Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm touching a shark right now, and I can confirm it is smooth no matter which way i rub it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ATP_Power posted:

"Fitted and unlined glove from basking shark skin, with the mic-rose thorns inside. Should you put your hand in, you will discover that the thorns, all directed to slant inward, will lock your hand in place in the manner of, ten thousand fishhooks. Should you attempt to remove it, the thousands of thorns will bite into the skin. You can put the gloves on, but to remove them would mean to cut them off. Gloves for life, or for one wear - the ultimate and final commitment."
Store link.

Yours for 720 Euros!

if I'm gonna wear the same pair of gloves for the rest of my life they better look like a rotted monkeys paw.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
A shark's skin may look rough under a microscope, but it feels smooth because our skin can't perceive the grooves and edges. It's like how a marble feels smooth, but is actually very uneven and bumpy. This has lead to many scientists referring to sharks as "marbleskins" in many circles.

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy

ATP_Power posted:

"Fitted and unlined glove from basking shark skin, with the mic-rose thorns inside. Should you put your hand in, you will discover that the thorns, all directed to slant inward, will lock your hand in place in the manner of, ten thousand fishhooks. Should you attempt to remove it, the thousands of thorns will bite into the skin. You can put the gloves on, but to remove them would mean to cut them off. Gloves for life, or for one wear - the ultimate and final commitment."
Store link.

Yours for 720 Euros!

yeah this is bullshit because 1. basking sharks are v smooth and 2. their scales look nothing like that

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Are you saying I bought this cursed glove for nothing

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

its all nice on rice posted:

A shark's skin may look rough under a microscope, but it feels smooth because our skin can't perceive the grooves and edges. It's like how a marble feels smooth, but is actually very uneven and bumpy. This has lead to many scientists referring to sharks as "marbleskins" in many circles.

"I can't believe how smooth this marbleskin is" -this scientist

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Dec 6, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That is clearly a knight.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"I can't believe how smooth this marbleskin is" -sea knight

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

its all nice on rice posted:

I think you’re just poking fun, but I am going to take one more shot at this before giving up and going to bed.

In the mid-1600s, when van Leeuwenhoek invented the first really useful microscopes, people (mostly van Leeuwenhoek at the beginning) put everything under them. When Robert Hooke published the Micrographia in 1660-something, he did not include shark skin, but he did include shark skin in later, less-well-known treatises. He determined that shark skin was smooth, but that was due mostly to a lack of resolution and clarity in the instruments, even using the improved designs of van Leeowenhoek, but also partially due to the importance of angle which I’ve already noted. Subsequent study showed Hooke’s conclusions on the nature of shark skin to be faulty. I think the first to show why appeared in... I want to say 1790 or 1800?

Aaaand I am reminded why I did not pursue a career in teaching after completing my degree. This subject is just too muddled in the minds of the public, and I do not have the patience.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

He determined that shark skin was smooth.

See I knew you'd come round eventually :)

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer
It's like you guys all forgot the shark petting sidequest in the Friends game. Seriously, the amount of stuff I've learned about shark skin from that little part alone is astounding.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

mrpwase posted:

See I knew you'd come round eventually :)

It was a long journey, but he finally got there.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Those gloves really make it clear where the confusion is. The smoothness of shark skin depends on which side you are rubbing. As you can clearly tell from the gloves, shark skin is very rough, but only on the inside. The outside of the shark is indeed smooth as hell.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Quit repeating a lovely twitter joke and post a funny picture you asshats.

Look at this rear end in a top hat who thinks he’s sneaky.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

budgieinspector posted:

You should check out their line of condoms.

THANK YOU. Barbed condoms.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Why do you think swimmers shave? Smoother skin lets them swim as fast as sharks, the smoothest and fastest sea animal ever known

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Pretty sure it was yahoo answers :rolleyes:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

Look at this rear end in a top hat who thinks he’s sneaky.

I posted a funny picture of a shark getting petted jerkwad and people are having fun, stop being a jerkwad

to be fair i didn't know it was a twitter thing either

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo. I had no idea this was a Twitter thing. I just looked it up and saw the comic. That sort of poo poo is why people in my field have to keep dealing with this nonsense.

Instead of feeling like I wasted my time, I choose to feel good that I got to justify some of my very hefty student loans by taking my minor (degree subject, not child) out for a walk.

Edit: Going to sleep for real, now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Sharks; Nature's Fleshlight

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I do love (and I do this too) the Something Awful immediate recoiling for enjoying any joke or meme that came from offsite, like we are only allowed to love our own stuff

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Aesop Poprock posted:

I do love (and I do this too) the Something Awful immediate recoiling for enjoying any joke or meme that came from offsite, like we are only allowed to love our own stuff

Something Awful is the Australia of dead gay forums vast trackless lands devoid of jokes or even the most sensible chuckle, and yet we manage to wheeze through our Cheeto stained neck beards to the vast ships full of good jokes 'gently caress of we're full'.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I went swimming with sharks last year but the guides told me not to touch them to avoid "incidents" so I have no idea if they're smooth or not :(

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
The only way to get truly clean

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VanSandman posted:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

We Know Catheters posted:

The only way to get truly clean

That won't work at all. You gotta use waxing strips to get the rear end hairs off for ultimate cleanliness, tape won't do it.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Is that a real goon

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Man, I went swimming with sharks last year but the guides told me not to touch them to avoid "incidents" so I have no idea if they're smooth or not :(

You should go on another trip so you can confirm sharks are as smooth as silk, it'll break your mind.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is this the meme thread now?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

DiggityDoink posted:

You should go on another trip so you can confirm sharks are as smooth as silk, it'll break your mind.

Silk is rough as gently caress, why are you comparing nice smooth sharks to lovely rough silk?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I’m so god drat confused

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’m so god drat confused

Long story short, Veni Vidi Ameche! is a goddamn moron.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/MetroUK/status/938376499903778816

Never mind the fairy, kudos for getting the jar in sideways

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
the street sharks were smooth operators.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
jawsome

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Holy poo poo. I had no idea this was a Twitter thing. I just looked it up and saw the comic. That sort of poo poo is why people in my field have to keep dealing with this nonsense.

Instead of feeling like I wasted my time, I choose to feel good that I got to justify some of my very hefty student loans by taking my minor (degree subject, not child) out for a walk.

Edit: Going to sleep for real, now.

Your degree taught you wildly inaccurate information that sharks weren't the absolute Kings of smoothness. I'd write a complaint asking for their accreditation to be revoked immediately until such time that they update their courses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Your degree taught you wildly inaccurate information that sharks weren't the absolute Kings of smoothness. I'd write a complaint asking for their accreditation to be revoked immediately until such time that they update their courses.

I get that you’re making a joke, but my alma mater has one of the top 30 whale biology graduate degree programs in the state.

Roro posted:

Long story short, Veni Vidi Ameche! is a goddamn moron.

I am just trying to clear up a few misconceptions about a topic which is important to me. Sharks are awesome and deserve to be understood. They’re less awesome than whales, obviously, but still...