Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

cowofwar posted:

Mix in broccoli.

the gently caress is wrong with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Wirth1000 posted:

I'm so sad you'll never experience Red Lobster's Endless Shrimp event.... like, actually.

cockroaches of the sea

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

In actual political content, I voted in advance voting in a federal by-election yesterday. :canada:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The Dark One posted:

Toronto police are trash, #4543457 in a series.

https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/937787775880978432
jesus loving christ

https://twitter.com/SephsHands/status/937825836220190720

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Let's just let a serial killer operate unchecked in Canada's most populous area. Sounds like a plan to me!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Having moved to Copenhagen, let me say that Harvey's would be a GODSEND, and I hate Harvey's. And the *pizza*. Do you know what Scandinavians put on pizza?

http://gawker.com/5919906/dear-sweden-what-the-hell-are-you-putting-on-your-pizza

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rust Martialis posted:

Having moved to Copenhagen, let me say that Harvey's would be a GODSEND, and I hate Harvey's. And the *pizza*. Do you know what Scandinavians put on pizza?

http://gawker.com/5919906/dear-sweden-what-the-hell-are-you-putting-on-your-pizza

At least one of those combos sounds good, and curry on a pizza sounds awesome. Curry and tomato sauce go together amazingly, as Berlin's gift to the world, currywurst, proves.

Fruit on pizza can also be delicious. I've had both mandarin orange and pear on pizza, both are good af.

But if you don't like those things, make your own pizza. That's what I always do now. Once you learn how to make the crust properly, it's super simple.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Hot take: box mac and cheese is not, in fact, good

Harveys is also weak AF

A&W is the true fast food burger (especially now that they've done a quality revamp)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

My friend maintains a position that Canada doesn't have a racism problem because our cops don't shoot black people. The truth is our cops just don't give a poo poo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

My friend maintains a position that Canada doesn't have a racism problem because our cops don't shoot black people. The truth is our cops just don't give a poo poo.

Have you told your friend about starlight tours?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

JawKnee posted:

the gently caress is wrong with you

Well best if you keep the broccoli and skip the kd.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Have you told your friend about starlight tours?

He said those are all in the past and things are much better now. I think the craziest thing about it is his dad, who was a lifelong RCMP officer and is now retired never wanted to explore his ancestry. Reason being that they are probably Metis and his dad knew that it would affect the way other officers looked at him.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

You get lots of dining out variety when you embrace dumpster-diving.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I’m late to the party but nothing ruins your favourite local donair / pho place like a little bit of food safety knowledge :cry:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm not going to paste the whole thing, because I think this paragraph tells you all you need to know.

Terence Corcoran: Trudeau can’t land a trade deal — because he’s no free trader

quote:

The prime minister and his advisers are obsessed with issues that have no relation with the principles of free trade. Labour rules, culture, gender and environmental laws have no place in agreements that aim to open up trade. They are, at heart, attempts to embed social protectionism in agreements that
should be focused on free trade in goods and services.

:jerkbag:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'm not going to paste the whole thing, because I think this paragraph tells you all you need to know.

Terence Corcoran: Trudeau can’t land a trade deal — because he’s no free trader

:jerkbag:

Trying to convince China to change their policies is a noble goal being terribly executed through the very silly assumption that Canada has the kind of economic clout to influence China in that way.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
https://twitter.com/davidakin/status/937918915987906560

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Why the UK? Does he identify strongly with the current level of mental enfeeblement in their government or something?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I don't know how anyone can look at the UK or US and say "See? Our system should be more like theirs! It works so well!"

I mean, the GOP just endorsed a literal goddamn pedophile for senate!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The UK government is a dumpster fire right now and will be until they elect the Top Boy PM

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

Why the UK? Does he identify strongly with the current level of mental enfeeblement in their government or something?

Yep and after that it was talking to journalists = human rights and abolish the cbc.

quote:

"As we look at electoral structures … we've had a certain level of discussions around electoral and democratic reform in Canada that have me looking to the mother of all Parliaments. The U.K. does a significantly better job of programming legislation, getting it through the House," he said, adding that his Liberal government borrowed the idea of a once-a-week Prime Minister's Question Period from the U.K., where the leader of the government fields all questions asked that day.

Mr. Trudeau was asked what he's doing in China to demonstrate he is committed to more than just business deals, but instead subjects such as human rights. He replied that answering questions from Canadian journalists is how he shows he cares about freedom of the press.

"I am happy to be here now taking a broad range of questions from the media on a broad range of issues to demonstrate that I truly believe a free and informed and independent process is something necessary to support for a society to thrive. This is something I demonstrate all around the world."

