Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is almost as funny as that episode of cops where the lady called the police because the drug dealer ripped her off.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JkwZUk3Kng

omfg I hate COPS and the culture of police worship it engenders so much and this clip is still excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

omfg I hate COPS and the culture of police worship it engenders so much and this clip is still excellent
Good lord that ending. It's a rollercoaster from start to finish.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Triple the auditors at the IRS to go after rich fucks that evade taxes, and use the windfall to fund more SSA and SNAP fraud protections.

The left gets to see more effective taxation on the top earners and the right gets to see more crackdown on the dirty poors.

ez pz

e: and based on that COPS video that's right out of Reno 911 decriminalize drugs and legalize prostitution

metallicaeg fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 5, 2017

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Let’s just say you should figure out what seasonings you would go best with.

I think the drug test requirement problem (aside from who cares how miserable impoverished people make their lives bearable) was that drug testing that many people that frequently is really expensive. There’s a reason most companies don’t do randoms on a regular basis.

I mean, there's also the fact that the less support you give to addicts, the more they end up in prison or hospital, which costs vastly more to the government than it ever would to just house people, feed them, give them clean drugs and provide them with a social worker to help manage the addiction.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, there's also the fact that the less support you give to addicts, the more they end up in prison or hospital, which costs vastly more to the government than it ever would to just house people, feed them, give them clean drugs and provide them with a social worker to help manage the addiction.
There are many people in the world who view this solution as morally inferior to letting them suffer because they think <homeless/addicts/blacks/jews/poor/etc.> deserve to suffer, either for being different or for their failings. If it were a rational economic argument it probably wouldn't have lasted this long.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 5, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I pointed out to someone that the drug testing cost more than just giving it to people who tested positive, and they said it was a matter of principle. I don’t remember if I told her that if your principles mean not helping people because you’re using those resources to spite other people your principles are really hosed up.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"But you need to provide disincentive to being Addicted to Drugs"

-someone who does not understand drug addiction

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Anyone who thinks children should go hungry because their idiot parents smoked some weed should be barred from voting.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Nocheez posted:

Anyone who thinks children should go hungry because their idiot parents smoked some weed should be barred from voting.

DON'T DO THE CRIME IF YOU CAN'T DO THE TIME

*pops an ambien, ativan, and a xanax with half a bottle of wine nightly to fall asleep*

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If the Puritan morals so bad, why America so great?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Melting Pot. :420:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's obviously not, given our need to Make it Great Again via loving over poors/minorities

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hoodwinker posted:

The Melting Pot. :420:

I like The Melting Pot's house dressing. I know it's just vinegar and oil, but I like it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Papa John Misty posted:

It's obviously not, given our need to Make it Great Again via loving over poors/minorities

Ha, you thought Making America Great Again meant going back to 1950 or even the United States of America.

Both the Puritans and Trump loved to sue people, so it checks out. Also, everything is real White with the occasional Irish.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I like this thread and want to save it. I feel culpable for the hungry baby derail which is boring and also stupid.

Here is some bad advice for how to make money off your house (one suggestion involves renting it out for movie shoots, but don't worry they also cover selling produce from your back yard)
https://www.houselogic.com/finances-taxes/home-money-making-tips/

Stupid bitcoin things:
Sent bitcoin to wrong address (probably just got scammed)
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1358835.0

How can I bring my bitcoins back to me
https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/41997/how-can-i-bring-my-bitcoins-back-to-me

Dude sends $$ to a boilerplate ponzi scheme
https://99bitcoins.com/question/getting-money-back-from-a-scam/

Oops the escrow site called "The Safe Escrow" was a scam I didn't see that one coming nope no way
https://forum.bitcoin.com/technical-support/is-it-possible-getting-back-sent-bitcoins-t10808.html

quote:

update...

http://safextwjbxxjcenz.onion/

"The Safe Escrow"

is a scam site.

Took them three days to respond then wanted to continue escrow "via email", because their website was "messed up".

That being said, I will further show how dumb I am...

Do not trust "Africa Products" http://africagdzf2ae5aw.onion/

This is a scam that I didn't want to believe....but it is. I'm 90% confident that the same people own both sites.
Yes, I'm sure I will get flamed but I don't want anyone else to lose money to these clowns.

Hopefully I can save another person from a stupid mistake.

Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 6, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
ah, .onion, the sign of legitimate websites everywhere

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This one is incredible

I guess it makes sense, a scam reporting site is a good place to advertise scams because the people coming there are obviously dumb enough to fall for them.

E:

BWM: uploading your private keys or key recovery seeds to some website
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bitcoin-gold-wallet-scam-nets-fraudsters-3-2-million-after-stealing-users-private-keys/

quote:

According to various reports, the website containing the fake wallet essentially encouraged users to upload their private keys or recovery seeds to claim their bitcoin gold, as an archived screenshot of the webpage shows.

