Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Cythereal posted:

And remember that this whole thing started with loving Iron Man.

Yeah, though I guess you could argue, at the very least, he had a cartoon within the past decade or so before his film. Guardians had jack poo poo and hadn't appeared in almost anything outside of some comics. Now they are one of the most recognizable teams. Thor was another one who was merely a footnote outside of comics themselves with some cameos here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Anecdote but no one in my family read comics at the time and I sure didn't ever even know an iron man cartoon existed but everyone up to and including my grandma saw the movie because of rdj

MCU has completely normalized comic story weirdness in movies. All you need is a strong cast and a decent story

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

site posted:

Anecdote but no one in my family read comics at the time and I sure didn't ever even know an iron man cartoon existed but everyone up to and including my grandma saw the movie because of rdj

It wasn't a particularly successful cartoon. It got revamped for its second season, but outside of its theme song, you'd never really hear anything about it. The show itself just wasn't memorable. Same with the FF and Hulk cartoon from that time. None had the success of Spider-Man or X-Men for Marvel.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Comic book fans are the only ones who care if a character is an a, b, or c lister.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about the FF, though. Like despite having some great runs and constantly getting pushed by creators and publishers for their significance to early Marvel, they're c-listers at best in the average person's mind, down there with Cyborg, Carol Danvers and Animal Man. X-men might be difficult to integrate into the MCU but the brand still has way more value than the FF ever will, and that's without considering how many goddamn characters that'd give Disney access to. The FF would give them like, one and a half movies, and small bits in crossover films. X-men would give them a genuine franchise, whether they merged it with the MCU or not.

No one gave a poo poo about Iron Man before the movie.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The Iron Man movie also came out shortly after Civil War so even comic book readers weren't big fans of him at the time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

MCU has completely normalized comic story weirdness in movies. All you need is a strong cast and a decent story

And sometimes you don't even need that, if the stories of every Marvel sequel are evidence!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like a bunch of the marvel sequels

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Thanos just kills everybody in Avengers 4, then the FF show up as they are now, rebuilding the universe. Allows you to redo/alter stories and recast people.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Roth posted:

Comic book fans are the only ones who care if a character is an a, b, or c lister.

That attitude is also immediately refuted by every DC TV show on right now, except maybe the Flash, and Fox's X-Men shows. The Gifted is great and it's better than it has any right to be for an X-Men show featuring throw away characters. The main characters are even Fenris 2.0. Legion the character is a pretty obscure and usually poorly executed character but Legion the show is amazing.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Skwirl posted:

I did.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Light Gun Man posted:

FF is best used in the MCU as supporting cast and a source of villains, I'd say. And probably have said before.

Bring on Dr Doom for real, for once, please.

Doom, Puppetmaster, High Evolutionary, Kang, Blastaar, Thundra, Annihilus, plus Namor and Attuma.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

They seem to be able to use Kang and Attuma given that they both appeared in Lego Marvel Superheroes 2, which didn't have any of the Fox-owned characters in it.

Fox also doesn't have the rights to Namor.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

fractalairduct posted:

They seem to be able to use Kang and Attuma given that they both appeared in Lego Marvel Superheroes 2, which didn't have any of the Fox-owned characters in it.

Fox also doesn't have the rights to Namor.

I was under the impression that nothing outside of live action TV and actual Films counted. For example, they had Wolverine and Juggernaut on Ultimate Spider-Man. They just didn't do it because "reasons", though they did recently work with Fox on TV rights for Legion and Gifted. Same with games. There are no Fox characters in Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite, but not because they can't, since Marvel Puzzle Quest has tons of X-men characters. It's more that Marvel Entertainment is really really weird about using Fox stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Video game rights are a completely different licensing package from movie/TV rights.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Video game rights are a completely different licensing package from movie/TV rights.

Yup. The F4 was in the first Lego Marvel game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ToastyPotato posted:

Nobody cared about Guardians of the Galaxy either. And the Fantastic Four were exponentially more popular than them. Also prior to the MCU, Thor was absolutely not a household name. Disney can make stars out of almost any character if they play their cards right. Ant-Man is getting a sequel. Ant-Man is getting a big budget sequel.

