Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Just a heads up guys, spoiler tags don't work on the mobile app, found that out the hard way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Immanentized posted:

Just a heads up guys, spoiler tags don't work on the mobile app, found that out the hard way.

Really? They definitely seem to work on the android app for me.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

They work on awful for iOS as well, or at least the version I’m using does. Sorry :/

I need to catch up on the series pronto! I fizzled our reading about the ghosts a little while back, but these new book has put some wind in my sails!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
My special edition of Warmaster is in transit...I’m so stoked...

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Pendent posted:

My bad then, I'm on android too, and they've never rendered for me. Glad to know I'm moot ruining anything.

The Merity reveal felt almost telegraphed after I re-read the introduction from Salvation's Reach.

Also the threats to the ghosts coming from inside reaches back to the Cuu plot from Sabbat Martyr something fierce

Also as someone who has the old Ghosts pewter models, I'm glad I can run Gaunt with my scions now. I'm in the middle of some heavy conversions getting a Ghost army for 8th ed.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 3, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One thing I've been liking about the later ghost novels, but generally remains understated, is Gaunt's growing distance from the regiment. I felt this book in particular points out the growing damage his distanced attitude is doing to the men's loyalty. With the Ghosts at the strongest they've ever been, their main threat seems to now be rot from within. As the old guard die off, leaving only scum like Meryn or raw recruits with no connection to their commanders, the regiment could tear itself apart in ways worse than chaos ever could.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

So I took a break from HH after The First Heretic. Just checked to see how many books behind I am and :catstare:.

There's 46 books?! I somehow got 30 books behind?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Devorum posted:

So I took a break from HH after The First Heretic. Just checked to see how many books behind I am and :catstare:.

There's 46 books?! I somehow got 30 books behind?

~25 bullets dodged.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
What's the best way to refresh myself on the life/death/status of all the Gaunt's cast without reading all the books prior to Warmaster showing up in the mail?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Look at the Wayback Machine's cache of the Lexicanum from a year ago?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

If you got Salvation's Reach on hand you might want to skim through it. A lot of new characters were introduced in it.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Uroboros posted:

What's the best way to refresh myself on the life/death/status of all the Gaunt's cast without reading all the books prior to Warmaster showing up in the mail?

Write down all the names you like on a 24x24 piece of poster board.
Subtract all the Gereon crew minus Ol' Murt
They're probably dead.

Laughing Zealot posted:

If you got Salvation's Reach on hand you might want to skim through it. A lot of new characters were introduced in it.

Is that where Commissar Hermoine (Fazakeil, or whatever) came from, or was that Blood Pact?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Luna Fazekiel was in Salvation's Reach, I believe. The other new characters from Blood Pact onward are Pasha, Zhukova, Gendler, Felyx Chass and Jakub Wilder, and I think Gendler. And the albino doctor.

The new Vervunhiver characters made me rethink how I viewed the Verghast detachment. I'd always considered them more like working class british and gangers, but with characters like Pasha and Zhukova I'm thinking of them more as Russians. The Belladon remind me of Americans.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Luna Fazekiel was in Salvation's Reach, I believe. The other new characters from Blood Pact onward are Pasha, Zhukova, Gendler, Felyx Chass and Jakub Wilder, and I think Gendler. And the albino doctor.

The new Vervunhiver characters made me rethink how I viewed the Verghast detachment. I'd always considered them more like working class british and gangers, but with characters like Pasha and Zhukova I'm thinking of them more as Russians. The Belladon remind me of Americans.

Audio book confirms your hunch on the Vervunhivers.
Belladon also strike me as the British Commando units, but the 81st is a dead giveaway to the American paratrooper inspiration.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No matter whether they are Russian or not, Gol Kolea is played by Ray Stevenson in my mind.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arcsquad12 posted:

The new Vervunhiver characters made me rethink how I viewed the Verghast detachment. I'd always considered them more like working class british and gangers, but with characters like Pasha and Zhukova I'm thinking of them more as Russians.
The people from the book of Stalingrad 40k made you think British? :psyduck:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arquinsiel posted:

The people from the book of Stalingrad 40k made you think British? :psyduck:

40K always makes me think british. If I want Russians I'll read about the Valhallan Ice Warriors.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Are there any stereotypical American themed imperial guard regiments in the setting? I know there are some old over-the-top regiments, like the praetorian guard (see image), but for the life of me I can’t think of anything that is overly influenced by the USA except for the John Rambo’s in Catachan.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Are there any stereotypical American themed imperial guard regiments in the setting? I know there are some old over-the-top regiments, like the praetorian guard (see image), but for the life of me I can’t think of anything that is overly influenced by the USA except for the John Rambo’s in Catachan.

