Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Didn't he meet her in high school too? :stare:

edit: dog tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Data Graham posted:

It's your choice. It's all up to you.

But isn't it better to know?

Yes.

Always.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

axeil posted:

Didn't he meet her in high school too? :stare:

edit: dog tax

He hadn't met her. But he'd seen her!
http://www.newsweek.com/roy-moore-wife-kayla-minor-718819

quote:

Surfaced by local website Al.com, Moore describes in his book how he met his wife at a friends’ Christmas party when he was aged 37 and she was 23. That’s already a significant age gap, but Moore goes on to explain that he had actually first set eyes on Kayla a long time before.

“Many years before, I had attended a dance recital at Gadsden State Junior College,” Moore wrote. “I remembered one of the special dances performed by a young woman whose first and last names began with the letter 'K.' It was something I had never forgotten. Could that young woman have been Kayla Kisor?”

Of course, it would turn out that, yes, that was the future Mrs. Moore. In an interview earlier this year, as Moore was campaigning for the Senate seat vacated by Jeff Sessions, Moore provided further details, including the time, of that initial meeting.

“I was standing at the back of the auditorium and I saw her at the front and I remember her name, it was Kayla Kisor, K.K,” he said. “It was, oh gosh, eight years later or something, I met her and when she told me her name I remembered K.K.”

That eight-year timeframe would have meant that Moore was 29 and Kayla just 15 when they first met. However, Moore said that he was deputy district attorney at the time, a post he began a year later, in 1977.
Also, Newsweek needs to rehire copy editors. Cripes.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

skylined! posted:

not what i expected in an ending

https://youtu.be/me9Kc-p5rK8

Holy poo poo. History has been made, people. This is like the first non-idiotic thing the LCR have done.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

Holy poo poo. History has been made, people. This is like the first non-idiotic thing the LCR have done.

They also were instrumental in getting Don't Ask Don't Tell repealed.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
This is nth D chess, regressives in AL hate The Gays rinos and therefore will do the opposite.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

WampaLord posted:

They also were instrumental in getting Don't Ask Don't Tell repealed.

I could be misrembering this, but wasn't it passed only by Dem votes? (back when Dems controlled congress?)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

I could be misrembering this, but wasn't it passed only by Dem votes? (back when Dems controlled congress?)

Yes, I believe it was viewed as a compromise position between "full gay acceptance" and "ban all gays from the military"

You know, a Bill Clinton style Third Way Democrat move.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

spunkshui posted:

Envy, Gluttony, Greed, Lust, Pride, Sloth, Wrath

Trump is the loving poster child for each and every one.

My favorite part is how he tried to read from second corinthians.

“A reading from two corinthians”

How little must you know about christianity to not call it “second corinthians?”

Who better to bring on the Rapture/Second Coming than the world's dumbest sinner? They don't like him because he represents their values - they like him because his administration makes Judgment Day all that more likely. Then they get to play volleyball with Jesus while mirthfully watching everyone who ever mocked their faith burn in Hell for all eternity. You know, like ~good Christians~.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The DCCC sent out a memo at the start of this month regarding the upcoming 2018 midterms. What entails are half-assed attempts at curtailing sexual harassment, ambiguous nonsense about unity, and general bewilderment/frustration at the memo itself by recipients.

And then there's this.

quote:

The memo mandates that candidates preserve at least 75 percent of all funds they raise for “paid communications”—which is seen as code for T.V. advertising, a method viewed by much of the new generation of Democrats as outmoded, especially for mobilizing young and minority voters who could be critical in 2018.

Hillary Clinton’s campaign and super PACs supporting her spent vastly more than Donald Trump did on television advertising during the 2016 campaign. According to one analysis, for instance, Clinton spent 53 times as much as Trump did on T.V. advertising in Florida markets during the final months of the race. Trump won the state.

While small-scale congressional races differ from presidential races, the emphasis on television advertising still irks some younger Democrats wary of the national party apparatus and seeking a new way of running political campaigns, modeled on the example of Bernie Sanders. “The [memo’s] template budget is really dishonest,” said the campaign strategist. “It’s meant to funnel money away from local parties and push it into their consultant class.”

Norman Solomon, an activist who was a Bernie Sanders 2016 convention delegate and in 2012 ran for Congress in California as a Democrat, said, “The DCCC has a very bad history of pushing out more progressive candidates during a primary—and the bad history has not ended. It’s always a subtle blackmail; if you don’t show that you can play ball, we’re going to freeze you out.”

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Boon posted:

Which is why I hate the idea of term limits and bouncing the oldest, longest serving members of a caucus
I think Jefferson or one of them give an analogy that the senate, in terms of an instrument for reflecting the people democratically, is like a teacup that can quickly bring the hot contents poured into it closer to room temperature, after it had been sitting hot in the kettle moments ago.

