Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
are the guys advocating stealing army stuff for beer money the same group lamenting that it sucks how you can't trust anyone to do their job right and make good decisions, or am i unfairly connecting separate factions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Flikken posted:

You are counting on organizations that failed bureaucratly on a proper clearing and ETS to do the IRS garnishment paperwork correctly?

I expect taking money out of your pocket is the one thing that gets done properly.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I don’t expect he Army to be fiscally responsible when our loving GOP can’t.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Midjack posted:

I expect taking money out of your pocket is the one thing that gets done properly.

I never turned in my gear, left most of it locked in a footlocker and locker in my armory. Have not heard a single word about it. This was 9 years ago, I simply ets'd.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
My BN commander and one of our 1SGs is traveling out of state for some Army bullshit and instead of each person getting their own room like they're entitled to they're going to share a room because my BN CO wants to save the Army a few hundred dollars. How brainwashed do you have to be that saving the Army a few hundred dollars is a good idea? God drat.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
CO will get a medal for fiscal responsibility and the future budget for travel will get cut because ‘it’s been shown that by combining rooms we could save money’ which will also get another O a bullet on his OER

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i did a competition against some canadians and came in second (out of two, so last place). on my resume, i put "second place in so-and-so international competition"

if i do that, i can easily see how a CO would do some really stupid poo poo for a bullet point.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

My BN commander and one of our 1SGs is traveling out of state for some Army bullshit and instead of each person getting their own room like they're entitled to they're going to share a room because my BN CO wants to save the Army a few hundred dollars. How brainwashed do you have to be that saving the Army a few hundred dollars is a good idea? God drat.

This could be tryhard mode, but sometimes the unit's budget very clearly says you either share rooms or no one travels.

Travel guidance got real weird during sequestration and resulted in total cancellation of important trips as well as really stupid travel setups for other trips.

I also got to pay about 6-8 grand out of pocket, which eventually got repaid, but I had to start a turfwar between my boss and the retiree comptroller who was pissy about my travel for no real reason.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
That will not even remotely register as a bullet point for a Bn CDR. I don't really see the problem if they're doing it voluntarily and not pressuring others to give up their JTR rights, and it's sort of a ridiculous argument to say that they are doing something bad unless your political position is that every soldier has a moral imperative to spend money. If he wants to jack off in the bathroom instead of the bed, then let him. There is enough legit poo poo to whine about.

mlmp08 posted:

This could be tryhard mode, but sometimes the unit's budget very clearly says you either share rooms or no one travels.

This happens too. It may look silly to guys on the line, but if the boss says "we're spending too much on TDY" and you want to be able to influence the boss, then don't spend too much on TDY.

Ambihelical Hexnut fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 3, 2017

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mustang posted:

Entitled? Slow your roll sir

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

are the guys advocating stealing army stuff for beer money the same group lamenting that it sucks how you can't trust anyone to do their job right and make good decisions, or am i unfairly connecting separate factions?

You weren't there, man.

There's only one thief in the Marine Corps. Everyone else is just trying to get their poo poo back.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

when in rome

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

rape and pillage?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Boys will be boys!!!!!

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

rape and pillage?

Your Battle Buddy posted:

Boys will be boys!!!!!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Good news story time.

I lift weights with an old vietnam vet who's been fighting some weird cancer for the last couple of years. I bugged him about doing a VA disability claim (he had never done one because "I'm not disables hur hur hur").

Anyway, I get his medical records and other paperwork and help him file.

Guess what? Agent Orange exposure and his cancer is on the list of crap agent orange causes. 100% disability, non-working (more money somehow), and a six figure lump sum for back pay.

That old motherfucker is the happiest man in the gym.

Side note: gently caress the Army's height/weight chart. I get pissed at skinny little weak wristed colonels who think because they can run forever and just go home to shower after an pft they're the poo poo.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 5, 2017

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

Good news story time.

I lift weights with an old vietnam vet who's been fighting some weird cancer for the last couple of years. I bugged him about doing a VA disability claim (he had never done one because "I'm not disables hur hur hur").

Anyway, I get his medical records and other paperwork and help him file.

Guess what? Agent Orange exposure and his cancer is on the list of crap agent orange causes. 100% disability, non-working (more money somehow), and a six figure lump sum for back pay.

That old motherfucker is the happiest man in the gym.

Side note: gently caress the Army's height/weight chart. I get pissed at skinny little weak wristed colonels who think because they can run forever and just go home to shower after an pft they're the poo poo.

I hope he buys you a beer.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I hate Army PT period, get rid of it and let dudes work out on their own time. If they can’t physically perform for their jobs then chapter them out. Army PT is just a tremendous waste of time with no benefit.

Dudes can do PT every day and still fail an APFT because they just don’t give a poo poo.

I don’t even get the comraderie part, running in formation is dumb and sucks

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Let the hate flow through you.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
lmbo.

to chapter all the people that would fail IMMEDIATELY you would have to lower the recruiting standards to "Is alive y/n?" and once the OCP project gets underway that criteria will be null

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Maybe you haven't heard that the Army needs like 16,000+ more troops and they're waiving marijuana drug use. The chances they'd chapter them out is lollable.

THIS ISN'T THE OLD ARMY THAT I REMEMBER

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
tbf i really had wished marijuana charges were waiverable when I was recruiting, I think i could have put in some quality kids that had that. its dumb as gently caress too because like in idaho a roach or something will get you some huge charge but 30 miles away in Washington those kids wont even have to face those charges (after 21 etc) but its so loving stupid

DEMON WEED

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just saying that the army is all about retention and recruiting these days, probably more so than 2-3 years ago.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Mustang posted:

I hate Army PT period, get rid of it and let dudes work out on their own time. If they can’t physically perform for their jobs then chapter them out. Army PT is just a tremendous waste of time with no benefit.

