Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I think I'm going to do frost blades Scion slayer/assassin or slayer/elementalist. Something super creative like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I'm mostly torn between a self-cast Scorching Ray/Righteous Fire character and a Spectre Necromancer. Has anyone who's done both of those got a rough idea of the comparative pros and cons?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

blast rain was great though

it's good i just dont like the way it plays.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

..btt posted:

Doomfletch prism + barrage is gonna be stupidly expensive in endgame content. You can do it on a budget, to an extent, but the primary benefit of that build is how well it scales with gear. I'd look elsewhere for budget builds.

guess ill save it for my "i have a poo poo load of currency what should i play" build.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
As someone who played Dark Pact in Harbinger (albeit I quit pretty early on this league) the changes to it are a joke btw. Dark Pact damage was perfectly fine and not nearly as good as the builds I played right before or after it, and its AoE was frankly disappointing even with the radius boost. The 'broken' part of the build was how it let you stack life to the heavens and, between VP and Berserker, easily keep it maxed out. So the solution is...to nerf the damage (unnecessary) and nerf the radius? I mean I guess if they want nobody to ever use it self-cast again that's fine, but it was already very meh against bosses in 3.0 before damage nerf and VP change, and now it's also gonna be bad for clearspeed since it's an AoE skill with limited ability to build for high movespeed. Removing the bonus radius is a very silly change - if anything it was still too tiny compared to what you can do with actually good skills (aka anything projectile) and if other AoE skills were suffering in comparison that really only underlines how awful they are.

I still remember trying to make WI work in Legacy right after the AoE nerfs were put into effect. The damage was meh but the ridiculously tiny area was what really made it feel unusably clunky to me. Feel like DP is gonna be the same story now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

May I get an invite please. Cn: Omlivv

Thank you.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
dark pact also has curse support now so while its probably bad, it's also probably not entirely unplayable

i wouldnt be shocked if slayer or slayer/occultist scion were the new hot poo poo for it though

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm still planning on going gc mine sabateur. Any particular reason (barring patch notes) not to?

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

silvergoose posted:

I'm still planning on going gc mine sabateur. Any particular reason (barring patch notes) not to?

no unless they dumpster GC itself, it should be even better in early maps w/ its threshold jewel (as in, before you can afford good rare jewels)

also the MoM nerf kind of sucks for it and you might maybe need to run an extra mana flask, but probably not

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

This checks some desired gimmick build boxes alright, you have the general gist of it?

You'll want a lycosidae offhand so you can actually hit something, or go for Resolute Technique, the rest was stacking auras as much as you can, have a flesh offering on CwDT setup and a bunch of other stuff.

It was absolutely awful at everything, but who cares with dumb gimmick builds, right?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

warchief still looking solid, see if it escapes the patch notes that come out tonight but if so FB AW totems should be pretty strong with the flat phys jewels. Not the most blazing fast clearspeed but it'll carry you right to shaper.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

no unless they dumpster GC itself, it should be even better in early maps w/ its threshold jewel (as in, before you can afford good rare jewels)

also the MoM nerf kind of sucks for it and you might maybe need to run an extra mana flask, but probably not

Is there a good reason to go KB mines instead? I only tried GC during mayhem and liked it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'll probably still do a slayer to start off just because it would be nice to start off actually hitting things and finding weapon upgrades as you go, then planned to make a shield charging spectre necro second after I farmed uberlab to fill the bank.

I'd be interested in hearing about other builds that fill the checkboxes of:
[] Fast clear speed and boss killing.
[] Really good movement options, either with skills or lots of extra movement speed.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'm mostly torn between a self-cast Scorching Ray/Righteous Fire character and a Spectre Necromancer. Has anyone who's done both of those got a rough idea of the comparative pros and cons?

oh hey I've tested both of those in the past week

scorching ray/rf:
-you can't level as RF unless you hate yourself, can transition cleanly at 63
-the shield is getting nerfed a bit but it's still fantastic
-feels good zooming around the map with an aura of death
-once you have the gear you're basically invincible and can afk most things

spectre necromancer:
-incredible leveling with SRS, can switch to spectres whenever, but a6 is when you start to get good ones
-slower at clearing than rf because minions can be kinda dumb sometimes
-I cleared a shaped racecourse with boots of ullr and a tabula with no other items