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

It's funny how Conservatives preach "Strong Canadian Values" but are immediately willing to sell out to get a trade deal, makes u think.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DariusLikewise posted:

It's funny how Conservatives preach "Strong Canadian Values" but are immediately willing to sell out to get a trade deal, makes u think.

It doesn't seem 21st century Conservatives have any values at all beyond power, greed and misogyny.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'd say "traditional" values are still strong. making GBS threads on anyone who isn't like you and entrenching your own privilege at the expense of others.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Trudeau singling out the UK specifically as a model to emulate is really funny when you consider that his dad's signature reforms to the constitution were one of the single biggest moves we made away from the UK model.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

I'd say "traditional" values are still strong. making GBS threads on anyone who isn't like you and entrenching your own privilege at the expense of others.

Privilege isn't like a pie where one person getting a big slice means another person gets a small slice. The privilege pie is huge, we should be working to get everybody a big slice.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

[obligatory "friendship with china ended" photoshop] :effort:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Privilege isn't like a pie where one person getting a big slice means another person gets a small slice. The privilege pie is huge, we should be working to get everybody a big slice.

Then it's not really privilege any more, is it?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love that countries still try to enter good-faith negotiations and treaties with China. They get so flustered and confused when China doesn't reciprocate, which is every time, but idiot western politicians keep thinking this time it will be different, this time China will put aside thousands of years of diplomatic tradition and negotiate in good faith.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So the impression I'm getting is that China called Trudeau over just to jerk him around? lol

I guess they feel emboldened in trade talks now that NAFTA is crumbling.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Helsing posted:

Trudeau singling out the UK specifically as a model to emulate is really funny when you consider that his dad's signature reforms to the constitution were one of the single biggest moves we made away from the UK model.

Maybe he’s excited about Jeremy like we are

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

Then it's not really privilege any more, is it?

Not between the groups that it existed before but we can invent new groups and new vectors of privilege and be just as outraged as before.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Members of a thalidomide survivor group say they felt belittled and are appalled after meeting with Kent Hehr, the federal minister for persons with disabilities, and accuse him of making repugnant statements about their life expectancies.

The minister flat out denies at least one of their claims and said he has apologized if some of his comments were misinterpreted.

Fiona Sampson, a thalidomide survivor who attended the Oct. 19 meeting, told reporters on Tuesday that Hehr degraded those in attendance with his remarks.

"In response to members of the group reading really heartfelt testimonials, Minister Hehr — apropos of nothing — commented, 'Well you don't have it as bad today as adults as you did when you were kids,'" said Sampson, a human rights lawyer and chair of Thalidomide Survivors Task Group.

"Then he went on to say, 'Well you don't have it so bad. Everyone in Canada has a sob story.'"

Sampson said one of the most repugnant statements in the 30-minute meeting came after the group explained to Hehr that they have shortened lifespans and have already lost five members since the House of Commons passed a unanimous motion to support survivors back in 2014.

"He said to us, 'So you probably have about 10 years left then now. That's good news for the Canadian government.' We were shocked and appalled," she said.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

cowofwar posted:

Doners and pitas: for a 90s white person’s palate. Want a Rickard’s beer with that?

I'm cool with Rickard's. It was my gateway beer that showed me there could be life after pitchers of Canadian at the Madison.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mortgage-professionals-canada-1.4433319

quote:

New mortgage stress test rules will block 50,000 people from buying: mortgage group

New rules aimed at cracking down on the mortgage market will result in 100,000 people failing a stress test of their finances, and about half of them will be blocked from buying a home.

The federal government has moved seven times since 2008 to tighten rules surrounding the real estate market, and practically every time, the market has shrugged off tighter rules around areas like maximum debt loads and amortization periods.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

THC posted:

Members of a thalidomide survivor group say they felt belittled and are appalled after meeting with Kent Hehr, the federal minister for persons with disabilities, and accuse him of making repugnant statements about their life expectancies.

The minister flat out denies at least one of their claims and said he has apologized if some of his comments were misinterpreted.

Fiona Sampson, a thalidomide survivor who attended the Oct. 19 meeting, told reporters on Tuesday that Hehr degraded those in attendance with his remarks.

"In response to members of the group reading really heartfelt testimonials, Minister Hehr — apropos of nothing — commented, 'Well you don't have it as bad today as adults as you did when you were kids,'" said Sampson, a human rights lawyer and chair of Thalidomide Survivors Task Group.

"Then he went on to say, 'Well you don't have it so bad. Everyone in Canada has a sob story.'"

Sampson said one of the most repugnant statements in the 30-minute meeting came after the group explained to Hehr that they have shortened lifespans and have already lost five members since the House of Commons passed a unanimous motion to support survivors back in 2014.

