Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

I dont know posted:

For those of us who don't play multi, what are the tiers currently? I assumed that the generalist factions like empire, orc, and bretonnia were the tops.

Lizardmen/Dark Elves/Beastmen are top tier right now with dwarves and high elves being strong contenders in my experience. Empire and Bretonnia both struggles really hard right now outside of net gimmicking for the empire (and they don't even do that very well)

e; multiplayer is honestly pretty decently balanced right now though so you can do well playing whatever.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

I dont know posted:

For those of us who don't play multi, what are the tiers currently? I assumed that the generalist factions like empire, orc, and bretonnia were the tops.

That was true in WH1, but a lot of changes really dumpstered Bretonnia in particular to bottom tier.

General consensus among the better players I've talked to.

Dark Elves
Lizardmen
Beastmen
Skaven

Mid

High Elves
Dwarves
Wood Elves
Orcs
Empire
Chaos

Low

Vampire Counts
Bretonnia

That's sort of a general ordering. There's a lot of dispute around the edges, and some factions have just incredibly bad matchups against 'lower tier' factions so this isn't a straight power list or anything. Also some are really dependant on insane micro to do well (Empire, Skaven, Beastmen in particular)

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 5, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Is there a mod that makes dwarves distrust each other? I feel like if the dwarves were at war with each other a lot instead of confederating, the tide of blue would be a lot more balanced.

Absolutely, though it also hits them with an upkeep penalty: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1188295824&searchtext=badlands+balance

The penalties are tied to settlement capitals, so the bigger they get, the worse the penalties become. It's basically Great Power and Lord Upkeep penalties in hyperdrive. If you're a glutton for punishment, try playing as Dwarfs with it on. Also, it interacts in a funny way with Mazz's T4 Settlements: the final level of minor settlement buildings doesn't get the penalty, so if you expand veeeeery slowly and take your time getting your minor settlement buildings to T4, you can mitigate the anger of your Dwarfen brethren. Or you could just go buckwild and gently caress them up anyway; it's not like the AI is smart enough to use plenty of artillery and prioritize targets like the player can.

sassassin posted:

It's okay once or twice but every time you move forward to fight back they've got fresh stacks led by the same lord.

And the other ai factions can't handle them at all, except Tyrion who takes no autoresolve damage from anything. If he turns their way Skaeling get smashed but he's usually too busty killing other high elves.

I always figured that Norscan AI stacked chariots because they had the "best" stat spread of all their units, which made them too powerful in autoresolve against the AI. I remember a midgame Empire army composition of mine being able to smash two Norscan stacks in autoresolve with recoverable losses, even with dumb comps like 50% chariots or whatever. Surely limiting them to garbage Marauders and Warhounds would be enough to gimp their ability to wreck Kislev and company?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

I dont know posted:

brettonia is now competing for straight worst faction

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

what changed- bad matchups, mechanics changes, nerfs?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

StashAugustine posted:

Combination of a lot of things. Healing got nerfed, the Fay Enchantress got nerfed into oblivion, most other faction's infantry got buffed while theirs didn't, none of their lores of magic got significantly buffed from the magic overhaul, and in general most other factions got way better tools for taking out things like the Bretonnian goon squads so its harder to lord snipe. Also direct damage spells being good and aimable means their chaff gets roasted and their archers are basically a liability. And the advent of Dragons means they no longer have the strongest air force. And Tempest/Warpgale means their air game gets shut down hard.

Also all the new world factions take a huge dump on Cav in one way or another.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 5, 2017

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, Warhammer 2 has been a confirmed failure on their part and it's been showing.

It's absolutely baffling how terrible the AI is compared to the first, how the mortal empires campaign was and still is a barely functioning mess, the game was a literal balance and patching backstep compared to the first and now DLC that you bought as a pre-order has been delayed to May, but of course if you want you can pay twenty euros for a DLC faction in January. So generous!

I still haven't finished doing all the campaigns in the first Warhams and that's great, because it will probably take a while until CA fixes this mess. I definitely won't buy any more DLC for 2 until I can confirm this game is in proper order.

Hell, the Vortex campaing itself, barring the terrible battle AI, is actually very fun. I love the Skaven and the loving dinossaurs. But lmao warhams 2 went right back into CA.txt

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Zore posted:

That's what I was going to go with, there are so many elite halberds or basic spearmen spam in every new faction or large units with anti large bonuses attached for dealing with all the monsters all over the place that it really hurts a cavalry focused army.