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'd be interested in hearing about other builds that fill the checkboxes of:
[] Fast clear speed and boss killing.
[] Really good movement options, either with skills or lots of extra movement speed.
kb wander full stop

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

oh hey I've tested both of those in the past week

scorching ray/rf:
-you can't level as RF unless you hate yourself, can transition cleanly at 63
-the shield is getting nerfed a bit but it's still fantastic
-feels good zooming around the map with an aura of death
-once you have the gear you're basically invincible and can afk most things

Which class/ascendancy did you try?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I had a lot of fun with my flicker strike

I might try a wander this league

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

Which class/ascendancy did you try?

I didn't know anything but guardian was viable
e: i've done both the life and low life versions with guardian

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Is there a good reason to go KB mines instead? I only tried GC during mayhem and liked it.

KB is the single most ridiculous clear speed skill in the game if you're skipping bosses. GC isn't super good clear speed (because kb mines will kill a 3 screen radius around you) but has decent single target.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 5, 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

My experiences playing RF sr and flicker strike is that I want boss kill because I like killing bosses but had survivability problems with both of those builds on bosses.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I want to try doing a molten strike build for the next league. I toyed with that skill briefly with my first ever character, and I want to try to build around it. Any idea which class would work best for that? Is it even worth trying? I'm thinking Templar, but don't have too much experience with that end of the skill tree.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 5, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

kb wander full stop

Did that in harbinger, looking to try some other things.

I might look into a life on hit claw build that can work without vaal pact, but I'd want a skill that isn't namelock, I loved wildstrike last I tried it but the namelocking -really- got annoying and slow, maybe it's better with a one hander instead of a two hander.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
I played RF/SR in 2.5 and 2.6, spectre summoner ages ago (2.2? 2.1?)

RF/SR is fun and relaxing, like a cycloner with better movement. Unfortunately you need to stand still to have decent boss DPS, which means dangerous bosses can take a while to kill. Life based Marauder versions are cheap to get going but scale very slowly from mid tier maps onwards. ES versions have a much higher potential, at higher cost.

Spectre summoner is stupid powerful early. Somewhat detached play style in that you mostly just run around while your minions do everything, even on bosses. At least you don’t need to plant totems. My big issue with the build when I played it was that it seemed to cap out on damage very early (like level 68 when you got max level spectres from eternal lab), with almost only defensive upgrades to look forward to. That killed my desire to develop the character fully.

I am somewhat tempted to try summoner again now that spectres don’t disappear on disconnect, but I don’t know if they fixed the scaling.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Inglonias posted:

I want to try doing a molten strike build for the next league. I toyed with that skill briefly with my first ever character, and I want to try to build around it. Any idea which class would work best for that? Is it even worth trying? I'm thinking Templar, but don't have too much experience with that end of the skill tree.

molten strike might be pretty decent with ancestral call or whatever, give it a much larger AOE hitting 3 targets and poppin balls all over.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
I'm definitely going to do Glacial Cascade CI mana Guardian with the new helmet and exploit double dipping on the % of elemental damage added as chaos mods. (Incandescent Heart, Shade of Solaris, Atziri's Splendour)

https://pastebin.com/KnJYxuAf

This is pretty extraordinarily tanky for a build that does 1.5-2m boss DPS. (GC hits large model bosses 3-4 times per cast)

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'm thinking of something very similar, but I've never played a mana guardian before. Presumably the MoM nerf isn't going to hurt too much?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Elerion posted:

I am somewhat tempted to try summoner again now that spectres don’t disappear on disconnect, but I don’t know if they fixed the scaling.

