Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Fryhtaning posted:

If someone wants to exploit the strength of a Civ that requires hills, what's so hard/bad about choosing the right map type? You wouldn't pick a seafaring Civ for a Pangaea map..

Speaking of which, I can probably guess the answer to this but does the Civ6 AI recognize it's on an island and build ships instead of swordsmen? I remember them being way better at naval combat than land combat in 5 because the mechanics are so simple and you get more move points, but they just didn't build enough of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Antares posted:

Speaking of which, I can probably guess the answer to this but does the Civ6 AI recognize it's on an island and build ships instead of swordsmen? I remember them being way better at naval combat than land combat in 5 because the mechanics are so simple and you get more move points, but they just didn't build enough of them.
I've been playing around with Indonesia on Island Plates maps and I can very conclusively say "No." The AI is still dumb as poo poo when it comes to anything seafaring and they keep building warriors and catapaults like they think I will just let them actually land on my shores.

Also Jongs are crazy loving strong and Indonesia's faith buy is kind of bullshit

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Poil posted:

Yes that's true. It's just annoying if you're on a map without lots of hills.

Also the comment section of that youtube video is a complete cesspit of tears and rage over how Firaxis could commit such atrocity by having a woman in charge of Korea (or any civ at all).

I'm sure they'll have a hill start bias to help compensate, just like Greece does.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

CompeAnansi posted:

I'm sure they'll have a hill start bias to help compensate, just like Greece does.

I decided to give Indonesia a go last night to try out their faith bonus against ocean/lakes and it look like 4 restarts to spawn within one tile of water. :lol: Although it wasn't as impressive as thought, because I'd forgotten that in 6 you had to get your great prophet with GP points, no just faith.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Poil posted:

Yes that's true. It's just annoying if you're on a map without lots of hills.

Also the comment section of that youtube video is a complete cesspit of tears and rage over how Firaxis could commit such atrocity by having a woman in charge of Korea (or any civ at all).

That's "gamer culture" for you. I definitely wouldn't mind if all leaders in the game were women.

I think Seondeok is a nice choice for Korea. She looks kinda Southeast Asian though. :thunk:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

CompeAnansi posted:

As long as there are enough hills on the map so you can reliably put one in more than your capital it'll probably work out fine. Well, as long as their map scripts work properly.

Negrostrike posted:

That's "gamer culture" for you. I definitely wouldn't mind if all leaders in the game were women.

I think Seondeok is a nice choice for Korea. She looks kinda Southeast Asian though. :thunk:
Same.

Yeah she looks like she should be in charge of Ayutthaya instead. But :shrug:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I guess the difference between V and VI science civs might be how much of a production sink everything is. Being 10 techs ahead isn't as useful because everything takes forever to build. Science civs might not be such a monster this time around. Especially with that hill requirement eating up a tile.

Poil posted:

Well, as long as their map scripts work properly.

lol

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 5, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I really don't care for their 50-50 female leaders target but I do love the frothing rage it produces in people who do care. Make them all women, IMO

And make all the great people women

lotsa butthurt Koreans, it's pretty depressing. Seondeok was character assassinated under the (viciously patriarchal) Joseon because surely there can't have been a good Queen?? but the academic understanding has done a pretty thorough 180 on that over the past few decades. I guess that hasn't really permeated out though. Or maybe people just wanna be mad.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Negrostrike posted:

Agreed but I think Park Geun-hye would've been better.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Where are the turtle boats!!! :argh:

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Negrostrike posted:

Most of the "gamer nerds" I chat to just want good women leaders instead of ones where it feels like they googled "Queen of <X>" and just went with the first result.

I posted about this before but there's nothing that stopped them from adding:

Zenobia of Palmyra
Artemisia of Caria
Hatshepshut of Egypt (Cleopatra is fine though)
Boudicca of the Celts
Livia of Rome.

Instead they go "Yeah let's put in Gorgo and Dido." so even someone like me, who wants women leaders in this game just goes "wtf, really?"

