Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Speaking of Prague, there was a competition called sexist piggy, to determine the most sexist ads. Sex sells as everyone knows but some of these really do raise it to the next level beyond the usual "girl in bikini posing next to product". These are among the winning entries as judged by a panel and public vote:

"The path to success doesn't have to be difficult, if you understand it." - Lenka Vesela, banking adviser. It's an ad for a radio station :confused:

Shall we get to work? This would've been bad in any situation but it's a personnel agency supposedly. Although their site is dead so it might as well be a brothel.

Suck out everything that smells. It's a septic services company.

Profession for those, who care about security.//Team, on which you can lean [rely].

Even the beaver goes to the saw. Lumber supply company, and yes, beaver has the same connotations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
The latest progressive-regressive personal income tax reform in Estonia, in effect from 1st of January.

x-axis is yearly income, y-axis is tax rate.

I don't even know how it came to that.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

This doesn't bode well.

https://twitter.com/julianborger/status/935554237995548673

Ah, Tillerson is talking about normalizing relations with Russia depends on Ukraine.

http://liveuamap.com/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's pretty insane to me how much power the single executive seat holds in the US, explicitly and in all the smaller ways it trickles down to policy

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well, I guess as long as it doesn't involve Russian peacemakers slowly stealing territory that might not be the worst idea, because people are still dying there.

E: actually his statement is pretty solid, not that it's likely to resolve anything:

quote:

The secretary of state defended his record after a speech on US-European relations that emphasised Nato solidarity in the face of what he called Russian “aggression”, ruling out lifting Ukraine-related sanctions until the country’s territorial integrity had been fully restored.

Tillerson said the conflict in Ukraine would not be resolved without the restoration of Ukrainian sovereignty and territorial integrity. That would entail a reversal of Russia’s annexation of Crimea and a withdrawal of its support for separatists in western Ukraine, in line with a 2014 agreement in Minsk.

“Any resolution of the war that doesn’t entail a fully independent, sovereign and territorially whole Ukraine is unacceptable,” Tillerson said. “Russia chose to violate the sovereignty of the largest country in Europe. The United States and Europe have stood shoulder to shoulder since 2014 in confronting this Russian aggression with a coordinated sanctions policy.”

Tillerson added: “Let me clear. Minsk-related sanctions will remain in place until Russia reverses the actions that triggered them.”

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 28, 2017

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
One of our (Croatian) war criminals , general Praljak, just drunk something in front of cameras during sentencing in Hague

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/nov/29/un-war-crimes-defendant-claims-to-drink-poison-at-trial-in-hague-slobodan-praljak

quote:

Seconds after his sentence was upheld, former military commander Slobodan Praljak, 72, shouted out angrily: “Praljak is not a criminal. I reject your verdict.”

He then raised a small brown bottle to his lips, and drank it in full view of the cameras filming the hearing.

The hearing was then quickly suspended as Praljak’s lawyer shouted out: “My client says he has taken poison.”

Local media reports he died in hospital.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Gervasius posted:

One of our (Croatian) war criminals , general Praljak, just drunk something in front of cameras during sentencing in Hague

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/nov/29/un-war-crimes-defendant-claims-to-drink-poison-at-trial-in-hague-slobodan-praljak

Well that's one way to make sure you get the last word.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gervasius posted:

Once you start referring to yourself in the third person, it's probably time to go.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
He was among other things a theater director. Shows he kept his sense for drama.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Malaver posted:

He was among other things a theater director. Shows he kept his sense for drama.

Wait, like a military theater or broadway theater?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Wait, like a military theater or broadway theater?
The latter, TV director as well.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Yeah, not a typical soldier. Graduated three university programs - electrical engineering, sociology/philosophy, theater or film directing. I'm not sure he had any military experience (except for the mandatory army service) before the war.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/TimesofIsrael/status/935938966536122368

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

... the Aristocrats.

2017 is a little different.
(And the scary part seems to be that the only difference is, poo poo gets revealed now!)

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

mobby_6kl posted:

Well, I guess as long as it doesn't involve Russian peacemakers slowly stealing territory that might not be the worst idea, because people are still dying there.