Dudes can do PT every day and still fail an APFT because they just don’t give a poo poo.

I don’t even get the comraderie part, running in formation is dumb and sucks

Report to my office for Reneducation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlyzkw1we_g

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Nice and hot piss posted:

Maybe you haven't heard that the Army needs like 16,000+ more troops and they're waiving marijuana drug use. The chances they'd chapter them out is lollable.

THIS ISN'T THE OLD ARMY THAT I REMEMBER

what makes me laugh is they're still pretty loving dumb about kicking people they don't need to out. Had someone that was RCP'd because he chose an MOS that doesn't promote.

I've seen exactly 1 person get a 798 promotion score. That dude was loving, I don't know, insanely motivated.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i think i got promoted to E6 when cut off dropped to like 760 or something lol.

it doesnt take motivation as much as it takes just loving time if you're not trying to be CSM or something

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Up or out means the force is, by design, an annual meat grinding machine. There is no master above manning requirements.

Similar to how businesses fire people to generate short term savings that makes their board temporarily happy, annual fluctuation of end strength is congress/etc pulling the slot machine arm that could display waivers, bonuses, retention boards, and enforcing rules everyone ignores, depending on how the budgetary random number generator works out. The need to grow or shrink trickles down the echelons in predictably alternating cycles. Down at the user level this looks like chaptering a fat guy in September then giving another one a waiver and reenlistment bonus in October.

You can't really apply your human logic to it.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i'm really high right now and i'm really like super loving glad I dont have to deal with that stupid loving poo poo in my life anymore qtiyd

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
but i cant stop reading about its stupid poo poo help

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

spacetoaster posted:

Good news story time.

Good for him. My dad (also Vietnam vet) fought for a long time to get his cancer covered by the VA. Oncologist letters, testimonies at hearings, etc. He got denied, then his appeal got denied. I'm glad it works for some people.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i'm really high right now and i'm really like super loving glad I dont have to deal with that stupid loving poo poo in my life anymore qtiyd

me too

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Oh good, it's that time of year where we get costly and embarrassing spirit week army/navy videos. There's one by USMA that is 11 drat minutes long. Didn't watch it, but skipping around, it's mostly general standing around talking or walking places With A Purpose.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

Naked Bear posted:

If you're not doing ACAP or ACAP-related stuff all day, every day for your last several months then you're doing it wrong.

I know right. I started that poo poo loving like 9 month out. I didnt play when it came to clearing, my fatty ADA wanna be Army soldier 1SG that I was sent to for medboard from OCONUS was so tired of my poo poo he literally signed his name to the majority of my BDE and BN clearing packet.

lmfao, gently caress those wanna be hater rear end soldiers, they were so angry to receive me, see that I was not "deploying to Kuwait" after doing tours in real units. loving shame the poo poo show that was. It really left a bad taste in my mouth even more so. Ill never get the hate that those seniors have for those getting out or getting out because doctors loving cut their back to pieces and ruined their lives.

Yeah dude, I am really happy I played the game and now im loving the army in the rear end. So gently caress them. Also nothing like starting the day with a bowl at 7 am as I think about all the miserable pointless unorganized poo poo those poor souls are currently dealing with.

I always think about safety briefs on Friday as I am floating through space

boop the snoot posted:

i made several hundred dollars on that "extra ruck and some ammo pouches" and i have no problem getting one over on the army for several hundred dollars.

Just CYA and ensure they wont come after you later. YMMV. I just took all the extrra poo poo I had to surplus threw it on the ground and he told me to pick everything I needed for clearing. Ya know all the cool poo poo they gave us while down range that they said was ours. Yeah it wasnt.

all apologies fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 5, 2017

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

all apologies posted:

safety applies to space too soldier

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

all apologies posted:

I know right. I started that poo poo loving like 9 month out. I didnt play when it came to clearing, my fatty ADA wanna be Army soldier 1SG that I was sent to for medboard from OCONUS was so tired of my poo poo he literally signed his name to the majority of my BDE and BN clearing packet.

lmfao, gently caress those wanna be hater rear end soldiers, they were so angry to receive me, see that I was not "deploying to Kuwait" after doing tours in real units. loving shame the poo poo show that was. It really left a bad taste in my mouth even more so. Ill never get the hate that those seniors have for those getting out or getting out because doctors loving cut their back to pieces and ruined their lives.

Yeah dude, I am really happy I played the game and now im loving the army in the rear end. So gently caress them. Also nothing like starting the day with a bowl at 7 am as I think about all the miserable pointless unorganized poo poo those poor souls are currently dealing with.

Just CYA and ensure they wont come after you later. YMMV. I just took all the extrra poo poo I had to surplus threw it on the ground and he told me to pick everything I needed for clearing. Ya know all the cool poo poo they gave us while down range that they said was ours. Yeah it wasnt.

Amen

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Just saw the spirit week video. I want a tax refund for the money they spent on that stupid poo poo.

On second thought just shutter all service academies.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I was asked to make an "Go Army/Beat Navy" video for I Corps and told them I would up until they liked my idea, and then made me remove 20 seconds out of a 30 second commercial so that the CG could say his name and "Go Army!" I ended up saying no.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

just shutter all service academies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Agreed