Chucat fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 5, 2017

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I really don't care for their 50-50 female leaders target but I do love the frothing rage it produces in people who do care. Make them all women, IMO

And make all the great people women

You know, I also find it funny but if they pull a female Inca leader out of somewhere I'm gonna be like them, please Firaxis just go Huayna Capac / Pachacutec. I agree 100% with Chucat here by the way, there is a difference between adding Hatsheput / Catherine for Egypt and France and replying to women haters "lmao read a book ignorant bigot" and adding Gorgo and Dido.

I would also like to add the historic value and pride in these games, I know you USA citizens don't give a poo poo or are really ironic/cynical about it because that's the goon way, but that poo poo flies for a lot of other countries. Let's follow the example, Hatsheput is there with the greatest rulers of all time Egypt, Catherine is perhaps one step down from iconic/conqueror Napoleon but she MANAGED her country and it's interests like the best of them. It must really suck for Koreans to ditch Sejong, a REALLY GOOD GUY, for some 2nd/3rd rate ruler. I write this with my heart in hand, I'm fine for adding all 11 Incas and post-conquest Incas in a DLC or something, even a REALLY good advisor to the ruler be it female or male, but ONLY after they add Huayna Capac/Pachacutec, they were just THAT good.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 5, 2017

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Actually Americans don't care because we've literally never had a good leader, they all should have been hanged as war criminals or white supremacists or (usually) both.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Seondeok was actually cool & good and not 2nd or 3rd rate at all. It's also nice to mix things up from the exclusively Medieval rulers they've given to Korea in past games, and Seondeok is a good choice for that especially when Goguryeo rulers like Gwanggaeto probably wouldn't make it past Chinese censorship.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chucat posted:

Most of the "gamer nerds" I chat to just want good women leaders instead of ones where it feels like they googled "Queen of <X>" and just went with the first result.

Zenobia of Palmyra
Artemisia of Caria
Boudicca of the Celts
Livia of Rome.

Instead they go "Yeah let's put in Gorgo and Dido." so even someone like me, who wants women leaders in this game just goes "wtf, really?"

hell, finding women leaders is easy. they could go with ka'ahumanu of hawaii, because kamehameha ii was basically her puppet, or liliuokalani, but if they go with her, there's the problem of her being a figurehead leader while the US installed its rule of law

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Antares posted:

Actually Americans don't care because we've literally never had a good leader, they all should have been hanged as war criminals or white supremacists or (usually) both.

welcome to history, my dude

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Chucat posted:

Zenobia of Palmyra
Artemisia of Caria
Boudicca of the Celts
Livia of Rome.

Same. I was just about to mention Zenobia. Maybe with the current political climate they are avoiding that.

Hatshepshut should absolutely be the leader of Egypt. Had a much bigger impact on Egypt.

The White Dragon posted:

hell, finding women leaders is easy. they could go with ka'ahumanu of hawaii, because kamehameha ii was basically her puppet, or liliuokalani, but if they go with her, there's the problem of her being a figurehead leader while the US installed its rule of law

Yeah, they'd be better off picking the leader and building a civilization for it instead of the other way around. Hawaii would be a really cool Civ. Guessing it'd be either a religious (if Ka'ahumanu if the leader) or cultural (if Liliuokalani) is the leader.

Then again, we probably put more thought into the leader choice than they do.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
They should just add whatever historical leaders they want, and also allow a check box to make them male/female. Because who cares.

Female Shakazulu, Hire Me Firaxis.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Niwrad posted:

Hatshepshut should absolutely be the leader of Egypt. Had a much bigger impact on Egypt.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing that gets me. Let's skip Hatshepshut and have Cleopatra vamping at the camera instead. :rolleyes:

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

They should just add whatever historical leaders they want, and also allow a check box to make them male/female. Because who cares.

This is literally Civ 2. Except she's called Shakala (I just checked).

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Who cares about leader gender? If they make the leader bonuses appropriate and they're not having the female leaders walk around in sexy costumes with oversized boobs hanging out, them what does it matter?

You can always add more leaders later, either as DLC or a mod by someone who's just so mad that King whatsisname wasn't included.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I mean, considering every game is a re-writing of history, why not just let people choose Bouddica of the Zulu or Napoleon of the Amazons? There are so many ways to break the game, so who cares if a couple of combinations end up a little more powerful than others?