If I remember the last major changes to spectres right and anyone feel free to correct me, you can go to any act area with the spectres you want and desecrate until you get them, then you take those low level spectres to the highest level map you have available, topping out at shapers realm, and whenever you cast desecrate again inside that area the spectres you currently have will show up in the pool and be the same level as the map enemies and once you have t15 or t16 spectres there will be very little capable of killing them off.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If I remember the last major changes to spectres right and anyone feel free to correct me, you can go to any act area with the spectres you want and desecrate until you get them, then you take those low level spectres to the highest level map you have available, topping out at shapers realm, and whenever you cast desecrate again inside that area the spectres you currently have will show up in the pool and be the same level as the map enemies and once you have t15 or t16 spectres there will be very little capable of killing them off.

Wow, seems that desecrate change was ninja patched in earlier this year. That’s a massive change and will alleviate some of the issues I had with the build back when spectres were practically capped at 68, at least for SSF use. For trading leagues does create some weird scaling issues where it seems like the biggest upgrade you can buy is a tier 15 map (or portal use) to summon max level spectres, and repeat if they die. It also seems like you can do that as soon as you can use a level 19 desecrate, with limited scaling above that point. Still kind of weird.

To those that have actually played spectre in 2017, am I reading this right?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Elerion posted:

Wow, seems that desecrate change was ninja patched in earlier this year. That’s a massive change and will alleviate some of the issues I had with the build back when spectres were practically capped at 68, at least for SSF use. For trading leagues does create some weird scaling issues where it seems like the biggest upgrade you can buy is a tier 15 map (or portal use) to summon max level spectres, and repeat if they die. It also seems like you can do that as soon as you can use a level 19 desecrate, with limited scaling above that point. Still kind of weird.

To those that have actually played spectre in 2017, am I reading this right?

That's pretty much right. But practically speaking, your spectres are gonna be so goddamn good at killing everything (at least solar guards ime) that you're bottlenecked on survivability even if you just use whatever level spectres you have available at that moment. I was mostly ssf outside of buying a couple key gear items like vis mortis and bone of ullr. and yeah needing to get the level 19 desecrate was mildly annoying when i mapped too high above my level before desecrate caught up

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

I didn't know anything but guardian was viable
e: i've done both the life and low life versions with guardian

You can do a good SR/RF Scion who takes the Trickster and Inquisitor ascendancies and uses MoM. I started being able to sustain RF with no uniques but a self-found Shaper's Seed by like act 7, although I had to spam Shield Charge to keep my mana up.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
You just need an item with plus to gem levels for when you perform the ritual.

And don't let anyone tell you it's not an active playstyle! You have lots of buffs and debuffs to manage at all times.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Here is a question, when your on your first couple days of a league and currency is low, when do you decide "ok, I need to start using chroms and fusing on -something- to try and get a 4 link on something"?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Here is a question, when your on your first couple days of a league and currency is low, when do you decide "ok, I need to start using chroms and fusing on -something- to try and get a 4 link on something"?

I would just be on the lookout for 4 links in desirable bases as you go. Bonus if they are already the right colors, but they should at least be on a base where rolling the right colors is easy. Chromes are very common so I just use them whenever.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Wezlar posted:

I think I'm going to do frost blades Scion slayer/assassin or slayer/elementalist. Something super creative like that.

Heres my scion raider elementalist frostblades char, if you wanna see how I built it. https://pastebin.com/mjc2Her0

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

modern filters will point out relevant 4links in the pre mapping areas, and imo you should only use them on gloves and helmets, all other slots should concentrate on mods instead

this obviously changes once you get into yellows and you kinda need a 5L for comfort

George
Nov 27, 2004

When do the Markov-generated patch notes come out?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I just link any uniques I will be using for a long time or nice rares I wont be replacing for a while.

If I don't have either of the above I chrome something from the shop and slap an essence on it or alt spam for a resist I need

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Essence/Alch 4l bases. Don't spend fuses on anything that isn't good life + 2 good resists at least.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Don't forget that if you need a better phys weapon it's usually just a few alts away.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

George posted:

When do the Markov-generated patch notes come out?

Right now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

quote:

Reduced the damage dealt by the trade API.

Bot is on the ball I see.