Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lasher posted:

Not "Badass" in the regular sense, but maybe badass as in "that dude is bad and has an rear end" is New Jack. Who just loving stabbed a dude in a wrestling match.

He was up against a new kid who was being a dick and goofing off. He asked Jack to "make him bleed" thinking, I presume, that Jack would break his nose or something.

Instead New Jack takes a shiv into the ring with him and opens up the kid's belly.

I think New Jack might actually just be a psychopath. His whole thing is seriously hurting himself and other people in the ring.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 17:11 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh, I took a look and it turns out you mixed up the Mass Transit incident with a different incident involving New Jack.

In the infamous one, Mass Transit was an untrained 17-year-old fat kid who claimed to have been trained by Killer Kowalski to get into a wrestling match, and he thought he was hardcore and wanted to bleed. New Jack cut too deeply with a scalpel and severed two arteries in his forehead, causing him to pass out from blood loss, and then the rest of the New Gangstas kept beating him up. New Jack decided to play it up by yelling into the microphone about how much he wanted to kill white people from Boston as medics tried to save the teenager he just nearly murdered.

The one with the shanking was 8 years later against William Jason Lane. They claimed that it was intentional, but New Jack just pulled out a knife and stabbed him 9 times. He got arrested and charged with attempted murder, but I don't think the charges stuck.

This was after he suffered brain damage from taking a long fall onto concrete twice accidentally. I really do think he's just a crazy motherfucker who wants to hurt people and get hurt and indie wrestling provides a legal path for this.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Wait there are arteries in your forehead?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Field Mousepad posted:

Three to be exact.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Field Mousepad posted:

Head is vascular yo

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Glazier posted:

Head is vascular yo

Regulating temperature around thinkmeats is p. important.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Glazier posted:

Head is vascular yo

I figured there was one or two but goddamn.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Field Mousepad posted:

I figured there was one or two but goddamn.

The brain is literally the most important part of the human body. It needs all the oxygen and nutrients it can get, which means it needs a hefty blood supply.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

We're just brains and our bodies are our flesh mech suits.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TontoCorazon posted:

Turns out this isn't true and aside from the obvious spinal column and stuff everyone knows about, you have more neurons in your gut than a cat has total, and most of your dopamine (for example) is made in your drat colon and not your brain.

We are distributed!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Roro posted:

The brain is literally the most important part of the human body. It needs all the oxygen and nutrients it can get, which means it needs a hefty blood supply.

It's nutrient and oxygen needs are also ridiculous.

The brain weighs a tiny 1.5kg

Of all the oxygen you breathe and all the nutrients you eat, 20% is used by the brain.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TontoCorazon posted:

And then our brilliant brains decide, if you don't have a healthy breakfast here's what I'm gonna do with this cardiac tissue!

Look at it! Look at

Daisy, dz, give me yr answer 2

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

Cops are not badass. And only a simpleton would put a ramming device on a motorcycle, lol. When you hit something on a bike, you yourself will be jettisoned - and nudging anything would be just as bad, as the gyroscopic counter would almost certainly end in a bad way. Some moron in charge who's never ridden a bike probably ordered that on there.

Contributing (this is from last year and this year's race was just as good) - imagine running this fast for 50 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DCR03UDggA&t=3s

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Turns out this isn't true and aside from the obvious spinal column and stuff everyone knows about, you have more neurons in your gut than a cat has total, and most of your dopamine (for example) is made in your drat colon and not your brain.

We are distributed!

