Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hey speaking of Roku, I haven’t kept up with them. My mom has a Roku 2 and a 1080p TV. Are there significant benefits to getting her a newer Roku?

E: as far as I know, she just uses it for Netflix, Hulu, maybe YouTube, and possibly checking the weather.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Hey speaking of Roku, I haven’t kept up with them. My mom has a Roku 2 and a 1080p TV. Are there significant benefits to getting her a newer Roku?

E: as far as I know, she just uses it for Netflix, Hulu, maybe YouTube, and possibly checking the weather.

Roku has put out different versions of Roku 2 so it depends how new it is.
The only thing the Roku 3 has over the 2 is a faster processor I believe, the remote might be different as well (I wanna say the 3 has the accelerator)

I have 3 Roku 3s in my house and they handle all the apps just fine. I don't think there's a reason to upgrade from the 2 until 4k content is ubiquitous.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Roku has put out different versions of Roku 2 so it depends how new it is.

I have 3 Roku 3s in my house and they handle all the apps just fine. I don't think there's a reason to upgrade from the 2 until 4k content is ubiquitous.

Yea, I'd just ask her if YouTube crashes/reboots the Roku a lot. The older 2 models (despite the newer OS and latest YT version) still crash a decent amount. Whereas, a few years back they never did.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks, I’ll ask. But this Roku is old. I don’t remember exactly, but it’s at least 5 years old.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
My Roku premier I got from DirectTV is pretty great as a plex client and sling/hulu/netflix/prime box. But I also have a 4K tv and plex server.

It's held me off getting a shield just fine.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The Roku 2 XD my parents have been using since 2013 apparently just started acting up, according to them. They're saying it's randomly rebooting and stuff. I guess it's had a good run. Probably just gonna get them a Roku Express or Stick since they have "just" a 1080p TV they watch it on.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

My kids are going to riot. Roku sticks for stocking stuffers I guess.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Looks like the Amazon Prime app for Apple TV was released today.

Also, my PSVue account finally went up to $39.99 for renewal, so I canceled. I'm going to check out DirectTV Now just to save $5/mo because why the gently caress not.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Friendship with Google officially ended. Now Apple is Amazon's best friend

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

Friendship with Google officially ended. Now Apple is Amazon's best friend

:wow:

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
So my wife has about had it with the Fire TV stick. It’s slow, constantly freezes, etc. Trying to decide between a Roku of some sort and a regular Fire TV. I’ve already got two Shield TV’s and a regular Fire TV, so I was leaning more towards one of the Rokus just to try it out. This will pretty much only be used for local media (emby) and streaming services (Amazon, Netflix, Hulu). No need for 4K. What model is recommended?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can say that your only non-buggy and non-freezing streaming box-thing solution is an AppleTV. 4k version or the model before it.

I got a Roku Streaming Stick, but it was choppy, so I got an Ultra instead. Hung every so often, only froze occasionally. When I got an ATV it was a completely different no-fuckup experience, and since it has Amazon now it's pretty much the best option.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

I can say that your only non-buggy and non-freezing streaming box-thing solution is an AppleTV. 4k version or the model before it.

I got a Roku Streaming Stick, but it was choppy, so I got an Ultra instead. Hung every so often, only froze occasionally. When I got an ATV it was a completely different no-fuckup experience, and since it has Amazon now it's pretty much the best option.

Don't forget, if you go the Apple route, their refurbished units are $20 off and practically new. (Currently only selling the last-gen, non-4k model).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jokes posted:

To counter this, I’ve had Roku 3s for years on daily duty and can only remember having to reboot if the box has been on months and months and something cocks up. It’s just been rock solid (with some ugly rear end apps).

I also have an AppleTV that works great and the Channels app is perfect if you have an HDHomerun, but the remote just plain sucks and it’s more than a comparable roku.

I like Roku because they’re still a “neutral” player that doesn’t have anything they own to sell you or push you towards.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I just bought 2 Roku sticks so my children don't revolt from not having YouTube. Good stocking-stuffers I guess.

I also got a DirectvNow survery that I filled out so I think they're looking to improve the service and want input. I said local channels and DVR were things they need to add so hopefully they listen because I think most people want these things.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

jokes posted:

:agreed:

My Fire TV box from 2015 started freezing up a lot so I bought a new one in August (of course just before they announced the 4K model). I went from a box that couldn't get through a 60 minute TV program without locking up to a box that locked up once a week.

Prime video on Apple TV means I'll probably toss the Fire and buy one of these.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Amazon makes bad, cheap hardware. Was a game changer in 2011 when "cheap tablet" wasn't a thing, but in 2017 gently caress ever buying anything from them except maybe one of their foam wrapped kids tablets.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

TheScott2K posted:

except maybe one of their foam wrapped kids tablets.

Those suck too. Bought one for my daughter and it was garbage. Bought a Galaxy tab and put a foam case on it and good to go.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently Amazon on Apple TV is limited to 2.1 audio.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Apparently Amazon on Apple TV is limited to 2.1 audio.

