Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

people use extractors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blain
Mar 6, 2008

I've been using them for polymer bundles. A few hundred here and there adds up to much less dull farming.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I don't even know where I would go to get neural sensors but I hit 0 a few days ago, stuck distilling extractors on the planets that give them and now I have 30ish with no effort.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BeAuMaN posted:

I'm pretty sure extractors used to be a lot easier to deploy before the new starmap. Like wasn't there a redeploy button? or was it just really easy to re-deploy them?

I just want a separate menu in-game for extractors without having to zoom into each planet individually in clumsy fashion with the mouse. Or is there some other way to navigate them?

Nope, they've always been a pain in the rear end. But the warframe app does make them a little mpre convenient

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

:siren::siren::siren: Denzine did a thing, I officially request a change to the thread title. :siren::siren::siren:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Johnny Joestar posted:

people use extractors?
They're good for everything they can get except mutagen samples, which pretty much never come up despite them drowning you in the other two clan resources, and Orokin Cells, which come up really infrequently.

The first extractor you place can take up to 30 seconds to "place", revisit the first planet or extractor if you're placing in the actual game planet because if you leave the planet it won't place (and the game tells you it did). If you're placing on phone, it will show a waiting sign for 30-60 seconds and place fine.

I'd assume they're more useful for newer players than older players, because for example you can bury yourself in common resources that older players have in abundance. Or you can avoid having to farm neural sensors or neurodes, but I'm not even sure new players have to with the current "you get 5 just for showing up to a node on a planet that drops these" drop rate. I miss the old "30 runs to get 1" for control modules/neural sensors because I'm a bad person.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Khorne posted:

They're good for everything they can get except mutagen samples, which pretty much never come up despite them drowning you in the other two clan resources, and Orokin Cells, which come up really infrequently.

The first extractor you place can take up to 30 seconds to "place", revisit the first planet or extractor if you're placing in the actual game planet because if you leave the planet it won't place (and the game tells you it did). If you're placing on phone, it will show a waiting sign for 30-60 seconds and place fine.

I'd assume they're more useful for newer players than older players, because for example you can bury yourself in common resources that older players have in abundance. Or you can avoid having to farm neural sensors or neurodes, but I'm not even sure new players have to with the current "you get 5 just for showing up to a node on a planet that drops these" drop rate. I miss the old "30 runs to get 1" for control modules/neural sensors because I'm a bad person.

I built 3 extractors when I was MR5 or so and used them to get Neurodes when I didn't have any other place than Earth to get them. Haven't touched them ever since I unlocked another place that has plenty of that resource.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Downloaded for PC, played 30 seconds with KB + M, noped the gently caress out, downloading for PS4.

At what point should I join the PS4 clan? I don’t want to take up space until I can contribute or whatever

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Or, you know, use your controller with the PC version. Alot of people do actually do that.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Kokoro Wish posted:

Or, you know, use your controller with the PC version. Alot of people do actually do that.

I can't imagine being so utterly broken as a human being that using a controller for an FPS is your go to.

Also playing on PS4 is objectively worse, so use your controller on PC if your brain is really that shattered.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Sorry bro. Third-person action game = controller for some. The controls are good and better ergonomically.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah it’s that, if this were an FPS no problem but playing any action on a keyboard sucks clamwater and I’d rather play on a DS4 than a XBox controller

b00n
May 8, 2007
It's a third-person shooter, not a third-person action game, mouse and keyboard are still a vastly superior option compared to a controller.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

DS4 works on pc too.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Just max out the FOV before you try again.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
As a person who plays with an Xbox controller, it works pretty well. The only thing I have no confidence in doing at all compared to M+KB is sniping (only a really big deal on the plains, which is relatively recent).

Good luck on your first time doing a high level Corpus hack on a controller, though! I can never manage it in a timely manner.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is there a pistol equivalent of Hammer Shot? I quite like the mod though I'm never sure how good it actually is.

b00n
May 8, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Is there a pistol equivalent of Hammer Shot? I quite like the mod though I'm never sure how good it actually is.

Hammer Shot is a trap, you do more damage by using another 90% elemental mod.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Hammer Shot is an edge case mod, and that edge case is me getting the giggles from giving my Rubico a 13.5x multiplier at 6x zoom

Khorne
May 1, 2002

S.D. posted:

Good luck on your first time doing a high level Corpus hack on a controller, though! I can never manage it in a timely manner.
Rotate so the outer connect, 1 or 2 branches connect to triples, then rotate the inner until it finishes. You don't even need to look at the whole puzzle or think at all for 98% of the corpus hacks, the only awkward thing is when you get a lot of 1 or 2 branches.

