missions and seeing who got medals and promotions in rank.

My 12 year old brain didn't think too much about the half of my troops who died every mission though :smith:
Inside every 12 year old is one of those Western Front generals in WWI

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

well I'm watching this six-hour video of Derek Smart playing Universal Combat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0EFo4gYh9Y

get on my level

oh wait don't. that's a bad idea.

edit: i'm 1:29:52 in.

I'm two and a half hours. Due to the constraints I'm spacing it out over a few days, but this is comedy loving gold.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Kind of a long shot, but does anyone play WitP:AE in OS X using wine? I just picked the game up during the sale and set up a wine wrapper. The game runs, but not super well - clicks only register maybe half the time and it feels like the game thinks the cursor is somewhere slightly different than where I see it. I can find plenty of people saying that it runs well in wine but not a lot of info on recommended settings.

I have a PC so it's not the end of the world if I can't get this working, but I'd like to play this on my Mac laptop.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
WitP runs way better with some command line switches added to the launcher .exe. Below is what I use but I've long forgotten what half of them do. I do know without them the interface is way more laggy.

War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe -w -px1920 –py1200 -dd_sw -altFont -deepColor - archive -skipVideo -multiaudio

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I spent a day travelling, read all about the Battle of Britain, came home, bought Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich and... immediately regretted it.

You guys were right.

:negative:

So I shame bought the WitW expansion that gave me some strictly air campaigns to run.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yooper posted:

I spent a day travelling, read all about the Battle of Britain, came home, bought Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich and... immediately regretted it.

You guys were right.

:negative:

So I shame bought the WitW expansion that gave me some strictly air campaigns to run.

Battle of Britain 2, you can't go wrong with that one.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

"Birth of America II - Wars in America" is self-aware of the engine limitations and does a fairly good job of being a decent game. It's from 2008 though

The time period/American revolution is so boring... I got plenty of enjoyment out of both American Civil War games though, and people really seemed to like their latest— I think it was set in the 30 years war.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
american rev could be a cool setting but most people read hagiographies instead of history books so it is the most sterile and falsely noble setting ever. throw in some bushwhacking, civil war, class warfare, and good old fashioned terrorism imo.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm two and a half hours. Due to the constraints I'm spacing it out over a few days, but this is comedy loving gold.

The amazing weather & flight model

https://youtu.be/E0EFo4gYh9Y?t=4560

I loving literally creased up at "Now it's snowing!"

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Witp Coral sea is a good training ground. First try I killed the landing force but lost the Lex. Second try lost both CV due to zeroes everywhere.

Is there a win condition for the scenario?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

dtkozl posted:

american rev could be a cool setting but most people read hagiographies instead of history books so it is the most sterile and falsely noble setting ever. throw in some bushwhacking, civil war, class warfare, and good old fashioned terrorism imo.

I agree, which makes me immediately dismiss any game set in the American Revolution as a false glorification of American revolutionaries and tacitly acceding to American exceptionalism. Importantly, I think this even if it is a game made by a bunch of French guys who seemed to do the ACW okay.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im not too proud to say i think id enjoy a steampunk american revolution wargame

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Kilmers Elbow posted:

The amazing weather & flight model

https://youtu.be/E0EFo4gYh9Y?t=4560

I loving literally creased up at "Now it's snowing!"

He spends fifteen to twenty minutes after crashing his ship into water promising he'll get back to space.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bold Robot posted:

Kind of a long shot, but does anyone play WitP:AE in OS X using wine? I just picked the game up during the sale and set up a wine wrapper. The game runs, but not super well - clicks only register maybe half the time and it feels like the game thinks the cursor is somewhere slightly different than where I see it. I can find plenty of people saying that it runs well in wine but not a lot of info on recommended settings.

I have a PC so it's not the end of the world if I can't get this working, but I'd like to play this on my Mac laptop.

Please, please, please keep me in the loop on this. I use a Mac laptop for work, and the ability to play WitP on it would be AWESOME.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

ZombieLenin posted:

I agree, which makes me immediately dismiss any game set in the American Revolution as a false glorification of American revolutionaries and tacitly acceding to American exceptionalism. Importantly, I think this even if it is a game made by a bunch of French guys who seemed to do the ACW okay.

I'm disappointed in any ACW game that doesn't include John Brown with a broadsword as a recruitable unit.

Does anyone know what kind of sword brown actually used? Making that joke made me curious.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's awesome. Also if you get UC make sure (like me) to name your battlecruiser the "Derek Smart" while you're pew-pewing around the galaxy and struggling with the UI, controls, and everything else.

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

"Birth of America II - Wars in America" is self-aware of the engine limitations and does a fairly good job of being a decent game. It's from 2008 though
I'm going to buy that. It'd be fun to play the French during the French & Indian War (Seven Years War) and also the British during the War of 1812. Get those torches ready, boys!

Revolution Under Siege is cool. If anyone wants to talk poo poo about AGEOD games meet me in the Buc'ees parking lot near Texas Motor Speedway in 30 minutes.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Revolution Under Siege is cool

Nah. The conflict is extremely cool. The game is peak* AGEOD bullshit.

* Actually that would be Pride of Nations, but you get the point.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
AGEOD is what happens to wargames in the lost city of Carcosa.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I have 20 hours in pride of nations and i think i got through a decade?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The next step up from Grey's day-by-day WITP LP would be a Pride of Nations multi-generational LP.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Yeah, and a number of people were not happy about it. Matrix's reply was pretty funny because it pretty much amounted to "When we redid the games, we didn't feel like spending the time to recreate CC2's unique campaign mode."

Which is a crime because CC2 had the best campaign mode of the whole series. Yes, better than CC3. And I've played multiple CC3 multiplayer grand campaigns all the way through.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

He spends fifteen to twenty minutes after crashing his ship into water promising he'll get back to space.

"SOS is flashing....because everything is malfunctioning....because I'm in water"

this video could single-handedly redeem 2017

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Orange Devil posted:

Which is a crime because CC2 had the best campaign mode of the whole series. Yes, better than CC3. And I've played multiple CC3 multiplayer grand campaigns all the way through.

Are these games worth playing if I've never played them before and don't have the nostalgia factor?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Well, I can only speak about the original versions of 2, 3 and 5, but if one's cheap, then yeah, give it a go. It's slow, the men are tiny blobs and it can be janky at times (especially during close combat, ironically), but it's very simple to pick up and quite a different experience from most grog games out there.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
I've only really played A Bridge Too Far for any real amount of hours, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and could fairly reliably grasp the mechanics of the game at the tender age of 10. They're good fun, and the campaigns are really well produced, lots of historical footage and such. Probably my only real gripe with the series has been the difficulty in determining whether or not your troops are in cover/have clear LOS without having to physically check.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

pthighs posted:

Are these games worth playing if I've never played them before and don't have the nostalgia factor?

I never played the originals but the two most recent Close Combat games are on Steam (Panthers in the Fog and Gateway to Caen), they are both good and the UI/graphics look (marginally) better than the originals. I have had fun with both of those titles so maybe it's worth just getting whatever is on sale on Steam?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I forgot if I asked the thread already, but are there any PC clones of ASL that aren't $70 John Tiller bullshit? I've played a lot of 3D tactical sims (Graviteam Tactics etc) that spend a lot of effort in modeling the ammunition capacity of a Jagdtiger or whatever but still fail miserably at producing plausible results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

MrYenko posted:

Please, please, please keep me in the loop on this. I use a Mac laptop for work, and the ability to play WitP on it would be AWESOME.

I'm trying a bunch of stuff to get it working so I'll let you know if I can get it to a point where it is playable.