Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Can't wait to see how Donny puts his foot in his mouth about not winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

This is the weirdest story, I swear.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

There Bias Two posted:

What the gently caress would cause structural changes to their brains?

Precursor to there being actual real world supervillians/superheros. You heard it here first.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

STAC Goat posted:

I like Seder and think he got railroaded but from a practical perspective the second you find yourself having to defend or explain a "rape joke" you've probably already lost the fight. Especially when dealing with a corporate employer.

You know, unless you're on the right where there are no standards or anything.

But being an actual rapist isn't enough to upset a corporate employer.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I don't know what I like better about the Cuphead discussion - the goons rushing in to insist that because they're not immediately familiar with the racial overtones of a thing, it must therefore be not problematic; or the goons rushing in to scream that you can't find a thing problematic because that inherently strips it of all value and means that it must be rendered to ash and struck from the lexicon to never be mentioned again

Here's a hint: 90% of American culture is problematic in some way, 99% if you actually listen to music written post-1880

actual favorite thing: goons rushing in to insist that "lookee here" was a standard part of 1920's vernacular and not the 1920's equivalent to an Ebonics joke

next favorite thing: the goons that are about to rush in here with an explanation that "lookee here" was actually a 19th century rural American slang popularized by Mark Twain that they just discovered through a google search to defend their video game and without any thought to the context of how language and cultural signifiers that were 19th century rural could be applied to 20th century African-Americans as a way to identify them as ignorant and backwards

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There Bias Two posted:

"just being around communism, apparently"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Worth remembering that Kushner has ties to settlement supporting groups and is "in charge" of the Middle East peace stuff.

This could be his work.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

skeleton warrior posted:

actual favorite thing: goons rushing in to insist that "lookee here" was a standard part of 1920's vernacular and not the 1920's equivalent to an Ebonics joke

next favorite thing: the goons that are about to rush in here with an explanation that "lookee here" was actually a 19th century rural American slang popularized by Mark Twain that they just discovered through a google search to defend their video game and without any thought to the context of how language and cultural signifiers that were 19th century rural could be applied to 20th century African-Americans as a way to identify them as ignorant and backwards

This is good information, thanks.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Withnail posted:

Precursor to there being actual real world supervillians/superheros. You heard it here first.

I second this. This is exactly the type of news article you would expect to read as a rando in a zombie apocalypse or superhero movie right before poo poo goes down. Are the X-Men going to show up in Cuba?

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

skeleton warrior posted:

I don't know what I like better about the Cuphead discussion - the goons rushing in to insist that because they're not immediately familiar with the racial overtones of a thing, it must therefore be not problematic; or the goons rushing in to scream that you can't find a thing problematic because that inherently strips it of all value and means that it must be rendered to ash and struck from the lexicon to never be mentioned again

Here's a hint: 90% of American culture is problematic in some way, 99% if you actually listen to music written post-1880

No one cares. In the real world I mean, this is just something internet morons love arguing about but nobody actually gives a real gently caress.

TROIKA CURES GREEK fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 6, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Or the type of article that the protagonist picks up while savaging through the post apocalypse trash.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

Worth remembering that Kushner has ties to settlement supporting groups and is "in charge" of the Middle East peace stuff.

This could be his work.

Protestant nut jobs have been trying to prop Israel up in a specific way because they believe it'll help bring about the Second Coming for years though.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

More then that it’s a “easy” promise for trump. All he has to do is jerk off and opine how smart he is about it. He doesn’t give a gently caress about what happens after.

Trump also can’t lose doing it - he pisses off the Arab world and somewhere down the line we’re guaranteed to see a protest against the US, maybe a photo of a burned flag. Trump then get Fox News on the wire and tells his half-wit supporters “See? Muslims hate us for our freedoms!” then enacts Travel Ban II: Bigot Harder, further appeasing his bass through racism and xenophobia and further pushing away the Arab nations.

This is an easy punching bag for Trump because a huge chunk of Americans are morons and are bigoted as all hell. I fully expect him to harp on this for a looooooong time.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

There Bias Two posted:

I second this. This is exactly the type of news article you would expect to read as a rando in a zombie apocalypse or superhero movie right before poo poo goes down. Are the X-Men going to show up in Cuba?

Highly aggressive prions spread through biting

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Rinkles posted:

Some people might find it inappropriate and crass, whoever it's mocking, and he's representing MSNBC.