How does controller work? Do you move between each one or is it a pointer? If it's a pointer, that's awful. Controllers in general are awful.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Khorne posted:

Rotate so the outer connect, 1 or 2 branches connect to triples, then rotate the inner until it finishes. You don't even need to look at the whole puzzle or think at all for 98% of the corpus hacks, the only awkward thing is when you get a lot of 1 or 2 branches.

How does controller work? Do you move between each one or is it a pointer? If it's a pointer, that's awful. Controllers in general are awful.

On PS4 you use the stick to highlight a segment and use r1 and r2 (shoulder buttons)to rotate. Or press triangle to use a cypher.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, a lot of it is just figuring out which segment I'm highlighting, and then which button is 'rotate left' and which is 'rotate right'.

Or I could just switch to my mouse for that part.

(Or just use a cipher unless it's a sortie, yes)

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I'm super new to this game and was wondering

-- When people refer to "level" in this game, what are they talking about? Master Rank? Frame level? Weapon level?
- When I buy a frame blueprint off the market (for in-game credits), it requires some other frame pieces. How do I find out where to get the blueprints for those other pieces (besides the Wiki)? Is there a thing in game that will tell me where to find things like that?
- Each weapon starts at 0 level and goes up to 30. Does that mean that you can be doing high difficulty missions with a level 0 weapon? Does that suck? Should you drop down to the easier missions for this or do things like frame level and such compensate?

edit: What gives you energy to power skills?

Sorry for how basic this stuff is. I am not finding the clearest answers because I think people take this baby stuff for granted after a few weeks but I'm just trying to wrap my head around the first steps. Thanks.

he1ixx fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 5, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lumpy posted:

On PS4 you use the stick to highlight a segment and use r1 and r2 (shoulder buttons)to rotate. Or press triangle to use a cypher.

You can also press X to rapidly cycle one direction if you prefer, you know. Or at least on Xbox you can press A to do so. :shrug:

Hacks are easy on a controller, just get good. It's the shooting and parkour that's quite a bit worse, more so the parkour.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

When people talk about levels, it's usually enemy levels (which function as a rough gauge of how hard an encounter is and don't correspond to player ranks at all). People will say MR when they mean mastery rank, and all weapons and frames are presumed either 30 or in the process of heading to 30.

Getting the parts for frames varies - sometimes it's boss fights, sometimes it's quests, sometimes it's something special and unintuitive. Just get used to checking the wiki for this stuff, this game can be inscrutable.

Leveling stuff up gets easier as you go, and you'll frequently be bringing unranked gear to high level encounters. It's actually the fastest way to grind, since affinity gain is proportional to enemy level :D

You get energy from blue spheres, mainly. Also from certain mods, gears and powers, but worry about that later.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

DoombatINC posted:

When people talk about levels, it's usually enemy levels (which function as a rough gauge of how hard an encounter is and don't correspond to player ranks at all). People will say MR when they mean mastery rank, and all weapons and frames are presumed either 30 or in the process of heading to 30.

Getting the parts for frames varies - sometimes it's boss fights, sometimes it's quests, sometimes it's something special and unintuitive. Just get used to checking the wiki for this stuff, this game can be inscrutable.

Leveling stuff up gets easier as you go, and you'll frequently be bringing unranked gear to high level encounters. It's actually the fastest way to grind, since affinity gain is proportional to enemy level :D

You get energy from blue spheres, mainly. Also from certain mods, gears and powers, but worry about that later.

perfect. thanks for the info

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ive been playing a few days and hit MR 5 and have no idea what the fuuuuuck is going on but its pretty fun. my rhino is gonna poo poo out tomorrow and im pretty excited about that

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

he1ixx posted:

-- When people refer to "level" in this game, what are they talking about? Master Rank? Frame level? Weapon level?

Yes. Also mod levels, because you need to upgrade those, and Focus, which is the late-game infinigrind.

quote:

- When I buy a frame blueprint off the market (for in-game credits), it requires some other frame pieces. How do I find out where to get the blueprints for those other pieces (besides the Wiki)? Is there a thing in game that will tell me where to find things like that?

You can go to the region chat and ask things like "where volt", a bot in the channel will tell you. You can ask other thing, like "When Baro" and get a answer. The allowance for spelling errors is pretty broad, so sometimes people will just be in there spamming "when borko my dorko", it's pretty great.

quote:

- Each weapon starts at 0 level and goes up to 30. Does that mean that you can be doing high difficulty missions with a level 0 weapon? Does that suck? Should you drop down to the easier missions for this or do things like frame level and such compensate?