The result was a $3.2 million theft, as the scammer behind the website managed to obtain at least $107,000 worth of bitcoin gold, $72,000 of litecoin, $30,000 of ethereum, and $3 million of bitcoin.
Users trusted the website with their private keys – despite security experts advising against it – partly due to bitcoin gold’s support for the wallet, and to the website’s code being open source. Through their twitter account, bitcoin gold’s team assured users the wallet was safe on multiple occasions, and even listed it on its website as a resource.

The website’s code on Github was then changed after the scam was initiated. An analysis by Reddit user Uejji found that the website essentially encoded users’ security seed in Base64 and stored it on the website cookie, which was later transmitted to Google. There, the scammer was free to decode it and use it steal the person’s funds.

The MyBTGWallet website was reportedly developed by a user named John Dass. A transaction links his wallet to that of the scammer’s, meaning he either is the scammer, or was a victim as well. It is, however, unclear whether this is the individual’s actual name or merely a pseudonym.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 6, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the average human being.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7hyb43/buy_a_car_now_or_wait_several_months_and_buy_a/

It's really kind of fascinating to watch these people go through the decision making process.

quote:

Backstory - I got in an accident last week and my vehicle is totaled. I am driving a rental car (covered by insurance) and I have a ~10 mile commute to work. I need a new car ASAP but am in a predicament.
Starting in January, I will be working remotely and won't need to drive anywhere for work. I am looking at a $30K used car that I am worried will end up sitting in the parking garage for 80% of the time (losing value) other than the few random times I need it (I live with my gf and she has a car). I am leaning towards buying a $4k motorcycle to use in the city (and to work occasionally) so I'm not stranded at home. If it's raining or cold out, I can use a car2go or Uber to get around, which is more affordable than a $600 car payment (loan + insurance). Here's my question:
Will I really save money if I postpone buying a car for ~4 months, buy a motorcycle for $4k that I can probably sell for $4k, and use Uber/carpool/car2go to get around? Or, will the expenses I incur each month (that aren't going towards owning a car) going to cost me more in the long-run as I will HAVE to buy a car at some point. Am I just postponing the inevitable or am I actually saving any money here?
Side note: I am looking at a 2017 audi a3 premium plus for $31K (technically 'used' so $8k less than new) so it won't technically lose value as fast as a new car. If it DOES sit in the parking garage and I barely use it, will that preserve the value at all, therefore justifying me to just go ahead and buy the car?
Any help would be great as I really need to make a decision by the end of this week!!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the average human being.

A full HALF of the population is dumber than average.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Buy a loving 2004 Ford focus you idiot Jesus Christ

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Audax posted:

Buy a loving 2004 Ford focus you idiot Jesus Christ

No kidding, although that's what most of Reddit is telling this guy. This is the perfect situation to go buy a beater car for like $5k, and keep minimum insurance on it.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

A full HALF of the population is dumber than average.

A full half of the population is as dumb as or dumber than the median. Don't go mixing up your median and your mean, dawg.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

SpelledBackwards posted:

A full half of the population is as dumb as or dumber than the median. Don't go mixing up your median and your mean, dawg.

Tbf with a population size of millions and the parametric distribution of intelligence, those two values will be very close.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

cowofwar posted:

Tbf with a population size of millions and the parametric distribution of intelligence, those two values will be very close.

Not to mention that average is a colloquial term that can refer to mean or median depending on context.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

cowofwar posted:

Yes true, but there are many low-end outliers due to genetic, developmental, traumatic, and/or substance related reasons such that greater than half the population is"dumber" than the mean intelligence, however you wish to operationalize it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If this person has insurance paying for a rental, what is the total payout? Let's go right past that into crappy luxury car with a payment!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Not to mention that average is a colloquial term that can refer to mean or median depending on context.
Exactly. If you're talking about, say, "how much does the average household make each year", median makes much more sense than the mean.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Whichever average you take is still pretty loving dumb is the point at which I was driving.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Why is anyone still discussing this when we already got a central limit theorem truth bomb?

cowofwar posted:

Content, about wasting parents' money

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7hrxnt/ive_received_a_bogus_invoice_from_my_uncles/
I've received a bogus invoice from my Uncle's business because I refused to take his son on a road trip at the last minute to meet a cruise ship.
(self.legaladvice)
submitted 22 hours ago by chargrilledpotato

quote:

