Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

sassassin posted:

It's another 6-9 months from being a great or solid product.

Thinking of ME as "Free-LC" seems disingenuous when the combined map was a major part of their sales pitch for this game. It isn't an extra bonus they're throwing in out of the goodness of their hearts, this is what they were asking people to pay for.

LuiCypher posted:

However, since it's [ME] something they've always promised the players since the first game, it's fine to try to hold them accountable to their own promises. They're certainly trying to live up to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't really agree that WH1 is in a much better place or more complete than WH2 because the WH2 races are so much better designed than the first game's that it's almost jarring. That and certain huge improvements, such as the massive overhaul to how agents function, means that the thought of playing WH1 again is pretty repellent to me.

Missing out on Norsca for so long sucks, but it's extremely easy to stop Old Norsca from ruining the map with a simple mod tweak to gut their income.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 6, 2017

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

LuiCypher posted:

Yeah, that's a pretty reasonable stance - can't/don't want to argue with it.

I think it's also reasonable to be disappointed that they have to take a lot of extra time to implement one of the best campaigns that they designed - ironically, the reason why it's so well-designed is because they didn't bother to think about integrating it into TWW2 and just let it be its own thing without oversight - as they said, it has a lot of 'bespoke code' that's not at all present in TWW2.

I just find it hilarious when people start calling TWW2 a poo poo game over something that, in the big picture, is really just a minor inconvenience compared to what you're actually getting. Ultimately, what's already there is a great and solid product. Moreover, Norsca isn't a part of base TWW2 - the Vortex Campaign and four (soon to be five) new races are. Mortal Empires and all the TWW1 races (including Norsca) are just a bonus. However, since it's something they've always promised the players since the first game, it's fine to try to hold them accountable to their own promises. They're certainly trying to live up to them.

In the grand scheme of game developers though, CA is pretty loving good. They've provided a lot of Free-LC for TWW, and will continue to do so - ME is one such example, and they'll continue to polish it over time. Their race packs (aside from WoC), though seemingly pricey, are pretty fair considering the work that goes into them and the fact that they keep trying to push themselves creatively in campaign design with each new race. Still doesn't change the fact that it sucks rear end that they let Norsca get out of hand and it's going to take a shitload of work to program themselves out of that black hole. But the game is still fun and good, and I'm definitely looking forward to Tomb Kings.

In their own words they're pretty bad.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I like both games and I like that they change stuff around and add stuff and I like that they just admitted that they're having a hard time instead of giving us a barf bag full of marketing speech. Shooting everything in the face with Dark Elves rules.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST
If all you were interested in was the Vortex campaign then I guess TWW2 is a pretty good product, it has a lot of good mechanic changes (magic improvement, agent usage, more interesting campaign map features), although I think people are overestimating how much thought went into the new races (HE and Lizardmen aren't exactly rocket science to play) even if they all look really good.

The problem for CA is that the series is actively promoted and developed as a collection that fits into a greater whole, and that whole (ME) has terrible balance, bugs, and missing content that some people have spent ~$200 to get to play, CA's response is "well, we screwed up but we'll eventually fix it". What's sad is how much just a little honesty from the studio people will eat up as excuses, instead of you know, the company spending more resources to fix their own cash cow. They barely even bother to fix basic bugs modders fixed in the first week.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Vortex campaign just feels incomplete. mortal Empires feels incomplete-r. I'll revisit in a couple years when they have rolled out some updated start positions and maybe added a race or two.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

new phone who dis posted:

I like both games and I like that they change stuff around and add stuff and I like that they just admitted that they're having a hard time instead of giving us a barf bag full of marketing speech. Shooting everything in the face with Dark Elves rules.

This is kinda how I am feeling about things so far. Yeah there are issues but goddamn is a dark elf firing line not the most satisfying thing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm having more fun playing TWW1 as factions I enjoy from that game. It just balances way better and turn 120 isn't whoever you are vs the white and blue megablocs of dwarfs and high elves.

I know people allege that they've had games without a blue tide, but every game I'm not orcs they take over everything right up into norsca and have the expansionist and aggressive traits which is loving mind blowing.,

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
In my ME game, Brettonia have conquered Norsca, the HE were super strong until we started fighting and the Lizards are pretty strong, too. I don't have any idea what's going on in the Empire because I'm too wrapped up in my neighbors and their bullshit. I think the Wood Elves might be kicking rear end.