"He said to us, 'So you probably have about 10 years left then now. That's good news for the Canadian government.' We were shocked and appalled," she said.

Yikes.

I hope the Honourable Minister has been confining his drinking to after work, but... this would seem to put that in doubt, certainly.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Boomers win again. I'm sure half the seniors getting their subsidized bus passes are actually wealthy. Move this poo poo to a means test.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/oc-transpo-seniors-discount-more-valuable-than-low-income-discount-1.4432866

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

lmao Brian "I don't understand how we are going to compete against the Black Market" Pallister's pot plan

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/legal-age-buy-pot-manitoba-19-1.4433640

quote:

The Manitoba government's new retail guidelines will allow patrons to buy pot in store or order online — but you won't be allowed to get high on your own homegrown supply unless you have a medical licence to do so.

The province tabled its Safe and Responsible Retailing of Cannabis Act Tuesday, which prohibits cultivation in the home. The legislation outlines rules for the purchase and retail sale of cannabis, includes steep fines for those caught selling or buying illegally and gives municipalities until 2022 to hold a referendum over whether or not to allow the sale of pot locally.

The age limit for the purchase of weed will be 19; any youth caught trying to buy with fake identification will face fines. The same goes for adults over 19 who are caught buying cannabis products for young people.

Justice Minister Heather Stefanson said the government took a "balanced approach ... a responsible approach" in picking 19 as the age at which Manitobans will be allowed to buy cannabis.

Stefanson said the age provides both health protection and helps keep the marijuana trade out of the hands of gangs.

NDP justice critic Nahanni Fontaine pressed the government for details on a public awareness campaign on the health issues around marijuana during question period Tuesday.

Stefanson said her government is working with Mothers Against Drunk Driving, law enforcement agencies and Manitoba Public Insurance on the public awareness campaigns and wants the federal government to step up the effort as well.

The province is calling on the federal government to have "a robust ad campaign" on the health and safety issues surrounding the use of marijuana, she said.

Several provinces have indicated they will tie the legal age of purchasing pot to the legal age of purchasing alcohol, including Ontario — which has a legal age of 19 — and Alberta, where the legal age to buy controlled substances is 18. The legal age to purchase alcohol in Manitoba is 18.

It will also be an offence to pass a joint or otherwise give cannabis to an intoxicated person.

Online sales

All retail sales will be regulated by the Liquor and Gaming Authority of Manitoba, but that body will do so under a new moniker: the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority.

There will be two kinds of stores that will be able to sell cannabis: one will be age-restricted, meaning no one under the age of 19 will be able to enter the building. The other building will be open to members of the public of all ages but won't display weed products for sale. In each case, operators will need to obtain a retail licence from the province and ensure staff receive new training to sell cannabis.

The LGCA will also be developing programs that "encourage responsible consumption of cannabis."

Meanwhile, the Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries Corporation will issue grants to companies interested in promoting safe consumption. Two per cent of net revenue on weed sales will be funnelled into funding those promotional campaigns.

Licensed retailers with storefront property will be able to sell weed online. Anyone who orders and accepts a package of weed will need to sign, as is the case with receiving most packages, and that information will be kept on record by the province.

The legislation also restricts Manitobans who don't have a medical permit from growing plants inside their homes, similar to laws handed down in Quebec in November. Growing one to four plants at home is a provincial offence under the act; prosecuting the illegal growing of five or more plants falls under the federal criminal code.

Steeper fines

Generally speaking, cannabis offences will be handled through ticketing, similar to the current liquor regulation framework.

But the legislation also builds on current provincial alcohol restrictions, doubling penalties for offences for individuals up to $100,000, a maximum of one year behind bars, or both. Corporations face up to $500,000 for unlawful sales.

Police and existing liquor and gaming inspectors will be in charge of enforcing the law.

The personal possession limits fleshed out by the federal government will apply in Manitoba; no person will be allowed to have more than 30 grams on them at any one time.

Municipalities will also have until 2022 to decide whether they wish to allow local pot sales. Referendums can be initiated by local council resolutions or by petitions "signed by 20 per cent of electors." Referenda are generally expected to occur at the same time as municipal elections.

The province has recently said it will pursue a "hybrid model" for selling marijuana. The Liquor and Gaming Authority will regulate the purchase, storage, distribution and sale of cannabis while Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries will secure and track the supply of cannabis sold in the province.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/GlobalDurham/status/937818225630482432

As usual, my problem isn't with nuclear technology but rather I lack faith in the government to fund and maintain it properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Reince Penis posted:

https://twitter.com/GlobalDurham/status/937818225630482432

As usual, my problem isn't with nuclear technology but rather I lack faith in the government to fund and maintain it properly.

We sell nuclear reactors and nuclear reactor accessories.