Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Hershel Walker Cuyler Them Dawgs is Hell Don't They, I name you the GENUINE number one raper hater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It's going to be interesting on how they deal with it.

I mean I get the Innocent Until Proven Guilty Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. I think it's a really important part of our system of justice.

HOWEVER:

1) That statement is pretty graphic and detailed in its description of events. I'm certainly persuaded this is a legitimate complaint and it's very likely *something* untoward happened.

2) Given the endemic and pernicious pattern of how colleges handle claims of sexual abuse and rape, I have a hard time believing the university will move swiftly on this or even do anything more than a cursory "investigation into our athletic program (which happens to make us money)".

I doubt the school will do anything substantive. Certainly not until after Bowl Season.

I can only hope the real police aren't Keystone Kops and do a thorough investigation.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Proteus Jones posted:

It's going to be interesting on how they deal with it.

I mean I get the Innocent Until Proven Guilty Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. I think it's a really important part of our system of justice

This is the standard of proof for determining whether or not he receives criminal punishment, it doesnt also need to be the standard for determining if he should face a suspension from the football team.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Metapod posted:

Anderson won't be kicked off the team or suspended

Under Bob Stoops I would unfortunately 100% agree, but I'm hopeful that Lincoln Riley handles this situation better.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

MourningView posted:

This is the standard of proof for determining whether or not he receives criminal punishment, it doesnt also need to be the standard for determining if he should face a suspension from the football team.

Yea, the simple solution is an indefinite suspension now and depending on how things turn out you either invite him back or remove him from the team.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

iospace posted:

:stonk:

But why do I get a feeling that nothing ultimately will happen.

Oh right, the endless other cases where nothing has ultimately happened until it became an epidemic on campus.

I meant for the sake of the victim. They absolutely should be putting Anderson on blast, suspending him, etc. But it's kind of lovely for the victim to have the details of what happened to you publicized just because the assailant had some level of fame.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

iospace posted:

Yes, and I mean it.

Maybe people should feel disgusted that this poo poo happens instead of shrugging and going "Boys will be boys".

The people that say "boys will be boys" will still handwave it away, if they bother to read the details at all.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Crotch Bat posted:

Yea, the simple solution is an indefinite suspension now and depending on how things turn out you either invite him back or remove him from the team.

This is how Tech handled heir apparent QB Jett Duffey. He was accused of rape and suspended. Charges weren't filed, but his university title IX hearing determined that he would have a 1 year school suspension. He wasn't allowed on campus during that time and was obviously suspended from the football team. He was allowed back on campus this summer and was reinstated to the team in the fall.

Investigation and punishment was handled separate the team and he was treated as any other student would have been, which I think is appropriate.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dango Bango posted:

I meant for the sake of the victim. They absolutely should be putting Anderson on blast, suspending him, etc. But it's kind of lovely for the victim to have the details of what happened to you publicized just because the assailant had some level of fame.

Jeez, they didn't name her did they? Usually the media is very careful not to identify victims.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dango Bango posted:

They didn't name her.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Unfortunately her name is online, as a few ou fan boards have so kindly highlighted

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Quandary posted:

Unfortunately her name is online, as a few ou fan sites have so kindly highlighted

Welp that's mighty hosed up :(

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Welp that's mighty hosed up :(
If you wanna see hosed up, jump into a few of those boards then

:yikes:

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Quandary posted:

Under Bob Stoops I would unfortunately 100% agree, but I'm hopeful that Lincoln Riley handles this situation better.

Bullshit. He absolutely would have been suspended indefinitely, and I expect that is what will happen now.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Speaking of former Oklahoma players, Josh Heupel is UCF's new head coach.

Unfortunately now Mizzou needs a new OC and this might make Drew Lock leave early :smith:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

the mean lunch lady posted:

Speaking of former Oklahoma players, Josh Heupel is UCF's new head coach.