It's a comedian making a graphic but in no way immoral joke on twitter. It's not like he was on air or on a corporate account which could be considered inappropriate for off-color humor. I'd call this a nothing burger but for MSNBC taking a big juicy bite of it. Like how can anyone be offended by this in a world where the TV show of choice is a rape/murderfest where the heroes are an incestuous couple. Plus, you know, the political party in power is actively trying to break the world.

America is dumb in a way that is going to kill all of us.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Withnail posted:

Maybe, my guess is it’s the effect of hosed up weapons that we already know that the Russians have.

Shifty Pony posted:

This could be his work.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Protestant nut jobs have been trying to prop Israel up in a specific way because they believe it'll help bring about the Second Coming for years though.

It’s both probably.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

No one cares. In the real world I mean, this is just something internet morons love arguing about but nobody actually gives a real gently caress.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fulchrum posted:

Wouldn't the comparison here be if you made a game in the style of realism, which is what those old posters were done in, but which wasn't exclusively used for that art? These comparisons people are making seem to be implying not that there were racist cartoons of the period, but that every cartoon of the period was just exclusively racist jokes.

No those art styles weren't used exclusively for problematic purposes, but you try using them now without people rightly pointing out what they are predominantly associated with in the eyes of history. Or defending your artistic choice by saying "Well actually it's a left-pointing swastika which dates back to ancient India, therefore"

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Office Pig posted:

loving SCHUMER

Breaking: New York Ahkenazi Jew is pro-Israel.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I'll pay good eve gold for someone to make a cuphead version of goonsay

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Yeah, like, I got sent to white-as-hell private Catholic schools up until going to college, which as you might guess did not do the deepest of dives into the lovely racist past of the country, even though it directly informs our lovely racist present. I am also totally unsurprised that devs of Cuphead didn't fully absorb the problems with that era of animation, and just took what they liked because the art style was cool - which seems to me to be the kind of poo poo white people have been doing forever.

Christ on sale, you goons, it's okay to not have known about the problems with using Fleischer animation for a bideo jame. I don't see the issue with saying, "gently caress, that sucks, let me educate myself and not try to tie myself in knots defending, essentially, racism and racists long dead." Maybe listen to the people of color telling you you're being an ignorant fuckwit, acknowledge it, and try just being better. Like someone asked earlier, is there just a push alert for when people start talking about social justice issues in media you like?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ague Proof posted:

This is good information, thanks.

[Nelson voice] ha ha! [/Nelson voice]

You're welcome, and thank you as well, Ague Proof.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 6, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

using political means that will likely lead to the deaths of many innocents, to coax christ out of a two thousand year hibernation, is so incredibly juicy ironicat

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It took me an embarrassingly long time to come to understand that when evangelical types screamed about the immorality of modern society or whatever bringing about the end of the world, they weren't speaking out of horror or fear or trying to warn us against it. They were speaking out of excitement. They are serious about this poo poo and they want it in the worst way

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

skylined! posted:

using political means that will likely lead to the deaths of many innocents, to coax christ out of a two thousand year hibernation, is so incredibly juicy ironicat

We just need an atrocity big enough to coax him into dying for our sins again!

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Video games about cups really tea me off :cheeky:

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
The game wouldn't be so bad if that one guy didn't constantly mug for the camera :(

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hanales posted:

Please tell us exactly how many people need to be aware of a thing before we are allowed to call it obvious, because it is "obvious" to people who are familiar with the source material and the racial biases of that time period.

it's a free country you can do what you want, but something requiring specialized knowledge not generally posessed to recognize is virtually the definition of non-obvious

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

Southern strategy

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

skeleton warrior posted:

the goons rushing in to scream that you can't find a thing problematic because that inherently strips it of all value and means that it must be rendered to ash and struck from the lexicon to never be mentioned again

Well, there's also the goons who are equating "problematic" with "salt the earth and never speak of it again."

And hell, maybe they're right. Because the problem with calling something "problematic" is that, ok, you've identified a problem, what's the solution? And there are only so many possible solutions. The first time I asked in this thread "ok, what should the creators have done?" I got the response

stone cold posted:

they could’ve perhaps

and i know this is hard

talked to some black people

And when I went and looked on the team page and verified that the game developers actually had talked to black people and in fact one of the primary animators was African-American, and he'd given interviews where he stated that he had a great deal of creative input on the animation . . . .

stone cold posted:

you can talk all you like but what i see is all white men in leadership and one black person period

So, if "involve black artists and give them a role in the creative decisionmaking" is not sufficient (and Stone Cold has a really solid argument that it isn't, I'm not stating she's wrong!), that really only leaves two solutions to this problem:

1) Nobody should be using this art style period, because no matter how much you purge the explicit racism, there will still be implicit racist connotations,

or

2) Stay away from this art style and period unless you are an african-american creative lead (a la the Jay-z "Story of O.J.").

or

3) something else?