Or if that's too offensive and they insist on heading towards 50/50, why not give every Civ exactly 1 choice of each gender? Might be a little tough for the hyper-masculine Civs like Mongolia or Japan, but let's be real how many people knew who Amanitore was before Civ 6?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Fryhtaning posted:

I mean, considering every game is a re-writing of history, why not just let people choose Bouddica of the Zulu or Napoleon of the Amazons? There are so many ways to break the game, so who cares if a couple of combinations end up a little more powerful than others?

Hey guess what Civ 4 lets you do.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Fryhtaning posted:

Or if that's too offensive and they insist on heading towards 50/50, why not give every Civ exactly 1 choice of each gender? Might be a little tough for the hyper-masculine Civs like Mongolia or Japan, but let's be real how many people knew who Amanitore was before Civ 6?

This isn't a bad idea and I've wanted them to give multiple leaders per Civ (at least the main ones for awhile). This kills two birds with one stone.

Borte would be fine for Mongolia and Himiko for Japan.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Niwrad posted:

Borte would be fine for Mongolia and Himiko for Japan.

this, if you look hard enough you can find almost any kind of leader. man, woman, great, terrible, babbling inbred idiot, history is super long.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Chucat posted:

It's such a good feature too. Not sure how Civ6 would handle the equivalent.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It's so weird that they made it so that they totally can have multiple leaders for one civ in Civ 6, and then did it once for Greece, and then like, never again.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

It's such a good feature too. Not sure how Civ6 would handle the equivalent.

Way too tightly-integrated between leaders and civilizations in VI (and V really). It probably would be much easier to just give one option of each gender with slight differences between the two. If they really cared enough that would be much easier to add to VI, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Greece is already done that way, so the pieces are in place. I couldn't see it being unprofitable for them to create a gender-balancing DLC for :10bux: and let the triggered people throw money at it, but my crystal ball tells me it won't happen.

Chucat posted:

Oh yeah, that custom game option. Really the only reason that was even possible was because the civs and leaders were very loosely coupled. But yes, that exactly, if it were even possible to do at this point.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I've always felt the games should have more leaders. They sure as hell aren't going to put effort into the AI or gameplay. So the only interesting aspect is playing with new Civs and leaders. I don't even need fancy animations. I can't imagine this being that tough, especially since leaders don't typically have strong enough abilities on their own to create an imbalance.

In a world of microtransactions, I'd think it would be a decent way to make some money.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the first thing i did in civ 6 was turn of leader animations

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Hey now, Cleopatra ruled over Egypt at its greatest extent.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Prav posted:

I don't mind the animations, just the interminable notifications that they hate you for not having enough ships or whatever other bs makes them mad.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Glass of Milk posted:

I don't mind the animations, just the interminable notifications that they hate you for not having enough ships or whatever other bs makes them mad.

HOW DARE YOU NOT SPREAD YOUR RELIGION TO ME

Because you're at the other end of the loving world and I just got my first Apostle, rear end.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Prav posted:

I did that as well, but after upgrading my pc I just can't leave without the animations in HD, they are SOOOOOOO well done.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Turning up every 2 turns to tell you their opinion about your faith per turn is almost certainly a 'feature' that exists to justify the animations. Basically every super irritating thing 5/6 is secondary to the decision to focus on leader portraits, depending on how you feel about 1upt.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I wouldn't mind the leader popups if I didn't have to wait 10 seconds to click close every time.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Agreed, someone please make a mod to cancel those animations. TIA

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

The Human Crouton posted:

I wouldn't mind the leader popups if I didn't have to wait 10 seconds to click close every time.
The <Esc> key is your friend. Just don't be too quick with it the second time.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Cartoon posted:

The <Esc> key is your friend. Just don't be too quick with it the second time.

Yeah, I know. I hate to sound super lazy, but I sit in a way while playing where mouse only is so much more convenient.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Agreed, someone please make a mod to cancel those animations. TIA

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=872393108&searchtext=right

This is great, but it doesn't work with CQUI so I had to stop using it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Can't wait to get +5% culture and science in cities with a governer. Exciting stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Those notifications would work better as a small popup on the map with a leader portrait, because the only option now is to respond is "goodbye". Even if you could tell them to piss off then it would be something.