All you're saying is our mech suits need butt holes.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

Field Mousepad posted:

Sorry about the meme, but this is the first thing I thought of when I read your question :D

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Heliogabalos posted:

Contributing (this is from last year and this year's race was just as good) - imagine running this fast for 50 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DCR03UDggA&t=3s

I'm not saying these guys aren't bad rear end, running sub 6 minute splits on varied terrain for 50 miles is pretty bad rear end but running ultras and beyond is so loving stupid, like crossfit levels of stupid. You're quite literally killing yourself as you run.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Field Mousepad posted:

What would make them so useful to wrestling is that if you cut your scalp or forehead it bleeds quite a lot while not being all that dangerous. You'll end up with your head and face covered in blood which will look like a much more dramatic injury than it actually is.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Automatic Retard posted:

Sorry about the meme, but this is the first thing I thought of when I read your question :D

"when your biology report is on cranial vascularity"

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
The body is a flesh meat puppet Gundam which is being driven by the tiny man inside aka the brain. Which is a piece of meat haunted by a ghost called a soul. We're all just haunted meat suits, can't we just get along :unsmith:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rough Lobster posted:

The body is a flesh meat puppet Gundam which is being driven by the tiny man inside aka the brain. Which is a piece of meat haunted by a ghost called a soul. We're all just haunted meat suits, can't we just get along :unsmith:

Pretty sure we're all contained in semen. :cumpolice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po7FsOATd0g

for my homey smokadustbowl

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Well I learned new things today thanks goons!

My mom is a nurse so you'd figure I'd know a little bit of this stuff, you would be wrong.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Glazier posted:

Head is vascular yo

Is this a 3D model or a plastinazation? Either way it’s badass on its own because it’s amazing how bodies are built and work.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Glazier posted:

Head is vascular yo

Beksinski is old hat friend

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Heliogabalos posted:

Cops are not badass. And only a simpleton would put a ramming device on a motorcycle, lol. When you hit something on a bike, you yourself will be jettisoned - and nudging anything would be just as bad, as the gyroscopic counter would almost certainly end in a bad way. Some moron in charge who's never ridden a bike probably ordered that on there.

Yeah, and imagine how unstable it was when you started firing the twin mini guns!

Woo boy. Bet someone got fired over that blunder.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Heliogabalos posted:

When you hit something on a bike, you yourself will be jettisoned - and nudging anything would be just as bad, as the gyroscopic counter would almost certainly end in a bad way.

It can work out suprisingly well for the bike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th6XR02YllI&t=32s

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Is this a 3D model or a plastinazation? Either way it’s badass on its own because it’s amazing how bodies are built and work.

It's a Body Worlds plastinazation. I actually saw it a few years ago and it's so much denser than you can see in the photo.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Shrapnig posted:

I'm not saying these guys aren't bad rear end, running sub 6 minute splits on varied terrain for 50 miles is pretty bad rear end but running ultras and beyond is so loving stupid, like crossfit levels of stupid. You're quite literally killing yourself as you run.

Is it really that bad? I'd be interested to read an article or two. I had a quick look and read one by the Washington Post but it didn't seem too crazy. Is it worse than drinking alcohol, taking soft drugs, or just spending your life moving between seated positions and lying positions?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or disingenuous or anything, I'd just be interested in quantifying the relative damage.

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Dec 6, 2017

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Is it really that bad? I'd be interested to read an article or two. I had a quick look and read one by the Washington Post but it didn't seem too crazy. Is it worse than drinking alcohol, taking soft drugs, or just spending your life moving between seated positions and lying positions?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or disingenuous or anything, I'd just be interested in quantifying the relative damage.

I'm wondering, too. I mean, your body is going to start cannibalizing itself if you run out of food/fat energy of course, but there are long traditions of hunters who chase deer etc. until the prey collapses from exhaustion.

I had to quit running years ago because my knees just couldn't take it anymore, but I think that was mostly lovely genetics/too much wrestling when I was in high school.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

ladron posted:

I'm wondering, too. I mean, your body is going to start cannibalizing itself if you run out of food/fat energy of course, but there are long traditions of hunters who chase deer etc. until the prey collapses from exhaustion.

I had to quit running years ago because my knees just couldn't take it anymore, but I think that was mostly lovely genetics/too much wrestling when I was in high school.

I filmed a few ultras a couple years ago and talked with a lot of runners. During any typical 50-100+ ultra, these people are consuming easily 10,000 calories plus on their run. It's wild to see them at the various rest stops when their crew fuels them up. They're chugging liters of coca-cola, slamming snickers bars, chips, and whole avocados. The snickers bar is seen as the golden fuel of ultra running. Perfect mix of sugar, salt, and fat.