Mordian Iron Guard are partially based off of the late 19th century USMC as I recall.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're just a pisstake of USMC dress uniforms and how they're at literally every televised event in the states TBH.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In the book "Gunheads" one of the Cadian tank gunners is mentioned as having a Southern drawl. Also in ADB's first book "Cadian Blood" there's a guy with a Russian accent. It's nice when authors realize that planets don't all have to be one culture.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's a regiment in the new codex that's wearing the tricorn caps of Washington's army, which you could probably manage with Cadians and historical heads.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Going off the codex-
Harkoni warhawks (maybe scottish?)
Elysian drop troops
Phantine Airborne
Scions (all spec ops, air insertion)
Cadians (ubiquity, being the standard pattern for others)

Beyond the civil war and the the Marine Corps, the American regiments of renown aren't super stand-out in terms of ability and dress.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Tempestus Scions are just the new, trademarkable, name for Storm Troopers, which is obviously generic as gently caress. Kasrkin didn't take outside Cadia, Catechan Devils outside Catechan, Grenadiers are as problematic as Storm Troopers.

In WWII terms the Parachute Infantry Regiments usually had a totally different uniform and jump boots which they wore differently to how other units wore their boots. Can't remember offhand if the glider infantry wore the same or different uniforms. Might even have changed between D-day and Market Garden due to fuss kicking.

The pre-plastics Cadians used to do a reasonable looking Desert-Storm era US Infantryman if you want to spend a silly amount of cash on them. No idea if that's intentional or not though, since it's not blatant like the Attilans being Huns, Krieg and Steel Legion being WWI and WWII german etc...

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The defining trait of the USA in WWII (which is still what defines how people think about armies even though we've totally moved on from that) wasn't our infantry, which was good, but our massive amount of well-distributed and properly controlled artillery and a willingness to employ recon by fire with our absolutely huge army of tanks.

American soldiers don't walk anywhere they don't have to anymore.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I've seen anecdotes that the Cadians are named for the Canadian Shock Troops in WW1, they scared the poo poo out of the Germans. And again in WW2.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Lorgar's Grand Plan - 40K Theories

:thunk: In Black Legion they do have the one World Eater guy laughing hysterically about how Lorgar and his pathetic Legion had won, of all people.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

wiegieman posted:

The defining trait of the USA in WWII (which is still what defines how people think about armies even though we've totally moved on from that) wasn't our infantry, which was good, but our massive amount of well-distributed and properly controlled artillery and a willingness to employ recon by fire with our absolutely huge army of tanks.

Hence my favorite quote from life as an artilleryman - "If you can't truck it, gently caress it."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At the very least Ursarkar Creed is partially inspired by Arthur Currie and John Monash.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
A few days ago the 40k thread fell into fluff chat, talked about a story with a Dark Age of Tech human space ship that rewound time to change the aiming of a shot. Anyone know where that's from?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Aaron Dembski-Bowden, Black Library author, is doing an AMA here on Friday 8th at 8pm GMT!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Moose-Alini posted:

A few days ago the 40k thread fell into fluff chat, talked about a story with a Dark Age of Tech human space ship that rewound time to change the aiming of a shot. Anyone know where that's from?
This definitely happens in Priests of Mars by Graham McNeill. I shan't quote anything here so as to avoid exposing you to the man's prose, which is a bit awkward at the best of times. :shobon:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wiegieman posted:

Also, the Catachans are the big stereotypical American Guard unit. They're a very specific snapshot of the American military, but no more or less so than any of the other nation-themed regiments.

The Vietnam War is a subgenre unto itself of American action movies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mordia and Catachan are the American regiments.

Scots are the Drookian Fen Guards.

English are all over the place.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Regarding Warmaster, Mkoll_______________ is definitely alive, right? Right?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
MkVenner

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
I remember one of the WH40K comics featured a Native American Dark Angel (I think? Been a while) going home to a genestealer infested planet. But I dunno how common that portrayal of the chapter was.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Pretty standard in the earlier Rogue Trader days. They've toned it down a bit of late though.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Lead Psychiatry posted:

I remember one of the WH40K comics featured a Native American Dark Angel (I think? Been a while) going home to a genestealer infested planet. But I dunno how common that portrayal of the chapter was.

That was also part of the Deathwing anthology, which is a pretty cool look into oldhammer.
Two-heads-talking is a Deathwing librarian who returns to a recruiting planet to find a genestealer infestation, things happen and he paints his armor white with dust and dedicated himself to death.
The comic adds some stuff about him becoming a tribal chief afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arquinsiel posted:

Pretty standard in the earlier Rogue Trader days. They've toned it down a bit of late though.

The Raven Guard are very Native American these days instead.