Skwirl posted:

That argument cuts both ways. Why is getting the FF a get when they can just make a Sleepwalker movie and have it be a huge success?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

That argument cuts both ways. Why is getting the FF a get when they can just make a Sleepwalker movie and have it be a huge success?

Because they probably already have a vision for FF and feel it will be more easily marketable than Sleepwalker or Moon Knight. They were forced to use Guardians and Iron Man and Thor because they couldn't use Spider-Man and X-Men. And while they did make those work, they probably firmly believe they could make even more money with FF and X-Men under their control. They took gambles on the movies they did and it worked out for the most part, but at this point they are probably looking for some easier money, and FF and X-men could easily carry the next decade without as much risk as a talking racoon and tree.

I have to wonder if them throwing Inhumans to TV was partly them setting the table for X-Men in the MCU now. It seems weird for them to have abandoned something as potentially significant as that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Also having control of FF and X-Men means the competition can't make money off of them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

But yeah, there comes a point where even Marvel is like "who?" I have a feeling sleepwalker is *just* over that line.

but a sleepwalker movie could totally rock

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also FF has all of Marvel's best Rogues p much.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Galactus and Annihilus are pretty ripe for big crossover event movies.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hickman did a LOT to raise the FF's profile with his run and SW 2015, which I guaran-loving-tee Marvel wants to do at some point, especially if they get the FF back. That or Annihilation, which relies on having Annihilius.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Doctor Doom is probably the best comic book villain of all time and I am loving giddy at the thought him finally getting a proper big screen translation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I dunno, they managed to gently caress up Ultron, so my expectations for a TRUE DOOM are pretty low.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno, they managed to gently caress up Ultron, so my expectations for a TRUE DOOM are pretty low.

Ultron always sucked.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Ultron always sucked.

Maybe, but James Spadertron was a completely unrelated character to the Avengers villain known as Ultron.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That film's true crime was unleashing the Vision on the MCU audience.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok I finally got through Inhumans. Lol they set up plot threads for a season 2, got to admire the optimism

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lurdiak posted:

Can't wait to watch VICTOR VON DOOM make dumb Buffyspeak quips for 2 hours while awkwardly apologizing for poo poo to make him endearing to the audience

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If Doom doesn't have a bad day where Luke Cage breaks into his place to get the $100 he owes him, what's the point really

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I kind of want them to be able to do a Beast and Safari Jacket and Ray-Bans Wonder Man team-up movie where it's just an episode of Magnum P.I.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rhyno posted:

That film's true crime was unleashing the Vision on the MCU audience.

Vision is good

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vision is the only cool red-faced robot in a superhero comic.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Rhyno posted:

Doctor Doom is probably the best comic book villain of all time and I am loving giddy at the thought him finally getting a proper big screen translation.

Is a shame they've already used Mads Mikkelson in Dr Strange.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dacap posted:

Is a shame they've already used Mads Mikkelson in Dr Strange.

Dude is way too understated to be Doom. Although I don't really have a better suggestion, other than traveling back in time and casting a young Christopher Lee.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Dude is way too understated to be Doom. Although I don't really have a better suggestion, other than traveling back in time and casting a young Christopher Lee.

Christoph Watlz?

I know likely too old, but he'd be perfect to play a brilliant, grandiose super-villain tyrant.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Proteus Jones posted:

Christoph Watlz?

I know likely too old, but he'd be perfect to play a brilliant, grandiose super-villain tyrant.

He's in a mask all the time, and they can use their young Tony Stark magic for the inevitable setup flash back. I feel the F4 have gone thru enough origin movies that even if they were to do it right that well would be poisoned. They just need to be retconned in or handled like the Ed Norton film where the origin is alluded to in he credits.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Frank Langella is too old but he'd have been a great Doom, seeing as he played him once before (twice if you count Richard Nixon).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Vincent Cassel had also been a popular choice.