I think that was to the idea of 6 year terms rotating in thirds every 2 years. If a zeitgeist took hold and some new ideology was sweeping elections, it would have to have sustaining power to overtake the senate (for instance, a 2-term black president that by only existing broke the brains daily of just under half the country...). In that way the senate body was a broader time lapse snapshot of the public, and fads wouldn’t get more than a temporary beachhead.

But in a similar spirit of design, it makes sense for senators to not have term limits.

Just kidding the senate was mostly a sop to wealthy slaveholders to make sure their power reflected the influence they had to our burgeoning GDP/exports.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Thomas Jefferson was the Roy Moore of young slaves.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Who better to bring on the Rapture/Second Coming than the world's dumbest sinner? They don't like him because he represents their values - they like him because his administration makes Judgment Day all that more likely. Then they get to play volleyball with Jesus while mirthfully watching everyone who ever mocked their faith burn in Hell for all eternity. You know, like ~good Christians~.

Haha, joke's on them! Universal Salvation is the one true heterodoxy, and no-one goes to Hell at all due to the infinite mercy of God!

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
It might have been Franklin who said that, I forget, but your point stands that those guys were not exactly laudable.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Instead of terms limts, just have a mandatory retirement age

For every position

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Was there literally any benefit to passing the bill in the dead of night after scribbling illegible changes in the margins? Is the GOP just loving intentionally stepping on rakes by this point?

literally the only reason i can think of is they were worried mccain and collins might change their mind and wanted to lock it in asap

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Night10194 posted:

8 years of only having to write 'We hate the black guy and anything he likes' kinda hollowed out their ability to write legislation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdTgKarqTQ0

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Yes, I believe it was viewed as a compromise position between "full gay acceptance" and "ban all gays from the military"

What? No, I'm talking about the repeal, not the initial DADT legislation.

edit: Ah, they got 4 whole Republicans to vote for it. What an achievement.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 6, 2017

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

WampaLord posted:

This implies that 'full gay acceptance' had a chance. Which it did not. Even a good contingent of Democratics at the time were against gays being accepted. It basically came down to DADT or ban all gays. Clinton was for 'full gay acceptance'.

Before this a total ban was more or less on the books and Congress was on its way to passing a legislative ban, too. Even Bernie wasn't arguing for Full Gay Acceptance because he knew it didn't stand a chance.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah Bill Clinton was a Bad Dem™, but he was on the right side of DADT. He wanted full acceptance of gay servicemembers, but there were enough conservative assholes in the Democratic Party (especially as the South was still a congressional Dem stronghold at the time) who were willing to join the Republicans to force through a statutory ban on gay soldiers.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Bhaal posted:

Just kidding the senate was mostly a sop to wealthy slaveholders to make sure their power reflected the influence they had to our burgeoning GDP/exports.

Eh? You're thinking of the 3/5ths compromise.

The senate was a sop to small states like Rhode Island and Delaware. It was opposed by the bug states like New York and Virginia.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That Netflix documentary, Icarus, about the Russian doping scandal is pretty good. The director has a bit of a flair for the dramatic (not to minimize the real danger the whistleblower is in), but it might be eye opening to some as to the extent of state led (moral) corruption in Russia.

For anyone that missed the news, Russia was banned from the 2018 winter Olympics yesterday.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Rinkles posted:

That Netflix documentary, Icarus, about the Russian doping scandal is pretty good. The director has a bit of a flair for the dramatic (not to minimize the real danger the whistleblower is in), but it might be eye opening to some as to the extent of state led (moral) corruption in Russia.

For anyone that missed the news, Russia was banned from the 2018 winter Olympics yesterday.

Watch Putin start a loving war.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Extensive Vamping posted:

Watch Putin start a loving war.

He'd lose badly. I read the OSHA thread.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I'd be extremely surprised if Trump has the attention span to follow an explanation of the nuance of which capital of Israel we recognize.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Office Pig posted:

And then there's this.
Is this counting the free tv advertising Trump got from breathless news coverage, or is it still ignoring that as a major factor?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Priapus Unbound posted:

I'm not beating myself up. I'm trying to express frustration with the minefield that cultural exchanges can be. There are centuries of conflict at this point and I GET why someone who has spent their life explaining this poo poo would get tired of it and become derisive, but that makes it really hard to have a meaningful conversation and pointing it out sounds way too goddamn much like tone policing. Caught between the cultural rock and the racist hard place.

It's not a meaningful conversation when people straight up dismiss the conversation.

pumpinglemma posted:

I already said the article was interesting and good. My point was that I needed to read the article carefully to see the problems with the image, and even then the in-thread explanations helped a lot. (And no, I've never seen actual cartoons from the 30s, and nor I think have most people in my generation.) So I think it's going a bit far to call it "obviously problematic" and attack people for not initially seeing the issue. Just "problematic" would be fine.