The level your weapon is at = the energy it has. You can double that by putting a catalyst in it. Some mod slots have polarity icons on them, and dropping a matching mod in that slol will half the cost. Finally, your mastery rank will grant you a minimum of energy. I'm rank 17, so every weapon I get already has 17 energy to work with. I have to get weapons up to level 18 before I see more energy coming in.

After you get a weapon or frame up to 30, you can install forma to put one of those polarize icons on a mod slot. This resets the weapon to level 0. Leveling up anything gives you mastery xp, unless you're re-levelling something you just put forma into.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Maxwell Adams posted:

After you get a weapon or frame up to 30, you can install forma to put one of those polarize icons on a mod slot. This resets the weapon to level 0. Leveling up anything gives you mastery xp, unless you're re-levelling something you just put forma into.

this .... um.... what? why would you want to reset a weapon to level 0? What is polarize? (is that what halves the cost of mods?). What is max mastery level?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

he1ixx posted:

I'm super new to this game and was wondering

Sorry for how basic this stuff is. I am not finding the clearest answers because I think people take this baby stuff for granted after a few weeks but I'm just trying to wrap my head around the first steps. Thanks.

1. I would say that *generally* when someone says level they are referring to enemy level on an individual mission or node (so a Sortie 1 has level ~50 enemies for example). After that it would be weapon or frame level. I think most folks generally use MR for mastery rank. Keep in mind that for your character, there's no measure of power that corresponds to what "level" would mean in say, WoW or something. Power is entirely governed by the mods that you have installed and the general power of the equipment you are using. There are lots of benefits for increasing your account MR but I can't think of any that have a direct impact on combat.

2. The wiki (http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki). Theoretically that info is in the in-game Codex, maybe. But this is really a wiki game and I think you'll be a lot happier if you accept that early on. The wiki is quite good and generally accurate. There's a ridiculous amount of poo poo in this game and you'll save a lot of time if you just use the wiki liberally. There isn't much to be spoiled on, outside of the two main cinematic quests: The Second Dream and The War Within.

3. Equipment level strictly has to do with how much mod capacity you have on that piece of equipment (1 point of capacity per level, 2 if it has a reactor/catalyst installed). It has nothing to do with statistical power (weapons don't gain damage/crit/etc as they level). As your account increases in Mastery Rank, you get more baseline mod capacity on your un-leveled gear. So for example, I'm MR 24 and if I build a new weapon, I'll have 24 points of mod capacity in it (48 if I potato it, potato being slang for reactors/catalysts), as if it was a level 24 weapon. So I can happily bring a level 0 gun to almost any content. The power of any piece of gear is basically entirely determined by it's base stats+installed mods.

4. Energy comes from blue energy orbs dropped by enemies/crates/etc. Later on you will gain the means to generate it in other ways. First will probably be an aura mod for your warframe called Energy Siphon which provides a small amount of passive energy regen. There are other much more powerful means but they are gated behind progression systems (team energy restores are a consumable item you can buy the recipe for from Syndicates and craft relatively trivially) or quests (The Second Dream and The War Within will unlock the ability for you to acquire some powerful semi-passive energy regen).

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

he1ixx posted:

this .... um.... what? why would you want to reset a weapon to level 0? What is polarize? (is that what halves the cost of mods?). What is max mastery level?

Some of the mod slots on a piece of gear can have a little symbol on it. If that matches the symbol on the mod (V, -, D, etc) then the mod only costs half of the points it normally would to equip to that slot.

You can use an item called Forma on a level 30 item to reset its level back to 0, but add a symbol to one of its mod slots. Do this enough and you can pile a ludicrous amount of high-cost mods into one weapon, taking it from "gun" to "nightmare hellcannon". It helps that once you're not an ultra-newbie and have a handle on the basic game flow, you can take a weapon from 0 to 30 in no time flat with goon support.

Your account logs the highest level you get each and every different piece of gear to, and gives you account experience for that. This is how you raise your MR, or Mastery Rank. Level lots of different weapons to 30 to squeeze all the MR out of them. However, if you reset a weapon to 0 and level it again, you don't get /more/ account experience, because the game goes "hey hold on you already leveled the Ice Beam to 30, go level something else if you want account exp."

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 5, 2017

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

he1ixx posted:

Polarizing causes the mods to use half capacity, or half the amount of weapon power, to fit. Say you've got a maxed out copy of Serration for your rifle, which costs 14 capacity to install has a V polarity (the little icon in the corner of the mod). If you use a Forma to add a V polarity to one of your mod slots, you can install Serration for just 7 capacity. The downside is that you now need to re-rank the weapon, but once you do you'll have seven more capacity to play with than before. It's like a prestige system, kind of.