Hahahahahah. loving Amazon.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

BezOwned

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Just to double check I played the intro to S01EP1 of Grand Tour (because it was handy) on my ATV and ShieldTV.

ATV: 2.1
Shield: Multi-Channel (5.1 for me)

God drat it, Amazon.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

wandler20 posted:

Those suck too. Bought one for my daughter and it was garbage. Bought a Galaxy tab and put a foam case on it and good to go.

We bought one a few years ago for my daughter on “Prime Day” and it is 100% poo poo. I would sell it (my daughter never uses it) but I do not think it would be worth the time.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I only have a sound bar and a sub. Fits my needs

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I only have a sound bar and a sub. Fits my needs

Don't get me wrong. I'm stoked that I have it on my ATV, it's just kind of surprising they don't enable multi-channel after so much ramp up to the the release.

It will probably be addressed in an update, but it's like one last, tiny gently caress you from Bezos.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Silly Burrito posted:

In the end, only the Shield will win.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The shield has lovely framerate handling.

Right now, the best streamer is the new generation of Rokus with native framerate access.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

We bought one a few years ago for my daughter on “Prime Day” and it is 100% poo poo. I would sell it (my daughter never uses it) but I do not think it would be worth the time.

I was able to pawn mind off on someone for $50. I felt kinda bad doing it.

bull3964 posted:

Right now, the best streamer is the new generation of Rokus with native framerate access.

I'm close to dumping Fire tvs for Rokus. I just need one more for the bedroom since I hate casting and Vizio smart TV only handles Plex that way. My LG TV should have everything built in.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I'm having a weird issue where sometimes with the adjust-to-content framerate setting on, audio/video will be hilariously out of sync on Plex. Rebooting the Roku usually fixes it. :iiam:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

bull3964 posted:

Are you talking about Plex? It has auto-switching within the app and seems to work fine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Are you talking about Plex? It has auto-switching within the app and seems to work fine.

No, I'm talking about every app for every service. You can output 60p or force it to 24p and have AV sync issues.

I don't give a poo poo about Plex.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I had to turn off frame rate switching on my roku because some ads on sling make it go apeshit :/

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

bull3964 posted:

No, I'm talking about every app for every service. You can output 60p or force it to 24p and have AV sync issues.

I don't give a poo poo about Plex.

Have an example? I don't think I've seen sync issues.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Have an example? I don't think I've seen sync issues.

Netflix and Amazon are both unusable if you force output to 24p. Ditto for most casted apps. Netflix is just a little off, but enough to be annoying as poo poo and not worth putting up with if you have other options. Amazon looks like a bad Godzilla movie.

I've reset the whole shield, reinstalled apps, tried bypassing my AVR. Nothing helps. Ton of others have reported it too.

I'm just going to move my Shield from my C6 to my X900E since Sony's motion processing is good enough to not need 24p input.

At the end of the day, best setup for me has been LGs internal apps for the services that exist on WebOS and Roku Streaming Stick+ for everything else.

Though, I do use Hulu on Roku rather than my TV as the Roku uses non-localized tiny network bugs.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
DirecTV doesn't seem to have the same issue with commercials where some of them ARE INSANELY LOUD like it's 1997. So that's another plus.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Netflix and Amazon are both unusable if you force output to 24p. Ditto for most casted apps. Netflix is just a little off, but enough to be annoying as poo poo and not worth putting up with if you have other options. Amazon looks like a bad Godzilla movie.

I've reset the whole shield, reinstalled apps, tried bypassing my AVR. Nothing helps. Ton of others have reported it too.

I'm just going to move my Shield from my C6 to my X900E since Sony's motion processing is good enough to not need 24p input.

At the end of the day, best setup for me has been LGs internal apps for the services that exist on WebOS and Roku Streaming Stick+ for everything else.

Though, I do use Hulu on Roku rather than my TV as the Roku uses non-localized tiny network bugs.

Ah, that explains it. I'm on a older Sony W800B.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Love those infinite blacks, but LG can't do reverse telecine on anything other than 1080i60 inputs. So I need native 24p input if I want proper frame cadence.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

Love those infinite blacks, but LG can't do reverse telecine on anything other than 1080i60 inputs. So I need native 24p input if I want proper frame cadence.

Rtings sample had no problems

10 24p Playback 

Judder-free 24p 

: Yes

Judder-free 24p via 60p 

Judder-free 24p via 60i 

The B7P can display 24p movies without judder from 24p, 60p, and 60i sources.

For 24p movies playing from 24p sources like DVD or Blu-rays players, the 'Real Cinema' option must be turned on, and the 'TrueMotion' set to 'User' with both the 'De-Judder' and 'De-Blur' sliders set to zero.

For 24p movies playing over 60p/60i sources like cable boxes, simply turn on the 'Real cinema' option to remove judder.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The 2016 models can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

I have no desire to get an Apple TV.

I don't mind having to reboot something every few days. The main problem I'm having with the Fire TV stick is that the Emby app just dies on 1080p videos. If one of the Roku sticks can handle the job I'd rather just grab one of those, I just don't know which one to get.