E: actually his statement is pretty solid, not that it's likely to resolve anything:

And now Tillerson is getting canned. Nobody puts Baby in the corner!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

For the last few weeks a group claiming to be Anonymous Poland has been falsely claiming Bellingcat worked with them on the hack of data from Ukraine and the hacks of Lithuanian banks. They've been renaming dozens of zombie Twitter accounts to impersonate me, Bellingcat, and my staff members, even using fake news websites. The Daily Beast did a write up about it here

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kremlin-linked-hackers-expose-a-network-of-fake-tech-news-sites

The dumbest thing about this is they've been using dozens of these zombie accounts, fake news websites that have been stealing articles for over a year from other sites to appear legitimate, and have spent 3 weeks posting every day trying to link Bellingcat to these hacks, but all it's achieved is a couple of Daily Beast articles and a headache for Twitter Support. If I was Russia I'd ask for my money back.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

It doesn't really make much sense to give the country whose troops have invaded and whose support the irregular combatants rely upon a way to install a tripwire in the region with international legitimacy. Look at how that turned out for Georgia - they got shelled regularly from across the Russian-peacekeeper patrolled border for half a year with no way to retaliate and no response from Russia. When they eventually did retaliate, Russia justified a large scale invasion as a response to attacks on their peacekeepers.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Apparently the Russian Orthodox Church are conducting an investigation to see whether Tsar Nicholas II was ritual-murdered by Jews so the Bolsheviks could achieve world domination.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

vyelkin posted:

Apparently the Russian Orthodox Church are conducting an investigation to see whether Tsar Nicholas II was ritual-murdered by Jews so the Bolsheviks could achieve world domination.

No-one is talking about Jews, but it's still pretty ridiculous on the surface. It would be like one of Pelevin's books where Chapaev is a Buddhist mystic.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Paladinus posted:

No-one is talking about Jews, but it's still pretty ridiculous on the surface. It would be like one of Pelevin's books where Chapaev is a Buddhist mystic.

When they say "ritual murder" by "Bolsheviks" they mean Jews.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

vyelkin posted:

When they say "ritual murder" by "Bolsheviks" they mean Jews.

I know it's an easy conclusion to jump to in today's political climate, but the man behind this hypothesis, Bishop Shevkunov, says the following:

'ROC understands ritualistic murder of the Czar's family specifically as an act of revolutionary bolshevik vengeance. [...] I've spoken to the leader of the largest Jewish community in Russia, Alexander Boroda, and explained our position. As I see it, he was absolutely satisfied with our explanation.'

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Some of my best friends are Jewish!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Paladinus posted:

I know it's an easy conclusion to jump to in today's political climate, but the man behind this hypothesis, Bishop Shevkunov, says the following:

'ROC understands ritualistic murder of the Czar's family specifically as an act of revolutionary bolshevik vengeance. [...] I've spoken to the leader of the largest Jewish community in Russia, Alexander Boroda, and explained our position. As I see it, he was absolutely satisfied with our explanation.'

Even RT made this link man, come on.

quote:

“The murder of the Tsar and his family was a very special act with a ritual and symbolic meaning as it put an end to the 300-year Romanov dynasty, which was loathed by the new authorities,” Tikhon said. “Bolsheviks and their henchmen of all sorts were not alien to very unexpected and various ritual symbolism,” he added, citing Vladimir Lenin’s Mausoleum in Moscow as an example of a typical ritual building.

“Back in 2015 when the new probe just started it was announced that investigators would look into all theories without a single exception. It would be strange, to say the least, if today we exclude just one theory from the research done by professional historians and forensic experts,” he said.

Chief spokesman of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia, Rabbi Boruch Gorin told Interfax that he and his co-believers were shocked by the statements made by representatives of the Investigative Committee and the Russian Orthodox Church.

He noted that the representatives of the Committee and the Church have not connected the Romanov family’s killing with Jews in their statements. However, any educated person who knows the history of these accusations would understand that they mean the theory that the killing was a Kabbalah ritual organized by Jewish members of the Bolshevik Party.

“We, as a Jewish community are shocked not only because of the absurdity of such assumptions. The myths about the existence of ritual killings relate to various cults and religions, but in Russia … this has become a typical anti-Semitic myth, used by anti-Semitic propaganda for several decades,” Gorin said. “In our view, the absurdity of this theory is evident, because it’s obvious that the murder was committed by complete atheists – people who had rejected any faith in any powers apart from what can be done with their own hands.”

https://www.rt.com/politics/411172-investigators-to-probe-sacrifice-theory/

The ritual murder theory that they want to investigate is a "ritual murder by Jews" theory, the fact that they claim otherwise at the moment doesn't matter. And I know this is a weird way to prove it, but read the comments on that article. It's nothing but "the murderers were Zionists", "the Jews are scared the truth will be exposed", etc. It's the loudest dogwhistle in the world.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

vyelkin posted:

Even RT made this link man, come on.