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

he1ixx posted:

Mods take up only half capacity when you put them in a slot with the matching icon. Effectively this gives you more capacity, which means you can add more and/or better mods to a weapon or warframe. Forma are used to add or change an icon which also resets the level of the weapon or warframe to zero. This isn't really an issue since you can level stuff really quickly later on and using forma isn't something you need to early on. Important to note though that you only gain mastery for leveling something the first time. Adding forma and releveling won't give you any more mastery.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

he1ixx posted:

Polarity is the little icons on mods and mod slots. If they match is uses half as much power. If it doesn't math it uses twice as much. If the slot has no polarity it uses the amount on the mod.

When an item is rank 30 you can use a forma to change the polarity of one slot. This resets it to 0 but let's you do more sophisticated and powerful builds with expensive mods once you grind it back up up to 30.

As a new player though you don't need to worry about theory crafting and 3 forma builds that much. At most you'll want to put one forma in favorite frames to make the aura slot match corpro, the best aura.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I guess the people who said "the Warframe community is helpful" were right :3: Thanks everybody for the responses.

I originally tried this game out on the PS4 supposedly 796d ago according to my account data. I played some single player content and was stymied by the end boss encounter loving up and never matchmaking me or crashing or something so I never went back to it. I downloaded it again on a whim and can't get over what's been done in the meantime. Great graphics, fun movement mechanics (which I never knew about before) and tons and tons of deep layered content. Pretty impressive so far. I should be excited for the Destiny 2 DLC dropping today but I really just want to go back and get to Venus.

Oh one more question:

The tutorial videos say "Clear all of the flashing nodes on each planet to progress." but on Earth, I hit a point where I can go to Cetus or work on collecting mods to unlock Venus. Cetus gave me a bounty mission on the plains which I did but it looks like it wants me to do more and it didn't unlock any nodes to get further into Earth. Am I doing something wrong? Should I clear the Venus gate and somehow come back to Earth later? Do I need to do something in Cetus/The Plains to open more mission nodes on Earth?

Intuitively I think I'm supposed to just move on to Venus but I really have no idea...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Cetus is the special open world poo poo. Ignore it for now.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Cetus is the special open world poo poo. Ignore it for now.

So just move on to collecting mods so I can unlock the gate to Venus? I think I need 3 or 4 more to unlock that...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

he1ixx posted:

The tutorial videos say "Clear all of the flashing nodes on each planet to progress." but on Earth, I hit a point where I can go to Cetus or work on collecting mods to unlock Venus.

I asked the same question and plains of eidolon means earth is both the tutorial and endgame planet now, which is probably why it seems more confusing than average for Warframe

just do what each solar rail asks you to do and move on. Other planets won't have this weird bullshit going on, probably.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

he1ixx posted:

I guess the people who said "the Warframe community is helpful" were right :3: Thanks everybody for the responses.

I originally tried this game out on the PS4 supposedly 796d ago according to my account data. I played some single player content and was stymied by the end boss encounter loving up and never matchmaking me or crashing or something so I never went back to it. I downloaded it again on a whim and can't get over what's been done in the meantime. Great graphics, fun movement mechanics (which I never knew about before) and tons and tons of deep layered content. Pretty impressive so far. I should be excited for the Destiny 2 DLC dropping today but I really just want to go back and get to Venus.

Oh one more question:

The tutorial videos say "Clear all of the flashing nodes on each planet to progress." but on Earth, I hit a point where I can go to Cetus or work on collecting mods to unlock Venus. Cetus gave me a bounty mission on the plains which I did but it looks like it wants me to do more and it didn't unlock any nodes to get further into Earth. Am I doing something wrong? Should I clear the Venus gate and somehow come back to Earth later? Do I need to do something in Cetus/The Plains to open more mission nodes on Earth?

Intuitively I think I'm supposed to just move on to Venus but I really have no idea...

This is mostly unrelated to your current question, but my advice to you as a new player on how to really view this game:

Most new players I've spoken to have had a much easier time grokking the structure of the game as a whole when I told them that "mods are progression". Your weapon and Warframe levels aren't ultimately that important, they are just a means to the end of slotting more and better mods. Collecting more mods, and levelling those mods up, is where your actual power progression comes from. Mods are the measure of how loving swole you are in this game and what kind of content you are able to tackle.

Getting sweet new gear like Prime weapons and Warframes is still important, but modding is the core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Does warframe have two factor authentication and does it do anything for this game?