Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Rainuwastaken posted:

How do I deal with Croak? Almost every time I go up against one, I get stunned by an invisible frog, lose a massive chunk of health before I can move, and then he's gone as quickly as he came until it all repeats again. I mostly play Timegoat and feel like I'm just dead weight anytime I see a frogman.

Timegoat has an abysmal matchup againt frogman, so it's understandable. Two tips, save your Q/Shield for his second leap onto you, so you actually get distance between you instead of setting up for his second jump. Second, save your petrify (R) for after he stealths, as stealth can cleanse the debuff before he gets stoned. Other than that, it comes down to being able to read where croaks are invis and pelting them with M1s/other damage so you can try and outtrade without being stunned. The last part just comes with time and knowledge of travel vectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I haven't played in a long while -- came back recently with the F2P launch and boy this game is still fun as heck.

Playing my boy Rook again. I love the "just pick five" Battlerite system compared to the old round-based system.

This is my Rook setup: http://loadouts.gg/1.1.1/Rook/2,5,7,11,12

Rook's limited engagement options, and the propensity for good players to avoid hitting his counter, lead me to invest in his zoning potential with the Boulder Toss. Boulder Toss forces your opponents to burn outs with a fairly short cooldown, and punishes them heavily if they just eat it due to the fading snare, Armor Break, and knockback. Stun on M2 seems mandatory to give Rook extra control options. Those three rites also improve the potency of Rook's incap combo, as does the Rush berserk rite. The fifth pick for me has been the Rush cooldown reducer, primarily because it enables you to use Rush as an escape when necessary, and just makes it more available in general. I play him less as a bruiser, and more as a high endurance harasser and combo character. Feed energy into EXM1 and R. Really enjoyable, and great for solo queue because he's very self-reliant and quite capable of making comebacks.

I haven't gotten back into ranked to see what higher level play is like with this setup, so take all this with a grain of salt. Just enjoying it quite a bit and wanted to share.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

When I open Battlerite from the Steam taskbar icon, it goes straight into the game. When I open it from the Steam Library, it prompts me for whether I want to use DirectX 11 or 9. Kinda annoying.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the matchmaking seems pretty good in general, but I just got out of steamrolling through this:

:thunk:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

are 3s slow for anyone else tonite?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ruzihm posted:

are 3s slow for anyone else tonite?

I didn't have trouble finding 3s earlier but I play in low Gold so that might have something to do with it.

As I play more, I'm finding myself preferentially queuing for only 3s or only 2s with certain champions. Destiny for example is much better in 3s, IMO, with two players to draw interference for you as you lay down the long-range artillery. Lucie I can't play in 3s at all and am much more comfortable in 2s with her.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

So I hit GC for the season, and my in game dm's are open for anyone that wants to run through placements for end of season rewards -- whenever that is, whatever that is. Almost guaranteed to get you a division above your solo rank!

IGN is FIreBlaze. Just lemme know you're a goon beforehand.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm enjoying the little burny man and I'm also enjoying their apparently loose naming restrictions.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

So I hit GC for the season, and my in game dm's are open for anyone that wants to run through placements for end of season rewards -- whenever that is, whatever that is. Almost guaranteed to get you a division above your solo rank!

IGN is FIreBlaze. Just lemme know you're a goon beforehand.

Ha, I was just watching Dewizzle stream you guys practising for the multiclass tournament. Good luck!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Yardbomb posted:

I'm enjoying the little burny man and I'm also enjoying their apparently loose naming restrictions.

I've seen more than a few n-words and other slurs in people's names, I have no idea how they didn't think people would do that. You can even report someone specifically for having an offensive name!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I've seen more than a few n-words and other slurs in people's names, I have no idea how they didn't think people would do that. You can even report someone specifically for having an offensive name!

Oh yeah change those people, they suck, but I'm just so glad a game finally let me run with GaylordActual when I've been shot down so many times. :v:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Yardbomb posted:

I played against a guy named dentisteatsass the other day and I hope he came by the name honestly

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Did you know you can name your team? Because you can name your team.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
absolutely, the Small Play Police have been gatekeeping diamond all season

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
AI - Pacifist is my team name of choice.

Unrelated, Battlerite is getting serious recognition since launch, getting good reviews left and right and recently, PC Gamer gave it a compelling 89/100 and called it "Free 2 Play done right". So yeah, it does seem that the "success" of Bloodline Champions is something Battlerite will avoid.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kikas posted:

So yeah, it does seem that the "success" of Bloodline Champions is something Battlerite will avoid.

I'm kind of worried still. The game has dropped from its 40k concurrent launch playerbase to a stabilized 15k off-hours 20k on-hours concurrent -- and we're still within a month of the release. Granted, that sort of stuff shouldn't hurt matchmaking too bad unless you're at the highest levels, so for most players it won't be noticeable.

I think this game really, really needs the automated tournaments that Bloodline Champions had, and it needs it pronto. Ranked play is great for me, but it isn't quite scratching that itch of "I want to sit down and really power up to SSJ2"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The tournament system is coming in 2018, though they really haven't said anything beyond that. I wonder if they're still trying to figure out how to make it un-smurfable or just how to handle it vs the BLC version that simply didn't care. I honestly think the latter approach is fine as long as the higher tiers of tournament have prizes worth justifying competing in them rather than goofing off in poo poo tier world. It wouldn't curb every diamond team from playing in silver tournaments, but it'd help and I'd rather not get a system that keeps me from queueing with a friend because he's higher solo queue than me (since I never play solo).