The backstory part
My aunt and uncle have always been pushy people and their son (my cousin, but family stresses don't have me relating to him in any way) is a 19 year old painful entitled arse I never had much to do with personally.
I'd been planning a road trip from Sydney to Townsville for a while, and I posted details on facebook of when I was leaving in September this year. Aunt and Uncle caught wind of this and asked if I'd take their son with me, and drop him off in Brisbane in time to catch a cruise. I said no at first, but after a few pushy phonecalls from them I said I'd do it but I laid out conditions that he had to keep the attitude down. They know as well as anyone what he's like, and they promised he'd behave, so I agreed to take him. My mistake agreeing to that.
On the morning I had to leave I packed and went to pick up their son from their house. He was still asleep and hadn't even begun to pack. After 2 hours of waiting and putting my schedule behind, we got going on the road. We didn't get 20km before he'd insulted me about my weight, spat chewing gum out the window, and jammed his feet with shoes up on the dash. The whole reason for my road trip was to stretch the legs of my car, and it's a cheap but fun sort-of-classic I'm attached to. He'd already scored the dashtop with his feet when I pulled over, laid into him about feet on the dash, and I snapped when he came back with "babe, if you want this to be painless for the both of us you need to get the stick out of your arse".
So I turned around, and suffered 20 minutes of abuse before getting him back home, all the time with him threatening me with how pissed his dad was going to be.
After some trouble getting him out of the car when he was back home, I left him and his baggage in their driveway and went off on my trip.
The legal part
I've now been back a fortnight, and yesterday morning I received an invoice from my uncle's business for a total of $9200 for 'Travel', and a final notice warning that it would be sent to collections if it wasn't immediately paid. I phoned my uncle and he broke it down that they'd tried to get their son on a flight to Brisbane but he never got on it and bummed about with friends locally without them knowing, and wasted opportunities they'd organised for him on the cruise.
I'm beyond annoyed and told him to jam it, posted a scan of the invoice on Facebook with the background story, and I've received nasty emails from both my aunt and uncle (I refuse to take their calls) threatening me to take it down, and also to pay it or he will send it to collections.
Obviously it's not a legally valid invoice, even though as far as I can tell it's a regular normal looking invoice his business would send out, but what can I do here that'll quickly get him off my back? It wouldn't surprise me if he did try to send it to collections if I don't do anything.
For all the stupidity of that act, which I'm sure can get him in deep trouble if I pushed back legally, he's knowledgeable of the law and I think he's expecting to take advantage of my lack of legal knowledge to make me pay. Is there a law I can quickly quote back at him in reference to the invalid invoice and fraud, without me going straight to a lawyer of my own, or would should I get a lawyer to fire back so he backs down? The cost of that would hit me hard at the moment but if I have to I have to.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
http://hiqnews.megafoundation.org/John_Scoville_Paper.htm

poo poo ain't iid yallls

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Why is anyone still discussing this when we already got a central limit theorem truth bomb?

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7hrxnt/ive_received_a_bogus_invoice_from_my_uncles/
I've received a bogus invoice from my Uncle's business because I refused to take his son on a road trip at the last minute to meet a cruise ship.
(self.legaladvice)

I don’t know anything about Australian law, but wouldn’t it be problematic that his uncle was apparently involving his business’s accounts in buying his son a flight and a cruise to gently caress around on? Going by the invoice, I mean.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
On BWM, my friend's wife's brother recently started a Gofundme to buy a new Apple laptop after he destroyed his old one under mysterious circumstances.

He openly admits that he's content to accept Centrelink payments "until his hip-hop career takes off" (hence the laptop), and is one of those one-dimensional stoners who constantly talks about marijuana's ability to cure cancer/being a general panacea, how much he enjoys marijuana, marijuana is the mother planet, the many types of ways he attempts to smoke marijuana and the evils of the state for banning marijuana (in alliance with the Illuminati and the Jews). He eats hemp and wears hemp.

The BWM part is that some people actually donated.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

canyoneer posted:

(self.legaladvice)

That OP's uncle needs to thank her for teaching the boy a lesson.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Sic Semper Goon posted:

On BWM, my friend's wife's brother recently started a Gofundme to buy a new Apple laptop after he destroyed his old one under mysterious circumstances.

He openly admits that he's content to accept Centrelink payments "until his hip-hop career takes off" (hence the laptop), and is one of those one-dimensional stoners who constantly talks about marijuana's ability to cure cancer/being a general panacea, how much he enjoys marijuana, marijuana is the mother planet, the many types of ways he attempts to smoke marijuana and the evils of the state for banning marijuana (in alliance with the Illuminati and the Jews). He eats hemp and wears hemp.

The BWM part is that some people actually donated.

Have never had a problem with marijuana and I fully support its legalization, but there definitely a BWM/L factor in blowing tons of money on something that makes you waste huge amounts of time and do nothing productive ever.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Mineaiki posted:

Have never had a problem with marijuana and I fully support its legalization, but there definitely a BWM/L factor in blowing tons of money on something that makes you waste huge amounts of time and do nothing productive ever.

Marijuana doesn't work the same way for everyone, and there are different strains that impact you in different ways. It's generally a mood enhancer, so if you're a lazy piece of poo poo you can use marijuana to sit around and do nothing. If you like to go out, exercise, clean, and generally get poo poo done, marijuana can make those activities more enjoyable.

Of course, it should be used responsibly and you shouldn't blow up your finances to enjoy it.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

canyoneer posted:

(self.legaladvice)

The City of Townsville

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I swear a bunch of the BWM and r/relationships stories would fit right in on one of the trashier Judge Judy type shows.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Just gonna crosspost this here, read the responses for prime BWM content:

https://twitter.com/RonPaul/status/938145695294480385

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Tell you what, I'm gonna put $1 in the bank and give it to you plus interest a year from now, or you can have all my winnings from my next Vegas trip.