The ritual murder theory that they want to investigate is a "ritual murder by Jews" theory, the fact that they claim otherwise at the moment doesn't matter. And I know this is a weird way to prove it, but read the comments on that article. It's nothing but "the murderers were Zionists", "the Jews are scared the truth will be exposed", etc. It's the loudest dogwhistle in the world.

I know of the existing conspiracy theory, yes, and an official investigation that can potentially rectify that, in fact, no, it's not some secret Jewish ritual, but a secular one, is a good thing ultimately, even if a bunch of anti-Semites cling to it. Those people don't need a reason to hate Jews, no matter what, and any piece of news they see as an undeniable proof of their beliefs. When the investigation inevitably concludes in strong terms that there is no connection to any Jewish religious practices, they'll just say that the Jews have obviously infiltrated ROC to hide the truth.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Across November there had been some stink in Polish social media regarding tracked packages from Southeast Asia that either disappeared outright (stopped tracking after dispatch from the country of origin) or got delayed for up to two months. Turns out, a Holy Roman Empire-obsessed NGO that was already known for influencing right-wing politicians colluded with the national post office to stop the import of female birth control.

quote:

Ordo Iuris claims that their guidelines for prosecutors on the crime of inciting abortion allowed to block shipments with emergency contraception and pharmacological abortion kits. The PiS surveillance law has helped, which allows the services to follow online activity. And parcels disappear, you do not even know where and how

Shipments simply ceased to exist. Now you know why. It started with the fact that the prosecutor's office ordered Ordo Iuris with legal expertise ...

From October 2017, foreign shipments with emergency contraception and pharmacological abortion kits are not available to Polish women. As OKO.press wrote, the case concerns hundreds of postal orders sent from several countries (China, India or Bangladesh). Shipments have not even been registered by Poczta Polska, and this means that you can not trace where they are.

RIP goons importing anime figurines.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ruffian Price posted:

Across November there had been some stink in Polish social media regarding tracked packages from Southeast Asia that either disappeared outright (stopped tracking after dispatch from the country of origin) or got delayed for up to two months. Turns out, a Holy Roman Empire-obsessed NGO that was already known for influencing right-wing politicians colluded with the national post office to stop the import of female birth control.

How is this a real story? :wtc:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
So that is why I'm still waiting for my copy of Gloomhaven.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Looks like last sunday Saakashvili was arrested.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.2b2d188e7ef4

quote:

...Several hours after Sunday’s rally, about 150 people in camouflage and balaclava masks blocked the entrance to the only Ukrainian television station that covered Saakashvili’s rally.
They demanded that the station change its editorial policies and that its owner, parliament member Yegeny Murayev, apologize for remarks that they regarded as disrespectful of the 2014 Kiev protests....

That says enough.
edit: wait, that was the other article.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/05/former-georgian-president-mikheil-saakashvili-is-detained-in-ukraine

He was arrested today.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 5, 2017

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Ruffian Price posted:

The reincarnation of Anthony Comstock is upon us.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

How is this a real story? :wtc:
Why would anyone buy contraceptives off aliexpress in the first place

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Because that's their only option? Amazon isn't allowed to sell them in poland while ali express gives 0 fucks about that is my guess.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
It seems that supporters of Saakashvili released him from the car he was taken into before he could be taken away.

https://1plus1.ua/1plus1video/novos..._campaign=media

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Will Poroshenko be impeached? If yes, will Russia annex accept more Ukrainian territories after a completely legitimate referendum?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Or people will get tired and vote in whatever Russian puppet Putin sends. Maaaybe Donetsk and Luhansk end only as autonomous regions instead of SSR (or whatever's the name of new Russian Federation Republics).

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/FT/status/938033305072652288

https://twitter.com/RFERL/status/938057339743166465

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Ruffian Price posted:

Why is a Polish NGO obsessed with the HRE?

Please tell me they are run by a guy who claims to be the rightful Emperor.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Will Poroshenko be impeached? If yes, will Russia annex accept more Ukrainian territories after a completely legitimate referendum?

I don't think I'm comfortable making any bets here. Doubt Russian military will step in, but the political drama/fallout is going to be a lot of "fun", should that happen.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/938113541038661632

Russia has bigger problems

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Heh, finally remembered the check the medal tally after Sochi, and after the disqualifications Russia is now in 4th overall in medals. Norway rules supreme!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rincewinds posted:

Heh, finally remembered the check the medal tally after Sochi, and after the disqualifications Russia is now in 4th overall in medals. Norway rules supreme!

Ah yes, the national team full asthmatics is the supreme ruler now that the cheating nation has been dealt with.