That's why I restarted a vortex campaign because it was like I was playing one anyway. Morathi surprisingly took over the entire southern portion of the Dark Elf Empire and was a great distraction for the Lizards and High Elves while I came in and crushed them from above.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
After thinking about it a bit, the thing that aggravates me the most about the Norsca thing isn't just that 8 months is ridiculous and the endless chariot tide is forever blah, but also that they've basically derailed the whole content schedule for Warhammer 2 by screwing up so bad.

What we're looking at now is Tomb Kings in January (4 months after game 2 release) Norsca in May, and then like maybe they'll have time to work on other DLCs/free content sometime in, I dunno...June? July? I'm basing this off CA's own statements on Reddit that they're releasing Tomb Kings because it's already done, but they likely won't be working on anything else until Norsca is done.

9 months after Warhammer 1 we had four races, (Chaos, Beastmen, Wood Elves, Brettonia) 2 lord packs and a bunch of FLC. 9 Months after Warhammer 2, we might have, uh, Mortal Empires, a Race Pack, and the Pre-order bonus.

It's such a huge delay I have to wonder if they'll even be able to put out as much DLC/free content as they originally had planned. Realistically it's either cutting something or delaying Game 3 considerably from their original plan, especially with all the historical games and crap they've got planned for next year.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

madmac posted:

After thinking about it a bit, the thing that aggravates me the most about the Norsca thing isn't just that 8 months is ridiculous and the endless chariot tide is forever blah, but also that they've basically derailed the whole content schedule for Warhammer 2 by screwing up so bad.

What we're looking at now is Tomb Kings in January (4 months after game 2 release) Norsca in May, and then like maybe they'll have time to work on other DLCs/free content sometime in, I dunno...June? July? I'm basing this off CA's own statements on Reddit that they're releasing Tomb Kings because it's already done, but they likely won't be working on anything else until Norsca is done.

9 months after Warhammer 1 we had four races, (Chaos, Beastmen, Wood Elves, Brettonia) 2 lord packs and a bunch of FLC. 9 Months after Warhammer 2, we might have, uh, Mortal Empires, a Race Pack, and the Pre-order bonus.

It's such a huge delay I have to wonder if they'll even be able to put out as much DLC/free content as they originally had planned. Realistically it's either cutting something or delaying Game 3 considerably from their original plan, especially with all the historical games and crap they've got planned for next year.

The historical stuff is done by different teams to warhammer, and they said on reddit that while the DLC schedule has obviously been set back, the amount of stuff they'll be releasing hasn't changed or been reduced. Don't forget we're also getting the new 'experiment' game mode soon and a new Skaven LL in january with the Tomb Kings.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
If the new mode is randomized start positions, all os forgiven.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Spears only, no spells, final destination.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It is a disappointment since I'm sure more then just myself have been holding off playing the northern factions until old norsca isn't ruining everything they touch, but I can wait, warhams will still be around in may, in the meantime there are mods on the workshop to make norsca less of a dominating presence in every game.

What I really want is the beard tide trimmed a bit.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

True Chaos Invasion survival mode. Endless stacks of Chaos, you have 20 turns to prep then defend as long as you can until Altdorf falls.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH1LcAZhZ_Y

Guys this is obviously the most important part of the info they pushed out.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Gonkish posted:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Gonkish posted:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This thread seems very sad about tomb kings being out really soon.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Tomb Kings are going to be pretty hilarious because their map positioning alleviates most of the pain points with Mortal Empires; they're a million miles away from Old Norsca so they basically will never interact except in a map-painting scenario or during the Chaos invasion, and they're positioned close enough to the Badlands that they can break the dwarfball before it forms without having to drop everything and sail around the world.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

So what exactly is the deal with this battle difficulty bug? People seem to be implying that only very hard and easy are swapped but the original linked thread made out that all the respective battle difficulties are backwards and not just vh/e.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The delay in Norsca does not necessarily mean everything else is delayed by that much. It might be taking that long specifically because they aren't putting a lot of resources into it. Indeed, they likely aren't in any case, since stuff like the art assets are already made.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

The historical stuff is done by different teams to warhammer, and they said on reddit that while the DLC schedule has obviously been set back, the amount of stuff they'll be releasing hasn't changed or been reduced. Don't forget we're also getting the new 'experiment' game mode soon and a new Skaven LL in january with the Tomb Kings.

