Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

mindphlux posted:

which team/chili were you? I got to try quite a few of them, curious if we did yours!

numbers were crazy, definitely the crowded-est chomp I've been to. But I think they spaced it out well, wasn't as frenzied as I remember a few of them being.

Our team name was "we make chili" and our chili was called "it's just chili". Scaling up the recipe to five gallons was harder than I thought, but I was proud enough of it at the end.

This year felt way less crowded to me than last year, but that may well be because I spent all my time drunk behind a booth instead of waiting in line and working my way through the crowd. Either way I give it 5/5, would get drunk at again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I will caveat I couldn't make last years, so I guess I missed out!

Not sure I tried your chili, but congrats on the successful making. It does seem like a lot. I ran the costs on my test batch of chili, and I was looking at like $380 for ingredients for 5 gallons and did a big nopeeeee.

I think having friends over and sitting out on porches is probably the way to go, I might do that next year. Everyone is sure to get chili without any hassle, no time pressure to arrive, still can wander over to the park...

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Grain in midtown unceremoniously closed a week or so ago, their landlord apparently noticed that they'd managed to build a bit of a following so he executed a lease clause, tossed them out, and is working on (re)opening his own place there. Problem is, they had a following because both of the bartenders were loving awesome and made great cocktails, without them the location has no draw for myself and my co-workers who regularly went there.

One of the loving awesome bartenders landed at Golden Eagle which is a stone's throw from my house. Popped in Saturday night to say hi and check it out and hooo boy it was packed. Guessing it was a combination of Chomp and Stompers and new restaurant groupies coupled with the rain making 2/3 of the patio unusable. 2 hour wait for a spot at the bar so we grabbed a drink and huddled in the wings and then got the gently caress out. Didn't try any food but the cocktails were good and the space is cool, looking forward to getting back over there once the buzz dies down a bit.

Now I need a good place in midtown near the Biltmore to drink after work. Cypress is fine for hard drinking but if anyone has suggestions for something a bit less crowded and a bit more...adult? ESS is a bit of a hike. Ecco has potential but not sure what their bar/cocktail scene is like. Square Bar in the Canteen is also on the list to try. Maybe The Lawrence? Any other suggestions?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Stalizard posted:

Our team name was "we make chili" and our chili was called "it's just chili". Scaling up the recipe to five gallons was harder than I thought, but I was proud enough of it at the end.

This year felt way less crowded to me than last year, but that may well be because I spent all my time drunk behind a booth instead of waiting in line and working my way through the crowd. Either way I give it 5/5, would get drunk at again

Ooh I think we know some of the same people, neat!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lawen posted:

Now I need a good place in midtown near the Biltmore to drink after work. Cypress is fine for hard drinking but if anyone has suggestions for something a bit less crowded and a bit more...adult? ESS is a bit of a hike. Ecco has potential but not sure what their bar/cocktail scene is like. Square Bar in the Canteen is also on the list to try. Maybe The Lawrence? Any other suggestions?

alluvia

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Decent article about the state of BBQ in the Atlanta area

http://www.foodandwine.com/travel/united-states/atlanta-barbecue

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Who has been to the Christmas pop-up bar? I hear they have Björk tarot cards. There are two locations? I'm in town this weekend. I think SOS has a festive menu happening. Hello.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for that BBQ article, I'd actually yet to hear anything about B's Cracklin but man alive does that sound promising and their menu outright looks super solid at a glance.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Headed to Atlanta for New Years, any recommendations for a dinner place in north ATL/Sandy Springs area?

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Tamales alert!

Christmas Eve arrived and my wife surprised me with a trip to La Promesa off Nocross Tucker Rd to eat my fill of tamales. Abuelitas were slinging the standard Northern Mexican corn husk tamales and Oaxacan tamales wrapped in banana leaf. Both came in red/green chile versions that were excellent. Their pan dulce was cleared out so I'm not sure if they just focus on tamales or if they're that good. To be honest I've never been impressed with any pan dulce in Atlanta so I'm still on the hunt for that magic flavor if anyone knows a good panaderia.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Headed to Atlanta for New Years, any recommendations for a dinner place in north ATL/Sandy Springs area?

if I was going to go out for dinner for nye, without reservations at this point, I'd probably head to buford highway. go to canton house or another cantonese place and get a whole roast duck or some lobster or something?

I was debating going out, but ended up picking up the makings for an epic seafood tower from buford farmers market yesterday. clams, whelks, periwinkles, stone crab, oysters, mussels, caviar, prawns, sea snails. gonna be completely amazing, and set us back like $30-40 + caviar in materials. friend's houseparty afterwards. done!

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 31, 2017

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

mindphlux posted:

if I was going to go out for dinner for nye, without reservations at this point, I'd probably head to buford highway. go to canton house or another cantonese place and get a whole roast duck or some lobster or something?