I remembering jogging alongside Kilian Jornet at mile 85 of 100, at around 13,000 feet elevation. I asked him how he was feeling after 85 miles and multiple 14,000ft peaks. "Pretty good man, how about you?" Like he was out for a morning jog. I couldn't keep pace with him for more than an 1/8th of a mile before being totally shot.

Ultra runners are freaks and are usually freaky zen monk-like about their lifestyle. When they're not racing, they eat super clean, live super healthy, and just travel from ultra to ultra, pushing themselves beyond a limit I've never seen and seeing some amazing sights while they're at it.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

It's not as bad, it's just different bad. I'm sure there are some genetic freaks out there who can do it and get away with it, but for 99% of the population it's a great way to ruin your ankles, knees, and hips. But if it's what really gets a person through their day/week/life, then go for it. Thus far, the fatality rate of humans is running pretty close to 100%, and it doesn't look like that number's going down any time soon. If running like a maniac makes a person happy, then gently caress it - run.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ESDK posted:

It can work out suprisingly well for the bike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th6XR02YllI&t=32s
That's rush hour?

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

Shrapnig posted:

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Literally everything you do or don't do is killing yourself. It's just a question of varying degrees of efficiency.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

ogopogo posted:

I filmed a few ultras a couple years ago and talked with a lot of runners. During any typical 50-100+ ultra, these people are consuming easily 10,000 calories plus on their run. It's wild to see them at the various rest stops when their crew fuels them up. They're chugging liters of coca-cola, slamming snickers bars, chips, and whole avocados. The snickers bar is seen as the golden fuel of ultra running. Perfect mix of sugar, salt, and fat.

There is an Irish ultra runner called Eoin Keith, and he effectively doesn't eat before training or during any of his races. Its insane and I can never wrap my head around it.

I was reading his full race report from when he finished 8th in the 246km Spartathlon and all I could think was, nearly 27 hours running and you have barely eaten a thing, how is that even possible? A quick drink here, a little rice pudding there, he was making up places on people because he would barely stop at the aid stations.

I don't know if all the other guys eat 10,000 calories, but I do know that guy is in a whole other world when it comes to fueling for races.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

bucketybuck posted:

There is an Irish ultra runner called Eoin Keith, and he effectively doesn't eat before training or during any of his races. Its insane and I can never wrap my head around it.

I was reading his full race report from when he finished 8th in the 246km Spartathlon and all I could think was, nearly 27 hours running and you have barely eaten a thing, how is that even possible? A quick drink here, a little rice pudding there, he was making up places on people because he would barely stop at the aid stations.

I don't know if all the other guys eat 10,000 calories, but I do know that guy is in a whole other world when it comes to fueling for races.

This is similar to Cliff Young, a 61 year old potato farmer, who won the inaugural Sydney to Melbourne UltraMarathon, with a ludicrous shuffling action. He won because whislt everybody else would stop to sleep and eat etc. Cliffy didn't know you were allowed to, and as such just kept shuffling on and on and on through the night.

So a 61 year old untrained potato farmer beat professional athletes who had trained for months, and became a national hero.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is similar to Cliff Young, a 61 year old potato farmer, who won the inaugural Sydney to Melbourne UltraMarathon, with a ludicrous shuffling action. He won because whislt everybody else would stop to sleep and eat etc. Cliffy didn't know you were allowed to, and as such just kept shuffling on and on and on through the night.

So a 61 year old untrained potato farmer beat professional athletes who had trained for months, and became a national hero.

He finished the race in 5 days, 15 hours and 4 minutes, about 2 days faster than the previous record. He lived his entire life on his family's 2000 acre sheep farm and he used to round up the sheep on foot, sometimes running for several days in his gumboots.

Here's Cliffy going for a jog in his boots:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also his shuffling gait turned out to be really good for energy expenditure and the "Young Shuffle" is still a thing that some ultra runners do
There's a pretty dodgy movie about him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I think he gave away the prize money as well.