Those teams are staffed from the same senior pool. They're not running three separate development teams of equal size and talent to the one that was handling TW1's post-release cycle. Manpower has been divided, and there have even been layoffs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

JBP posted:

This thread seems very sad about tomb kings being delayed from December to January.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Save us, Settra!!!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Will tomb kings have a corruption mechanic? It's going to be interesting crossing the desert without that poo poo making it a painstaking nightmare journey.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Desert attrition should give them increased replenishment instead

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

JBP posted:

Will tomb kings have a corruption mechanic? It's going to be interesting crossing the desert without that poo poo making it a painstaking nightmare journey.

Probably not, although they could maybe wrangle some kind of spreading desert motif. Think there's something in the lore that's similar to that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm going to take my skeletons straight up north and find sutha ek for a fuckin chariot showdown.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Tomb Kings will probably want to build tall won't they? Their whole thing is restoring their kingdoms to their former glory and taking back anything that's been stolen from them, land or treasure.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Tomb Kings will probably want to build tall won't they? Their whole thing is restoring their kingdoms to their former glory and taking back anything that's been stolen from them, land or treasure.

Go full Hwan Empire. If they owned everything, gotta take it all back :getin:

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I made a mod that re-caps damage res at 100%. Idk if I'll ever actually play with it but if you want to re-live the glory days of Actually Invincible Kholek, there you go.

Truecon420 posted:

If you could make such a mod I’d really appreciate it! I’ve seen a lot of people asking for something similar, so I think it’d be popular. I really don’t need much of a change here, Something like lessening the penalty based on the type of deal that was broken and maybe a reduction in the number of turns your rating is ranked for. Thank you!!

Took longer than I meant to, but here you go. I'm not exactly sure what the 1 to 1 relationship is between the numbers I changed and what happens when you break treaties (I have a feeling it's number of turns penalised), but I made the big numbers lower and people get less mad when you're a filthy backstabbing liar now. Break trade agreements at will, break NAPs sooner and with less penalty and a few other things.

Its picture is boring af and I hate it, but it works I guess.

idk why CA is bothering to be coy about their campaign pack when

quote:

wh_dlc08_fact_group_tomb_kings Tomb Kings x wh_main_faction_trait_humans [Placeholder] 7

Gitro fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 6, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gitro posted:

idk why CA is bothering to be coy about their campaign pack when

Look at how long they were coy about the skaven. They're just teasing the reveal, not expecting it to be any big secret.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
yeah fair enough.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gitro posted:

I made a mod that re-caps damage res at 100%. Idk if I'll ever actually play with it but if you want to re-live the glory days of Actually Invincible Kholek, there you go.

What are the vanilla caps on resistances?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I think it caps out at 80%.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Gitro posted:

Took longer than I meant to, but here you go. I'm not exactly sure what the 1 to 1 relationship is between the numbers I changed and what happens when you break treaties (I have a feeling it's number of turns penalised), but I made the big numbers lower and people get less mad when you're a filthy backstabbing liar now. Break trade agreements at will, break NAPs sooner and with less penalty and a few other things.

That’s perfect! Thank you so much!

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Sinteres posted:

Look at how long they were coy about the skaven. They're just teasing the reveal, not expecting it to be any big secret.

They were also coy about the Skaven because that was a Warhammer in-joke and by announcing them last, it made them the 13th playable faction announced (not counting alternate-starts like Crooked Moon and Carcassone).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Finally, the Community Modding Framework and Instant Quest Battle mods are now working. Must've been pretty rough on Crynsos considering he's the one taking the lead on making sure all these mods work together, and when an update goes wrong it ends up loving everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I get a kick out of the empire dilemma on whether or not to reveal Skaven to the populace.

:v: Nope no Skaven here uh uh those creatures skittering around at night? Just ah, really hairy goblins yeah"