Contrary to the various accusations above, I'm not really trying to "defend cuphead" here (I like the soundtrack but the game is waaay too hard for me to play). I just think it's intriguing that a big chunk of folks seem to be content to declare it "problematic" and then want to stop the discussion there. If it's problematic, then problems require solutions. What's the solution? Should Cuphead not have been made? Now that it is made, is it responsible to support it? You can't just say "well, it's problematic" and then refuse to tackle the problematic issues that are raised. Calling something "problematic" is the beginning of a discussion, not a resolution.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

These puns are crimes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

There Bias Two posted:

We just need an atrocity big enough to coax him into dying for our sins again!

Yeah pretty much, it’s like a bad rpg plot “ if we can create a super war and reanact our holy scriptures, we can summon the Christ and end the world”.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.
I first learned of Cab Calloway as a young child when the Blues Brothers movie came out, and his big number near the end was the coolest poo poo ever. I looked into and enjoyed his music but remained largely ignorant of the art and animation stuff brought up in this thread, and am now wondering what my enjoyment of his music means in a greater social context.

gently caress Cuphead
gently caress mayonnaise
The piss tape is real

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

That's definitely true, but that particular doomsday cult doesn't have all that big of a pull with Trump.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's very likely just a virus or pathogen they can't detect, not an attack.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
No Corey Feldman????

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it should've been kaepernick.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Cuphead guys probably sincerely believed they were doing a Fleischer tribute without any of the racist elements -- even the black guy (because black guys don't automatically gain an encyclopedic knowledge of racist dogwhistles throughout history just by being black). I mean, if they didn't at least try to avoid that stuff, there would've been a lot more in there. Still, I don't think there's anything wrong with saying "good effort, but here are a few ways you could've done better. You've peeled away one layer of racism, here's the next." None of the articles in question have been frothing at the mouth accusing them of being KKK, so let's not preemptively get all defensive.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, there's also the goons who are equating "problematic" with "salt the earth and never speak of it again."

And hell, maybe they're right. Because the problem with calling something "problematic" is that, ok, you've identified a problem, what's the solution? And there are only so many possible solutions. The first time I asked in this thread "ok, what should the creators have done?" I got the response

And when I went and looked on the team page and verified that the game developers actually had talked to black people and in fact one of the primary animators was African-American, and he'd given interviews where he stated that he had a great deal of creative input on the animation . . . .

So, if "involve black artists and give them a role in the creative decisionmaking" is not sufficient (and Stone Cold has a really solid argument that it isn't, I'm not stating she's wrong!), that really only leaves two solutions to this problem:

1) Nobody should be using this art style period, because no matter how much you purge the explicit racism, there will still be implicit racist connotations,

or

2) Stay away from this art style and period unless you are an african-american creative lead (a la the Jay-z "Story of O.J.").

or

3) something else?

Contrary to the various accusations above, I'm not really trying to "defend cuphead" here (I like the soundtrack but the game is waaay too hard for me to play). I just think it's intriguing that a big chunk of folks seem to be content to declare it "problematic" and then want to stop the discussion there. If it's problematic, then problems require solutions. What's the solution? Should Cuphead not have been made? Now that it is made, is it responsible to support it? You can't just say "well, it's problematic" and then refuse to tackle the problematic issues that are raised. Calling something "problematic" is the beginning of a discussion, not a resolution.

My opinion is

Learn things

Learning is cool

And the more you learn, the better a sense you will personally get as to whether it's a good idea to ape an art style you think is cool but is a cultural minefield, or whether you will never be good enough or woke enough to get away with it and had better steer clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah pretty much, it’s like a bad rpg plot “ if we can create a super war and reanact our holy scriptures, we can summon the Christ and end the world”.

Not just that but they're trying to reenact first century political allegory which is very obviously political allegory. It'd be like if future people tried reenacting Hunger Games to bring about the end of the world. This isn't the first time though, modern Christianity has a long history of adopting fan fiction into the canon; most of the contemporary idea of Hell comes from a combination of Paradise Lost and the Divine Comedy.

• Locked thread