I was debating going out, but ended up picking up the makings for an epic seafood tower from buford farmers market yesterday. clams, whelks, periwinkles, stone crab, oysters, mussels, caviar, prawns, sea snails. gonna be completely amazing, and set us back like $30-40 + caviar in materials. friend's houseparty afterwards. done!

Does Buford Farmers Market have caviar or did you get it somewhere else? I've been on a bit of a caviar kick lately and am on the lookout for sources and options. The UGA stuff that Kimball House has is really good and only about $55-60/oz from Inland Seafood for proper sturgeon caviar. They also have something called Cajun Caviar which is from the bowfin fish and at $25/oz it's a steal, I took a few ounces to family Christmas. Best I've had recently was some Bulgarian ossetra at McCradys.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lawen posted:

Does Buford Farmers Market have caviar or did you get it somewhere else? I've been on a bit of a caviar kick lately and am on the lookout for sources and options. The UGA stuff that Kimball House has is really good and only about $55-60/oz from Inland Seafood for proper sturgeon caviar. They also have something called Cajun Caviar which is from the bowfin fish and at $25/oz it's a steal, I took a few ounces to family Christmas. Best I've had recently was some Bulgarian ossetra at McCradys.

yeah, buford has a pretty good selection, around the eastern european cured fish section. we got some bowfin for ours, but they usually have top to bottom quality wise.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
The Crips and Bloods were selling sugar cane colas at Freedom Farmers Market today. I bought some Blood Pop and am now a Blood.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Hi! I'm moving from Richmond VA to Atlanta in June. I'm a bartender with a fair bit of skill in the craft-cocktail-y side of things. I'll have my Level 2 Cicerone certification by the time I move down there, as well as my Level 1 Sommelier. I'm hoping to find a cool bar in need of a bartender. Failing that, somewhere I can wait tables that is reasonably respectable while I work my way into the Atlanta scene. Where should I look? I'll be living in the Virginia Highlands/Edgewood area, so hopefully somewhere around there.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

poop dood posted:

Hi! I'm moving from Richmond VA to Atlanta in June. I'm a bartender with a fair bit of skill in the craft-cocktail-y side of things. I'll have my Level 2 Cicerone certification by the time I move down there, as well as my Level 1 Sommelier. I'm hoping to find a cool bar in need of a bartender. Failing that, somewhere I can wait tables that is reasonably respectable while I work my way into the Atlanta scene. Where should I look? I'll be living in the Virginia Highlands/Edgewood area, so hopefully somewhere around there.

I don't know that anyone who posts in here works in restaurants or bars. I will say that in those two areas and the area in between are a lot of restaurants and bars, so it seems like a good place to look. Good luck.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

venutolo posted:

I don't know that anyone who posts in here works in restaurants or bars. I will say that in those two areas and the area in between are a lot of restaurants and bars, so it seems like a good place to look. Good luck.

please find a good job that pays actual money. do not make my mistake of accepting dry goods and foodstuffs.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I guess I was really hoping to hear from yall what the truly excellent bars are in the area. Any leads?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

poop dood posted:

I guess I was really hoping to hear from yall what the truly excellent bars are in the area. Any leads?

my read on atlanta's 'truly excellent' bar scene is that alcohol is alcohol and "craft" whatever has played itself out. that said, kimball house has outstanding cocktails, and there are some places around inman/highlands that go above and beyond. Ticonderoga club and bar mercado might be worth checking, cooks & soldiers, theres a place called 'the consulate' that is pretty wild in midtown.

there are tons of restaurants that make good cocktails, but I just don't really see the specific draw to particular places as much, because everyone does it nowadays, and so few people do it outstandingly.

that said, if I were aiming to be a somm or cocktail person, I'd be aiming for kimball house, staplehouse, ticonderoga, or maybe like bacchanalia

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

mindphlux posted:

that said, if I were aiming to be a somm or cocktail person, I'd be aiming for kimball house, staplehouse, ticonderoga, or maybe like bacchanalia

Seconding all of these, especially Kimball House and Ticonderoga for cocktails. Haven't been in a while but Holeman & Finch was one of the first serious cocktail spots in town and is still well regarded (though their main guy Greg Best left to open Ticonderoga). Amer in Inman Park is a proper cocktail bar with a focus on amaros and around the corner the downstairs bar at Beetlecat is pretty good too, if a bit kitschy. Also hip and kitschy, Golden Eagle is new and still figuring some stuff out but has a good cocktail program. Leon's in Decatur, 8 Arm in Poncey Highlands, and Ration and Dram in Kirkwood are all worth a look. Haven't been but Marcel's is supposed to have good cocktails. We also seem to have a bit of a tiki trend; not really my thing but if you're into it there are some newcomers trying to put a spin on the Trader Vic's formula. Eater Atlanta probably has some lists that would be helpful too.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
The Kimball House people are opening a place at Krog Street Market supposedly sometime this spring/summer. That might be a good place to investigate.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

poop dood posted:

Try and look for "The Giving Kitchen" stuff on facebook. They've helped place quite a few of my 'in the industry" friends at various places around Atlanta. Also, they're great folks.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
All very helpful stuff. Thanks yall!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Reporting back to say that I have an interview the week of when I move down there on the 23rd for Watchman's, the place Kimball House is opening in Krog Street Market, as well as for Kimball House itself. The hiring manager said she'd consider me for both places and we'd decide on which one works best. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, thread!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

poop dood posted:

Reporting back to say that I have an interview the week of when I move down there on the 23rd for Watchman's, the place Kimball House is opening in Krog Street Market, as well as for Kimball House itself. The hiring manager said she'd consider me for both places and we'd decide on which one works best. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, thread!

if you get the position, let me know! I can't wait to march in to the place and ask if 'poop dood' is working on shift to say hey. :)

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Wow yeah good luck. Those are both awesome places in the industry to work

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

poop dood posted:

Good luck. Kimball House is great and I'm excited for the Krog place. I believe that the bar manager at the Krog place will be someone I know.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I'll be visiting your fair city 5/18-5/21 to have talks about making a full return in June, and because real talk- I like ATL food > CHI food. I hope to make a lot more public-facing edibles in ATL later this summer.

But for next weekend- anything I must ingest?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

I'll be visiting your fair city 5/18-5/21 to have talks about making a full return in June, and because real talk- I like ATL food > CHI food. I hope to make a lot more public-facing edibles in ATL later this summer.

But for next weekend- anything I must ingest?

Welcome back-ish!

Talat Market would be my primary recommendation for something to eat that is new since you left.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Welcome back-ish!

Talat Market would be my primary recommendation for something to eat that is new since you left.

emerald city bagel aint bad if you like fish on bagels for lunch

second talat

I enjoy bar mercado in ksm, dunno if that was there before you left

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Got the gig at Watchman’s, very down with their approach to hospitality. Real, real dudes there. I’ve been getting better acquainted with my surroundings recently (this is day three of living here for me) and found out that I’m a mile or so away from Staplehouse and Golden Eagle. And I just looked up Beetlecat and it’s a mile and a half away and good lord it looks adorable. I think this city might rule. I’m happy to be here.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Also I forgot the original reason I started typing that post. Where are the good liquor stores around here? There’s a lot more fun amari and stuff down here and I don’t really know where to go for that stuff.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

poop dood posted:

Got the gig at Watchman’s, very down with their approach to hospitality. Real, real dudes there. I’ve been getting better acquainted with my surroundings recently (this is day three of living here for me) and found out that I’m a mile or so away from Staplehouse and Golden Eagle. And I just looked up Beetlecat and it’s a mile and a half away and good lord it looks adorable. I think this city might rule. I’m happy to be here.

Nice, congrats on the gig and welcome to Atlanta! I'm stoked for Watchman's, Kimball House is probably my favorite spot in town for a semi-fancy night out. They just do everything right -- service, food, oysters/caviar, coffee, cocktails (their amaro selection is particularly good). Here's hoping Watchman's isn't cursed like most of the full service places that open at Krog St seem to be.

For liquor stores, antisodachrist nailed the big ones -- Green's/Tower/Toco Giant, also Total Wine in Dunwoody and World of Beverage on Camp Creek are both a drive but are massive and generally have good selection and great prices. H&F Bottle Shop is worth checking out, it's small but usually has a few strange but good things. Mac's in midtown has a pretty good selection, especially whisk(e)ys. My spot for amari and other kinda weird things is Decatur Package Store, they know their poo poo and if they don't have it, they'll order it.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 29, 2018

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
My go to places in town are Green's on Ponce, but parking is a motherfucker there at the moment. Tower Package on Piedmont, and Toco Giant in the Toco Hills shopping center at Lavista and N Druid Hills. There is also the H&F Bottle shop in the Peachtree Battle shopping center in Buckhead, but never been there.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
haven't been to sushi hayakawa before, but going Friday. any ordering suggestions?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

mindphlux posted:

haven't been to sushi hayakawa before, but going Friday. any ordering suggestions?

I haven't been since they reopened but when I was going regularly I'd just ask Chef Art for an omakase or whatever he thought was best that night.

If you drink a bunch of saki/shochu the kinda sketchy karaoke place next door with private booths is a fun way to finish the night. If you follow that up with bowling and late night El Taco Veloz you'll have recreated my bachelor party.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lawen posted:

I haven't been since they reopened but when I was going regularly I'd just ask Chef Art for an omakase or whatever he thought was best that night.

If you drink a bunch of saki/shochu the kinda sketchy karaoke place next door with private booths is a fun way to finish the night. If you follow that up with bowling and late night El Taco Veloz you'll have recreated my bachelor party.

a+

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Omakase, but I can't recall if that is something you need to arrange ahead of time.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ok so which one of you is the 'foodie buddah'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

If he was on the forums I think we'd have known years ago. You're referring to foodiebuddha on IG? He's great.