Please tell us exactly how many people need to be aware of a thing before we are allowed to call it obvious, because it is "obvious" to people who are familiar with the source material and the racial biases of that time period.

stone cold posted:

the people who read the article and were extremely defensive though, those ones i don’t understand

Willful ignorance. Don't want to taint the things they like. See also incredulousness at Franken accusations, or a million other things.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So what would this hypothetical non-offensive tribute to Calloway in the Fleischer art style even look like?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

That's a pretty lovely way to describe Alabama, especially fro someone running for office there.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fulchrum posted:

So what would this hypothetical non-offensive tribute to Calloway in the Fleischer art style even look like?

Draw him like a human instead of a leering monster. Or you know, let the man alone since one lifetime of being dehumanized and mocked for the entertainment of idiot white children is surely enough.

This entire discussion is impossible for you and yours to understand because the fundamental problem of not being seen as human is unfathomable to you. It's exactly how the makers of Cuphead could watch enough Fleischer cartoons to be infatuated with the style and never once suspect there was anything racist about them, because black people being represented as animal things doesn't trip any alarm bells in your minds. It's normal, the people who object to it are weird. All those nigras need is some kindly condescension explaining how they're overreacting and they'll quiet down and stop thinking of themselves as people.

You don't get that "white teeth leering out of a giant black mouth" is filed away in the same category as hyena laughs and zebra stripes. It's a caption from a bestiary. It's not how humans think about humans.

You know the old saw about four blind men arguing in a room about what an elephant is? That's you white goons, any time racism comes up. You're all arguing about whether we're allowed to be offended that you call a trunk a snake and how many pillars a negro might rest upon, when we're in here all along going "no you assholes, we aren't elephants at all. We're people."

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Draw him like a human instead of a leering monster.

But all of the characters in Cuphead are leering monsters, and Dice guy is a die. Very few of the characters are human.
Wouldn't putting a 100% accurate Cab Calloway expy in your video game only serve to reinforce negative stereotypes. i.e. gambling?

I don't recall people having this much of a problem with Dr. Facilier, and that movie had voodoo.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Avirosb posted:

But all of the characters in Cuphead are leering monsters, and Dice guy is a die. Very few of the characters are human.
Wouldn't putting a 100% accurate Cab Calloway expy in your video game only serve to reinforce negative stereotypes. i.e. gambling?

I don't recall people having this much of a problem with Dr. Facilier, and that movie had voodoo.

loving christ I knew somebody was going to come back with that poo poo right away. I actually had a whole spoilered wypipo "rebuttal" with exactly your bullshit that I deleted because it cluttered up the point I was trying to make. You got any thoughts I won't find in this sealed envelope I have here or are you too busy hanging around back opining on how the negro is obviously a rope a bit frayed at the end.

"My" video game. gently caress you.

Here, mayo-eaters, behold: A non-racist caricature of Cab Calloway

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That's not the Fleischer style, thats Al Hirschfeld's style.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 6, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fulchrum posted:

That's not the Fleischer style, thats Al Hirschfeld's style.

Try to keep up, elephant-diddler.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Try to keep up, elephant-diddler.

Wait, whitey is loving the elephant now? Trying to keep up with the metaphors

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

loving christ I knew somebody was going to come back with that poo poo right away. I actually had a whole spoilered wypipo "rebuttal" with exactly your bullshit that I deleted because it cluttered up the point I was trying to make. You got any thoughts I won't find in this sealed envelope I have here or are you too busy hanging around back opining on how the negro is obviously a rope a bit frayed at the end.

"My" video game. gently caress you.

Here, mayo-eaters, behold: A non-racist caricature of Cab Calloway

I just don't get how paying tribute to cultural icon and entertainer Cab Calloway became an affront to all black people.
Like, characters gets based on famous individuals all the time.
Is it just the art style that's problematic? Because I can pretty much confirm that Cab never had a die for a head.

Trump is very silly.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Wait, whitey is loving the elephant now? Trying to keep up with the metaphors

Whitey is always loving the elephant, my man.

Avirosb posted:

I just don't get how

You're right, you don't. That's the entire problem here that I'm trying to discuss. But since the problem is "you don't get it," all you can do is... not get it. Black people are humans. All of 'em.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Whitey is always loving the elephant, my man.

nice

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Avirosb posted:

:rolleyes:

Dude. Do we have to do this.

There's been some interesting information posted about the history of cartoons. I've learned a lot from it, can't you just like learn something without getting all butthurt that information that makes you uncomfortable exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

You're right, you don't. That's the entire problem here that I'm trying to discuss. But since the problem is "you don't get it," all you can do is... not get it. Black people are humans. All of 'em.

Black people are all humans, but not all black people are Cab Calloway.

• Locked thread