The worst spearman you had to deal with before were empire halberds with regular soldier stats at 600g cost or chosen halberds at 1000g, now you got ultra elite halberds at 1200+ cost in the new races and even skaven get 850g elite halberds.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I haven't really noticed the battle AI being any different than how it was in the first game.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Zore posted:

Combination of a lot of things. Healing got nerfed, the Fay Enchantress got nerfed into oblivion, most other faction's infantry got buffed while theirs didn't, none of their lores of magic got significantly buffed from the magic overhaul, and in general most other factions got way better tools for taking out things like the Bretonnian goon squads so its harder to lord snipe. Also direct damage spells being good and aimable means their chaff gets roasted and their archers are basically a liability. And the advent of Dragons means they no longer have the strongest air force. And Tempest/Warpgale means their air game gets shut down hard.

I haven’t spent much time on Warhammer 2s multi, but what changed with healing for Bret?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Mans posted:

Yeah, Warhammer 2 has been a confirmed failure on their part and it's been showing.

It's absolutely baffling how terrible the AI is compared to the first, how the mortal empires campaign was and still is a barely functioning mess, the game was a literal balance and patching backstep compared to the first and now DLC that you bought as a pre-order has been delayed to May, but of course if you want you can pay twenty euros for a DLC faction in January. So generous!

I still haven't finished doing all the campaigns in the first Warhams and that's great, because it will probably take a while until CA fixes this mess. I definitely won't buy any more DLC for 2 until I can confirm this game is in proper order.

Hell, the Vortex campaing itself, barring the terrible battle AI, is actually very fun. I love the Skaven and the loving dinossaurs. But lmao warhams 2 went right back into CA.txt

lol

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Honestly by now the op should have in the top in big bold letters if you are playing a very hard campaign set the battle AI to easy due to a bug

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

How dare they make me spend $47 on this piece of poo poo bad game. I'm mad about free DLC I got to play in the first game for preordering the second game. I want to play my DLC for my bad trash game I hate RIGHT NOW. I will never buy the next DLC until I eventually do on day 1.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

I haven’t spent much time on Warhammer 2s multi, but what changed with healing for Bret?

Lore of Life healing was nerfed across the board.

It hurt Bretonnia the worst since they don't have any other good lores of magic while everyone else does, or has a caster with combined lores.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Kainser posted:

I haven't really noticed the battle AI being any different than how it was in the first game.

I haven't noticed 90% of the problems people are getting real mad at video games over.

I must be a terrible person.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Honestly by now the op should have in the top in big bold letters if you are playing a very hard campaign set the battle AI to easy due to a bug

Is there a way to fix Legendary? Also, this means that Easy battle difficulty is VH, right?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The bug to give the AI leadership penalties instead of bonuses is pretty silly though

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

sicarius posted:

Is there a way to fix Legendary? Also, this means that Easy battle difficulty is VH, right?

Its only those two difficulties that are affected. Hard and Normal work as intended.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It would be nice if vampires got a unit that can deal with large threats better then skeleton spearmen, the terrorgheist isn't very cost efficient for dealing with large threats and usually loses in a fight against one.

I feel like Lizardmen do the "blob of unbreakable melee followed by incredibly strong monsters all backed up by craptons of healing and offensive magic" better then vampires do now.

What are the odds of graveguard halberds being added to the lineup?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 5, 2017

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Xae posted:

I haven't noticed 90% of the problems people are getting real mad at video games over.

loving same

I mean I only have like 50 hours played, all in Normal SP, so it's probably because I'm a filthy scrub casual v:v:v

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Xae posted:

ChickenWing posted:

loving same

I mean I only have like 50 hours played, all in Normal SP, so it's probably because I'm a filthy scrub casual v:v:v

I think it's because, honestly, most of the issues are contained to "loving Norsca are awful again" (which is true), and the Diplomacy problems at Legendary.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It would be nice if vampires got a unit that can deal with large threats better then skeleton spearmen, the terrorgheist isn't very cost efficient for dealing with large threats and usually loses in a fight against one.

What are the odds of graveguard halberds being added to the lineup?

Crypt Horrors and Varghulfs should fill that role, but they really need some buffs to be effective. Blood Knights are also good but they're also hella expensive.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

We've come full circle. Crypt Horrors in need of buffs.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

sicarius posted:

Legendary, normal and hard are all fine, and yes it means easy campaigns have VH battle difficulty lol

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

We've come full circle. Crypt Horrors in need of buffs.