Unfortunately now Mizzou needs a new OC and this might make Drew Lock leave early :smith:

That's a real bummer for the conference as a whole. Mizzou had reached this "fun as hell mediocre team" alchemy that the SEC's middle class was sorely lacking this season.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Bullshit. He absolutely would have been suspended indefinitely, and I expect that is what will happen now.

Joe Mixon, Dede Westbrook, and DGB all were on the team within like the last three years dude

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Stoops was inconsistent, at best. He also booted Rhett Bomar immediately for driving a car from a dealership and drinking a beer at a Thunder game.

Like Oklahoma's performance in big games, I hope things are different, and better, under Riley.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Not with Oklahoma in the playoffs he wouldn't

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Stoops was inconsistent, at best. He also booted Rhett Bomar immediately for driving a car from a dealership and drinking a beer at a Thunder game.

Like Oklahoma's performance in big games, I hope things are different, and better, under Riley.

Rhett Bomar did a thing that could get OU in trouble with the NCAA. The NCAA doesn't care about women being raped, though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kayakyakr posted:

Rhett Bomar did a thing that could get OU in trouble with the NCAA. The NCAA doesn't care about women anyone being raped, though.

Fixed that for you :smith:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

:lol:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Fixed that for you :smith:

the problem with this is the NCAA isn't law enforcement (frankly, nor should they be). It's likely more dependent on the schools themselves or maybe the conference.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DJExile posted:

the problem with this is the NCAA isn't law enforcement (frankly, nor should they be). It's likely more dependent on the schools themselves or maybe the conference.

This

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

D.N. Nation posted:

That's a real bummer for the conference as a whole. Mizzou had reached this "fun as hell mediocre team" alchemy that the SEC's middle class was sorely lacking this season.

At least we've made for a fun "offseason" to entertain us before the bowls.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

Yeah one can look no further than the NFL if you want to see how bad that could turn out if the NCAA themselves started dealing with punishments. They're bad enough at dealing with eligibility issues.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

LeeMajors posted:

:lol:ing so hard at "put these jeans on his legs"

Not in two-thousand-loving-three they weren't.

Pulling this from a couple pages late, but baggy pants were definitely the style in 2003. I mean look at this picture of the 2003 NBA draft. Every single guy is wearing a suit with super baggy pants.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 5, 2017

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I'm the trenchcoat length suit jackets

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Pulling this from a couple pages late, but baggy pants were definitely the style in 2003. I mean look at this picture of the 2003 NBA draft. Every single guy is wearing a suit with super baggy pants.

Dude is wearing loving JNCOs, or JNCO-adjacent jeans. Those were out of style in like 1999 or 2000.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jesus. That that's one oversized jacket away from breaking out an a cappella version of Once In Lifetime.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Dude is wearing loving JNCOs, or JNCO-adjacent jeans. Those were out of style in like 1999 or 2000.

There's a guy where i work that wears JNCOS to work (you're allowed to wear jeans), and he wears those. He works in the AV department lol.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

"Sir, would you like a tailored suit that best shows off your incredible physique and unique athleticism?"

"Nah, just gimme the same thing they buried Andre the Giant in."

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Quandary posted:

The last sexual assault related thing I remember was whoever got immediately cut from the team for masturbating in public

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Zoran posted:

The last sexual assault related thing I remember was whoever got immediately cut from the team for masturbating in public

Louis CK played for Oklahoma?

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Zoran posted:

Trey Metoyer.

KIM JONG TRILL fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 5, 2017

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Thoguh posted:

Temple, actually.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Thoguh posted:

That was in private with forced witnesses!

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Tony Elliot won the Broyles Award. Venables won it last year making Clemson the first team to have back to back winners

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
But, but, but he just beat the poo poo out of a woman, he didn't rape her!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lamentable dustman posted:

Tony Elliot won the Broyles Award. Venables won it last year making Clemson the first team to have back to back winners

and is apparently the biggest twilight fan out there

• Locked thread