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm kind of worried still. The game has dropped from its 40k concurrent launch playerbase to a stabilized 15k off-hours 20k on-hours concurrent -- and we're still within a month of the release.

Eh, that's pretty much every F2P steam game, the initial boom is gonna be big as youtubers and streamers and all their fans and whatever come play the game like two times ever, then it halves the next month since a lot of those people had no actual interest in the game itself, then usually ends up hovering on and around that new population going forward with dips and lifts. That and I have to bring this up every time player numbers come into discussion, if you're going off the people that post steamcharts and steamspy numbers, those sites can't read stuff like friends only, private or unmade profiles, they just use the Steam API and crawl public player profiles to see roughly how many people are playing what and when, which ends up not accounting for quite a few more people as a lot of steam users set themselves private and friends only. I talked to one lead dev kinda guy before about their game population, this is when I already knew about the inability to read those profiles, but they ended up giving me some actual proof of player numbers and it was nearly double what steamcharts was showing, mind you this was a smaller game with about a couple thousand people usually, but that's still a significant number to not be seeing and that number only goes up with higher populations.

Sorry for the random effortpost :v:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 3, 2017

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

This game is a good game and the meat man is fun to play.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

This game is a good game and the meat man is fun to play.

:btroll:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I am beyond dogshit at this game but I can't stop playing it. Check out this 420IQ play I made today steam://run/504370//?arg_name=odeum_replay;params=937537986525011968

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

My bud playing sirius saved me (croak) by diving in front of a fireball then saved our other friend from oldur's timebombs by spamming heals then killing the oldur.

https://giant.gfycat.com/HomelySkeletalHen.webm

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Just coming back for f2p after playing a year ago. What's up with people rage quitting and being general asshats now in casual. I guess that's the trade off for more players vs small community

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Personally haven't seen too many RQers or toxic assholes, only one that spammed kys and stfu, I dont bother with ranked in MOBA's, though.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Keegers posted:

Just coming back for f2p after playing a year ago. What's up with people rage quitting and being general asshats now in casual. I guess that's the trade off for more players vs small community

I get a quitter occasionally but I almost never see someone being an rear end in chat in casual. Seems more chill than any of the mobas I've played.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

To a part probably because it's so much shorter rounds, you don't have to go through the usual half hour death spiral that can happen in Dota or any of the others.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Ristolaz posted:

I get a quitter occasionally but I almost never see someone being an rear end in chat in casual. Seems more chill than any of the mobas I've played.

I just had a match where the pomp spaced into us missed Q. And got trained down by wasting escapes .. proceeded to blame her teammate for no help and afk'd the next 2 rounds while talking in chat about how trash his teammate was. This is just the most recent example I've seen a couple different scenarios like this, maybe it's just my region for ques.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I use all chat exclusively to ask the enemy team if there is a way I can switch the game difficulty up from easy

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The only time I've seen someone being a prick in recent memory was when my team didn't notice we were in league instead of casual (and we were all super offclassing). This dude just went loving off when he won a round, talking about free points etc. I guess it was trash talk but I had no clue who this guy was and it was just constant. We managed to win 3-2 thankfully, I don't think I could have lived with myself otherwise.

There's definitely more quitting in Casual than League though so if that bothers you just play league.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
The worst I've seen so far is the occasional "ggez", but it doesn't really have much impact when the match went 2-3.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

saw some racist poo poo in chat the other day. aside from that the worst I've seen is someone saying "gg you suck" when they are 2-1 and then we won from behind and told them "ya it was a good game" :waycool:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

On today's episode of "These names are killing me"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ruzihm posted:

saw some racist poo poo in chat the other day. aside from that the worst I've seen is someone saying "gg you suck" when they are 2-1 and then we won from behind and told them "ya it was a good game" :waycool:

never talk poo poo until you win. you're basically sealing your fate otherwise.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Countblanc posted:

never talk poo poo until you win. you're basically sealing your fate otherwise.

Extend this to basically "dont say anything in chat unless you're certain allies wont take it personally", and you have the golden rule of mobas.

In the only game where I had a swamp person melt down on my it started when I suggested that we, Ashka and Iva, maybe should just hang out mid and collect orbs instead of running to the enemy team (Croak and Gunlass) who were for whatever reason were just chilling out at their entrance. We lost that one.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Getting alot of quitters and afks. As to be expected in an early f2p game. It's real annoying. The game is still mostly the same from when I last gave it a try except they're even more CC than ever.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Decided to try this game and turns out I'm terribad at it. Then I tried spookyman Ruh Khan or something and everything is cool and good.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Ruh Khan is a good boy with a fun kit, you made the right decision.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's going to take you over 500 games with a single character before you feel that you're good at them

Once you pass 750 you'll realize how wrong you were

Presumably once you pass 1000 the phenomenon repeats

You can either take this as an incredibly demoralizing thing or as a sign that the game rewards mastery and thoughtful play and is thus worth your time to invest in

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Personally im havein a blast as long as the queues are quick and the games relatively even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

tekz posted:

Personally im havein a blast as long as the queues are quick and the games relatively even.

Sorry to hear you're never having fun :negative:

• Locked thread