Basically all the monstrous infantry do right now. Minotaurs, Kroxigors, Trolls, Rat Ogres etc.

The changes to give them more models seems to have made all of them weaker across the board. The only one people even consistently use now is Rogres because they're just about the only unit the Skaven have with any mass whatsoever so they can stop dudes on dragons or chariots just merrily pushing through all your dudes.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Gitro posted:

Idk how, but I managed to replicate the not moving after projectile = no ability cd bug on a new skill. Oh well. It also doesn't seem possible to create recursive projectiles and I'm very sad.

There's a mod that removes diplo rating penalties entirely. I can probably do a variant that just lowers the penalty if that's too much. Be warned: the person that uploaded that is apparently a dirty thief who ported it from someone else's WH1 mod, but the original modder doesn't seem to have uploaded theirs so :shrug:

If you could make such a mod I’d really appreciate it! I’ve seen a lot of people asking for something similar, so I think it’d be popular. I really don’t need much of a change here, Something like lessening the penalty based on the type of deal that was broken and maybe a reduction in the number of turns your rating is ranked for. Thank you!!

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

sicarius posted:

I think it's because, honestly, most of the issues are contained to "loving Norsca are awful again" (which is true), and the Diplomacy problems at Legendary.

I kind of like Norsca being trash tier as Dark Elves. 420 poo poo on two stacks with a T1 stack and get thousands of slaves e'ery day.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Xae posted:

I kind of like Norsca being trash tier as Dark Elves. 420 poo poo on two stacks with a T1 stack and get thousands of slaves e'ery day.

The problem isn't that they're too easy to beat in battle, it's that the campaign AI will churn out endless armies of high-veterancy chariots and take over half the map if it gets a chance. In both the Vortex and Mortal Empires campaigns this tends to manifest as Norscans being the number 1 strength power in the game, because unlike game 1 they can keep taking more territory and using their extremely good economy and experience buildings to snowball. The Varg taking over the entire Empire is like... semi-regular now.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mans posted:

The TWC... it’s posting from inside the thread!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
even with the technical problems of norsca, I am still not upset at CA for taking on an ambitious project and giving us one of the best warhammer games to date

but that is mainly because of the warhammer video game curse

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also, the mod that makes the ai not build marauder cav or chariots makes norse bearable

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dandywalken posted:

Lmao Sassassin was right again! Cygors are in fact whack as gently caress! This threads gone topsy turvy!

My posts are usually proven accurate over time.

Future SA scholars will consider me a prophet.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
So did all of you guys having complete mental breakdowns right now just not read the preorder bonus before you got it? All the marketing clearly said you were getting DLC for the first game and CA never hid the fact that the Norsca would be coming late to ME. Like, yeah, I'm not exactly thrilled about having to wait until loving May either, but acting like you never received your pre-order bonus or that CA did some sort of bait and switch are either illiterate or willfully ignorant.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Possibly the greatest mod since the deformed kislev bears:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

New Butt Order posted:

So did all of you guys having complete mental breakdowns right now just not read the preorder bonus before you got it? All the marketing clearly said you were getting DLC for the first game and CA never hid the fact that the Norsca would be coming late to ME. Like, yeah, I'm not exactly thrilled about having to wait until loving May either, but acting like you never received your pre-order bonus or that CA did some sort of bait and switch are either illiterate or willfully ignorant.

Nice meltdown

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

New Butt Order posted:

Lol yeah it's pretty normal for "coming late" to be 8 months later. Get out of here with that poo poo. It's clear the CA hosed up very very badly, trying to do far more at once than their studio could handle. It's perfectly reasonable to be "mad bout games" in this scenario.

They are releasing Norsca this late due to extreme mismanagement that should probably cause someone to lose their job, likely whoever the gently caress approved their "merge it later" strategy.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Turns out that Darren weirdo was the only thing holding that shitshow together.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I think Darren is still sperging out about the lack of reload animations or whatever it was he was raging over.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Dandywalken posted:

Turns out that Darren weirdo was the only thing holding that shitshow together.

Yeah if only they'd followed his sage advice to implement squalor mechanics in Warhammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Xae posted:

It's because you're too busy paying more taxes for more DOOMWHEELS, and we all know that more DOOMWHEELS equals more fun. More fun means you don't give a poo poo about these dumb problems because you're too busy playing a good game rather than being a terrible person.