Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

what the hell?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/quentin-tarantino-jj-abrams-team-up-star-trek-movie-1064206

this might be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

If it happens, it will be awesome.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jesus gently caress what happened to Tarantino? I swear I saw him doing something just a few months ago and he looked like 45 years younger than this still.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
its gonna be that TAS episode where space abe calls uhura a negress but it'll be friend of the family instead and all the phasers now make people burst into blood and also the plot will be poo poo and have the script run into a conclusion in the last 30 minutes after a fuckton of useless scenes

dear god does that leave a bad taste in my mouth why tarentino

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

drjuggalo posted:

its gonna be that TAS episode where space abe calls uhura a negress but it'll be friend of the family instead and all the phasers now make people burst into blood and also the plot will be poo poo and have the script run into a conclusion in the last 30 minutes after a fuckton of useless scenes

You must be a fun guy

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
im really fun to be around but also a black guy who doesnt like it when dopey white dudes who are only good at cinematography and who loves being hip to the streets ruining the one franchise i adore from how tempered and aware it is to issues and ideas

ill still never forget when spike lee said tarentino was a loser racist then tarentino cried to his number one jiver friend samuel L jackson to rip on spike

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

drjuggalo posted:

ruining the one franchise i adore from how tempered and aware it is to issues and ideas
Uh, you did watch ST:D, right?

Meck Pomses
Jan 7, 2011

I QUESTIONED BUYING AN AVATAR WHEN I GET A FREE "STUPID NEWBIE" ONE WHEN REGISTERING SO SOMEONE GAVE ME FANART OF BIG BOSS DRESSED AS BAYONETTA DRAWN BY N ARTIST WHO TRIED TO MAKE A COLLABORATIVE BBW FIGHTING GAME FOR MY AVATAR OUT OF SPITE

Tyson Tomko posted:

I'm still glad Tuvix got split up again because Tuvok owns that much.

I think it was a shame that they disassembled Tuvix again. It was a great idea to combine two of the most annoying characters into a new one that was actually likeable. Tuvok just acted like a stiff robot and Neelix... I always hated that clown. Why was he even part of the core crew? He never achieved anything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Meck Pomses posted:

I think it was a shame that they disassembled Tuvix again. It was a great idea to combine two of the most annoying characters into a new one that was actually likeable. Tuvok just acted like a stiff robot and Neelix... I always hated that clown. Why was he even part of the core crew? He never achieved anything.

He was Diktator Janeway's loyal manservant Friday, telling her all about the local uncultured civilizations of the Delta Quadrant while preparing the crew's meals.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Meck Pomses posted:

Not true, Neelix's rotten cheese birthed a macro virus that almost killed everyone on the ship. Janeway got to John McClane for 40 minutes so all is forgiven.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Automatic Slim posted:

Not true, Neelix's rotten cheese birthed a macro virus that almost killed everyone on the ship. Janeway got to John McClane for 40 minutes so all is forgiven.

Woah, woah there.

That was clearly a bluntly unsubtle Ellen Ripley ripoff :goonsay:.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Jesus gently caress what happened to Tarantino? I swear I saw him doing something just a few months ago and he looked like 45 years younger than this still.

Jesus, he looks like Bad Coop and Dougie had a baby.

Meck Pomses
Jan 7, 2011

I QUESTIONED BUYING AN AVATAR WHEN I GET A FREE "STUPID NEWBIE" ONE WHEN REGISTERING SO SOMEONE GAVE ME FANART OF BIG BOSS DRESSED AS BAYONETTA DRAWN BY N ARTIST WHO TRIED TO MAKE A COLLABORATIVE BBW FIGHTING GAME FOR MY AVATAR OUT OF SPITE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He was Diktator Janeway's loyal manservant Friday, telling her all about the local uncultured civilizations of the Delta Quadrant while preparing the crew's meals.

So that explaines his look: part Mohawk, part Popov the clown.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Bring in Tarantino and leap once again entirely away from the style and personalities that makes it Star Trek.

They try to young and sexy star trek up, but I kind of preferred thinking all cadets were like Wesley Crusher, super nerdy brainiacs trying to join the top science military expedition. The JJ movies are all just like, Red Squad movies; youth is ignorant not exciting.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

drjuggalo posted:

im really fun to be around but also a black guy who doesnt like it when dopey white dudes who are only good at cinematography and who loves being hip to the streets ruining the one franchise i adore from how tempered and aware it is to issues and ideas

ill still never forget when spike lee said tarentino was a loser racist then tarentino cried to his number one jiver friend samuel L jackson to rip on spike

I cringe just thinking about him trying to adopt "urban vernacular" in that BET interview.

Tarintino should do Badger's from Breaking Bad's Star Trek Pie Eating Contest episode as a feature film.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

drjuggalo posted:

Nice, didn't expect a movie version of STD so soon

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I still have never watched Black Mirror but it's gonna go Star Trek for an episode? That's how it works right, episodes or seasons are have the same story? Dunno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgTtyfgzGc0

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Black Mirror is an anthology show like Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits. It's kinda depressing but you should check it out if you like sci-fi even when it doesn't have space ships.

Edit: I'm glad it's getting another season! I thought it was dead.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Your Battle Buddy posted:

Black Mirror is an anthology show like Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits. It's kinda depressing but you should check it out if you like sci-fi even when it doesn't have space ships.

Edit: I'm glad it's getting another season! I thought it was dead.

Yeah, every episode is self contained, and I am wondering what the downer twist will be for this one.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Huh. It usually does more of a more topical, speculative fiction day-after-yesterday kind of thing.

Still some sort of cynical twist deconstructing trek-style space opera will be an interesting digression from "what if cellphones but too much?" and I'm here for it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Neelix owns.
Tuvok owns.
Voyager owns.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Two seemingly normal buddies discussing at length what they call a big mac on bajor and then suddenly exploding into badass righteous fury motherfuckers a few minutes later? Isn't that most episodes involving either Bashir, O'Brien or Garak in DS9? Hell even quark had a few reservior dogs moments and heists.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tarintino should remake resevoir dogs into trek. Also only give him the budget of reservoir dogs.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

drjuggalo posted:

space lincoln was from TOS, but i totally get why anyone would remember that as a TAS episode

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Tarintino saw the episode of ST:D where the girl said gently caress, now that he's finally finished cumming in excited he wants to make his own Star Treks that says gently caress.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

Tarintino saw the episode of ST:D where the girl said gently caress, now that he's finally finished cumming in excited he wants to make his own Star Treks that says gently caress.

Nah, he hates ST:D I bet. Like Joss Whedon he loving loves young girls feet and they all wear wellies on the black ship mcgrimdark skellingtonman monstermaybe.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

wit posted:

Nah, he hates ST:D I bet. Like Joss Whedon he loving loves young girls feet and they all wear wellies on the black ship mcgrimdark skellingtonman monstermaybe.

Tarintino talked about this once and he basically said what he'd love to do is take some episodes and stretch them out into a film.

He talks in this about doing it with Yesterday's Enterprise in TNG where they save Enterprise-C but because it was saved it alters the time line so they need to send it back through to die.

https://youtu.be/rzNnfKT6IrM

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Huh. It usually does more of a more topical, speculative fiction day-after-yesterday kind of thing.

Still some sort of cynical twist deconstructing trek-style space opera will be an interesting digression from "what if cellphones but too much?" and I'm here for it.

The crew seems scared of the captain so I'm guessing he's not really a captain at all, he's a huge trekkie who has kidnapped those people or something.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
What is the origin of the current thread title?

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Facebook Aunt posted:

The crew seems scared of the captain so I'm guessing he's not really a captain at all, he's a huge trekkie who has kidnapped those people or something.

Wait are you talking about Orville and Seth IRL?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jahoodie posted:

Wait are you talking about Orville and Seth IRL?

Yes. Also black mirror.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Hipster_Doofus posted:

What is the origin of the current thread title?

Someone perfectly encapsulated Voyager’s level of quality and everything it stands for.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm continually surprised with how solid the writing is in Orville. It has no right to be as good as it is, and even the weak episodes are surprisingly solid for Sci-fi. Nothing on the level of real bad episodes of Voyager or SG1.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MA-Horus posted:

I'm continually surprised with how solid the writing is in Orville. It has no right to be as good as it is, and even the weak episodes are surprisingly solid for Sci-fi. Nothing on the level of real bad episodes of Voyager or SG1.

The sex pheremone one is pretty loving bad. The rest are all pretty solid though.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

MA-Horus posted:

Eh... I've watched a few episodes and might watch a few more. It seems to have a bit of lifelessnessness I can't explain (I mean some of the acting is wooden), but I have higher standards for a show written now then a decade ago.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The Orville is ok at best and a lot of the plots are solved shittily. My favourite is the one where they solve the episodes plot by giving an alien reality show TV episodes or the one where they solve an ongoing armed conflict by turning two alien leaders gay

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Zzulu posted:

The Orville is ok at best and a lot of the plots are solved shittily. My favourite is the one where they solve the episodes plot by giving an alien reality show TV episodes or the one where they solve an ongoing armed conflict by turning two alien leaders gay

Check out these bad opinions over here.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Clark Nova posted:

Someone perfectly encapsulated Voyager’s level of quality and everything it stands for.

Man am I dumb for not figuring that out.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Zzulu posted:

Yeah but they missed having the robot bone someone during the weird love hormone episode, c'mon that's TNG 101 right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Such a handsome Gul.